ADVERTISEMENT

Joe never would have gotten Miles Sanders or Lamont Wade

I know I will get a ton of negative feedback regarding this post, but all due respect to JoePa (and I appreciate everything he did for Penn State), Joe never would have gotten Miles Sanders from Woodland Hills and Lamont Wade from Clairton. Joe should have been gone years before November 9, 2011, for football reasons. He was unable to make visits to recruits homes, and many kids had a difficult time relating to people of Joe's age. Again, this is no disrespect to a man who built Penn State football into a national power, not to mention the $4 million dollars he gave for Patee. Terry Smith played at Gateway High School, played at Penn State, and coached at Gateway High School. Kids relate to Terry, and Coach Franklin. We are extremely fortunate to have the coaching staff we currently have. I hope James Franklin is our coach for many years to come! WE ARE!
Let it go, and enjoy what the situation is now.

Reactions: 91Joe95
I know this will sound douchey but at what time do we stop chasing down this rabbit hole? I understand the discussion and I lived through the ENTIRE period of Joe's head coaching. I don't think Bama fans seemed as obsessed with comparing everything to Bear as our fan base does with Joe. I get it and how feelings will remain because of the dismissal and tarnishing. But at some point, the FOOTBALL aspect at least has to move on from Rip, Joe, and O'Brien doesn't it?

This team just completed arguably the most satisfying season on field and the recruiting cycle seems to be gathering ridiculous momentum but this shows up?!?! I'm focused on USC, the Rose Bowl, and the prospects of some really special stuff that might happen in the next 2-3 years. For the love of Christ.

Different era, certainly, but a couple of thoughts:
Had Joe been able to go out as he should have been allowed to, I think the comparison talk would be significantly less than it is now. People who look like me are still angry and bitter and saddened by how JVP was treated and how he is overlooked not only nationally, but within PSU's athletic offices as well. He deserved to be honored then and now, and the media and his own PSU athletics should be doing the honoring.
Ray Perkins caught a ton of flack for 'not being Bear Bryant', even though he was hand-picked by Bear to follow him. He was compared to Bear with every loss and coaching decision. It just was not as much in our faces with no internet, but to someone who followed college football every day such as I did, I saw it. I admired Bear, and wasn't a fan of Perkins, but I recall thinking this poor guy was never going to win over the fans or Bama media. And people said of Bear like they said of Lombardi - don't be the guy who follows the legend, be the guy who follows the guy who follows the legend.
I want to do my part in honoring JVP as I can, so I will defend him with as much objectivity as I can muster. Despite being a huge admirer of his, I was pretty critical of him at times over the last few seasons.

I think one aspect of what you say is critical, recruiting the kid versus recruiting the parents. You can't IGNORE either but recruiting the parents is likely not to be nearly as important as it once was. I know I hear constantly "it's my life" from my kids. Face facts, kids exercise a lot more control and influence in decision making. If one approach favored or focused more on the parents, I can be pretty confident that this approach is not as successful as it once was. I am pretty sure I know who cleaned up when it came to recruiting parents.

We have had at least a couple of these - Vidal Hazelton and Deion Walker are two that immediately come to mind. Probably Wimbush as well to some extent. In these cases, high star kids eventually called the shots and made the call.

Times are different and I am not saying that kids call ALL the shots. I can tell you with 100% certainty that Joe made a huge impression on the parents of Evan Royster. But still, I think the tide has turned here.

We are WELL positioned with the coach we have right now I'll tell you that. Sit back and enjoy.
It depends on the kid. Miles Sanders is one where Mama controlled the recruitment. Kaindoh's father is running the show there (over mama). Last year Gary's Mom was heading his recruitment.

In general though, I agree. Kids are less inclined to allow their parents to make the decision for them now than they were back in the day.

The year is 2016. That is all that matters.

Live in the present, not the past.
'The past is never dead. It's not even past.' -- William Faulkner

'There is no present or future -- only the past, happening over and over again -- now.' -- Eugene O'Neill

Well I would have to say that he got plenty right there. This is something many of us have thought I am sure but the problem is that there is no delicate way to make that statement. I guess the rub is that many think that it does not need to be brought up. The OP knew he was going to take heat for this opinion and he was right.
He didn't get anything right and to know that doesn't require a close reading. So sorry. :)

I think one aspect of what you say is critical, recruiting the kid versus recruiting the parents. You can't IGNORE either but recruiting the parents is likely not to be nearly as important as it once was. I know I hear constantly "it's my life" from my kids. Face facts, kids exercise a lot more control and influence in decision making. If one approach favored or focused more on the parents, I can be pretty confident that this approach is not as successful as it once was. I am pretty sure I know who cleaned up when it came to recruiting parents.

We have had at least a couple of these - Vidal Hazelton and Deion Walker are two that immediately come to mind. Probably Wimbush as well to some extent. In these cases, high star kids eventually called the shots and made the call.

Times are different and I am not saying that kids call ALL the shots. I can tell you with 100% certainty that Joe made a huge impression on the parents of Evan Royster. But still, I think the tide has turned here.

We are WELL positioned with the coach we have right now I'll tell you that. Sit back and enjoy.
I agree to some extent. Parents do make a difference though perhaps less so than in the past. It seems that Kaindoh may be an example of a young man who is calling his own shots, as you described.

Had Joe been able to go out as he should have been allowed to, I think the comparison talk would be significantly less than it is now. People who look like me are still angry and bitter and saddened by how JVP was treated and how he is overlooked not only nationally, but within PSU's athletic offices as well. He deserved to be honored then and now, and the media and his own PSU athletics should be doing the honoring.
Ray Perkins caught a ton of flack for 'not being Bear Bryant', even though he was hand-picked by Bear to follow him. He was compared to Bear with every loss and coaching decision. It just was not as much in our faces with no internet, but to someone who followed college football every day such as I did, I saw it. I admired Bear, and wasn't a fan of Perkins, but I recall thinking this poor guy was never going to win over the fans or Bama media. And people said of Bear like they said of Lombardi - don't be the guy who follows the legend, be the guy who follows the guy who follows the legend.
I want to do my part in honoring JVP as I can, so I will defend him with as much objectivity as I can muster. Despite being a huge admirer of his, I was pretty critical of him at times over the last few seasons.

Joe was 85 years old. They let him stay 15 years longer than he should have. And Joe was treated like a king for years. Joe hired his incompetent son and let him run the offense. Everywhere but "Happy Valley" that is called nepotism. When the "dark years" hit he told PSU fans to "lower their expectations". I am happy to have a young energetic coach that knows he is accountable for his performance and an exciting team again. You and those of your ilk can continue to live in the past. I prefer the present..

That doesn't "seem to be" changing.

That HAS changed.

Woody High and Clairton have been checked off, only Aliquippa is left.

And we're coming for Aliquippa very very soon.

I said that "It seems to be changing" read it again...

Reactions: nittany dave
Joe was 85 years old. They let him stay 15 years longer than he should have. And Joe was treated like a king for years. Joe hired his incompetent son and let him run the offense. Everywhere but "Happy Valley" that is called nepotism. When the "dark years" hit he told PSU fans to "lower their expectations". I am happy to have a young energetic coach that knows he is accountable for his performance and an exciting team again. You and those of your ilk can continue to live in the past. I prefer the present..

There's a difference between living in the past and honoring it. I choose to honor it, and I believe it is an extremely important part of who we are and how we got here. I'm still giving as much money as I ever have to the NLC and buying season tickets for multiple sports and going to away games.... all in the present (and future). Me and those of my ilk are also very happy to have an energetic football* coach who is accountable and who is giving us exciting football. That was going to happen post-JVP, and I looked forward to it for a number of years. But during that time, me and those of my ilk were still aware enough to admire and respect JVP and all he had done to build PSU both athletically and educationally.

*and basketball and wrestling and hockey and....

Your other opinions on length of stay and how Joe was treated (one person's "king" is another's simple show of respect), and your opinions of Jay are inconsequential to me and those of my ilk. Have you ever looked around at coaching staffs across the country at the higher levels and noticed how many head coaches have their sons on their staffs? A good many. Your lack of awareness of that fact does not mean that Jay was a bad coach.

You and those of your ilk can go.... off and choose to do whatever you want regarding PSU's football past, present, and future. If you cannot see that honoring the past and enjoying the present and being excited about the future are not mutually exclusive, then I don't hold your opinion in high regard, and I doubt many of my ilk do. Therefore, it makes little difference to me or those of my ilk.

Otherwise, Merry Christmas to you and yours, Osprey.

I know I will get a ton of negative feedback regarding this post, but all due respect to JoePa (and I appreciate everything he did for Penn State), Joe never would have gotten Miles Sanders from Woodland Hills and Lamont Wade from Clairton. Joe should have been gone years before November 9, 2011, for football reasons. He was unable to make visits to recruits homes, and many kids had a difficult time relating to people of Joe's age. Again, this is no disrespect to a man who built Penn State football into a national power, not to mention the $4 million dollars he gave for Patee. Terry Smith played at Gateway High School, played at Penn State, and coached at Gateway High School. Kids relate to Terry, and Coach Franklin. We are extremely fortunate to have the coaching staff we currently have. I hope James Franklin is our coach for many years to come! WE ARE!
So, let me get this straight. NittanyLogan Dave has an accurate opinion that Paterno stayed too long and Dave gets bashed. Bashed for telling the TRUTH. JUST BECAUSE HE IS NOT A BOARD REGULAR. JOKE. I support these statements. One further, if Joe had retired, no sanctions from NCAA. Surprised this never came up. Joe had nothing to do with it, bit NCAA made him scapegoat

Last edited:

Having a bad shopping season or a totally miserable life? Merry Christmas, now enjoy "ignore".

Some people are capable of honoring the past and enjoying the present at the same time, hard concept to grasp for you I know. That's why I typed it really slow for your simple mind.

Reactions: m.knox
There's a difference between living in the past and honoring it. I choose to honor it, and I believe it is an extremely important part of who we are and how we got here. I'm still giving as much money as I ever have to the NLC and buying season tickets for multiple sports and going to away games.... all in the present (and future). Me and those of my ilk are also very happy to have an energetic football* coach who is accountable and who is giving us exciting football. That was going to happen post-JVP, and I looked forward to it for a number of years. But during that time, me and those of my ilk were still aware enough to admire and respect JVP and all he had done to build PSU both athletically and educationally.

Your other opinions on length of stay and how Joe was treated (one person's "king" is another's simple show of respect), and your opinions of Jay are inconsequential to me and those of my ilk. Have you ever looked around at coaching staffs across the country at the higher levels and noticed how many head coaches have their sons on their staffs? A good many. Your lack of awareness of that fact does not mean that Jay was a bad coach.

You and those of your ilk can go.... off and choose to do whatever you want regarding PSU's football past, present, and future. If you cannot see that honoring the past and enjoying the present and being excited about the future are not mutually exclusive, then I don't hold your opinion in high regard, and I doubt many of my ilk do. Therefore, it makes little difference to me or those of my ilk.

And a Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Honoring the past means 1965 to 1999, and that magic in 2005.

It does NOT mean honoring a 29 recruit class, of which 22 flamed out. It does NOT mean honoring 5 guys calling offensive plays at the same time, and it does NOT mean honoring the choice to play a kid in Madison Wisconsin, who did not belong on any D1 field, to throw 20 incomplete passes out of 27, only to burn the other kids redshirt the next week for a god damn Hail Mary throw against Purdue.

Big difference. The past had plenty of good, plenty of great, but it had it's share of things that wouldn't have happened had Joe simply let go and gotten on with his life outside of his position.

None of this has anything to do with the scandal or the sanctions.

Reactions: Osprey Lion
So, let me get this straight. NittanyLogan Dave has an accurate opinion that Paterno stayed too long and Dave gets bashed. Bashed for telling the TRUTH. JUST BECAUSE HE IS NOT A BOARD REGULAR. JOKE. I suppose these statement.

You must know by now that the most important thing to most here is Joe and his legacy.
The majority never met him but he did so much for them. At least one watches Christmas movies
and thinks about Joe (Santa?). Posting a negative remark or what is perceived as one will
bring a quick response from his minions.

You must know by now that the most important thing to most here is Joe and his legacy.
The majority never met him but he did so much for them. At least one watches Christmas movies
and thinks about Joe (Santa?). Posting a negative remark or what is perceived as one will
bring a quick response from his minions.

Troll...... Go back to hating something else.

Some people are capable of honoring the past and enjoying the present at the same time, hard concept to grasp for you I know. That's why I typed it really slow for your simple mind.

I guess you don't understand that I or anyone else can read your message at the same speed no matter how slowly it is typed. Is that a hard concept for you to grasp?

What is the point of this post other than to antagonize people?It's entirely pointless given the fact that 2011 was going to be Joe's last year. He would not have been here anyway. Obviously, towards the end, Coach Paterno was not the closer he once was but Coach Franklin still has a long way to go before he was the recruiter that Joe Paterno was for the vast majority of his tenure. That is not a criticism of James Franklin. It is simply stating a fact.

Reactions: Bob78
Honoring the past means 1965 to 1999, and that magic in 2005.

It does NOT mean honoring a 29 recruit class, of which 22 flamed out. It does NOT mean honoring 5 guys calling offensive plays at the same time, and it does NOT mean honoring the choice to play a kid in Madison Wisconsin, who did not belong on any D1 field, to throw 20 incomplete passes out of 27, only to burn the other kids redshirt the next week for a god damn Hail Mary throw against Purdue.

Big difference. The past had plenty of good, plenty of great, but it had it's share of things that wouldn't have happened had Joe simply let go and gotten on with his life outside of his position.

None of this has anything to do with the scandal or the sanctions.

You're honoring on-the-field stuff only (yet curiously ignoring 2006-2011). I'm honoring the overall Grand Experiment and Success With Honor.

To me, that means that even in the dark years of frustrating, disappointing performances and losing records, we could be proud of a program and its coaches and players that produced far more good than otherwise when it came to off the field.

In a 46 season career, and 62 seasons overall, there was bound to be some bad years and some bad kids. I'll take our ratio in that regard, combined with the hundreds of wins and multiple national championships, over any other program in Div. 1.

And agreed, none of that has anything to do with Sandusky or the idiotic sanctions.

You're honoring on-the-field stuff only (yet curiously ignoring 2006-2011). I'm honoring the overall Grand Experiment and Success With Honor.

To me, that means that even in the dark years of frustrating, disappointing performances and losing records, we could be proud of a program and its coaches and players that produced far more good than otherwise when it came to off the field.

In a 46 season career, and 62 seasons overall, there was bound to be some bad years and some bad kids. I'll take our ratio in that regard, combined with the hundreds of wins and multiple national championships, over any other program in Div. 1.

And agreed, none of that has anything to do with Sandusky or the idiotic sanctions.

90% of it was glorius
10% of it was unnecessary

At the end of the day, I'll take it. And as you mentioned, none of this is about sanctions or scandal, this is all about what transpired from 65 to 2010.

...but 5 coaches calling plays and that 6 for 26 in Madison in 2004, really REALLY bothered me. But yes, in the BIG picture, it's miniscule.

What is the point? God Bless his soul Joe has been gone for how long? There are no answers for some questions. Are you saying at age 46 or 47 Joe would not have recruited top talent? He did deliver 2 national championships and got screwed out of at least 2 others. I don't give a damn what the star system says, its about results. He must have clearly been the greatest coach to ever walk the planet. He couldn't recruit and he had assistant coaches that were useless and yes men. Then he hired his idiot son..... yet he won 409 games. Amazing! I'm excited as hell about this years team and the future under James Franklin. I've got my Rose Bowl tickets and I follow the recruiting success with great anticipation. But stop this please.....don't embarrass any current college coach except Urban Meyer and Nick Saban by comparing them with Joe Paterno.

Good post my man. I guess what I am saying is that Joe's contributions will never be duplicated again at a university regarding its image (good for most, bad for others), duration, on field success measured by victories, fundraising, impact on players, etc. In that regard, there is no debate. But when it comes to on-field, recruiting, game management, etc, what's the point really? And I am not saying this to bang on the OP. It's a free message board and I won't pass judgement on his intent. It was something that obviously interested him and that's OK. But at some point, the "what would Joe do" for FOOTBALL related talk seems a bit silly.

Having said that, I have strong feelings about Hack v. Trace that I guess I should park as well given that Hack ain't coming back either.

We are all great fans with different perspectives. Happy Holidays to all Nit fans everywhere regardless of where you land on this and any other issue that we all waste time debating. Let's go beat USC!

Reactions: Bob78

Are you suggesting that PSU wasn't successful and honorable before Paterno? And that other
football programs haven't been successful while being honorable? Also what good did the "dark years" produce?

Are you suggesting that PSU wasn't successful and honorable before Paterno? And that other
football programs haven't been successful while being honorable? Also what good did the "dark years" produce?

Nope. Are you suggesting that others have done it and continue to do it in the present? Are likely to do it in the future? I didn't read your posts that way, but maybe you do mean that.

Rip Engle was moderately successful and was absolutely honorable and the program reflected that. There are other programs that I have long admired, and coaches also, for their combination of success (most all generally less consistently than what JVP was) and honorable intentions (most all with a lesser record of honor than JVP).

What I am suggesting is that JVP took Success With Honor and his Grand Experiment to unforeseen and largely unimagined heights, and maintained it at an incredibly high level for decades in comparison to any other program over his 46 seasons. It was a huge challenge that was met and exceeded, and that bar may be now set so high that few can even hope to achieve it. Franklin has taken huge steps along that path this season, and I am ecstatic over that as a life-long PSU fan.

Many terrific players played during the dark years - some are now or have been All Pros. Most all have represented the Grand Experiment very well. Those are very good things both on and off-the-field that came out of the dark years. In the long run, who really cares about a couple seasons' worth of losing records when compared to the whole?
I made up my mind long ago that I would not let lower expectations make me lose sight of the greater good. I was absolutely certain that PSU was a sleeping giant, and some other up-and-coming or maybe even established coach would come in and wake it up. Looks like that is happening.

So, I'm living in - and loving - the present, while honoring and grateful for the past. Fingers crossed for more great stuff on and off the field in the future.

Reactions: indynittany
Nope. Are you suggesting that others have done it and continue to do it in the present? Are likely to do it in the future? I didn't read your posts that way, but maybe you do mean that.

Rip Engle was moderately successful and was absolutely honorable and the program reflected that. There are other programs that I have long admired, and coaches also, for their combination of success (most all generally less consistently than what JVP was) and honorable intentions (most all with a lesser record of honor than JVP).

What I am suggesting is that JVP took Success With Honor and his Grand Experiment to unforeseen and largely unimagined heights, and maintained it at an incredibly high level for decades in comparison to any other program over his 46 seasons. It was a huge challenge that was met and exceeded, and that bar may be now set so high that few can even hope to achieve it. Franklin has taken huge steps along that path this season, and I am ecstatic over that as a life-long PSU fan.

Many terrific players played during the dark years - some are now or have been All Pros. Most all have represented the Grand Experiment very well. Those are very good things both on and off-the-field that came out of the dark years. In the long run, who really cares about a couple seasons' worth of losing records when compared to the whole?
I made up my mind long ago that I would not let lower expectations make me lose sight of the greater good. I was absolutely certain that PSU was a sleeping giant, and some other up-and-coming or maybe even established coach would come in and wake it up. Looks like that is happening.

So, I'm living in - and loving - the present, while honoring and grateful for the past. Fingers crossed for more great stuff on and off the field in the future.
Wasting your time Bob, osprey is a Joe hater.

Tell you what, Skippy....why not wait and see how Franklin is doing in his late 70's/early to mid 80's (assuming he is still around), and then we can compare notes.

Or as others have suggested - take Joe at his prime, with whatever recruiting structures were in place, and see how he fares against Franklin now.

You are comparing apples to oranges, Skipster.
Skipster? Tuff Guy.

Yeah, I know Gunner II. Still, an exchange of opinions, mostly loaded with facts, tinged with some fervor, but without the sophomoric insults, isn't a bad way to pass some time. It's too often a rare species on the interwebs.

JoePa got plenty of 5 star recruits- they were just not called that back then. In his prime he might have been the best recruiter ever.

In his prime Joe was right there with the very best of them in recruiting.

Nobody in there 70s or 80s has the energy of their youth.

Good, I prefer anywhere you are not.

I actually "hate" the worship of Paterno that is prevalent in his cult. I also "hate" hearing that
Paterno is/was PSU football. I spent four wonderful years at Penn State and will always love
the education and memories including the football games none of which I missed during my stay.
And PSU is bigger and much more important than Paterno. That is something that some of you
don't seem to grasp.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT