ADVERTISEMENT

IT’s IOWA WEEK!! 2023 Edition

That’s nothing, one of the Flo guys have us getting blown out 21 to 12.
His picks weren’t crazy. Could happen esp if Haines sits as he assumed.

We’re better suited for tournaments than duals. Iowa might win the battle but PSU definitely wins the war.

Reactions: Gebmo
He picked Spencer by fall, Woods, Murin, Siebrecht, Kennedy and Cass by decision. He did say he thinks Barraclough goes at 157. Other guy picked Penn St 21-12. Had Spencer by fall, Woods and Warner by decision. Other 7 matches were decision for Penn St

Any chance Wil Betancourt makes an appearance? Rumored to, sooner or later. I'm thinking later.

Heard he's now weighing 125, is eligible, and has been handling Gary in the room.

Any chance Wil Betancourt makes an appearance? Rumored to, sooner or later. I'm thinking later.

Heard he's now weighing 125, is eligible, and has been handling Gary in the room.
While I would like to hear this I do note that Will is still not listed on the roster. Though I also will admit that they are not always the first to update.

Just the opposite. Askren and JD both had PSU winning 21-12 while CP had it 22-12 in our favor. Two of the three picked both SVN and Facundo to win and all three of them picked Kerk over Cass.

Ludicrous

He's not on the roster yet as noted, but that is unreliable.

I say there is no evidence, nor is it likely, he can beat Steen.

Pick your poison, but there is no way anyone gets sent out mid season for his first match vs Spencer. That's just plain cruel.

I would think if he were eligible, and if he won the spot we would have seen him last week.

Ludicrous

He's not on the roster yet as noted, but that is unreliable.

I say there is no evidence, nor is it likely, he can beat Steen.

Pick your poison, but there is no way anyone gets sent out mid season for his first match vs Spencer. That's just plain cruel.

I would think if he were eligible, and if he won the spot we would have seen him last week.

Someone earlier in week made an obscure post that Steen wouldn't be Spencer's opponent or something along those lines. I don't even think anyone replied to whoever posted it. Also, wasn't Wil a 133? He'd be a big 125 and against a small Steen, I could see him being able to beat him.

I’m probably not the only one who checked the roster in the past 48 hrs to see if anything sneaky happened.
Lol. I actually forgot about that post until 98 brought up Betterncourt in this thread. At the time I took notice and remember thinking it was strange no one asked what he meant by it. Or maybe someone did and I just missed it.

Reactions: slushhead
Someone earlier in week made an obscure post that Steen wouldn't be Spencer's opponent
Wasn't me. But now that you mention it, I seem to recall something more cryptic like "Steen won't lose to Spencer."

I also seem to recall hearing Wil would be eligible this January (because he wasn't earlier).

Lastly, my source, who lives near Manheim Township, didn't hear it from the board. He doesn't partake.

Wasn't me. But now that you mention it, I seem to recall something more cryptic like "Steen won't lose to Spencer."

I also seem to recall hearing Wil would be eligible this January (because he wasn't earlier).

Lastly, my source, who lives near Manheim Township, didn't hear it from the board. He doesn't partake.
You could be right. Now I'm thinking it was along the lines of "someone will lose to Spencer but it won't be Steen".

For sh*ts & giggles, let’s entertain someone other than Gary at 125. Why would the coaching staff make a move like that? I say that under the safe assumption Spencer pins anyone he goes against, if at 125. To me it would kind of reek of desperation and it would open the door for criticism rather than sticking with Gary like they have thus far.

While I would like to hear this I do note that Will is still not listed on the roster. Though I also will admit that they are not always the first to update.
Betancourt is on the roster at Trackwrestling, with the green check indicating he has been certified and is eligible.

He's listed there at 141, but that's just what he weighed at certification -- it's always 1-2 (sometimes even 3) classes high. I don't have a Track acct to see actual certifications -- anybody else?

Regardless, this is a white elephant. There's no evidence to believe he'd fare any better against Lee. Especially as his first match of the year.

Reactions: PSU Yinzer
Betancourt is on the roster at Trackwrestling, with the green check indicating he has been certified and is eligible.

He's listed there at 141, but that's just what he weighed at certification -- it's always 1-2 (sometimes even 3) classes high. I don't have a Track acct to see actual certifications -- anybody else?

Regardless, this is a white elephant. There's no evidence to believe he'd fare any better against Lee.
I agree. Spencer would pin Will
or Gary. One of them might last a little longer before they receive their medicine.

Regardless, this is a white elephant. There's no evidence to believe he'd fare any better against Lee. Especially as his first match of the year.
At best it saves us a point but that to me is unlikely. Only reason I see Cael throwing him out there is if he plans on going with Wil rest of year and the minimum match thing could come into play for qualifying. Admittedly i don't pay much attention or care enough to put much thought into minimum number of matches so I might be talking stupidity. Something I'm sure most of you have gotten use to by now.

At best it saves us a point but that to me is unlikely. Only reason I see Cael throwing him out there is if he plans on going with Wil rest of year and the minimum match thing could come into play for qualifying. Admittedly i don't pay much attention or care enough to put much thought into minimum number of matches so I might be talking stupidity. Something I'm sure most of you have gotten use to by now.
good point jts, that would make sense. could be part of the diabolical master plan 😜

Quite honestly I think Spencer Techs or Pins the rest of the nation not named Glory.

Glory's claim to fame might just be the only kid not to get bonused by Spencer this year, if he can figure out some way to keep it to a 7 point differential.

I honestly don't know what's up with these coaches, as there is film available on how SeaBass did it twice. Granted maybe only Glory can sniff SeaBass' athletic ability, so the game plan is meaningless if you don't have the tools to execute.

Everytime a kid ties up with Spencer 15 seconds into the 1st period, it's like seeing a lamb sent to slaughter. I have watched a half dozen matches and each time I say oh well, here we go again.

Dance, shoot from space, bide your time, don't pick bottom for god's sake, draw him to the edge and use it, take a call stall or two, milk any stalemate positions for every possible second, and someway, somehow, pray you can get to the third period before he tilts you 4x for the tech. If you make it to the 3rd and he's tired, maybe just maybe you can do a few things. I know about 1/1000th as much about wrestling as these top 10 kids at 125, but when they tie up and try to horse him around in the first period, they all look like idiots to me.

As for Bettancourt, Steen, Vespa, Howard with a cast, and Shindledecker. All will deliver the same result, unless Spencer agreed to a 5 to 1 tag team match, and we could have 2 kids on the mat at the same time. We might be able to eeke out a decision loss.

How threatened Spencer feels in a tieup.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSU Yinzer
Quite honestly I think Spencer Techs or Pins the rest of the nation not named Glory.

Glory's claim to fame might just be the only kid not to get bonused by Spencer this year, if he can figure out some way to keep it to a 7 point differential.

I honestly don't know what's up with these coaches, as there is film available on how SeaBass did it twice. Granted maybe only Glory can sniff SeaBass' athletic ability, so the game plan is meaningless if you don't have the tools to execute.

Everytime a kid ties up with Spencer 15 seconds into the 1st period, it's like seeing a lamb sent to slaughter. I have watched a half dozen matches and each time I say oh well, here we go again.

Dance, shoot from space, bide your time, don't pick bottom for god's sake, draw him to the edge and use it, take a call stall or two, milk any stalemate positions for every possible second, and someway, somehow, pray you can get to the third period before he tilts you 4x for the tech. If you make it to the 3rd and he's tired, maybe just maybe you can do a few things. I know about 1/1000th as much about wrestling as these top 10 kids at 125, but when they tie up and try to horse him around in the first period, they all look like idiots to me.

As for Bettancourt, Steen, Vespa, Howard with a cast, and Shindledecker. All will deliver the same result, unless Spencer agreed to a 5 to 1 tag team match, and we could have 2 kids on the mat at the same time. We might be able to eeke out a decision loss.

Have you considered that keeping space from Spencer is harder than you think it is?

He could come in and toss Lee into the advertising display in front of the match officials. Oops, wrong venue, but that was fun.

I did originally write that I thought it more likely to be later. So don't blame me for any white elephant.
He's listed there at 141, but that's just what he weighed at certification -- it's always 1-2 (sometimes even 3) classes high.
I was also told he made weight before the MSU dual after he was asked to get to 125.

Somehow when Goggles said it was ludicrous, it made me think it was more likely to be true. With each post since, it's sounding more and more to me like a reasonable possibility.

Reactions: ccdiver

The film that needs studied is Spencer's mom putting him down and not letting him up.

Reactions: RandyL
You know what I love about this dual? It's all the attention it's getting, because barring significant injury to Penn State wrestlers, the National Championship is a done deal.

Reactions: baccafarmer
All this discussion about Spencer and Seabass got me to thinking.
Seabass beat Spencer twice, he also beat RBY. How good must Nick Lee truly be?

Reactions: danoftw
Putting my tin foil hat on here. After the clown show drake told the twins he was entering the portal. Drake 125- Spencer-133 going forward.

Vegas knows

Reactions: danoftw
For sh*ts & giggles, let’s entertain someone other than Gary at 125. Why would the coaching staff make a move like that? I say that under the safe assumption Spencer pins anyone he goes against, if at 125. To me it would kind of reek of desperation and it would open the door for criticism rather than sticking with Gary like they have thus far.
I think some of us, in enjoying the buildup to a fun night, like to enhance it with a little drama, even if fictional. It also helps pass the time while we wait.

It would only make sense if they were able to use Ayala who would bonus Steen pretty easily. Then (from Iowa's perspective) you pick up at least 3 from Spencer over RBY, ending up at least 7-0. But Steen would beat Aiden Harris, so you're much more likely to end up 3-3 instead of your almost guaranteed 6-3/4 lead if you stay put.

It just doesn't make sense for a dual that is 100% winnable if you win the toss ups that (again from the iowa coaches' perspective) you're going to win.
Largely agree, except I see RBY winning the match or losing by a decision as the most likely outcome. So you go from 6 points to 0 points, or at best 3 points heading into the first toss-up. Iowa would have to go 5-0 in toss-ups to have a chance.

ADVERTISEMENT