ADVERTISEMENT

Joey McKenna to PSU??

IMHO the most likely destination for McKenna is that he stays at Stanford. Remember that the original RUMOR was (and this quote may not be exact)
"SOURCES say that McKenna is CONSIDERING transferring out of Stanford".

I hear you NoVa, but if he is visiting other programs, my gut tells me he is committed to making a change.

n = 1 example of the day*: I'm of the personality type that when I am sufficiently dissatisfied with something to start considering change, my mind is made up to make some sort of change, regardless of the options available. Especially once I invest effort in evaluating any of those options. The grass is always green enough on the other side once my current commitment has faltered.

* Disclaimer: I am not Joey McKenna.

I hear you NoVa, but if he is visiting other programs, my gut tells me he is committed to making a change.

n = 1 example of the day*: I'm of the personality type that when I am sufficiently dissatisfied with something to start considering change, my mind is made up to make some sort of change, regardless of the options available. Especially once I invest effort in evaluating any of those options. The grass is always green enough on the other side once my current commitment has faltered.

That's exactly why as a manager you do not try to retain an employee that comes to you looking for a counter to an offer they've gotten from another company. If they go to the trouble of looking elsewhere, they're telling you they are disgruntled with the job and/or money and have already checked out on you and your company. Paying more money doesn't change the underlying fact that they were willing to walk away from you.

To me it just seems that most teams would have most of their scholarship money for next season already committed. His final choice might come down to the team that put together a decent package.

I just don't see Cael bending over backward to restructure things. McKenna would be a nice get for PSU, but not a critical get. IMO, we will have an AA candidate at 141 with or without him.

Reactions: PSUoh90

Does anyone know if McKenna is visiting other programs? I would assume if he is officially visiting other programs then Stanford issued him a release. There is always the possibility of unofficial visits or having a third party ask questions.

That's exactly why as a manager you do not try to retain an employee that comes to you looking for a counter to an offer they've gotten from another company. If they go to the trouble of looking elsewhere, they're telling you they are disgruntled with the job and/or money and have already checked out on you and your company. Paying more money doesn't change the underlying fact that they were willing to walk away from you.

That can be true, but speaking as someone who has been at the same place for 25 years, I’ve seen people do that (look around) and it was valid. Some great people are being way underpaid because they were at the same place for a long time. Sometimes to keep them you have to pay their value.

One close friend of mine like that wasn’t even looking, but had another friend refer him to a company and got offered 25k more. He has 3 boys, 14 to 8 with college looming. He was well worth the money and it hurt the company big time that he left (my perspective). To write him off because he was “looking” is not smart in my book. Many will be happy once they are paid what they are worth.

Point is there are many reasons for things that others may not be able to see…and all are valid….to that person. While its hard for many of us to understand why someone might even contemplate giving up a Stanford degree, people are all different with different values, etc. He might just be confident that he will be successful no matter where he goes.

Therefore if McKenna were to look around and then decide to stay, Stanford should be happy about it (and I suspect they will). The other kids generally won’t care either. As good as he is as a wrestler and a student, I’m sure any school will welcome him. We might never know his real reasons for looking around because he may not care to let everyone know.

I'm not even sure McKenna @149 for tOSU would even help them that much. IMHO here are the placements:
Current lineup -
149 Jordan 2nd or 3rd (and 3 is the absolute floor barring injuries, flus, long bus rides, etc)
157 Ryan NP

With McKenna
149 McKenna - ceiling 3, floor NP (hard to predict given what happened last NCAAs)
157 Jordan 6-8 (I see 5 wrestlers clearly ahead of him)

Then add the awkward dynamic of Ryan benching his son...

Adding McKenna changes 157 for tOSU from maybe 2-3 points with Ryan or Burcher to maybe a high to mid-AA finish. Jordan is a big 149 and I don't see five guys at 157 that are "clearly" ahead of him, so it could be a pretty smooth transition for him. Meanwhile, McKenna could potentially hold serve at 149. Overall, that's a significant improvement and will give tOSU their best chance to make a serious run at PSU next season.

Without McKenna, I suspect we will see a lot of Burcher at 157 next season, and less of Ryan. Butcher is probably better suited for 157, and is no longer needed at 165 with Campbell now in the lineup.

Reactions: Dogwelder
That can be true, but speaking as someone who has been at the same place for 25 years, I’ve seen people do that (look around) and it was valid. Some great people are being way underpaid because they were at the same place for a long time. Sometimes to keep them you have to pay their value.

One close friend of mine like that wasn’t even looking, but had another friend refer him to a company and got offered 25k more. He has 3 boys, 14 to 8 with college looming. He was well worth the money and it hurt the company big time that he left (my perspective). To write him off because he was “looking” is not smart in my book. Many will be happy once they are paid what they are worth.

Point is there are many reasons for things that others may not be able to see…and all are valid….to that person. While its hard for many of us to understand why someone might even contemplate giving up a Stanford degree, people are all different with different values, etc. He might just be confident that he will be successful no matter where he goes.

Therefore if McKenna were to look around and then decide to stay, Stanford should be happy about it (and I suspect they will). The other kids generally won’t care either. As good as he is as a wrestler and a student, I’m sure any school will welcome him. We might never know his real reasons for looking around because he may not care to let everyone know.
Gebmo, I think you misunderstood my point. It is certainly okay to look for a new job and take it if needed. My objection is running back to your employer and trying to squeeze them. That doesn't work in the long term for either party.

Lot's of speculation, few facts, here and elsewhere. Kudos to the kid for keeping it private, as this has to be a tough decision...
-- He's from NJ, is geography and being closer to home a factor?
-- Going to a great academic school, only a Junior, so not yet graduated
-- We know nothing about a "full release", or any release for that matter
-- Has wrestling connection to Jeff Buxton, who runs the Lehigh Valley Wrestling Club
-- Not sure of his wrestling "aspirations", post-college
-- Not sure why he's "considering transferring", as "multiple sources" (per Flo) have said

Whatever happens, happens. Hopefully, he's surrounded by the right people to help with the decision...surely he is, seems like a really bright guy.

Nolf, Kem, Smith, Lavallee I would have ahead of him, and Berger I would say toss up. He is clearly number 3 at worst at 49 next year.

McKenna is a talent no doubt, but hard to project a DNP up a weight. I think many are selling Cortez short as far as AA potential in wanting McKenna so badly for 41. If Lee would happen to be beating a healthy Cortez in the room now, that is just gravy and bodes extremely well for the future.

All that said, I would like to see Mckenna come to PSU for nothing, just to see the reaction on HR :D

Nolf, Kem, Smith, Lavallee I would have ahead of him, and Berger I would say toss up. He is clearly number 3 at worst at 49 next year.

McKenna is a talent no doubt, but hard to project a DNP up a weight. I think many are selling Cortez short as far as AA potential in wanting McKenna so badly for 41. If Lee would happen to be beating a healthy Cortez in the room now, that is just gravy and bodes extremely well for the future.

All that said, I would like to see Mckenna come to PSU for nothing, just to see the reaction on HR :D

With his connection with TnT and family plus his working out at Iowa he really doesn't need a visit..So maybe it could be Iowa ..

I could see Iowa so long as proximity to home isn't one of the reasons he's considering leaving.

Why would anyone wanna do that? Cough (Spencer Lee).
To be the face of a program. To be looked upon as THE guy who was the catalyst for putting the Iowa Hawkeyes back on top of the wrestling world. At PSU, he would have just been another great among many other greats ..keeping the train rolling. At Iowa, he wants to put the Hawkeyes back in their rightful place at the top and one day be mentioned in the same breath as Gable.

Purely speculating though....

To be the face of a program. To be looked upon as THE guy who was the catalyst for putting the Iowa Hawkeyes back on top of the wrestling world. At PSU, he would have just been another great among many other greats ..keeping the train rolling. At Iowa, he wants to put the Hawkeyes back in their rightful place at the top and one day be mentioned in the same breath as Gable.

Purely speculating though....
I AA or champion does not put a team on top----
Rightful place on top?? in sports being on top is earned..In wrestling 1 wrestler does not will a team title---the team does.

Spencer Lee--great talent and great get for Iowa--but Lee alone will not win Iowa a team NC

Catalyst for the Hawkeyes?? May of had a point when Teasdale committed to Iowa also---put we all know how that turned out.

Does anyone know if McKenna is visiting other programs? I would assume if he is officially visiting other programs then Stanford issued him a release. There is always the possibility of unofficial visits or having a third party ask questions.
As per FRL he's visiting Lehigh-Ohio State-PSU and maybe one or two others.

Where is his Dad working next year? I seem to have forgotten that detail.
Where Mr. Lee got a job after Spencer committed is wholly irrelevant to the recruiting topic -- that is, except for the lunatic element that thinks BRANDS GOT LARRY LEE A JOB AT SOME OTHER SCHOOL IN IOWA !!!! He worked at Carnegie Mellon during the recruiting process, and did this year until recently.

Reactions: Gebmo
Even if the offer comes in unsolicited?

It's a fact that McKenna has already visited tOSU.
McKenna was at PSU for a visit too....Many believe who i have talk with he is leaning to the DYNASTY....We will see after this weekends visit...He will probably think about it and then make the decision....

Hoping McKenna heads back closer to home. Any further word on timing?

http://tusb.stanford.edu/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/stanford_tree.bmp

stanford_tree.bmp

Not sure why the pic won't show up, but the Googly-eyed Stanford Tree is always good for a laugh

stanford-mascot.jpg

Gotcha covered Chickenman Testa.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Where Mr. Lee got a job after Spencer committed is wholly irrelevant to the recruiting topic -- that is, except for the lunatic element that thinks BRANDS GOT LARRY LEE A JOB AT SOME OTHER SCHOOL IN IOWA !!!! He worked at Carnegie Mellon during the recruiting process, and did this year until recently.

Larry Lee left Carnegie-Mellon, one of the top national universities with a great endowment, to go to Coe College, what can best be described as a middling regional liberal arts college with a suspect endowment. That's a head-scratcher. If that's the best Iowa could do in terms of getting him a job, then their program is in real trouble. ;) So, no, obviously, I don't think there is any way on god's green earth that Iowa got Larry Lee the job. That's HR level silliness.

Reactions: Ski and Dogwelder
Gebmo, I think you misunderstood my point. It is certainly okay to look for a new job and take it if needed. My objection is running back to your employer and trying to squeeze them. That doesn't work in the long term for either party.

No, I understood your point, just don’t totally agree with it. I do agree with you to an extent, but IMO its not trying to “squeeze” an employer by getting what you are worth. My friend worked for years way underpaid so the company made out well with him. When he got an offer (unsolicited), he didn’t come back trying to squeeze the company, but he really liked working there and didn’t want to leave. Our manager asked him why he was leaving. He told them, not to bargain, but because he was asked. I believe he would have stayed if they matched the offer (the rest was apples to apples) or even came close. He was well worth the money (which my manager and everyone around agreed with, but didn’t matter to HR).

He had to do what was best for his family and moved on. Getting paid what you are worth and being appreciated is never a negative, but gives you a motivated employee and an example for everyone else around. Ignoring someone’s worth gets you…..a new hire when the top person leaves….and sometimes a negative attitude in general as everyone sees how underappreciated even those top hard working people are.

That is why I like the vibe coming from the PSU room. From top to bottom you hear guys feeling appreciated and enjoying their time, even if they don’t start. Hopefully it stays that way.

Reactions: Shot of Espresso
No, I understood your point, just don’t totally agree with it. I do agree with you to an extent, but IMO its not trying to “squeeze” an employer by getting what you are worth. My friend worked for years way underpaid so the company made out well with him. When he got an offer (unsolicited), he didn’t come back trying to squeeze the company, but he really liked working there and didn’t want to leave. Our manager asked him why he was leaving. He told them, not to bargain, but because he was asked. I believe he would have stayed if they matched the offer (the rest was apples to apples) or even came close. He was well worth the money (which my manager and everyone around agreed with, but didn’t matter to HR).
That's a different scenario to the one I wrote about yesterday. I agree with you on your story. I would just add one thing. If a company isn't willing to pay you what you're worth until they have a gun to their head, is that really a company you can rely upon in the future to take care of your family? It goes both ways.

Anyway, don't mean to muck up the thread any longer.

Reactions: Gebmo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT