ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Burrow & LSU vs Next Season’s Penn St Offense

Mudge1026

Gold Member
Dec 17, 2002
Burrow went from 57.4% to 77.9%, from 208.3 yds per game to 362.7, from 12 Tds-2500 yds to 48 Tds-4715 yds

So what changed? The addition of Joe Brady as passing game coordinator, and a receiving corp that pretty much didn’t exist in ‘18. Justin Jefferson was the only contributor from a year ago. His stats are:

‘18 50 Rec 788 yds 4 Tds
‘19 88 Rec 1207 yds 14 Tds

As to the other contributors:

Ja’Marr Chase (So)

‘18 17 Rec 220 yds 2 Tds
‘19 73 Rec 1498 yds 18 Tds

Terrace Marshall (So)

‘18 12 Rec 192 yds 0 Tds
‘19 37 Rec 545 yds 10 Tds

Thaddeus Moss (Jr)

‘16 6 Rec 49 yds 1 Td
‘19 38 Rec 435 yds 1 Td

So as you can see, three out of the four receivers had no impact whatsoever prior to the ‘19 season. These kids blew up together and Burrow obviously improved. But his numbers from ‘18 to ‘19 are startling. Can any honest LSU fan see what was coming, that Burrow was this capable?

Now before any of you say, “Mudge, LSU is National Champion, you’re dreaming”:confused: No, I’m not predicting anything like that. The point is, Penn St could blow up next season if we can find two more receivers.

Think Jahon Dotson is one piece to the puzzle, but who’s to say John Dunmore, TJ Jones, Daniel George, or Cam Sullivan-Brown couldn’t arrive. How about Parker Washington or KeAndre Lambert? We’ve had true freshman burst on to the scene before, why not now?

All I know is I’m downright excited about this new offense, and how Kirk Ciarrocca can develop our receivers. Two 1000 yard receivers at Minny is f@cking impressive.

Sean Clifford’s numbers of 59.2%, 2654 yds, 23 Tds, 204.15 yds/game are eerily similar to Burrow’s ‘18 numbers save for the Tds.

A lot of you guys are down on Clifford. I hear comments that we need an “elite” qb to take the next step. Well maybe Clifford is that guy. He was a highly recruited 4* qb who Urban Myer praised in the preseason. He’s won qb competitions for accuracy at football camps. It’s hard to go thru your possessions when there’s no time to throw. Look what KC did with Tanner Morgan and Clifford is far more talented.

I believe KC is the “QB Whisperer”. Lot to look forward to.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News