ADVERTISEMENT

Let the poaching begin

Appreciate that response and totally respect your view on it. Seems like a perfectly reasonable place to draw the line.

Question for clarification: When you say “trying to recruit players off said team,” I assume you’re saying it doesn’t matter that they had already requested to be released from “said team,” right?

Thanks.
I think you would have a different perspective if you had Big Ten Coaches following your players around recruiting them on your campus.......as PSU did back in 2012.
In addition, I'm not sure what message is sent to the athletes who have committed to your program, have sacrificed and waited their turn to see the field. It's not a stretch to see this sort of thing having an adverse impact on the chemistry of the locker room.
Again, just my opinion, but it gives the appearance of a certain level of desperation.....and I don't think that's a good look for Michigan or Harbaugh.
Finally, I would have the same response if I discovered that Franklin is contemplating the same sort of recruiting trip.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
I meant back when they were recruited. I mean, otherwise, why would Patterson's family pull UM out of a hat? Unless there was some kind of prior relationship, I find the newfound interest "hinkey".
Gotcha.

Patterson is from Toledo (60 miles south of Ann Arbor). He grew up a UM fan and his family were season ticket holders for many years. My recollection is that UM was a mess (right after RichRod) when Patterson originally committed to Zona (which hired his brother as an analyst) as a frosh, and then UM had Peters committed in the class already when he decommitted from Zona. I would assume the mutual interest now is borne at least in part from Speight’s unexpected departure.

Jefferson and Anderson were both recruited and offered by UM out of high school. One of them - I forget which - officially visited UM during his recruitment.

I think the most glaring issue is that Harbaugh has yet to be able to identify a good high school qb and develop him into a good college qb. His best season at Mich came with a qb transfer Rudock. None of the qb’s he recruited to date have developed well
In fairness, the first QB he recruited was Peters and he is only a redshirt freshman. I suppose you could make a case for Gentry but JH had a month or so to recruit and he’s playing pretty well at TE. He inherited a mess at that position.

I think you would have a different perspective if you had Big Ten Coaches following your players around recruiting them on your campus.......as PSU did back in 2012.
In addition, I'm not sure what message is sent to the athletes who have committed to your program, have sacrificed and waited their turn to see the field. It's not a stretch to see this sort of thing having an adverse impact on the chemistry of the locker room.
Again, just my opinion, but it gives the appearance of a certain level of desperation.....and I don't think that's a good look for Michigan or Harbaugh.
Finally, I would have the same response if I discovered that Franklin is contemplating the same sort of recruiting trip.
Appreciate the response. Tend to agree that seeing the UM plane parked at the Oxford airport gave me pause. That said, and without knowing the specific situation with each kid/coach at PSU, I don’t find it untoward to recruit a kid after he has asked for and been granted his release from his school. The kid wants to leave and has explicit permission to do so.

Appreciate the response. Tend to agree that seeing the UM plane parked at the Oxford airport gave me pause. That said, and without knowing the specific situation with each kid/coach at PSU, I don’t find it untoward to recruit a kid after he has asked for and been granted his release from his school. The kid wants to leave and has explicit permission to do so.
There are lots of desperate and quasi renegade programs that take marginal JUCOs and transfers to plug the gaps on an annual basis. I would never have counted Michigan, Ohio State or PSU among those programs.
To be clear, I am not questioning the "legality" of bringing these kids into your program. I'm just of the opinion that for short term reward, there could be a very adverse impact within the program. Don't you think its fair to speculate that Coach Harbaugh can't be very confident in the athletes that he has recruited?I don't see Woody, Bo, or JVP doing something like this. Again, I would be sad to see James Franklin do this as well.

There are lots of desperate and quasi renegade programs that take marginal JUCOs and transfers to plug the gaps on an annual basis. I would never have counted Michigan, Ohio State or PSU among those programs.
To be clear, I am not questioning the "legality" of bringing these kids into your program. I'm just of the opinion that for short term reward, there could be a very adverse impact within the program. Don't you think its fair to speculate that Coach Harbaugh can't be very confident in the athletes that he has recruited?I don't see Woody, Bo, or JVP doing something like this. Again, I would be sad to see James Franklin do this as well.
On its face, I don’t find it any more odd (nor materially different) than when Paterno accepted a transfer from UM’s Chris Rogers over a decade ago.

That said, there’s no question this is in large part about depth and competition - especially at the QB and WR positions where Speight just left somewhat unexpectedly (Harbaugh wanted him to stay) and there have been rumblings for weeks of two sophomore WRs considering transferring. There’s a line somewhere between “lack of confidence in your athletes” and “adding depth and competition.” And clearly there’s a line between encouraging a kid to leave his program and the kid having decided on his own that he wants to leave. On the former I tend to think you take talent when you can if you are lacking in numbers or talent at a position - I guess that puts me right “on” that line. On the latter, I think we agree with respect to the “legality” of it.

I’ll also say this...I will be right there with you if any of these guys is given a guarantee beyond being able to compete for a spot. That would make it quite clear that this was a desperate act - and a clearly disrespectful and detrimental one to the kids currently on the roster.

On its face, I don’t find it any more odd (nor materially different) than when Paterno accepted a transfer from UM’s Chris Rogers over a decade ago.

That said, there’s no question this is in large part about depth and competition - especially at the QB and WR positions where Speight just left somewhat unexpectedly (Harbaugh wanted him to stay) and there have been rumblings for weeks of two sophomore WRs considering transferring. There’s a line somewhere between “lack of confidence in your athletes” and “adding depth and competition.” And clearly there’s a line between encouraging a kid to leave his program and the kid having decided on his own that he wants to leave. On the former I tend to think you take talent when you can if you are lacking in numbers or talent at a position - I guess that puts me right “on” that line. On the latter, I think we agree with respect to the “legality” of it.

I’ll also say this...I will be right there with you if any of these guys is given a guarantee beyond being able to compete for a spot. That would make it quite clear that this was a desperate act - and a clearly disrespectful and detrimental one to the kids currently on the roster.
A good debate. But, a conventional transfer (not due to sanctions or graduate) requires a one year hiatus from the field. IMO, a horse of a different color. I don't think Jim would fly to Oxford if these players had to sit a year.

A good debate. But, a conventional transfer (not due to sanctions or graduate) requires a one year hiatus from the field. IMO, a horse of a different color. I don't think Jim would fly to Oxford if these players had to sit a year.
Not sure on that.
Of the three, only Anderson is cleared to play next year (because he sat out this year). Jefferson and Patterson still need to successfully petition the NCAA for a waiver because they aren’t rising seniors (the sanctions extend the bowl ban to next year so only rising seniors were granted the NCAA waiver).

You don't see a difference here? I find that hard to believe.

Having NCAA coaches show up at the Ole Miss campus, to me, is unseemly. If I'm wrong, then we'll see all kinds of NCAA coaches crawling all over the place. I'm sure some will. Let's see who Harbaugh is joined by. The company he keeps will tell you all you need to know.

You should ask McCaffrey and Peters what they think of this. As I said earlier in the thread, they should be permitted to leave via special dispensation if the QB kid is coming in via special dispensation. That's only fair. Seems to me that they are the ones being unfairly punished here. After all, they played by the rules.

Then you have an issue with schools bringing in guys that have graduated because it impacts the kids on the roster?

I really believe the only reason there's any anger about this is because our players were free not so long ago

We're talking about adding talent...same thing every program does
What do you think the long term harm is? Few if any recruits are going to be scared to go there thinking he may bring in someone else. Same logic fans use to say kids shouldn't pick Bama. No one should be afraid of competition. If they are who wants them anyway?
Stevens, for example, understands that he has to sit for another year behind McSorley. Do you really think other programs shouldn't try to bring him in if he elects to move on? I think schools should be lining up for him the second he would make it known he wants to transfer. The kid can help any program. So can a bunch of kids at Ole Miss.

Last edited:
Gotcha.

Patterson is from Toledo (60 miles south of Ann Arbor). He grew up a UM fan and his family were season ticket holders for many years. My recollection is that UM was a mess (right after RichRod) when Patterson originally committed to Zona (which hired his brother as an analyst) as a frosh, and then UM had Peters committed in the class already when he decommitted from Zona. I would assume the mutual interest now is borne at least in part from Speight’s unexpected departure.

Jefferson and Anderson were both recruited and offered by UM out of high school. One of them - I forget which - officially visited UM during his recruitment.
Sounds reasonable. It get's the Woodpecker stamp of approval ... of course that and about $20 will get a small (or whatever they call it) cup of coffee (they DO sell just coffee, don't they?) at Starbucks

Reactions: Anison
Team chemistry is a huge intangible --- maybe bringing in 5 Ole Miss guys (if that's what it winds up being) helps team chemistry, maybe it hurts.

That's for Harbaugh to judge. If it hurts team chemistry, that's on JH.

One positive about Franklin --- I feel he's done a GOOD job, particularly in 2016 after our rough September, in terms of team chemistry and gauging it and reacting to it.

You don't see a difference here? I find that hard to believe.

Having NCAA coaches show up at the Ole Miss campus, to me, is unseemly. If I'm wrong, then we'll see all kinds of NCAA coaches crawling all over the place. I'm sure some will. Let's see who Harbaugh is joined by. The company he keeps will tell you all you need to know.

You should ask McCaffrey and Peters what they think of this. As I said earlier in the thread, they should be permitted to leave via special dispensation if the QB kid is coming in via special dispensation. That's only fair. Seems to me that they are the ones being unfairly punished here. After all, they played by the rules.

I would only add...Is Urban at Ole Miss ? Franklin ? D'Antonio? Saban ? Sweeney? Hmmm...but Hairball is...yup...he is a Michigan Man !

Wonder what really happened in that SF 49er Lockeroom after they lost to Seattle a few years back...Jim was their leader...interesting...

Didn't PSU get kids when Franklin came here from Vandy? Amazing nobody had an issue with it then.

Didn't PSU get kids when Franklin came here from Vandy? Amazing nobody had an issue with it then.

That did happen ---- and if we're being honest, our 2014 & 2015 teams had some team chemistry issues. O'Brien's guys and Franklin's guys - not to mention some JoePa guys too - there was tension there.

Harbaugh can do what he wants - this is all legal. But it's a risk. I honestly wouldn't bring in more than 2 if I was him.

That did happen ---- and if we're being honest, our 2014 & 2015 teams had some team chemistry issues. O'Brien's guys and Franklin's guys - not to mention some JoePa guys too - there was tension there.

Harbaugh can do what he wants - this is all legal. But it's a risk. I honestly wouldn't bring in more than 2 if I was him.

Also none of the players who came from Vandy actually came from "Vandy". They were recruits/commits but not enrolled athletes at Vandy that needed releases.

Reactions: m48tank and harjeff

Those were decommits like Barkley from Rutgers.....they never played for Vandy.

I generally try to stay out of it with this level of vitriol toward my dear alma mater. And I’m not interested in arguing whether Harbaugh is a dbag or an ahole, whether he’s being unfair to current kids in the roster, or his inability to develop talent (you guys have fun with that)....but is it really “poaching” to recruit kids who have requested and received their releases from a program which was just heavily sanctioned by the NCAA?

I’ll sit back and watch the hate spew at me. Hoping one or more will actually respond to the question though.
You have a good point. But it gets obscured a bit by things like:

1. The Sleepover
2. The fact that Jimbo appears to have been the very first vulture to arrive on the scene for these two prospective transfers. (And I don't think "vulture" is too far from the fact in this context.)

Yeah, but the players don't deserve to be punished because of their idiot coaches. No real elegant way to do this, but some are better than others (ie, not how Jimmy is doing it).
Why shouldn’t the players be punished ? They took the money and the illegal benefits.

Remember when Paterno flew up to Ann Arbor to try and convince Rogers to come to PSU? No? hmmmmm............

I'd like to know your reason for jumping into this thread, and this applies to all of our UM guests. Did you think you'd enlighten PSU board posters to the knowledge that Harbaugh is really a swell guy, and not even the least bit looney? Was it just to come over and stir things up because it was a slow night? Perhaps it was to expand your base of trying to convince yourselves that all is well in Ann Arbor. Whatever it is, I'm feeling a sense of deja vu after reading stuff from your half-brothers to the south who, it seemed, wanted us to jump on their "OSU got screwed, so commiserate with us" bandwagon. BTW, I don't happen to believe Harbaugh is "poaching," just that flying to Oxford, MS, is not a good look.

For the record, I don't condone other PSU fans going to different boards with the same "woe is me" act, but I don't tell them not to, just like I'm not telling you all not to come here. Heck, some of you (not all, by any means) have been here before engaged in useful banter. Just curious about your motivation in this case, and what reaction you expect to encounter.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion

So now you are equating an every day run of the mill transfer to go home to flying on a private jet to re-recruit kids. I say this with peace and love, peace and love....don't even try to sell that BS here. Honestly, just say I'm a homer and JH is doing this legally so I'll stick with him. It's honest and to the point. I don't expect 99.99% of college fans to understand why this is FUBAR and most of that isn't even on JH, but Emmert and that corrupt organization. That being said comparing the Rogers transfer was gold...pure internet homer gold. Good stuff.

You guys are so obsessed where kids go to college at.. It's there choice, there is nothing illegal going on.

If the top recruit wanted to come to PSU would you have a issue with it. In fact there was a thread here asking about an Ole Miss and Tennessee kids we could go after.

Reactions: TheCandyMan
Remember when Paterno flew up to Ann Arbor to try and convince Rogers to come to PSU? No? hmmmmm............

I'd like to know your reason for jumping into this thread, and this applies to all of our UM guests. Did you think you'd enlighten PSU board posters to the knowledge that Harbaugh is really a swell guy, and not even the least bit looney? Was it just to come over and stir things up because it was a slow night? Perhaps it was to expand your base of trying to convince yourselves that all is well in Ann Arbor. Whatever it is, I'm feeling a sense of deja vu after reading stuff from your half-brothers to the south who, it seemed, wanted us to jump on their "OSU got screwed, so commiserate with us" bandwagon. BTW, I don't happen to believe Harbaugh is "poaching," just that flying to Oxford, MS, is not a good look.

For the record, I don't condone other PSU fans going to different boards with the same "woe is me" act, but I don't tell them not to, just like I'm not telling you all not to come here. Heck, some of you (not all, by any means) have been here before engaged in useful banter. Just curious about your motivation in this case, and what reaction you expect to encounter.
I’ve been posting on this board for the better part of the past twenty years. In fact, I used to be one of the more frequent posters here.

You are certainly welcome to attack UM and Jim Harbaugh on your board, but you won’t question my track record here.

Not sure on that.
Of the three, only Anderson is cleared to play next year (because he sat out this year). Jefferson and Patterson still need to successfully petition the NCAA for a waiver because they aren’t rising seniors (the sanctions extend the bowl ban to next year so only rising seniors were granted the NCAA waiver).
Anison,
Let me assure you that Jim Delany will make sure the NCAA takes care of the waiver. If I am proven wrong, please come back and berate me accordingly.

Anison,
Let me assure you that Jim Delany will make sure the NCAA takes care of the waiver. If I am proven wrong, please come back and berate me accordingly.
Delaney is an asshat.
That said, it sounds like Emmert - of all people - wants to punish Ole Miss as hard as possible so he may be responsible ultimately for all the Ole Miss guys who want to transfer getting waivers to play next season. We’ll see what happens.

I’ve been posting on this board for the better part of the past twenty years. In fact, I used to be one of the more frequent posters here.

You are certainly welcome to attack UM and Jim Harbaugh on your board, but you won’t question my track record here.

First of all, get off your high horse. Second, learn to read what's there, not what you think is there. Question your track record? I specifically limited my comments to this thread. I know you post frequently; you're one of those I was referring to in the welcomed visitor category. I might have to reevaluate after your hissy fit, though.

First of all, get off your high horse. Second, learn to read what's there, not what you think is there. Question your track record? I specifically limited my comments to this thread. I know you post frequently; you're one of those I was referring to in the welcomed visitor category. I might have to reevaluate after your hissy fit, though.
That’s one helluva revisionist history of a post you made just a few up in this thread. High comedy.

As I said - drag UM and Harbaugh all you want. Don’t play the “you just came here to stir things up” game with me.

Appreciate that response and totally respect your view on it. Seems like a perfectly reasonable place to draw the line.

Question for clarification: When you say “trying to recruit players off said team,” I assume you’re saying it doesn’t matter that they had already requested to be released from “said team,” right?

Thanks.
If the kids want to transfer and have been give the permission then its fair game, but I still would not want an opposing coach showing up on my campus no matter what. What Time Beckman from Illinois did at PSU was despicable and I was soooooo glad we smacked them the next year when playing.

Also none of the players who came from Vandy actually came from "Vandy". They were recruits/commits but not enrolled athletes at Vandy that needed releases.
^^^^This^^^ Big difference between high school kids flipping a commitment when a HC changes jobs vs taking kids who are already established on a college team. Not talkin about the legality of the situation here, just the optics and team chemistry....just doesn't feel right for a big time program to be out trying to nab a few kids from another college team.

That’s one helluva revisionist history of a post you made just a few up in this thread. High comedy.

As I said - drag UM and Harbaugh all you want. Don’t play the “you just came here to stir things up” game with me.

You really are a hopeless Michigan Man. Have fun stirring up more crap.

See how well telling me what I can't do works? It's time to leave you to your indignation.

Reactions: joro
reading stuff from your half-brothers to the south who, it seemed, wanted us to jump on their "OSU got screwed, so commiserate with us" bandwagon.

Please be specific about "commiserate with us" comment. I have said that Bama was 4 and OSU was 5. Bama didn't beat anyone although OSU did. However, OSU's bad loss is worse than Bama's lack of quality wins. I have consistently said that and yet have been misinterpreted. Simply came here to get PSU's views.

As do many people in Ohio, I totally understand Bama getting in. Don't really understand the need of people here to portray virtually all OSU fans as totally unhappy with Bama's selection.

Not sure why a HS QB would commit there. This will be the 3rd graduate transfer he has recruited over them.
Saw a funny post on the the michigan board earlier this week asking if these players will be double dipping since we already know they got paid at Ole Miss or if UM gets a free pass with them.

I have to imagine this will be used heavily against him in recruiting.
Guy has no loyalty and this practice is an open admission that he cannot develop talent.
I understand that he can promote his fourth place status in the East but even that has to lose its luster sooner or later.

Reactions: Big Blue12
Trust us. It will happen.
Have you followed Shea Patterson’s recruitment history since he was a high school freshman? From Arizona to LSU to Ole Miss, his commitment has always had strings attached, specifically in the form of a cushy post for his brother. If Big Blue can land Shea without nepotism, your program will be the shining exception to the rule.

PCB Rebel’s comment is spot on. Realistic fans in our situation expect transfers, even recruiting visits from other coaches. However, you have to draw the line when an athletic department employee and brother of the #1 QB on the depth chart recruits for another program while he’s on your payroll. (Not just a rumor. Sean Jr. made the mistake of contacting D.K. Metcalf, son of Ole Miss alum Terrence Metcalf, re transferring with Shea. Are you sure you want to hire this guy?)

Posted by AustinRebel on Dec 8, 2017 | 3:33 PM

You threw a whole lot into that article, but I'll respond to what (imo) is pissing Ole Miss fans off.

Shea Patterson’s older brother is a player personnel analyst for Ole Miss. It’s pretty clear now that he will likely be given a job on the Michigan staff if Shea Patterson transfers there (which seems pretty likely at this point). Apparently he has been calling current Ole Miss players that haven’t shown an interest in transferring to try to talk them into doing so. No fan (or Athletic Director) is cool with a former staffer openly trying to recruit other players to transfer.

So I’m not sure why y’all don’t understand why Ole Miss fans would be upset about this. Sure, we’re a little sensitive right now based on all the shit going on, & now we’ve got a former staff member trying to recruit players to leave the team on top of the 5-6 already transferring? Yeah, Ole Miss fans are little peeved right now & I’d say rightfully so.

Posted by PCB Rebel on Dec 8, 2017 | 1:58 PM

? ? ?
"Harbaugh isn’t going to give someone a job just to land a player."

https://www.si.com/college-football...-michigan-wolverines-gwen-bush-punt-pass-pork

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2016/02/devin_bush_sr_headed_to_michig.html

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...3/michigan-football-michael-johnson/97859428/

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...leton-recruiting-michigan-commit-jim-harbaugh

Posted by verbosedutch on Dec 8, 2017 | 7:44 PM

I didn't address much of what you threw against the wall because I didn't have time for a dissertation.
I simply addressed what was pissing off Ole Miss fans. Look, y’all are already likely going to get 3 very good players from our already depleted roster at literally no cost to Michigan other than your current QB room is already a disaster. So good on Jimmy for that. Now, if he’s really directing Shea’s brother to actively recruit other players that, as of yet, have shown no interest in leaving; then that is shady as ****. That is why Ole Miss fans are upset, & why our AD is saying that back channel, bush league recruiting is bullshit.

Posted by PCB Rebel on Dec 8, 2017 | 4:59 PM

Hatrbaugh has a solid history
for hiring family of recruits. no reason to think this will be different

Posted by Tarsidea on Dec 8, 2017 | 11:43 PM
He really doesn't though have a history of doing that though

Posted by Trevor Woods on Dec 8, 2017 | 11:48 PM
I’m really unsure how you come to that conclusion
https://deadspin.com/jim-harbaugh-hired-the-parent-of-a-top-recruit-again-1792370543

Gwen Bush http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/harbaugh-hires-wayne-lyons-mom

Chris Partridge https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...leton-recruiting-michigan-commit-jim-harbaugh

Devin Bush, Sr. http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...h-headed-to-michigan-0219-20160218-story.html

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT