ADVERTISEMENT

Joey McKenna to PSU??

One of my favorite hypocrisy items on HR is how many of them crucify Cael for allegedly "screwing over" (their words) Haines & Hoffman....

..... but no one over there ever mentions the Renteria / Mejia / S. Lee / Teasdale Quartet.
I do.... lol

Really, I think they ignore the fact that Cael and PSU is on so many elite recruits top 5 list. That just isn't so right now for Brands and the Hawkeyes. If it were, you can sure damn well bet he would be bringing in as many of them as he possibly could. Ad for their fans they just don't think about things before they speak. After getting Meija and JRent, wonder what their reaction would have been had Tom come out and publicly said we are not considering Spencer Lee and Gavin Teasdale....we already have our guys. I'll bet if that happened they wouldn't be worried so much about us PSU fans posting there. No, they'd have been fighting to be the first to start the next "Fire Tom Brands" thread...

That HR thread is interwebs gold.

Marsteller
Haines
Hoffman
Andrew Long
Bobby Douglass
Carl
Bael
Sandusky

Helluva laundry list ....
Don't forget that Nick and Joe Lee are both currently receiving visits from other schools.

Just a hunch, that poster might not ID the coaches pulling a Tim Beckman, visiting Nick Lee on campus.

Reactions: diggerpup
I do.... lol

Really, I think they ignore the fact that Cael and PSU is on so many elite recruits top 5 list. That just isn't so right now for Brands and the Hawkeyes. If it were, you can sure damn well bet he would be bringing in as many of them as he possibly could. Ad for their fans they just don't think about things before they speak. After getting Meija and JRent, wonder what their reaction would have been had Tom come out and publicly said we are not considering Spencer Lee and Gavin Teasdale....we already have our guys. I'll bet if that happened they wouldn't be worried so much about us PSU fans posting there. No, they'd have been fighting to be the first to start the next "Fire Tom Brands" thread...
Brands will not be around much longer....Iowa State will be taking over that state in 2 years !!!! Bet on it....

Reactions: Ski
and flying into SC to make said visits. We judge the HR by their idiots, just like they judge us by ours.
We might judge HR by their idiots less if they would self-police a little. Not one Hawk has seen fit to push back on that Nick/Joe Lee comment. If someone here made the same claim about Lee and Warner, we'd jump down their throats.

For straight up honest wrestling talk I think it's tough to beat Vak over there. Don't agree with him all the time but he's honest with assessments and not afraid to point out what he feels are Hawkeyes negatives.
And then he writes some gibberish about stabbing Bobby Douglas in the back and then turning his back on his Alma Mater.

Vak is very wrestling knowledgeable, but he like other/most HR posters exhibits irrational bitterness towards Cael simply because Cael's program is kicking their program's ass.

And then he writes some gibberish about stabbing Bobby Douglas in the back and then turning his back on his Alma Mater.

Vak is very wrestling knowledgeable, but he like other/most HR posters exhibits irrational bitterness towards Cael simply because Cael's program is kicking their program's ass.

wait until the dual meet this year, the blood bath that ensues and the hate the flows after. IF we get mckenna they might get shut out.

wait until the dual meet this year, the blood bath that ensues and the hate the flows after. IF we get mckenna they might get shut out.

I was thinking the same thing after getting sucked down the rabbit hole over there in that insane McKenna thread. If they are going full tilt in the off season, what is it going to be like when the grim reality of the season is upon them.

Reactions: diggerpup
Very interesting take on things by the majority of posters on that thread - including many respected ones. As I posted over there, PSU has had two decommitments off the top of my head going back four years - Marstellar and Haines, Hoffman never committed - while the Hawkeyes have had four decommitments in the past 12 months - Renteria, Mejia, Teasdale, Troy. But somehow Cael has the recruiting problem...

Very interesting take on things by the majority of posters on that thread - including many respected ones. As I posted over there, PSU has had two decommitments off the top of my head going back four years - Marstellar and Haines, Hoffman never committed - while the Hawkeyes have had four decommitments in the past 12 months - Renteria, Mejia, Teasdale, Troy. But somehow Cael has the recruiting problem...
Another poster used AJ Nevills as an example of someone Cael recruited over. As if the entire Nevills family had absolutely no clue that PSU and Snacks had mutual interest.

When emotions go up, IQ goes down. This is one of those times.

The reason for much of the silly rationalizations and bitterness is the Hawks are pissed they don't have Cael's recruiting problems.

Hell, supposedly the Silva kid told the Iowa coaching staff he wants to go to Penn State and there was no sense in considering Iowa until he saw how he stood with Penn State.

So let's not make it us against them. That's petty, and becomes a peeing contest, as we saw. It's personal, and becomes about Cael or Tom, and the Penn State or Iowa programs. We had two, you had four, nanny-nanny-boo-boo. Horse-Hooey. Then there's the fact-checking thing -- all I can say is that some of these situations didn't play out the way the conspiracy-theorists say.

I'd rather see a wrestling discussion about the changes in recruiting. A couple years ago, the NCAA moved the contact date up. Kids are verbal-committing younger and younger. Social media has changed the landscape. THOSE ARE WORTHWHILE DISCUSSIONS.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
So let's not make it us against them. That's petty, and becomes a peeing contest, as we saw. It's personal, and becomes about Cael or Tom, and the Penn State or Iowa programs. We had two, you had four, nanny-nanny-boo-boo. Horse-Hooey. Then there's the fact-checking thing -- all I can say is that some of these situations didn't play out the way the conspiracy-theorists say.

I'd rather see a wrestling discussion about the changes in recruiting. A couple years ago, the NCAA moved the contact date up. Kids are verbal-committing younger and younger. Social media has changed the landscape. THOSE ARE WORTHWHILE DISCUSSIONS.
What do think needs changing regarding social media? I'm uncomfortable with that aspect as well, and mainly stemming from the fact that it allows for closer contact between fans/boosters and the athletes, and that is ripe for violations.

The bitterness is born from desperation. It doesn't take a significant amount of logic to understand that the PSU train is gaining rather than losing momentum since rising to the top. The analogy was made at some point that Iowa wrestling fans were very much like Nebraska football fans. Exactly the same mentality. Proud tradition in the past, but not at the top currently, and perhaps not returning to that lofty perch in the foreseeable future. High level recruits are looking first at PSU, and if that doesn't work they look toward tOSU, and if neither offers a good fit they look at several other schools with OSU and Iowa being at the top of this third tier.
There is not a program in the country without headaches and stress to either remain at the top or build toward the top. Iowa is in a weird situation. There have been a few awfully tough wrestlers at Iowa the past several years with the top being Metcalf, Ramos, and St. John. It is odd that none of the three think too highly of that place these days. There is plenty of ill will between the " does everything above board" head coach and his few brightest pupils.
The desire to paint Cael as a bad guy is the last desperate hope of a group still living in the past, and scared to death of the future. It really is this simple.

The most egregious part of the thread is attacking Cael's character.
Cael is very humble, and from the interviews I've seen/heard of people who know him, I've only heard good things.
There's really nothing there, just assumptions and speculation.

Tom Brands is also of very high character from everything I've seen.

Roar...no offense as you are one of the finest, upstanding poster on this board. But your take on how everyone should just ignore the foolishness and dopey comments from many on HR is YOUR take.

This type of banter is what makes message boards interesting. Without it, would be boring as hell.

So like you, I rarely post over on HR because of the many ignorant comments you're going to get even when you have overwhelming facts on your side. That being said I applaud my PSU fan breatheren who take the time to go back and forth with HR and try to set the record straight.

To each there own.

Roar...no offense as you are one of the finest, upstanding poster on this board. But your take on how everyone should just ignore the foolishness and dopey comments from many on HR is YOUR take.

This type of banter is what makes message boards interesting. Without it, would be boring as hell.

So like you, I rarely post over on HR because of the many ignorant comments you're going to get even when you have overwhelming facts on your side. That being said I applaud my PSU fan breatheren who take the time to go back and forth with HR and try to set the record straight.

To each there own.
Perhaps, but the law of diminishing returns still applies, and we don't know when or possibly even how to back off.

If Hawks came over here in droves to "set the record straight," this place would turn into just as big of a dumpster fire. Seriously doubt anybody wants that.

To each there own.
No offense taken at all. I love banter. What I read isn't all banter.

Last edited:
Reactions: pish69
... As I posted over there, PSU has had two decommitments off the top of my head going back four years ... while the Hawkeyes have had four decommitments in the past 12 months ...
Did you remember to teach that four is a bigger number than two? If not, then those people's misunderstanding may be your fault. ;)

Another poster used AJ Nevills as an example of someone Cael recruited over. As if the entire Nevills family had absolutely no clue that PSU and Snacks had mutual interest.

When emotions go up, IQ goes down. This is one of those times.

Not to mention a slew of other recruits who have yet to even don the blue and white singlet (Manville, J. Lee, N. Lee, Berge, RBY, Teasdale, Verk). If the loons on HR are to be believed, Cael is so selfish and evil his dynasty is solely the result of recruiting over his recruits. Saint Tom, on the other hand, is so selfless and honorable he "essentially" (hat tip to Vak) no longer believes in wrestle-offs.

Perhaps, but the law of diminishing returns still applies, and we don't know when or possibly even how to back off.

If Hawks came over here in droves to "set the record straight," this place would turn into just as big of a dumpster fire. Seriously doubt anybody wants that.

Rivals and yahoo win with the back and forth. $100M requires a lot clicks to justify.

The bitterness is born from desperation. It doesn't take a significant amount of logic to understand that the PSU train is gaining rather than losing momentum since rising to the top. The analogy was made at some point that Iowa wrestling fans were very much like Nebraska football fans. Exactly the same mentality. Proud tradition in the past, but not at the top currently, and perhaps not returning to that lofty perch in the foreseeable future. High level recruits are looking first at PSU, and if that doesn't work they look toward tOSU, and if neither offers a good fit they look at several other schools with OSU and Iowa being at the top of this third tier.
There is not a program in the country without headaches and stress to either remain at the top or build toward the top. Iowa is in a weird situation. There have been a few awfully tough wrestlers at Iowa the past several years with the top being Metcalf, Ramos, and St. John. It is odd that none of the three think too highly of that place these days. There is plenty of ill will between the " does everything above board" head coach and his few brightest pupils.
The desire to paint Cael as a bad guy is the last desperate hope of a group still living in the past, and scared to death of the future. It really is this simple.

Cory Clark is missing from your list of the top, awfully tough Hawkeye wrestlers of recent record. Although a slight notch below, I think Burak is an honorable mention.

The analysis isn't as simple as fans of a proud program not being able to yield to another quietly. A big part of the problem is the volume of chest-thumping, we-are-the-best, we-can-do-no-wrong posts from fans of the top program -- and then in the same breath talk about the importance of being classy. That makes even me, a PSU Wrestling fan, want to puke.

I once knew a girl in college who swore that she didn't crap (the thought of admitting association with something dirty was unbearable). Some of our fans remind me of that girl -- they bypass the "our sh*t don't stink" attitude and leap right to "we don't sh*t".

Neither side is infallible, and neither knows all the facts and circumstances the great majority of the time. The dumpster fires wouldn't burn so hot if more people could just discuss the topics while acknowledging that. Speculation and debate can be done respectfully.

My opinion, anyway.

Soooo. Back to topic of the post.
Thoughts on where McKenna goes ?

I find it interesting that everyone assumes McKenna is an upgrade to Cortez or Nick Lee. I'm not convinced from what I've seen that last two years that would be the case. I don't see him as a "sure thing" finalist.

Though he is more "proven" than the other two at this point, I like all the guys coming in (especially Lee), and am excited to see the next "breakthrough". The unknown of the new guys, with what is to me a high potential, is more fun.

Of course, its also comfortable to roll the dice because of the luxury of having 5 returning champs and a would have been 6th....

I find it interesting that everyone assumes McKenna is an upgrade to Cortez or Nick Lee. I'm not convinced from what I've seen that last two years that would be the case. I don't see him as a "sure thing" finalist.

Though he is more "proven" than the other two at this point, I like all the guys coming in (especially Lee), and am excited to see the next "breakthrough". The unknown of the new guys, with what is to me a high potential, is more fun.

Of course, its also comfortable to roll the dice because of the luxury of having 5 returning champs and a would have been 6th....
Gebmo. McKenna would be an upgrade...A real upgrade if he gets into our room without a doubt....

I am glad you guys can laugh at their nonsense. I read HR for the occasional rationale post with no intent to post. But then they write nonsense like the Lee brothers transferring in and I can't help myself. One day I will learn...

"In situations of high stress, fear or distrust, the hormone and neurotransmitter cortisol floods the brain. Executive functions that help us with advanced thought processes like strategy, trust building, and compassion shut down. And the amygdala, our instinctive brain, takes over. The body makes a chemical choice about how best to protect itself — in this case from the shame and loss of power associated with being wrong — and as a result is unable to regulate its emotions or handle the gaps between expectations and reality. So we default to one of four responses: fight (keep arguing the point), flight (revert to, and hide behind, group consensus), freeze (disengage from the argument by shutting up) or appease (make nice with your adversary by simply agreeing with him).

All are harmful because they prevent the honest and productive sharing of information and opinion. But, as a consultant who has spent decades working with executives on their communication skills, I can tell you that the fight response is by far the most damaging to relationships. It is also, unfortunately, the most common"

You can find about a grillion more articles like this online about the human need to "be right". It really gives a great perspective on what's happening when all of these threads break down. It also helps (me personally) not get all bunched when I'm dumbfounded by some of the statements I read.

Soooo. Back to topic of the post.
Thoughts on where McKenna goes ?

This thread is about McKenna?

The most egregious part of the thread is attacking Cael's character.
Cael is very humble, and from the interviews I've seen/heard of people who know him, I've only heard good things.
There's really nothing there, just assumptions and speculation.

Tom Brands is also of very high character from everything I've seen.

Both are high character but only one is a character.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Starburst_
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT