ADVERTISEMENT

Levi Haines...."it's what we do".

I think saying “zero chance” is strong language to use. And by many accounts (even Cael himself) Beau isn’t a big 141 lber. So saying zero chance he goes 141 is just not based on fact unless you have talked to Beau himself and he’s told you that. There are many reasons he has wrestled where he has the past 3 years. It’s called several national championships at 133 and 141 ahead of him. And I can guarantee you that if RBY and Lee would have bumped up a weight last year then he would have been the starting 133 lber. This is nothing to do with Stillwater. Levi is struggling to make 157 by many accounts and it is a big cut. It’s just the way the sport goes. Kids dream of wrestling for a national title. If Beau feels his best shot at that is at 133 (especially with the top guys leaving) then that is where he will be. Again, I’m not saying it happens. But it’s not even close to out of the possibility.
Levi stated he walks around at 165 right now...

In general, a guy that "walks around at 165" probably shouldn't have tons of problems making 157, but obviously each person is different, their bodies are different, their metabolisms function differently, etc. etc.. He's also young enough that it's possible or even probable that he's possibly still growing a bit. Cael says that he's not going to make 157 for long and I'd assume Cael knows a lot more about the kid than I do.

Levi is pretty much a lock to get the 2 seed at B1Gs if he wins against Iowa (which he should)
Saldate today is his toughest match left and Paddy Gallagher seems finally healthy so 3 ranked opponents left before bigs so lock might be a stretch. Likely, but no lock imo.

That sucks cause he has to make 157 in a few hours.
I would say most 157s walk around near 165 some more. 8 lbs for a middle weight isn't fun but also isn't outrageous. I think RBY has said he has been as high as 145, now if true that 12 lbs for a light weight sounds downright painful. Let's hope it was immediately following Thanksgiving dinner before he took a dump ;-/

One of Cael's many successful tactics is to avoid big cuts. I expect Beau is walking around with a smallish cut say 145.

Wrestling up a weight does not deliver optimal results (Beau the past 2 years). Likewise down a weight being even more punative. I think we can all admit Beau looks optimal this year and his performance so far a testament.

IMO I stand by my opinion he has zero chance of wrestling 133 next year. By all accounts Davis is quite a bit smaller than Beau. Having Beau go down and Davis go up seems to guarantee two wrestlers are less than optimal, potentially just down right ineffective in terms of desired points at nationals. I am sure Cael has already looked at next year's lineup and has 'a plan' already percolating. Maybe we should submit a question to Flo so Pyles can opine.

Heck for all we know the plan might be Davis at 125 and Howard at 133, granted the unknowns there.

It's great thread banter, but Zero chance Beau goes down IMO. Save this one so you can stomp on me next November.

Reactions: Ski and mcpat
I would say most 157s walk around near 165 some more. 8 lbs for a middle weight isn't fun but also isn't outrageous. I think RBY has said he has been as high as 145, now if true that 12 lbs for a light weight sounds downright painful. Let's hope it was immediately following Thanksgiving dinner before he took a dump ;-/

One of Cael's many successful tactics is to avoid big cuts. I expect Beau is walking around with a smallish cut say 145.

Wrestling up a weight does not deliver optimal results (Beau the past 2 years). Likewise down a weight being even more punative. I think we can all admit Beau looks optimal this year and his performance so far a testament.

IMO I stand by my opinion he has zero chance of wrestling 133 next year. By all accounts Davis is quite a bit smaller than Beau. Having Beau go down and Davis go up seems to guarantee two wrestlers are less than optimal, potentially just down right ineffective in terms of desired points at nationals. I am sure Cael has already looked at next year's lineup and has 'a plan' already percolating. Maybe we should submit a question to Flo so Pyles can opine.

Heck for all we know the plan might be Davis at 125 and Howard at 133, granted the unknowns there.

It's great thread banter, but Zero chance Beau goes down IMO. Save this one so you can stomp on me next November.
I think people are saying that if BB went 133 then Evans would go 141 and Davis redshirts or goes 125. I agree with you though that BB isn’t going to go 133. I think Evans has a better chance of going down but I don’t have any idea if he can make it either. Would be great if 1 of them can though

I think people are saying that if BB went 133 then Evans would go 141 and Davis redshirts or goes 125. I agree with you though that BB isn’t going to go 133. I think Evans has a better chance of going down but I don’t have any idea if he can make it either. Would be great if 1 of them can though
When they wrestled, I thought Evans looked the larger of the two and Evans wrestled 133 last year. I don’t know if Beau can make 133 but even Cael said he’s not a big 141 lber. The way Beau wrestlers - a lot of power moves - I’d think he’d do even better at a lower weight but 8 more lbs is asking a lot.

I do love your confidence. Lol. I’m assuming Evans can no longer make 133 either. We shall see. Cael surely has a plan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT