ADVERTISEMENT

IT’s IOWA WEEK!! 2023 Edition

You are not going to believe this but I am literally looking at the Murins house right now. Lol. Btw, if you gotta come this way roads in ebensburg are getting slick.
It is Strittmatters favorite day of the year. All his boys are back in town getting their butts kicked. I bet he will be with Lar and Murin’s dad Friday

Reactions: johnstownsteel
I have no clue what he certed at, but if it was 125, he COULD have started decent a while ago and get there by Friday.

You’re not buying it, are ya??
LOL, I get that you're not really serious, but it definitely makes no sense for RBY to cut. At 125, he's a pretty heavy underdog against Spencer and Shunk/Shindledecker vs Teske is going to give away 133 as well. That's basically looking for a way to lose from Penn State's perspective.

Does anyone think this dual will start at a weight other than 125?

I think if the coaches don't agree to the traditional starting weight, it goes to a coin toss, and Iowa wins the toss, then Brands would likely choose to start at 157. That would reduce Levi's recovery time from weigh ins while increasing Lee's, Woods', and Murin's. We know Beau doesn't have a weight management issue, and Cael has said Levi isn't long for 157. Starting at 157 could also inform Iowa's bigger guns of how much they might need to win by.

If Cael wins the coin toss, I see him starting at the traditional 125. But if not, I'd start at 197 so Carter and Aaron have the opportunity to close it out in style.

Cael ,I think just gave claw one last shot to show him what he's got, it's called respecting your wrestlers.

I think if the coaches don't agree to the traditional starting weight, it goes to a coin toss, and Iowa wins the toss, then Brands would likely choose to start at 157. That would reduce Levi's recovery time from weigh ins while increasing Lee's, Woods', and Murin's. We know Beau doesn't have a weight management issue, and Cael has said Levi isn't long for 157. Starting at 157 could also inform Iowa's bigger guns of how much they might need to win by.

If Cael wins the coin toss, I see him starting at the traditional 125. But if not, I'd start at 197 so Carter and Aaron have the opportunity to close it out in style.
99% chance dual starts at 125

You are not going to believe this but I am literally looking at the Murins house right now. Lol. Btw, if you gotta come this way roads in ebensburg are getting slick.
animal-house-john-belushi.gif

Recovery times is for wussies.

JK 98, good points!

I hope they agree to start at 141 so that they will know whether 125 and 133 mean anything for the final outcome and whether letting Spencer bump might cost them the dual or whether they can just let the big boys go at it consequence free. Ending with Spencer vs RBY would be far more exciting than C-Star and Brooks.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
I hope they agree to start at 141 so that they will know whether 125 and 133 mean anything for the final outcome and whether letting Spencer bump might cost them the dual or whether they can just let the big boys go at it consequence free. Ending with Spencer vs RBY would be far more exciting than C-Star and Brooks.
Everyone stop with the Spencer vs RBY chatter.

Guys ranked in top 5 moved up to wrestle guys ranked in the teens and 20s.

Not quite the same as #1 moving up to face another #1.
I seem to recall #1 Seth Gross at 133 moving up to face #1 Bryce Meredith at 141 in a dual in 2018. Your point - it doesn’t happen is largely true, and maybe i am mis remembering, but its the only example I can remember.

The RBY Lee match doesn't make much sense right now. Spencer has more to lose than RBY.
Spencer is locking himself in for the Hodge and also one of the best ever.. A loss right now for Spencer puts the shine on RBY for the Hodge and makes it that Lee is still a great wrestler of all time but removes him from the top 5 IMO...
This isn't worth it for the Hawkeyes either, they need Spencer as one of the all time greats for recruiting..
Now a win for Spencer puts him near the top but it's not worth the risk..

A logo based on Dietrich's legendary Suplex of Taylor at the 1972 Olympics (Suplay is the French term - it is often used Internationally just as the French term Par Terre is used for Mat Wrestling. Not sure the history of why Int'l Wrestling often uses French terms). Love it. I still watch that vid and think it is one of the most mind-boggling things I've ever seen. Here's the link if anyone wants to watch:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski and danoftw

Both guys like to start at 125.
If they can't agree on a start weight it is a random draw.

NOTA BENE: Radio availability has change: Friday night's dual has been moved from Bigfoot Legends to WOWY (97.7,103.1,103.5 FM) for those who need to listen via over-the-air broadcast or as a backup to GoPSUSports should the broadcast relay to the application be delayed in starting or problematic.

In the pinned Streaming Video & Audio options spreadsheet you can also find the various website streams for the WOWY (and others). It is also accessible via iHeartRadio both via web & iOS applications.

NOTA BENE: Radio availability has change: Friday night's dual has been moved from Bigfoot Legends to WOWY (97.7,103.1,103.5 FM) for those who need to listen via over-the-air broadcast or as a backup to GoPSUSports should the broadcast relay to the application be delayed in starting or problematic.

In the pinned Streaming Video & Audio options spreadsheet you can also find the various website streams for the WOWY (and others). It is also accessible via iHeartRadio both via web & iOS applications.
I hope BTN puts a regular show on prior to this. Not some stupid pumpkin pusher game that'll go on forever.

Did that change back? A few years back they changed from random draw to coin flip --> winning coach picks. Mark up here. I don't see anything in the recent rule changes but always possible I just missed it!

http://www.ncaapublications.com/DownloadPublication.aspx?download=WR23.pdf

No change back. Page 23 of the "2021-22 and 2022-23 Wrestling Rules Book" has it a coin toss.

A logo based on Dietrich's legendary Suplex of Taylor at the 1972 Olympics (Suplay is the French term - it is often used Internationally just as the French term Par Terre is used for Mat Wrestling. Not sure the history of why Int'l Wrestling often uses French terms). Love it. I still watch that vid and think it is one of the most mind-boggling things I've ever seen. Here's the link if anyone wants to watch:

His head was almost crush like a garbage truck running over an apple

His head was almost crush like a garbage truck running over an apple

Still remember the first time I saw it - my first wrestling coach had footage of it from the Olympics. Taylor (was an MSU HWT) was the Olympic Favorite (he was also Jimmy Carr's roommate on the US National Team at Olympics) - anyway our coach showed us the move to demonstrate the amount of commitment it took for the German, Dietrich, to do this move. You can't bail on what he did - the amount of strength, skill, commitment and just flat courage, it takes to hit that move on someone the size of Taylor (who was 400 lbs at the time, I believe) is just indescribable.

I hope they agree to start at 141 so that they will know whether 125 and 133 mean anything for the final outcome
Appreciate the sentiment. I don't think Iowa would do this, given Real can benefit from recovery. He seems to have gassed some in the third period a couple times.
If they can't agree on a start weight it is a random draw
Nope.
Did that change back?
Nope.
No change back.
Correct.
Both staffs are traditionalists.
Nope. A traditionalist staff would never eschew the end of match handshake line.

Reactions: ccdiver
Still remember the first time I saw it - my first wrestling coach had footage of it from the Olympics. Taylor (was an MSU HWT) was the Olympic Favorite (he was also Jimmy Carr's roommate on the US National Team at Olympics) - anyway our coach showed us the move to demonstrate the amount of commitment it took for the German, Dietrich, to do this move. You can't bail on what he did - the amount of strength, skill, commitment and just flat courage, it takes to hit that move on someone the size of Taylor (who was 400 lbs at the time, I believe) is just indescribable.
He actually went to Iowa St. Two time NCAA champ.

Reactions: nitlion6
Highly doubtful that the coaches will do anything other than start at 125, imo. Another opinion is that an RBY vs Lee match isn't in the cards.

While looking forward to all 10 bouts, and assuming all the listed starters go, I'm most looking forward to the young guys to see where there are against top-notch competition under the bright lights. Tbh, aside from empathizing with a wrestler that does lose, seeing where they are in their development is more important than wins or losses. Winning is second though, so there's that :) .

Reactions: Gebmo and Ski
ADVERTISEMENT