ADVERTISEMENT

Malik McClain to Penn State

That's great!

Anyone know why he is leaving FSU? I mean, he seems like a pretty talented guy and FSU has a great QB coming back. Looks like he was one of the top six WRs on FSU's depth chart for their bowl game.

That's great!

Anyone know why he is leaving FSU? I mean, he seems like a pretty talented guy and FSU has a great QB coming back. Looks like he was one of the top six WRs on FSU's depth chart for their bowl game.
Hoe many if those are leaving? If he's not top 3 he's likely going to portal.

That's great!

Only info I could find in my reading was that FSU pulled 2 starters in the portal last year and they are both returning.

Reactions: Obliviax
Only info I could find in my reading was that FSU pulled 2 starters in the portal last year and they are both returning.
According to FSU's stats he played in all 13 games catching 17 balls for 206 or a 12.1 YPC average. In 2021 he had 16 catches for 190 yards or a 11.9 YPC average in 12 games.

That's great!

He’s got lots of potential but fell down the depth chart due to portal guys they brought in. FSU media/fans say on average they hate to see him go. Seems like a good kid

I think the thing here is this: We already know what Dottin and Meiga bring to the table. Not much and probably an open door to the portal. Cephus and McClain are very interesting prospects because of their size and their potential. If these guys dtep up we may be able to shift KLS to PW spot in the slot and thus give us a great WR rotation.

I know y'all hate the name but IMO little Cliff gonna go off next year.

Here are my top WR next year: McClain, Cephus, KLS, Wallace, Cliff, Saunders. Omari Evans is a question mark to me. He got a lot of run early in the season but never got more, which you think he would.

Reactions: marshall23
FWIW, McClain hasn’t announced anything yet. I think we’ve learned these things are not over until all the I’s are dotted and T’s are crossed. But even then maybe not (i.e. Carter).

• Wow
Reactions: lazydave841
FWIW, McClain hasn’t announced anything yet. I think we’ve learned these things are not over until all the I’s are dotted and T’s are crossed. But even then maybe not (i.e. Carter).
Thats what I was thinking. Seems Vukcovcan maybe is jumping the gun. Nobody is seemly calling his sources out. Just taking it and running.

I think the thing here is this: We already know what Dottin and Meiga bring to the table. Not much and probably an open door to the portal. Cephus and McClain are very interesting prospects because of their size and their potential. If these guys dtep up we may be able to shift KLS to PW spot in the slot and thus give us a great WR rotation.

Here are my top WR next year: McClain, Cephus, KLS, Wallace, Cliff, Saunders. Omari Evans is a question mark to me. He got a lot of run early in the season but never got more, which you think he would.
WR to me, are a little like QBs. They need to have some basic physical skills but in the end, really take off due to intangibles. I was watching TB with TB last night and it was clear that he was not on the same page as his two, normally, great WRs. Reading the defense, choosing the right route option, running a predictable route, finding the soft spot in the zone, making great moves, having great hands, and timing with the QB are all more important than 40 time or size. So like QBs, you find guys that are physically able and stockpile them not knowing who will step up with the intangibles. Of course, always great to be 6-4 and run a 4-4 forty.

Reactions: CltDon1
Similar experience level to Wallace (RS in '21, 19 rec 274 yards).

Spring game will be interesting.
yep but I don't think Cephas will be in the spring game as he has to graduate Kent so doubt he'll participate in spring drills.

BTW, lets hope we have a spring game that is more than flag football exhibition this year.

Reactions: lazydave841
yep but I don't think Cephas will be in the spring game as he has to graduate Kent so doubt he'll participate in spring drills.

BTW, lets hope we have a spring game that is more than flag football exhibition this year.
NO, lets go through some drills, cook out, drink some beer, etc.....a Spring game has no benefits, not one.

If they do have a full spring game I hope it is between 3's and 4's.

Cephas will not be in the spring game. Once he graduates from Kent State, he’ll make the move. Believe he can have Penn State’s playbook however as long as he’s not associated with Kent State any longer.

And it doesn’t start with ten field goal/xpoint attempts!

Cephas seems like Tinsley to me: he's probably got a level of experience that he will take a starting spot once he arrives. Even without a spring at PSU.

KLS probably has a spot wrapped up barring injury or drops. I'd like to see him develop his speed this off season a la Dotson.

I think the staff wants to run more 3 and 4 WR sets with Allar. Not that they don't like our 2 TE sets, but diversity is tougher to defend.

With a room full of youth, it's untelling who could emerge.

Cephas seems like Tinsley to me: he's probably got a level of experience that he will take a starting spot once he arrives. Even without a spring at PSU.

KLS probably has a spot wrapped up barring injury or drops. I'd like to see him develop his speed this off season a la Dotson.

I think the staff wants to run more 3 and 4 WR sets with Allar. Not that they don't like our 2 TE sets, but diversity is tougher to defend.

With a room full of youth, it's untelling who could emerge.
Yeah, next year’s O is gonna be crazy fun. Full spread, uptempo, power I, T formation, two tight end power formations, Never know what to expect on any down!

That's great!

He was a 4* recruit and 6'4" sounds nice. He only caught 17 passes for 206 yds last year so I hope he's ready to take a big step up this fall.

This brings us to 13 WRs which seems like a lot. Something tells me that we'll see at least one existing WR transfer out after they see where they stand at the end of spring practice.

Last edited:
Yeah, next year’s O is gonna be crazy fun. Full spread, uptempo, power I, T formation, two tight end power formations, Never know what to expect on any down!
Agreed. Assuming no major portal defections, my only major concern is DT.

I agree!

So, I can't believe nobody has posted this yet:

John McClain

giphy.gif

That's great!

Appears to be caught in a numbers game per multiple “internet coaches” on the FSU sites. No bashing, no bad hands comments, FSU has 3-4 WR clones just like him. Feeling is that he has a high ceiling and folks disappointed to see him go, all wishing him the best. Legit 4.5 40 speed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT