ADVERTISEMENT

Lock Haven hiring new asst coach

Pennstate1985

Mar 14, 2016
I wonder who will get it, and who left for the position to be open.

http://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=eb...edium=organic_listings&utm_campaign=affiliate

Job Description Summary
The primary function of this position is to serve as the Assistant Coach of the wrestling team at Lock Haven University ( LHU ). This position is responsible for assisting the head coach with the management, development, and implementation of all aspects of a Division I wrestling program including but not limited to: budgeting, fundraising, planning, evaluating, organizing, scheduling, recruiting, skill instruction, student-athlete & staff development, academic support, and game plan development.

Essential Duties
Assist the head coach with developing a competitive NCAA Division I Wrestling program in a manner consistent with the philosophy, core values, and guidelines of NCAA Division I, the Eastern Wrestling League ( EWL ), Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference ( PSAC ) and Lock Haven University.

Demonstrate compliance with all NCAA Division I, EWL and PSAC rules; including timely submission of all compliance forms, adherence to all compliance policies and procedures, and attendance of mandatory NCAA rules education sessions. Coaches will be held accountable for all NCAA Division I rules compliance, and compliance will be part of the yearly evaluation process.

Fundraise, market, and promote the wrestling program and LHU Athletics.

Work in conjunction with Athletic Administration and the LHU Foundation to develop a fundraising strategy to enhance the Wrestling program.

Assist the head coach with the establishment of team rules, strategic vision, playing philosophy, development of student-athletes and staff, game plan development, training strategy, recruiting strategy, budget management, non-conference scheduling, and academic performance.

Ability to demonstrate wrestling skill instruction.

Hopefully this means the program has received additional funding and will have a complete coaching staff. Also, per the latest NLWC newsletter Eric Thompson is leaving the NLWC to be a volunteer assistant coach at LHU.

What are the terms of "volunteer assistant coach"? Volunteer normally means unpaid, but I highly doubt that is the case for these coaches. If they are indeed remunerated, why do they call it volunteer?

What are the terms of "volunteer assistant coach"? Volunteer normally means unpaid, but I highly doubt that is the case for these coaches. If they are indeed remunerated, why do they call it volunteer?
maybe volunteer time to the team, but get paid via camps???

In Wrestling, the NCAA limits the "Number of Coaches" to 3 (each sport is listed in the Handbook). This excludes graduate assistant, undergrad assistant, and volunteer coaches, so for us is Cael, Cody, and Casey. Several sections of the rulebook may be of interest. They are copied below;

11.01.5 Coach, Volunteer.
In sports other than football and basketball, a volunteer coach is any coach who does not receive compensation or remuneration from the institution’s athletics department or any organization funded in whole or in part by the athletics department or that is involved primarily in the promotion of the institution’s athletics program (e.g., booster club, athletics foundation association). The following provisions shall apply: (Revised: 1/10/92 effective 8/1/92, 1/16/93, 1/11/94, 4/26/01 effective 8/1/01, 4/29/04 effective 8/1/04, 1/10/05 effective 8/1/05, 5/26/06)

(a) The individual is prohibited from contacting and evaluating prospective student-athletes off campus or from scouting opponents off campus and may not perform recruiting coordination functions (see Bylaw 11.7.2).

(b) The individual may receive a maximum of two complimentary tickets to home athletics contests in the coach’s sport.

(c) The individual may receive complimentary meals incidental to organized team activities (e.g., pre- or postgame meals, occasional meals, but not training table meals) or meals provided during a prospective student-athlete’s official visit, provided the individual dines with the prospective student-athlete.

11.7.6.2.3 Volunteer Coach. In sports other than football, basketball, women’s equestrian, women’s rowing and women’s triathlon, a member institution may use the services of one volunteer coach (per Bylaw 11.01.5). Indoor track and field, outdoor track and field, and cross country are separate sports for purposes of this provision. In sports in which the NCAA conducts separate men’s and women’s championships, a combined men’s and women’s program may use two volunteer coaches.

In addition, there's a Table in the rulebook that will not copy/paste in readable form here, but allows Volunteer Coaches the following;
- May receive camp compensation from athletics department
- May receive camp compensation from source other than athletics department
- Employment outside athletics department arranged by institution
- May receive compensation from institution for duties actually performed outside athletics department, from source outside athletics department

Volunteer coach compensation possibilities seems broad in your link Roar. Appears that anything goes with regard to compensation as long as the athletic dept isn't writing the check. Is that how it reads to you?

Volunteer coach compensation possibilities seems broad in your link Roar. Appears that anything goes with regard to compensation as long as the athletic dept isn't writing the check. Is that how it reads to you?
Yeah, they just can't be compensated for their coaching. Volunteer Coaches can receive 2 free Home Dual tickets per season but none for Away Duals, cannot be given use of a car, nor can they receive complimentary Country Club, Health Club or other such benefits...in case you wanted to know ;)...hard to believe I actually enjoy reading some of this stuff...my wife stopped worrying long ago, so guess all's good!!

Yeah, they just can't be compensated for their coaching. Volunteer Coaches can receive 2 free Home Dual tickets per season but none for Away Duals, cannot be given use of a car, nor can they receive complimentary Country Club, Health Club or other such benefits...in case you wanted to know ;)...hard to believe I actually enjoy reading some of this stuff...my wife stopped worrying long ago, so guess all's good!!
Your wife spoils you far too much it seems. The real world looks far different. I was thinking about applying for the job, but was angling for the country club membership, so will have to pass. Besides, I am more into wine than health drinks, and would be gassing at performing the handshake pre-match.

Your wife spoils you far too much it seems. The real world looks far different. I was thinking about applying for the job, but was angling for the country club membership, so will have to pass. Besides, I am more into wine than health drinks, and would be gassing at performing the handshake pre-match.
Ha! Spoiled for xx (a long time!) years, I'll take it, lol...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT