ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Wright needs to recruit dominant big men instead of this four guard

I'm at the game in Pittsburgh and thinking the same thing

I'm making a mental note to never pick Nova in a bracket while wright is there. I think you can win a good percentage of your games with guard oriented schemes, but you can't win championships without an inside game.

Just saw the score. At UNC vs Arkansas game so haven't seen Nova today but this is what I was worried about. Nova always has good guard play but they always run into a team in the tourney that extends the D giving Villanova a poor shooting night and they get bounced. Still hoping they go on a run and come back tonight.

Re: I'm at the game in Pittsburgh and thinking the same thing

Bottom line is that Nova will not be the draw for recruits, other than in Philly where PSU is trying to make inroads, now that their conference is not getting the publicity that the old Big East got. Look at the athletes on NC State compared to Nova. And as you guys pointed out, the big athletes.

Yep. Great seasons under Wright but Unlike the elite coaches he won't win a championship.

Well, The Illinois Gatorade POY Is Committed To 'Nova!

He's playing in the Illinois state finals tonight.....!

PSU won't make im roads in a Philly for basketball. Not with Chambers at least.

Don't see an Illinois player listed on Scout as a commit. For 2015 just

3 players with only a 3 star kid big guy. For 2016 there is a 5 star center from MA.

Please....a #1 seed? Wayyyyy overrated again. Hopefully Chambers should out recruit Wright going forward.

NC State a tough matchup for them. A number of long athletic kids up front and the one guard is super quick.

And I still think that although Nova has a good team, playing in a weaker league does sometimes get you over rated and does not get you in enough tough games to prepare for the tournament.... which is why I thought Arizona was more deserving of a number 1 seek. But once the ball is tossed up the seeds don't matter anyway....

I think I just heard the NC State guys huddle talk about our pres

picking against them....

Arch picked a bad night to go cold. Bad loss to a so-so team

overall. Nova's great season over in the first weekend - busted a few brackets, no doubt.

PG Jalen Brunson / Stevenson HS / Chose 'Nova Over Ill!

Dad was a good player, there s/b some You Tube stuff on him.

Haven't seen anything anywhere that he's NOT going to 'Nova.....!

Isn't Mike Watkins, the 4 star 6'8" Center 2015 PSU recruit from Philly?

Maybe he's the kind of athletic big man that Nova could have used tonight....

Re: PG Jalen Brunson / Stevenson HS / Chose 'Nova Over Ill!

Yea that's true. Weren't we talking about them getting big men that can compete with teams like the one that beat them tonight?

Going into the tourney a #1 seeding was questionable for Nova based on strength of schedule. NC State benefited from playing a tougher schedule.

What I don't understand is how the perception is Nova played a weak schedule, but their league got 60% of teams into the tournament. The Big East was #2 in the RPI.

On a side note, I have to laugh at the Rutgers fan on the Nova board ripping the Cats when they totally suck in basketball.

Bitter, bitter disappointment.

You cannot shoot 31% and miss close in all night long. A ghastly 19-61. NC State was so much bigger and stronger - our recruiting is, as someone suggested, built on a guard orientated 3-pt-shooting offense. Not good enough.

As for Phila, last pure Phila guy we had was Kyle Lowery. We recruit from all over the Northeast. But Jay needs to adapt - you have to have a creditable inside presence. I want to see big tough guys in there and I don't care if they can shoot - let them get their points on garbage, play tough inside D and bang.

I hate to say this but guys came up very small. Ochefu, Arch and Ennis combined for 5-27 and 0-9 from three. The only way we kept it close was Pinkston and Hilliard never quit and fought to the bitter end. They were carried out on their shields and did everything possible to do. They got zero help and guys need to do some self examination below the belt line. There are more than a couple players that are way too much mustard and not near enough hot dog.

Another thing VU MUST do is improve the non-con. The BE is what it is - good league, not great, with a bunch of pretty good teams and Villanova. If we have to go on the road, then go on the road. We had way too many weak sisters. The biggest names were Michigan, Illinois and Syracuse and none of them were worth a hoot. Not nearly good enough. And don't give me RPI. Go out and play a legit Top Ten team and a couple for sure NCAA teams (from big conferences, not VCU) and give it your best shot. And if you're on the road then so much the better.

I love Jay and he's not going anywhere. But he, like any coach who loses when he really needs to get it done, he has to look in the mirror and make the appropriate adjustments. Winning the Big East Tournament is always a great and worthwhile accomplishment, but the season has to go down as a failure overall. This team was Final Eight or bust and we just did not get it done. It is bitter - make no mistake about it.

When they're cold from the outside, there is nowhere else to go

We've seen it far too often --- Nova has very good teams BUT, they can be beaten in NCAA Championship play if their outside shooting is off.

We actually did get it inside, only to go 1-7

with a missed dunk. And the 1 was a wide open made dunk off a good pass. Otherwise the middle was a total doughnut. Microscopic performance by a guy projected to the NBA.

Cambers has brought in more philly talent than the last 2 coaches combined

I hope you are joking

Very similar to their loss to Georgetown. When the jumpers are not going down it can get ugly. Despite shooting 31% they were still in the game. Not getting some cheap baskets from a "big" makes the difference when not shooting well. For some reason Jay has not been able to bring in much inside presence in recent years. He "really" needs to re-think that effort. But, a great year and a lot of quality wins. Villanova will be very good again next year, maybe better. BUT their is no BIG coming in to provide inside scoring.

Whelp! I guess Arizona should have been the Number 1 seed. Big surprise there.

this was an ez win gone wrong

yes, it would be nice to have a big body in there. frankly, they have so many guys who can go lights-out with the 3 that somebody always stepped up and picked up the slack.

if they were even remotely on tonight, they kill nc state... to play that horribly and lose by one possession says something good about something that was pretty bad.

i really felt that until they played a team that could get out and defend the 3 they would roll thru the tourney. did not foresee everybody going stone cold for so long.

so i think jay's approach actually worked well... it was just one of those things. that said, i'd be pleased to see one or 2 wide bodies show up to plow the road.

fortunately, this loss frees me up to get back to my life. most of these teams hold no fascination for me, so while i'll check in to see who is advancing, i no longer need to pay close attention. guess that's my upside for this mess.

As A KU Fan, I Share Your Disappointment / Pain Annually!

And with Wichita State / ND / Kentucky looming on my dance card, I'm sure I'm gonna share your disappointment soon, maybe even this afternoon.

I've had my share.....more than my share.....of early outs.....Bucknell and Northern Iowa immediately come to mind. Have had very good teams just not get it done, sometimes because of playing / shooting poorly, sometimes because opponents played great. Have been eliminated several times because of injuries, key players getting hurt late in the season or even in the tournament itself. Happened as recently as last year to the player ultimately chosed #3 in the NBA draft a few months later.

But you have to hang in there and hopefully the magic will show up. Danny (Manning) and The Miracles weren't the best team in the country when they won it and the team that hit a shot at the buzzer and went on to beat Rose and Memphis State in overtime probably wasn't the best team that year either.

Hey, you've got the great win over Georgetown that only 'Nova fans thought could happen. And most schools have NEVER won a championship or last did so before they were born.

It's disappointing now and I truly understand your disappointment, but 'Nova had a great year, you should be proud. Years like this don't come along that often.

Cold from the outside???? They missed at least 5 uncontested layups!!!

Ochefu played his worst game since last year.... The centerpiece of this Villanova team was and is Hiilard not Arcidiacono. Hillary delivered and still couldn't get the ball in the basket on at least 2 relatively easy drives.

Re: ^^^^^THIS!^^^^ *

Absolutely agree
Ochefu, Arch and Ennis sh&t the bed.
Jay should have played Hart regardless of his 2 quick fouls.
Having followed Villanova for 30 years this was one year that I thought that 5 very good guards could not all go cold. Four did and I
believe those four went 1-16.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT