ADVERTISEMENT

Live updates from Cael Sanderson's media day press conference

Thanks Tim for all the updates!! Much appreciated! Everything as expected pretty much. I was secretly hoping they picked a starter at 125 (Teske/Teasdale), but other than that, business as usual. Glad to see RBY going right away

Then also as a personal note, I just wanted to share quickly here that I'm voluntarily taking a step back from BWI's weekly wrestling coverage this season. Of course I'll still be following closely, keeping an eye on things and I'll chime in here and there. I just have some fun and exciting things happening back home that limit how much time I can commit

No worries though. We're bringing on a special contributor who will continue our coverage, someone many of you are familiar with. Should be seeing his work around here later today or tomorrow

I have always appreciated your reports and coverage, good luck in your other endeavors!

Thanks Tim for all the updates!! Much appreciated! Everything as expected pretty much. I was secretly hoping they picked a starter at 125 (Teske/Teasdale), but other than that, business as usual. Glad to see RBY going right away
I like the approach. No reason to rush into a decision, plus each will get more opportunities on the open circuit before Xmas than they would on the dual schedule. RBY meanwhile seems like he’s about to do some good things right away

RBY was asked "whats maybe something that surprised you when you came into the PSU wrestling room and started practicing?"

His answer, without hesitation, "what surprised me the most is that my wrestling is there" then spoke to his perceived differences between high school and college wrestling and his confidence in his ability (couldn't quite make out what he said exactly)

Then reporter goes "So you're ready to go on Sunday?"

RBY: "Yeah ready to go, Excited!"

Well Roman, we share the same sentiment. Let's Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like the approach. No reason to rush into a decision, plus each will get more opportunities on the open circuit before Xmas than they would on the dual schedule. RBY meanwhile seems like he’s about to do some good things right away

You're 100% correct..I guess I was just hoping one of them seperated themselves enough from the other that it would be no question..I will certainly enjoy how it plays out

Then also as a personal note, I just wanted to share quickly here that I'm voluntarily taking a step back from BWI's weekly wrestling coverage this season. Of course I'll still be following closely, keeping an eye on things and I'll chime in here and there. I just have some fun and exciting things happening back home that limit how much time I can commit

No worries though. We're bringing on a special contributor who will continue our coverage, someone many of you are familiar with. Should be seeing his work around here later today or tomorrow

@Tim Owen/BWI staff - Thank you. I love PSU football and wrestling. Your contributions to us fans is greatly appreciated.

RBY ..., without hesitation, "what surprised me the most is that my wrestling is there" ...
I can only be kidding when I say, “I knew I am good, but I didn’t know I am that good!” It must feel great to say it for real. BTW, Larry Bird had a similar quote about his first NBA practice.

Reactions: pawrest01
You're 100% correct..I guess I was just hoping one of them seperated themselves enough from the other that it would be no question..I will certainly enjoy how it plays out

There may be some separation but I think the coaches may want to keep the option of redshirting both Teske and Teasdale this year if it looks like they don't need them for the team race. Next year Bravo-Young could then redshirt while those guys man 125 and 133.

Is there anywhere to watch the wrestler interviews? Just checked my wife’s Facebook and I didn’t see any posted?

I was able to watch Cael’s presser

Thanks

Cael is just awesome. Is there anyone on a big stage more humble and unassuming? We are so blessed.

If I were only decades younger and talented, there is no program that could lure me away from that room.

Then again if I were young again and in the best shape of my life I might have just won a wrestle off for the waterboy position. I used to roll and tape a mean mat too.

Last edited:
Reactions: dwkeller
Key Tidbits - most discussed but reading between the lines:

1) They are being careful with Berge's decent. I take it he and Verk couldn't wrestle off yet if they wanted. I like it, it's definitely a stretch for Berge so the slower the better

2) Nick showed some real grit, wrestling hurt and doing well at Nationals. Now fully healed after surgery, I can't wait for him and Cassar to meet at the Keystone. Many of us thought Nick wasnt himself at Nationals last year, definitely a front runner for a finalist this year.

3) As many suspected I think we'll get a full dose of Schnupp until the scuffle. Cael had some praise for him. Maybe he gained 5+ lbs of muscle and. If he were no longer undersized who knows maybe Cael will stick with him all year.

4) Cael is usually pretty reserved w.r.t. openly praising true freshmen I am already starting to think RBY might shock some folks in the hardest weight in the country. I was always saying low AA despite the competition, anything higher would be more than amazing for our future, but just maybe....

5) Bo, even after training with DT is ''well over 200lbs". That suprized me a little. I think after honing his skills with a world champion the last month, Bo might make quick work of Kyle Conel. Mark me down for a pin fall.

Does anyone know about Teasdales weight certification? Considering some of the issues he had in the past it might take a while before he could actually make 125.

Does anyone know about Teasdales weight certification? Considering some of the issues he had in the past it might take a while before he could actually make 125.
You can't tell anything for certain with the initial weights on Track, but it looks like Teasdale certified weighing above 125 and below 133, which makes certification at 125 a possibility.

Couple of other things I noticed on Track:
1) Jack Davis and Paul Feite are not certified yet, although they are still listed on the official PSU roster.
2) Aarif Asif (165) is certified with PSU's Track roster. Not yet added to the PSU official roster, although I would assume that will come shortly. I believe he wrestled for the club team last year, ala Scotty Stossel.

Hasn't wrestled off yet. Bergey is probably not quite ready yet to wrestle off. See him for the first time at the Keystone Classic also. Verkleeren is very good and gotten better. He's a fun wrestler to watch, will continue to improve.

Berge has a descent plan and been making weight. He's got to be very disciplined. Great kid and he knew that was going to be the case. Body is in great shape so he'll be wrestling at 149. Great options with a couple other competitive guys in there as well

Keystone Classic gonna be exciting.

I'm just pumped to see our boys on the mat again Sunday...WE ARE!!

tumblr_inline_nxyqabjn8e1qz6egk_500.gif

5) Bo, even after training with DT is ''well over 200lbs". That suprized me a little. I think after honing his skills with a world champion the last month, Bo might make quick work of Kyle Conel. Mark me down for a pin fall.

63 GogglesPaizano, Yesterday at 8:44 PM

I'm afraid the Bo-Conel match is not coming off this week due to Conel's injury. I'm greatly disappointed as is probably everyone else. Maybe at NCAA's!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT