ADVERTISEMENT

Junior WTT

I should probably wait til his next match with Metz, but to me Cassioppi looks superior to Seth Nevills.

Time will tell but I have been very impressed with Cassioppi. Clearly not in the Gable S class, but I think he is right in there with Seth in the next tier down. Very active and powerful with that compact build. Entertaining to watch for a heavy. I wouldn't have recruited him over Seth but without seeing them head to head I think they are close.

Mattin is looking big. I wonder if he takes a redshirt and waits for Micic to graduate. Assuming Silva at 141.

ugh Verkleeren's shoulder got worked by Gfeller in a chickenwing. He's laying on the mat. Back up now. Down 4-1.

Gfeller fades again. Bad tank. Big balls on Verkleeren. He wins 8-6 by getting a step-out, a pair of takedowns, and a late turn
interesting match by Verk.... hung in there and fought back... looks like there could have been some big throws in the match if they really wanted to go for it

Cassioppi didn't do a whole lot on offense until after Metz got hurt. Metz basically gave up, so I'm not gonna get on Cassioppi's jock.

Reactions: hlstone
Anyone know when the finals start?

All times shown are Central.

Friday, May 18
10:00 am – 2:00 pm: UWW Junior Freestyle: 1st Round, Quarterfinals and Consolation (3 MATS)
10:00 am – 2:30 pm: Senior Women’s Freestyle: 1st Round, Quarterfinals and Consolation (2 MATS)
4:00 pm – 7:30 pm: UWW Junior Freestyle: Semifinals, Finals, 3rd Place, Consolation (3 MATS)
4:00 pm – 8:00 pm: Senior Women’s Freestyle: Semi-Finals, Finals, Consolation and 3rd Place (2 MATS)

Saturday, May 19
10:00 am – 2:30 pm: Senior Men’s Freestyle: 1st Round, Quarterfinals and Consolation (2 MATS)
1:00 pm – 4:45 pm: Senior Women’s Freestyle: Best 2 out of 3 Championship
1:00 pm – 4:45 pm: UWW Junior Freestyle: Best 2 out of 3 Championship
5:00 pm – 9:00 pm: Senior Men’s Freestyle: Semifinals, Finals and Consolation, Cons-Semi and 3rd Place Matches (2 MATS)

Sunday, May 20
12:00 pm – 3:00 pm: Senior Men’s Freestyle: Best 2 out of 3 Championship

Reactions: GantryZ
Didn't they already do the semis? That schedule says UWW Junior semis start at 4...

He beat Metz in freestyle and greco at Fargo last year IIRC. But Cass's jock thanks you.

As I stated before, I do think I like him more than Nevills. P.S. I have a great record of jock-riding.

Last edited:
Lee wins 9-4. Murin with lots of fight. He will be Iowa's 141. I have zero doubt.
Did you actually watch the match? Murin with 2 stepout points until a restart with :06 to go with Lee up 9-2 and Lee halfheartedly defends the shot.

Turk actually wrestled Lee much tougher IMO. Turk with much better offense. Murin has better defense, I will give him that. If you are just going by the two matches with Lee, I would give Turk an edge. Zero doubt?

Reactions: LHavenlion
Did you actually watch the match? Murin with 2 stepout points until a restart with :06 to go with Lee up 9-2 and Lee halfheartedly defends the shot.

Turk actually wrestled Lee much tougher IMO. Turk with much better offense. Murin has better defense, I will give him that. If you are just going by the two matches with Lee, I would give Turk an edge. Zero doubt?

I did watch the whole match. Turk's impressive double leg appears to give Nick trouble at times, but that's about it. Turk's defense stinks. Murin gets to legs plenty, and couldn't finish on Nick today, but overall his offense is pretty much there with Turk. Murin by a couple takedowns over Turk.

I did watch the whole match. Turk's impressive double leg appears to give Nick trouble at times, but that's about it. Turk's defense stinks. Murin gets to legs plenty, and couldn't finish on Nick today, but overall his offense is pretty much there with Turk. Murin by a couple takedowns over Turk.
I saw Murin diving on legs and not getting close to being in finishing position. That's not what I call offense. Turk has some serious offense and is not to be taken lightly. You could be right and Murin takes out Turk by next year. But no doubt? Not even close. I think that spot is very much up in the air at this time, at least by what I saw from Murin against an AA caliber wrestler today.

Sometimes what you say is fair, like your take on Cassioppi, although I would wait until I see how he fairs against Gable to really make that call. But at other times you just throw cr*p out there.

Last edited:
I saw Murin diving on legs and not getting close to being in finishing position. That's not what I call offense. Turk has some serious offense and is not to be taken lightly. You could be right and Murin takes out Turk by next year. But no doubt? Not even close. I think that spot is very much up in the air at this time, at least by what I saw from Murin against an AA caliber wrestler today.

Sometimes what you say is fair, like your take on Cassioppi, although I would wait until I see how he fairs against Gable to really make that call. But at other times you just throw cr*p out there.

Maybe the statement was a little hyperbolic, but it's not like Turk has done anything of significance to the point where we get worked up over it. Turk beat 3 guys that were worse than Murin at NCAAs. I guess we'll see. Either way it's a low-AA type with minimal bonus.

Last edited:
Sometimes what you say is fair, like your take on Cassioppi, although I would wait until I see how he fairs against Gable to really make that call.
So if Cassioppi gets worked by Gable (which he probably will), it's going to alter how you view Cass vs Nevills? Wouldn't most expect Nevills to also get worked over by Gable? I guess I don't see the logic there.

Too bad Seth and Gable never met. There were a few close calls (skin inspection DQ) but their careers were like ships passing in the night.

Gable is very strong, fast, and uniquely athletic for his size. His rare big man athleticism is what really separates him from the pack.

That said Seth and Cassi are really really good. I don't think Gable dominates either in folkstyle. A lot of 6-3 type matches where Gable is control throughout, but I don't see it like Snyder vs Nick N, where (aside from Nick's awesome dual last Nov) Snyder could almost take him down at will and rack up the points.

Ok update: ...... Gable 12-2 over Cassi. So much for 6-3, Gable is a huge stud and definitely a national contender right out of the gate next year as a true freshman.

Last edited:
Alirez freestyle beast. Junior in HS. Takedown and then laces Nick up for the tech.

CRAP!!!! And that's why I hate Freestyle: single to Leg lace to 4 spins to 10-0 in 30 seconds - boring as hell, and IMO a bit unfair - not a comprehensive true test in every position. Winning definitely requires skil no doubt but too often poor positioning and part luck end matches way too fast. Zain would have never earned the nickname pain if not for the chance to punish immercifly from on top with the bow and arrow. Folkstyle rules, and I think it's a much broader test of skill!!!

I will say it again. Nick allows pretty easy access to his legs. He doesn't yet look any stronger. He needs 5 more lbs of muscle for next year. Gets caught underneath just short of finishing on to many of his shots too. The Mckenna dual was a perfect example. Nick out worked, out shot McKenna, but was over powered in a few critical moments in that match.

The only sliver of me that wanted Desanto was to give Lee a redshirt year to bulk up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogwelder
Berge wins a very controversial match over David Carr 7-5. Good match, regardless.

CRAP!!!! And that's why I hate Freestyle single to Leg lace to 4 spins to 10-0 in 30 seconds. Mostly skill, part poor positioning, part luck on where the single leg ended up. Folkstyle rules!

I will say it again. Nick allows pretty easy access to his legs. He doesn't yet look any stronger. He needs 5 more lbs of muscle for next year. Gets caught underneath just short of finishing on to many of his shots too. The Mckenna dual was a perfect example. Out worked, out shot McKenna, but over powered in a few critical moments in that match.

The only sliver of me that wanted Desanto was to give Lee a redshirt year to bulk up.

Despite winning Fargo one year, Nick is certainly a Folk wrestler. Lost to some Wyoming backup last year.

Lewis beat Marinelli. Lewis looked really good as a redshirt at the scuffle last year - lost to Chance. Will be interesting to see how he does at vatech this year.

Verk up 7-4 and locks up a lace to tech Sasso. Nice tournament! Do Nick and Jarod get to go to the camps?

Yes.

CRAP!!!! And that's why I hate Freestyle: single to Leg lace to 4 spins to 10-0 in 30 seconds - boring as hell, and IMO a bit unfair - not a comprehensive true test in every position. Winning definitely requires skil no doubt but too often poor positioning and part luck end matches way too fast. Zain would have never earned the nickname pain if not for the chance to punish immercifly from on top with the bow and arrow. Folkstyle rules, and I think it's a much broader test of skill!!!

I will say it again. Nick allows pretty easy access to his legs. He doesn't yet look any stronger. He needs 5 more lbs of muscle for next year. Gets caught underneath just short of finishing on to many of his shots too. The Mckenna dual was a perfect example. Nick out worked, out shot McKenna, but was over powered in a few critical moments in that match.

See, and I'm the opposite. Theres nothing unfair about being "caught" in a lace. You got put in a lace, and you let the match end. I love watching Nick Lee wrestle, but it happened and now ya gotta move forward. The ability to end the match at any moment like that is a highlight of freestyle for me, personally.

Berge wins a very controversial match over David Carr 7-5. Good match, regardless.
Bro, that ref had it out for Carr's corner once they were tweaking. It felt like home-cooking, but Berge did what it took to win. Great match, really. Just wish the ref was ready for that level of match.

Cassioppi acted like he was Gable's equal. He wasn't
Gable can be extremely extra.

Reactions: nerfstate
So.....Do you guys feel Berge can make 149 all year? I realize 153 up just a bit .But, Seems he is more consistent than Verk at least recently, or should we attribute the results to freestyle? Trying to see if anything should be taken from the freestyle season, TIA

Reactions: D3wrestler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT