ADVERTISEMENT

LOL...Stetson Bennett, seven years in college with zero degrees

There are probably no less than 50 UGA boosters who will gladly give him a sales job. If he can avoid being a drunk, he'll ride those 2 title wins for life.

That's what you say - doesn't make it so. Wealthy alumns are far less generous with their $$$ when an athlete's playing days are thru.... - they didn't get wealthy by running big-$$$ charity give-aways. Ask Maurice Clarrett about all the job offers he had when his playing days were through.... and he was busted with gobfuls of booster $$$ during his playing days.

That's what you say - doesn't make it so. Wealthy alumns are far less generous with their $$$ when an athlete's playing days are thru.... - they didn't get wealthy by running big-$$$ charity give-aways. Ask Maurice Clarrett about all the job offers he had when his playing days were through.... and he was busted with gobfuls of booster $$$ during his playing days.

Clarett is a much different situation. Kicked out of school after 1 season. Fought the NFL and lost. Finally got to the NFL and did nothing. Arrested, then convicted, spent a few years in prison.

Again, there is a reason I wrote "...if he can avoid being a drunk." And even if he is, somebody will give him a shot to sell some Kias in Georgia and flash those rings in the showroom.

Clarett is a much different situation. Kicked out of school after 1 season. Fought the NFL and lost. Finally got to the NFL and did nothing. Arrested, then convicted, spent a few years in prison.

Again, there is a reason I wrote "...if he can avoid being a drunk." And even if he is, somebody will give him a shot to sell some Kias in Georgia and flash those rings in the showroom.
condos, time shares, whole life, Kias, internet plans, as long as he has some social skills and ability to chat people up.....

Don't forget the running for his life from the Israeli mafia incident. That's got to be the most unique experience of any college football player out there.

Reactions: lazydave841
For what it’s worth, he was in college for six years, not seven. He also spent a year elsewhere, so who knows what actually transferred as far as credits.

It is amazing he was in school for 6 years, likely took summer classes like most football players do, and yet still didn’t graduate.

Someone might want to look into how he remained academically eligible for all those years without graduating. 😳

But
There are probably no less than 50 UGA boosters who will gladly give him a sales job. If he can avoid being a drunk, he'll ride those 2 title wins for life.
He’s set for a job anywhere in the state of Georgia and he probably laid more than 99.99% of college guys any they were all likely by hot chick all 8-10s.

I happened to read the comment section on the site Saturdays in the South where I first saw this news. When you have Alabama and Tennessee fans piling on about "academics" while GA fans are talkin' ring smack it was a sight to behold.

Many college students never finish for a myriad of reasons, but there is nothing in Bennets background that can legitimize NOT finding a way to earn even a General Studies degree. Transferring, Juco etc likely impacted things, but UGA aint Cornell.

Tuition, room and board not an issue, had all of the Academic support and Guidance that he needed. He just didn't prioritize his academics. Yeah he left early to train for draft like Saquon, so maybe after enduring the shame he finishes up. Or not.

Yeah he will be fine in life. But he also deservedly is a punchline. Yet another bad look for the Dawgs. 50/50 shot he goes Jeff Smoker alcoholic train wreck while holding onto his Glory Days. Time will tell....

Reactions: royboy
So bad that the #1 QB committed there yesterday.

I agree that it looks terrible and sounds awful, but at the end of the day, the machine keeps rolling on.
Exactly. Which is why people like me who preferred college sports over pro will soon abandon the game. What's the difference?

I was never so naive as to put ourselves on such a pedestal that all other programs were lesser due to fake student athletes. There were PSU football players using drugs and cutting academic corners when I was at State. When you've got 100 college students some are bound to be outliers. However the large majority of players I knew were not that different than me- except the getting laid 99.9% of the time by attractive 8-10s mentioned earlier!

Hell- I had Notre Dame Subway alums harass me about us allowing 5th year players back in 86 at our game there- and these guys couldn't spell Notre....

Bennett will become the new poster child for idiocy and fradulent "student" athletes (as opposed to "eligibe" athletes). Cardale Jones' 15 minutes are up : )

Will it matter to fans? We'll see. If it were us with the 2 Nattys and all the negative underpinnings I don't think I'd be too proud. I don't love the fact that the Eagles drafted Jalen Carter, but I don't lose sleep over it because he is just a mercenary. If that's where PSU college sports end up- then count me out.

It is amazing he was in school for 6 years, likely took summer classes like most football players do, and yet still didn’t graduate.

Someone might want to look into how he remained academically eligible for all those years without graduating. 😳
He transferred in...you realize a ton of people go to school for more than 4 years and never graduate right? Hell I know people that have been 3-12 credits short for a decade. People are making this a much bigger deal than it is. Are we pretending all Penn State players graduate?

He transferred in...you realize a ton of people go to school for more than 4 years and never graduate right? Hell I know people that have been 3-12 credits short for a decade. People are making this a much bigger deal than it is. Are we pretending all Penn State players graduate?
lets be clear about some things.

First, he went to GA in 2017. He left when Justin Fields committed to GA. This is the same Justin Fields who is a two-year NFL vet. Can you believe that? He then went to Jones College in 2018. He then went back to GA in 2019. From there, he started in 2021 and 2022. He was drafted in April of 2023 by the NFL.

Keep in mind, he had to have enough credits to be considered a full-time student and, presumably, had to pass those classes. Keep in mind you have to complete 16-course credits with a 2.3 GPA in order to be eligible.

So even if you say he went to college for six years, he'd have had to have 12 x 16 (two semesters for six years and 16 credits per semester) or 192 hours of credit.

To contrast, Will Levis graduated from Penn State in three years with a degree in finance before xfer to Kentucky.

Last edited:
lets be clear about some things.

First, he went to GA in 2017. He left when Justin Fields committed to GA. This is the same Justin Fields who is a two-year NFL vet. Can you believe that? He then went to Jones College in 2018. He then went back to GA in 2019. From there, he started in 2021 and 2022. He was drafted in April of 2023 by the NFL.

Keep in mind, he had to have enough credits to be considered a full-time student and, presumably, had to pass those classes. Keep in mind you have to complete 16-course credits with a 2.3 GPA in order to be eligible.

So even if you say he went to college for six years, he'd have had to have 12 x 16 (two semesters for six years and 16 credits per semester) or 192 hours of credit.

To contrast, Will Levis graduated from Penn State in three years with a degree in finance before xfer to Kentucky.

Not sure what Levis has to do with this. That's great that he was so dedicated to school.
Where are you getting 16 credits from? I think I consistently took 15 and 12 was full time so you could drop a class. Read the link you provided again. It doesn't state 16 credit a semester in college. You're confusing core course with credits.

Edit--here's what is required--18 credits a YEAR not 16 a semester
To maintain eligibility for competition and athletic financial aid, each student-athlete must meet several institutional, conference, and NCAA requirements. In general, student athletes must:

• Be enrolled and attending as a full-time student each semester (12+ credits for undergraduate; 9 credits + for graduate)
  • Each semester, you must earn 6 credits of coursework that apply to graduation in your designated academic program (Football Only: nine hours completed during the Fall term)
  • Earn a minimum of 24 hours of coursework in your academic program during the first year in order to be eligible to compete the next year
  • Earn at least 18 hours in your major every academic year, (fall and spring semesters)
  • Declare a major before the third year or 5th semester of your enrollment in college
  • Make sure all of your courses are applicable toward your academic degree program in order to be used for eligibility purposes
  • Beginning with your 3rd semester of enrollment, you must meet GPA requirements as indicated below. Your GPA will be checked at the beginning of each term. Beginning with your 5th semester of enrollment, you must meet percentage-of-degree requirements as noted in the chart below as well.

Last edited:
Is a kid who is at university for 7 years and doesn't graduate really a student?
The terminology is the key..."eligible athlete" vs "student athlete" are not the same thing. A lot of these 5 transfer hoops guys have a collection of misaligned classes they may have taken and passed but aren't contributing to a degree.

Chicken and egg. Like anything else in America half of us probably love Bennett for his on field presence/success and willingness to buck the system. The other half thinks that he is a spoiled athlete asshat pretender who has done a number of stupid things.

I don't know that much about him...but the bender in Dallas seemed pretty dumb. Dude coulda gotten plugged. Not getting some sort of degree seems almost impossible. I can see myself rooting against him from here on. The "underdog walk-on" has grown into an irresponsible man...at least regarding managing his education and maintaining socially acceptable behavior prior to the draft.

We'll see. Glad he is not my kid nor on a team I root for.

Reactions: psu00 and bdgan
Is a kid who is at university for 7 years and doesn't graduate really a student?
To be accurate, IIRC he went to Georgia for start, transferred to a community college, then to a small school, then back to Georgia. (Check for accuracy).

And when you transfer from one school to another you usually lose credits.

Reactions: bdgan
The terminology is the key..."eligible athlete" vs "student athlete" are not the same thing. A lot of these 5 transfer hoops guys have a collection of misaligned classes they may have taken and passed but aren't contributing to a degree.

Chicken and egg. Like anything else in America half of us probably love Bennett for his on field presence/success and willingness to buck the system. The other half thinks that he is a spoiled athlete asshat pretender who has done a number of stupid things.

I don't know that much about him...but the bender in Dallas seemed pretty dumb. Dude coulda gotten plugged. Not getting some sort of degree seems almost impossible. I can see myself rooting against him from here on. The "underdog walk-on" has grown into an irresponsible man...at least regarding managing his education and maintaining socially acceptable behavior prior to the draft.

We'll see. Glad he is not my kid nor on a team I root for.
But--if he was the QB at Penn State and had the success he did I doubt anyone would care that he didn't graduate. Let's be real.

I do agree that the "good story" is fading fast though.

To be accurate, IIRC he went to Georgia for start, transferred to a community college, then to a small school, then back to Georgia. (Check for accuracy).

Correct--and since they only need 18 hour a year it's not shocking he didn't graduate. Most of likely took 15-18 a semester and that was his academic year.

And again, I have no idea where "7 years" comes from, since he was in school for 6 years across the different colleges (and really, more like 5.5 years, since I highly doubt he took classes this spring).

Not sure what Levis has to do with this. That's great that he was so dedicated to school.
Where are you getting 16 credits from? I think I consistently took 15 and 12 was full time so you could drop a class. Read the link you provided again. It doesn't state 16 credit a semester in college. You're confusing core course with credits.

Edit--here's what is required--18 credits a YEAR not 16 a semester
To maintain eligibility for competition and athletic financial aid, each student-athlete must meet several institutional, conference, and NCAA requirements. In general, student athletes must:

• Be enrolled and attending as a full-time student each semester (12+ credits for undergraduate; 9 credits + for graduate)
  • Each semester, you must earn 6 credits of coursework that apply to graduation in your designated academic program (Football Only: nine hours completed during the Fall term)
  • Earn a minimum of 24 hours of coursework in your academic program during the first year in order to be eligible to compete the next year
  • Earn at least 18 hours in your major every academic year, (fall and spring semesters)
  • Declare a major before the third year or 5th semester of your enrollment in college
  • Make sure all of your courses are applicable toward your academic degree program in order to be used for eligibility purposes
  • Beginning with your 3rd semester of enrollment, you must meet GPA requirements as indicated below. Your GPA will be checked at the beginning of each term. Beginning with your 5th semester of enrollment, you must meet percentage-of-degree requirements as noted in the chart below as well.
Just stating that, with most players staying on campus and going to summer school plus the load that is required. for spring and fall semesters and one should be graduated in at least five years. (unless games are being played). there are lots of kids graduating in three years.

Reactions: psu00
Just stating that, with most players staying on campus and going to summer school plus the load that is required. for spring and fall semesters and one should be graduated in at least five years. (unless games are being played). there are lots of kids graduating in three years.
But it's not required--they have to make the requirements which you misstated.

But it's not required--they have to make the requirements which you misstated.
I linked the NCAA requirements. Whatever.

I have no idea how you can go through six years of college and NOT get a degree unless a) you are trying not to or b) hilarity ensues.

Reactions: psu00
I linked the NCAA requirements. Whatever.

I have no idea how you can go through six years of college and NOT get a degree unless a) you are trying not to or b) hilarity ensues.
You didn't--you posted what was eligible to get in. Read my post again. Those are the requirements to be eligible as an incoming freshman not what you stated. You confused 16 core classes with credits. You likely didn't take 16 credits a semester.

Georgia requires 120 credits for graduation. Taking 16 a year would be 7.5 years plus he went elsewhere so not all of it may have transferred.

I understand people hate what college athletics has become but this isn't tough to grasp. The reality is not all athletes, including those at Penn State, care about school. It's just a requirement to play the sport they want.

But--if he was the QB at Penn State and had the success he did I doubt anyone would care that he didn't graduate. Let's be real.
I disagree. PSU fans used to take pride in the fact that PSU/Joe did it the right way. It was called the Grand Experiment. PSU fans were often critical of SEC schools that didn't have the same academic expectations.

I still cheer for PSU but I don't have the same level of pride I used to have. I don't think I'm alone.

I disagree. PSU fans used to take pride in the fact that PSU/Joe did it the right way. It was called the Grand Experiment. PSU fans were often critical of SEC schools that didn't have the same academic expectations.

I still cheer for PSU but I don't have the same level of pride I used to have. I don't think I'm alone.
Let's not pretend even under Paterno everyone graduated.

The holier than thou stuff is also why people attacked (still attack) Joe following the situation with Sandusky

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT