ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky vs Florida game was on SEC today

blion72

Jan 1, 2010
in case any of you did not see this game, Kentucky was very impressive in that game. here is what i noticed:

• Snell and the other back Rose #10 are both hard to tackle. they both get 3-4 yds after contact almost all the time. Snell is quick and gets through small spaces.
  • QB is fast and can make runs. better runner than anyone we have seen. he also has a big arm and hit a long pass to #1 WR for a TD. he moves in pocket real well. it would be a mistake to think of him as just another quick run first QB. his passing numbers are not that high but that is because Snell is elite.
  • WRs are decent = a couple big bodies and one flier.
  • OL keeps the pocket clean, and Florida is a decent defense. on runs they move the LOS.
  • depth on DL was not great but the first 2-3 DTs = 90 92 98 are big and dominate the middle. Florida could not move them. #41 is a wrecking machine alone and showed he can cover TE and RB on pass as well as rush passer. he also plays run. NFL 1st rounder type.
  • DBs play like UM = hold, cheat, etc call it press coverage. they appear bigger than typical DBs.
  • punter is an Aussie who does a nice job pinning opponents.
Kentucky won this game 27-16 in the swamp = although they did get the last 6 on final play off a fumble. the coach is an ass and reminds me of DAntonio. in fact the team is a lot like Sparty in how they play. we have more total talent but they have some top end players. we need to play a solid game to win. assume Snell may sit out since he is now declared. not sure about Allen.

in case any of you did not see this game, Kentucky was very impressive in that game. here is what i noticed:
You watched by far their best game of the year.

Not disagree with your assessments but Kentucky did not play at that level for most of 2018.
  • Snell and the other back Rose #10 are both hard to tackle. they both get 3-4 yds after contact almost all the time. Snell is quick and gets through small spaces.
  • QB is fast and can make runs. better runner than anyone we have seen. he also has a big arm and hit a long pass to #1 WR for a TD. he moves in pocket real well. it would be a mistake to think of him as just another quick run first QB. his passing numbers are not that high but that is because Snell is elite.
  • OL keeps the pocket clean, and Florida is a decent defense. on runs they move the LOS.
  • depth on DL was not great but the first 2-3 DTs = 90 92 98 are big and dominate the middle. Florida could not move them. #41 is a wrecking machine alone and showed he can cover TE and RB on pass as well as rush passer. he also plays run. NFL 1st rounder type.
  • DBs play like UM = hold, cheat, etc call it press coverage. they appear bigger than typical DBs.
Kentucky won this game 27-16 in the swamp = although they did get the last 6 on final play off a fumble. the coach is an ass and reminds me of DAntonio. in fact the team is a lot like Sparty in how they play. we have more total talent but they have some top end players. we need to play a solid game to win. assume Snell may sit out since he is now declared. not sure about Allen.

Not disagreeing with your assessment but this game was an outlier for Kentucky.

Snell and Allen are not sitting out. Snell needs 103 yds to become their all time leading rusher I believe. KY wants this game badly to prove they are a legit good team and we are a "big name" they want to knock off.

If we play like we did against Rutgers we will lose. If we play like we did against Maryland, we will win.

Snell only averaged 5 ypc, so he couldn't have been getting that many yards after contact. And he really didn't do much the 2nd half of the season

Also need to keep in mind that Florida is terrible.

Reactions: Kmase21
The Kentucky QB stinks. If they beat you throwing the ball with him, do be it. Sellout to stop the run.

Snell only averaged 5 ypc, so he couldn't have been getting that many yards after contact. And he really didn't do much the 2nd half of the season
Snell has 1330 yards this season. Not exactly a slow second half of the season. He’s had a good year. Almost all of his yards come after first contact. That’s why he leads the country in yards after contact. He should be good and healthy so I’m excited to see him hopefully break the record.

Also need to keep in mind that Florida is terrible.
I think it's a stretch to call a team that's playing in a NY6 bowl horrible. Florida has a good defense.

Kentucky isn't a slouch. Allen is projected to go as high as 3rd in the NFL draft and could give our offense fits. PSU will have to play well to win this game.

I think it's a stretch to call a team that's playing in a NY6 bowl horrible. Florida has a good defense.

Kentucky isn't a slouch. Allen is projected to go as high as 3rd in the NFL draft and could give our offense fits. PSU will have to play well to win this game.

I agree. If anything, Florida and Kentucky both have better resumes than PSU. People seem to have forgotten just how bad we looked at times this season. I would argue the team played poorly in half our games (App State, Michigan, MSU, Indiana, Iowa, and Rutgers). The good news is we finished very strong against Maryland. It'll take a similar showing next week to beat Kentucky.

The zebras gave you the Missouri game
Your team didn’t beat a ranked opponent and got boat raced by a few. I just don’t get where the huge amount of confidence comes from. I’m fine with our team being disrespected because that’s when they seem to play their best.

Your team didn’t beat a ranked opponent and got boat raced by a few. I just don’t get where the huge amount of confidence comes from. I’m fine with our team being disrespected because that’s when they seem to play their best.

Boat raced by a few?
The huge amount of confidence comes from Penn State’s football pedigree and Kentucky’s football pedigree. On the field, these teams are pretty equal.

Reactions: BBrown
Boat raced by a few?
The huge amount of confidence comes from Penn State’s football pedigree and Kentucky’s football pedigree. On the field, these teams are pretty equal.
Maybe it was just Michigan. You are correct about the pedigrees. However this isn’t the Kentucky of the past. Pretty similar teams really. Looking forward to a good game.

Maybe it was just Michigan. You are correct about the pedigrees. However this isn’t the Kentucky of the past. Pretty similar teams really. Looking forward to a good game.

I’m expecting a fairly even game. I think the difference will be a healthy Trace McSorley. Your QB stinks.

Reactions: Indian rocks rich
I’m expecting a fairly even game. I think the difference will be a healthy Trace McSorley. Your QB stinks.
He’s really not as bad as most people think. 67 percent on the season I think. He will
Kill you with his legs if you let him. He’s plenty serviceable enough to complete the passes he has to. I put a lot of it on our OC. He hasn’t called the best games this year. Terry is a good QB especially for a first year starter in the SEC. I’m happy to have him for 2 more years

He’s really not as bad as most people think. 67 percent on the season I think. He will
Kill you with his legs if you let him. He’s plenty serviceable enough to complete the passes he has to. I put a lot of it on our OC. He hasn’t called the best games this year. Terry is a good QB especially for a first year starter in the SEC. I’m happy to have him for 2 more years

I’ve watched parts of most UK games this year. He stinks as a passer. I spoke with a recent former player who said as much and that he shouldn’t be playing.

I’ve watched parts of most UK games this year. He stinks as a passer. I spoke with a recent former player who said as much and that he shouldn’t be playing.
With respect I don’t really care who you talked to or his opinion. Terry is the reason we’ve won as many games as we have. There isn’t a better option in our locker room. Which has been proven time and time again whenever someone else has taken snaps under center.

We would have beat Auburn and gave LSU a good game. Nobody’s messing with Bama.

Merely pointing it out because had those games been on the schedule, you guys likely have 2 more losses. Invariably, if we avoided Michigan and Ohio State and replaced them with any West teams we likely have 2 more wins. Doesn't mean our team would be better.

Avoiding Bama & LSU is a good thing for them. Not sure Auburn is exactly scary. They probably would have rather played Auburn than A&M

Not so sure A&M and Auburn were vastly different this year. UK probably played their worst game all season vs A&M (UGA just steamrolled them, a few decent plays and they could have beaten the Aggies).

With respect I don’t really care who you talked to or his opinion. Terry is the reason we’ve won as many games as we have. There isn’t a better option in our locker room. Which has been proven time and time again whenever someone else has taken snaps under center.

Yeah, he can’t throw well. I’ll be fine if we lose because he was able to throw the ball on us.

We got "boat raced" by one team, which was a top 5 team at the time.:rolleyes:

Hahaha! How do you explain the fact that Terry’s completion percentage is 14 percent higher than your QBs this season? But he can’t throw well?

Trace dealt with a lot of drops but he wasn't very good this year and most of us will admit that. You have to remember that a lot of posters here think that Haskins and Patterson suck so...

I saw Terry Wilson and Kentucky a handful or so times this year. I think he's average with room to grow. If you take away his first read he struggles as most young QBs do.

Hahaha! How do you explain the fact that Terry’s completion percentage is 14 percent higher than your QBs this season? But he can’t throw well?

Scheme
And, our QB did not have a great season due partly to injuries, partly to receiver drops, partly to it just happens sometimes. If Terry can ever reach the level of play Trace has achieved you will be doing backflips.

He’s been the biggest topic of controversy in our fanbase and also been the best QB of the stoops era. I’m more excited about the next few years with him at the helm. His biggest problem is he hesitates when it comes to running. If he would make a decision about a second or two sooner he would have had much better rushing stats. That and our receivers other than Bowden aren’t great.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Yeah, only got crushed by Michigan. You make a valid point about us not beating a ranked opponent. We don't have a great win this year. It can be argued that our best win is App State and Michigan State is a bad loss.

The confidence comes from this being Penn State vs Kentucky. It come from the difference in talent. It comes from the assumption that Trace is healthy again. On paper, Penn State should be he favorite.

I don't have any idea who wins. Probably whichever team wants it more. That might be Kentucky. It might be Penn State. Truthfully, I don't care who wins. Just hope it's a competitive game so I can kill a few hours watching football so New Year's Day.

I find it amusing that you cherry picked 1 of perhaps two stats to inflate your QB while conveniently leaving out the others. All of which favor our QB. But go ahead. Keep believing that you limited your QB to less throws than Snell's rushing attempts because "he throws well".

Did you want serious discussion or just to come over here and establish contact to exclaim wild shit?

He’s been the biggest topic of controversy in our fanbase and also been the best QB of the stoops era. I’m more excited about the next few years with him at the helm. His biggest problem is he hesitates when it comes to running. If he would make a decision about a second or two sooner he would have had much better rushing stats. That and our receivers other than Bowden aren’t great.
[/QUOTE]

I will say that overall, your fan base doesn’t have a great knowledge of football. In fact, I’m heading to church here in a couple of minutes to save seats for the 4:00 Christmas mass and will discuss this game with about 40 different people. Funny thing is, I have to convince most people I talk to down here that UK has a legit chance in the game because they see Penn State vs. UK and assume it is an uneven matchup. I do like this UK team. Tough, disciplined football.
Merry Christmas to you.

I find it amusing that you cherry picked 1 of perhaps two stats to inflate your QB while conveniently leaving out the others. All of which favor our QB. But go ahead. Keep believing that you limited your QB to less throws than Snell's rushing attempts because "he throws well".

Did you want serious discussion or just to come over here and establish contact to exclaim wild shit?
I’m here to talk football. Trace didn’t exactly burn up the stat board. He plays smart football and doesn’t turn it over very often. But you play soft defenses.

I’d be willing to bet if Snell was in your backfield trace would have thrown the ball a lot less too.

Trace dealt with a lot of drops but he wasn't very good this year and most of us will admit that. You have to remember that a lot of posters here think that Haskins and Patterson suck so...

I saw Terry Wilson and Kentucky a handful or so times this year. I think he's average with room to grow. If you take away his first read he struggles as most young QBs do.

And I don’t know what the weather conditions were like for KU but I think this was the worst I’ve ever sat through

I’m here to talk football. Trace didn’t exactly burn up the stat board. He plays smart football and doesn’t turn it over very often. But you play soft defenses.

I’d be willing to bet if Snell was in your backfield trace would have thrown the ball a lot less too.

Honestly hunter, how much Penn State football have you watched this season?

Reactions: BBrown
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT