ADVERTISEMENT

Lance Dixon (hopefully false rumor)

Speaking of great LBer, has anyone seen recent articles that Parsons draft stock may be dropping hard due to his connection to hazing lawsuit and rumors of rampart drinking/partying/misbehavior while an undergrad? At first I thought it might be your normal crap some teams put out there to get a top player to drop (like with Marino) but in today's cancel culture who knows.
Just saw a CBS sports guy saying the Dolphins should take him at #3

Dixon did not stand out this year in any way. Not sure we should be that worried if he bolts besides the thin depth chart. The bigger picture here is that our LB play this padt season was average at best and as some earlier posts in this thread have referenced all roads lead back to Pry.

Biggest concerns I have next year stem from from Franklin being too loyal:

-Defense underperforms and costs us a couple wins, thank you Pry.
-Franklin insists on sticking with Clifford who just doesn't have it when a younger player could be better. OR get a QB through the portal but that window seems to have closed.

Boy, do I hope Yurcich can work some magic with our QB's and specifically Clifford because it appears Franklin is saying it is Clifford or bust.
Please show me where Franklin is saying it’s Clifford or bust. Also, you apparently are at practice since you know that Franklin won’t give a younger guy a shot, so fill us in on how he’s ignoring all these other QB’s during practices. Going with the guy you feel gives you the best chance to win based on what you see after hours and hours of practice is not loyalty, it’s coaching. And from what I saw the last two years, Clifford was the guy who gave us the best shot to win and I wasn’t even at a single practice.

Speaking of great LBer, has anyone seen recent articles that Parsons draft stock may be dropping hard due to his connection to hazing lawsuit and rumors of rampart drinking/partying/misbehavior while an undergrad? At first I thought it might be your normal crap some teams put out there to get a top player to drop (like with Marino) but in today's cancel culture who knows.
The hazing stuff has all been debunked so it is either PSU haters putting that out there or teams that want him trying to get his draft position to drop.

As for "rampart partying", I had not heard that but unless he's doing it during the season, isn't that called "being a college student"?

The hazing stuff has all been debunked so it is either PSU haters putting that out there or teams that want him trying to get his draft position to drop.

As for "rampart partying", I had not heard that but unless he's doing it during the season, isn't that called "being a college student"?

And to go on what you just said.....just sawe a picture of him yesterday and he is ripped and jacked. Excessive partying would hurt his body right? And from the photos I saw, nothing right now is hurting that.

LOL, yea the "rampant partying" line was all "haterade". I never once heard anything about him being a party animal and with the Gestapo in State College I'm sure something would have gotten out if he was.
So I call bull shit on that entire story.

Campbell turned down Texas, no chance he’d take Tenn. Fleck just said he’s not interested in Tennessee.

I’d be shocked if Franklin took it. Tons of issues there.

With Urban off to NFL, if JF wants to leave, mine as well wait out for USC job.

Franklin didn't want to sniff PSU prior to BOB being hired due to the coming sanctions(even though no one knew how bad they be) and JS stink, I can't see him wandering off to UT with sanctions coming. Only think I can see is maybe he like the Tenn area.

rumors of rampart drinking/partying/misbehavior while an undergrad?

His stock is going to drop because he acted like a college student when he was in college??? LOL, that's a good one.

Please show me where Franklin is saying it’s Clifford or bust. Also, you apparently are at practice since you know that Franklin won’t give a younger guy a shot, so fill us in on how he’s ignoring all these other QB’s during practices. Going with the guy you feel gives you the best chance to win based on what you see after hours and hours of practice is not loyalty, it’s coaching. And from what I saw the last two years, Clifford was the guy who gave us the best shot to win and I wasn’t even at a single practice.

Well we tried the #2 QB and that was a bust. Maybe our 3rd string QB is ready, hell, he is so good he got in for a snap or 2 this year, or maybe off to the TR FR coming in.

LOL, yea the "rampant partying" line was all "haterade". I never once heard anything about him being a party animal and with the Gestapo in State College I'm sure something would have gotten out if he was.
So I call bull shit on that entire story.

Funny of the day....recent cbs sports draft has him going 3 to Miami, the same regional outlet that just said he was partying to hard:)

God, I hate the media.

Reactions: bison13

I'm suspicious about this kind of stuff leading up to the draft. It's not unheard of for teams to leak disinformation to hide what they're really thinking. That way some other team may be less inclined to cockblock the Dolphins and trade up with the Jets to get Parsons.

Last edited:
Dolphins leaked a lot of info right before draft last year that they were seriously considering Herbert. After the draft it came out that they were locked in on Tua the whole time.

That said, I can't see Miami passing on one of those WRs to take Parsons. They really need WR help and their defense was pretty solid already.

Reactions: NittanyPirate
I'm suspicious about this kind of stuff leading up to the draft. It's not unheard of for teams to leak disinformation to hide what they're really thinking. That way some other team may be less included to cockblock the Dolphins and trade up with the Jets to get Parsons.
That is EXACTLY what I thought after reading this...especially the vague reference to "partying".

Dolphins leaked a lot of info right before draft last year that they were seriously considering Herbert. After the draft it came out that they were locked in on Tua the whole time.

That said, I can't see Miami passing on one of those WRs to take Parsons. They really need WR help and their defense was pretty solid already.

Doesn't Miami have 2 picks in the first round?
Would they go WR with both picks?
JMO but it looks like this is a pretty good WR class coming out. I mean Bama has 3 (and Waddle missed a lot of the season) that will all probably go very, very high. Plus there is the kid from LSU that opted out.

Clifford was miserable this year and singlehandedly lost us one game but probably two or three. If he is the best we have then that is an indictment on Franklin for a horrendous job of developing quarterbacks. He should be scouring the portal to bring in some competition.

I at least as a lifelong fan am sick of O$U beating us every year. We need a much better QB to beat them. Maybe Yurcich will develop Clifford to play a lot better.

Clifford was miserable this year and singlehandedly lost us one game but probably two or three. If he is the best we have then that is an indictment on Franklin for a horrendous job of developing quarterbacks. He should be scouring the portal to bring in some competition.

I at least as a lifelong fan am sick of O$U beating us every year. We need a much better QB to beat them. Maybe Yurcich will develop Clifford to play a lot better.
Which QB in the portal is better?

You’re right, Clifford had a bad first half of the year, but remember Franklin benched him. Unfortunately, Levis didn’t do any better when he started. And while Clifford did have a bad year, please remember he won 11 games in his first year as a starter....of course you go with him the following year. To not start him would have been bad coaching.

Reactions: bison13 and BBrown

+1. There aren't any.
And wow, maybe covid effects short term memory as well but I do seem to recall that Clifford helped to get
us 11 wins the prior season.
Yes Clifford was bad, Yes the OL was bad at protecting him, Yes he (Clifford) turned the ball over too much, Yes the defense was avg. at best and Yes, LBr play was horrible for the most part. Yes the offensive coaching changes did not work out, Yes the RZ offense was absolutely horrid, Yes to a lot of things that were not all on Clifford.
Clifford does need to improve but I think he has the ability to do it. Lets see if Mike Y can help him get there.

+1. There aren't any.
And wow, maybe covid effects short term memory as well but I do seem to recall that Clifford helped to get
us 11 wins the prior season.
Yes Clifford was bad, Yes the OL was bad at protecting him, Yes he (Clifford) turned the ball over too much, Yes the defense was avg. at best and Yes, LBr play was horrible for the most part. Yes the offensive coaching changes did not work out, Yes the RZ offense was absolutely horrid, Yes to a lot of things that were not all on Clifford.
Clifford does need to improve but I think he has the ability to do it. Lets see if Mike Y can help him get there.
Luke McCaffrey is in the portal. Is he worth a look for after this season?

Actually, there has been some buzz about this for more than a day. His HS coach is now on Michigan's staff. Plus, there have been rumblings of unhappiness from the Dixon family in how he's been used at PSU. No official announcements that I'm aware of, so it's hard to say definitely, but this rumor may have some legs to it.
He was a true freshman, not sure what was expected....he played. If his parents are a pain in the ass.....buh bye.

So if Franklin takes a look at him does that mean he’s going to get him? People act like if a portal player goes somewhere else it’s because Franklin didn’t try to get him.
If we recruit any kid does that mean we're going to get him? CJF recruited Rucci and tried to get him and he went somewhere else.

Kids are in the portal to be re-recruited. If CJF thinks he's a fit, then he should be recruited just like every other player that he recruits. If he misses, oh well, can't get them all.

I don't know where you're coming up with this "people act" shit from my post? That piss in your Cheerios must have been really bad this morning.

If we recruit any kid does that mean we're going to get him? CJF recruited Rucci and tried to get him and he went somewhere else.

Kids are in the portal to be re-recruited. If CJF thinks he's a fit, then he should be recruited just like every other player that he recruits. If he misses, oh well, can't get them all.

I don't know where you're coming up with this "people act" shit from my post? That piss in your Cheerios must have been really bad this morning.
“People act” doesn’t necessarily apply to you....it’s everyone who claims Franklin isn’t trying to get a QB out of the portal or he’s too loyal to try.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
That is EXACTLY what I thought after reading this...especially the vague reference to "partying".
What confirmed for me this was total BS is when they stated "some people" think he might not get drafted at all - that's a lot of Meth Smoking to come up with that one - the NFL has drafted tons of people who actually have committed crimes before. Seems like they are spinning this to try to get Parsons to get bumped down in the draft.

I believe he was saying that it is Franklin's job, given his princely salary, to field a better QB than what Clifford showed last season. The poster did seem to infer that Franklin was not "scouring the portal to bring in some competition", which I believe is not true. The problem as I see it is that it is harder to evaluate how a QB will actually perform on the field in a new system and that the leadership qualities that are also part of the QB equation are also harder to evaluate without the prospective player actually being part of your team for a while. So unlike most other positions it seems harder to project a Portal QB to more success than the QB's currently playing (Clifford and Levis), or even those that Franklin has seen in practice for some time and gotten to know personally such as Roberson.

Obviously it is Franklin's job to determine which QB in the portal is better. And even if someone here believed they knew that Franklin had identified a QB as being better than Clifford and the other current PSU QB's the fact that that QB did not end up would not counter that transfer QB's will go where they want to just as all recruits do.

I thought the QB that transferred from ND to BC last year, Jurkovic?, would have been an upgrade. And Franklin many have thought that as well, but BC gave Jurkovic a clear path to come in and start. Or maybe Jurkovic just did not hit it off with Franklin and his staff. I don't believe we as fans will ever know why or why not Franklin has not brought in a transfer QB. And even though Jurkovic looked pretty good at BC last season, better than Clifford from my view as a fan, Franklin may still not believe the team would be better off with him. Who knows......

With the new OC on board, it would seem that the new OC would have had to have had a recruiting relationship with a Portal QB in the past to attract a current highly sought after portal QB such as Jurkovic (who CJF reportedly did go hard after out of H.S.).

Yep, I know, most of this rambling has nothing to do with your post..... sorry.

Last edited:
What confirmed for me this was total BS is when they stated "some people" think he might not get drafted at all - that's a lot of Meth Smoking to come up with that one - the NFL has drafted tons of people who actually have committed crimes before. Seems like they are spinning this to try to get Parsons to get bumped down in the draft.
Pretty much my take. I can be naive but I’m not an idiot.

• Haha
Reactions: PSU2UNC and BBrown
The problem with a portal QB is IMO, they want to be named the starter. There is no transfer to come in and compete for playing time. Franklin doesn't roll like that. I don't care if he brought in Tom Brady, he would have to beat out Clifford.....which circling back around doesn't make Penn State an ideal landing sport for a transfer.

I believe he was saying that it is Franklin's job, given his princely salary, to field a better QB than what Clifford showed last season. The poster did seem to infer that Franklin was not "scouring the portal to bring in some competition", which I believe is not true. The problem as I see it is that it is harder to evaluate how a QB will actually perform on the field in a new system and that the leadership qualities that are also part of the QB equation are also harder to evaluate without the prospective player actually being part of your team for a while. So unlike most other positions it seems harder to project a Portal QB to more success than the QB's currently playing (Clifford and Levis), or even those that Franklin has seen in practice for some time and gotten to know personally such as Roberson.

Obviously it is Franklin's job to determine which QB in the portal is better. And even if someone here believed they knew that Franklin had identified a QB as being better than Clifford and the other current PSU QB's the fact that that QB did not end up would not counter that transfer QB's will go where they want to just as all recruits do.

I thought the QB that transferred from ND to BC last year, Jurkovic?, would have been an upgrade. And Franklin many have thought that as well, but BC gave Jurkovic a clear path to come in and start. Or maybe Jurkovic just did not hit it off with Franklin and his staff. I don't believe we as fans will ever know why or why not Franklin has not brought in a transfer QB. And even though Jurkovic looked pretty good at BC last season, better than Clifford from my view as a fan, Franklin may still not believe the team would be better off with him. Who knows......

Yep, I know, most of this rambling has nothing to do with your post..... sorry.

I am now a distinct minority here, but I like Clifford and think he has the tools to be Very Good(maybe just short of elite) QB. He also seems to care a hell of a lot and I get the sense the team follows him. Now, that said, he has had some woeful performances that I attribute to a few thing:

1. When we started out 0-4 this season and he was playing the worst football of his life, we could not run the football. We were not blocking, RB's were hurt, and we were getting next to nothing in the run game. In any offense, but particularly an offense that fakes a handoff to the RB on every play, you simply have to have a run game the defense respects. Teams were just teeing off and pinning their ears back to get to Clifford with no thought of the RB. Admittedly, under duress, Clifford made some very very poor judgments with the football, but if you guys remember, the first 4 games of the season, someone was in cliffords lap always.

2. Franklin's desire to turn clifford into a 4.5 40 battering ram that reads one read, then takes off up the field does not suit clifford as a player. Clifford used to have wonderful touch on his long balls and now if he sees a rush, he just bugs out of the pocket and that has been what has been taught in the QB room going back to Trace, Tommy, then Clifford. I don't think it's good for confidence and longetivity(health) at the position generally, but it's been particularly bad for Clifford.

3. Cliffords mechanics suck sometimes, he doesn't transfer his weight and step into his throws(i think he has PTSD about all the times a defender is in his lap) and the ball sails high. Any OC/QB coach worth his salt NEEDS to get this fixed yesterday. You tell clifford that if he throws high and misses easy crossing routes, he simply cannot be the QB of this team; Fact. CLifford needs to be a 62-65% completion guy if we are going to have a good season. He deserves accountability here, these missed targets, to open receivers, are unacceptable. I think he is very capable of fixing the problem, but he can't be in a rush with his throws and he needs to step into them.

I think Clifford can be really good, but he has to stay in the pocket, there needs to be a pocket, we have to be able to run the ball. When we could run towards the end of the year, it really opened things up for Clifford. He needs to step into his throws.

Reactions: bison13
I am now a distinct minority here, but I like Clifford and think he has the tools to be Very Good(maybe just short of elite) QB. He also seems to care a hell of a lot and I get the sense the team follows him. Now, that said, he has had some woeful performances that I attribute to a few thing:

1. When we started out 0-4 this season and he was playing the worst football of his life, we could not run the football. We were not blocking, RB's were hurt, and we were getting next to nothing in the run game. In any offense, but particularly an offense that fakes a handoff to the RB on every play, you simply have to have a run game the defense respects. Teams were just teeing off and pinning their ears back to get to Clifford with no thought of the RB. Admittedly, under duress, Clifford made some very very poor judgments with the football, but if you guys remember, the first 4 games of the season, someone was in cliffords lap always.

2. Franklin's desire to turn clifford into a 4.5 40 battering ram that reads one read, then takes off up the field does not suit clifford as a player. Clifford used to have wonderful touch on his long balls and now if he sees a rush, he just bugs out of the pocket and that has been what has been taught in the QB room going back to Trace, Tommy, then Clifford. I don't think it's good for confidence and longetivity(health) at the position generally, but it's been particularly bad for Clifford.

3. Cliffords mechanics suck sometimes, he doesn't transfer his weight and step into his throws(i think he has PTSD about all the times a defender is in his lap) and the ball sails high. Any OC/QB coach worth his salt NEEDS to get this fixed yesterday. You tell clifford that if he throws high and misses easy crossing routes, he simply cannot be the QB of this team; Fact. CLifford needs to be a 62-65% completion guy if we are going to have a good season. He deserves accountability here, these missed targets, to open receivers, are unacceptable. I think he is very capable of fixing the problem, but he can't be in a rush with his throws and he needs to step into them.

I think Clifford can be really good, but he has to stay in the pocket, there needs to be a pocket, we have to be able to run the ball. When we could run towards the end of the year, it really opened things up for Clifford. He needs to step into his throws.

I'm on the island with you...
giphy.gif

Reactions: PSU2UNC

I don't disagree. 3 OC in 4 years can be part of the problem. Here's a video that I believe was prior to this season.

Reactions: BBrown
I don't disagree. 3 OC in 4 years can be part of the problem. Here's a video that I believe was prior to this season.

Having 3 different OCs could have a detrimental effect on Clifford's development - no doubt. But those who keep repeating this silly mantra (3 OCs in 4 years) as a criticism of CJF is a joke. The only reason Clifford saw 3 OCs in 4 years is because the first 2 OCs he had were hired as Head Coaches, which would be complimentary to CJF's OC hires, not the opposite.

In regards to CJF hiring of Yurcich, this article explains quite clearly that CJF has been trying to hire Yurcich for years - in fact, CJF stated that he attempted to hire him to replace Morehead when he left to take the HC position at Miss State. CJF said he promoted Rahne to OC only after Yurcich turned down his offer:

It's pretty clear that CJF hired Yurcich because he thought it was the best thing to do for the program. This is not a knock on KC - he has very strong credentials in his own right - however, CJF has exhibited a preference for MY for years and acted on an opportunity to get his #1 preference since Morehead left. Good for CJF, I'm sure it was a difficult decision and difficult decision to relay to KC, but at the end of the day the right decision for a HC to make. This is really no different than JoePa's decision to sit many of the starters he inherited in favor of his own recruits in 1967 - a decision that JVP said was very difficult, but in retrospect was absolutely the correct decision and what led to PSU's historic winning streak that ensued after the change.

Good for CJF, I'm sure it was a difficult decision and difficult decision to relay to KC, but at the end of the day the right decision for a HC to make.
You would have to think the decision was easier with a 4-5 record than it would have been if we were 8-1 or 7-2. I think it's an instant upgrade in recruiting as well judging by what MY has done in the past.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN and BBrown
My original post referenced that a key concern I have is that Franklin is too loyal to Clifford to the detriment of the team. I stand by this and will unpack this statement more. There are multiple levels to it, not as simple as Franklin is blindly choosing an inferior quarterback and most importantly not an easy solution. However, Franklin gets paid $6 million a year to solve this major problem.

-Franklin already showed this by not benching Clifford sooner last season. Levis should have started against Nebraska. Come in sooner vs Maryland. I am not saying Levis was or is the answer but that stretch of games was telling that he will stick with the guy too long.

-An earlier post on this thread defends Clifford but then makes a point that he must significantly improve his pocket presence, decsion making and accuracy. Well, not that much else left. What does he do well besides run the ball? I know that is probably too harsh of a criticism but it is frustrating that we are not better at this position.

With these points made I will admit it is not all Clifford but also a Franklin issue.

-What was he thinking bringing Ciarrocca in then realizes the guy and his philosophy is not a good fit? What? I am glad Yurcich is now in place so kudos to Franklin for making the change but what was going on there?

-Why was the offensive line lost for a time last season? We have talent there.

-On the portal for a QB, I do not know if there is a better guy out there. Maybe not, okay then is Franklin preparing to have all the QB's dramatically improve and develop? I guess so, I hope so that is his job after all. It would be nice to try to get a guy from the portal who could bolster our QB room. I get it. It is not that easy and may not be a realistic ask.

At the end of the day like everyone on this board I do NOT want to lose to freaking Wisky because of lousy quarterback play then turn around and lose to Auburn for the same reason and have 2 losses 3 games into the season because the QB position is a hot mess.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT