ADVERTISEMENT

Match Notes for Minny and Nebraska Duals

Lizak not listed for UMinn. Just an error?
Quite a few differences from their starting 10 they sent to the Scuffle. Another is Wanzek down at 165.

Maybe Lizak at 125, Pfarr at 174, and Wanzek at 165??

Berger tweeted Terry Brands and Mike Kemerer about the Midlands and future dual.

Any possibility young Mr. Berger has tweeted Cael or Jason about this weekends match?

Reactions: diggerpup and Grass
Berger tweeted Terry Brands and Mike Kemerer about the Midlands and future dual.

Any possibility young Mr. Berger has tweeted Cael or Jason about this weekends match?
If he does win the next one, the post-match fireworks might be better than the match.

once again, from GoPSUsports.com, can be accessed at THIS LINK.

Cortez, Nolf, Cutch, and Nevills will face ranked wrestlers (note: this week's rankings not yet out) in both duals.

enjoy
There will not be a Dual Impact Index (newly shorn of its presenting sponsor) update this week. Will be run again on Monday, January 9th.

I knew Nebraska was formidable this year.

But this is the year they need to do it: 6 senior is the starting lineup, and 4 of them in the Top 10.

-----

Nolf has #10 Short and #5 Berger.

It'll be fun to watch the gap between #1 and those two high-quality wrestlers.

Nolf beat Berger at Dapper Dan 6-3. I'm not certain if they wrestled other times.

This was a very dominate win for Nolf. IIRC, Berger scored a reversal in the last 10 seconds of the third period when Nolf was trying to turn Berger. Otherwise, it was a very one sided match and not reflective of the score.

I doubt it. Nolf mopped the mat with him last year and it's probably going to be even worse this year, if that's even possible.

Reactions: diggerpup
VS MN:
125- Suriano dec Lizak (3-0 PSU) Just don't pick bottom.
133- McKee maj Carpenter (4-3 MN) McKee isn't a bonus machine, but he's funky enough to put Carpenter into some bad scoring positions.
141- Thorn dec Gulibon (7-3 MN) Jimmy has a habit of losing close matches to tough competitors. It helps that Thorn doesn't look his normal self quite yet.
149- Retherford pins Stroker/Brolsma (9-7 PSU) Zain is in another class, knows the team probably needs bonus, and Stroker just got stuck in a headlock at Scuffle for pete's sake.
157- Nolf techs Short (14-7 PSU) Short has decent defense, but it isn't enough to hang with Nolf's motor or attack-rate.
165- Joseph dec Wanzek (17-7 PSU) Wanzek could legitimately win this match, but I think that if Vincenzo fires off enough attacks, he'll overwhelm Wanzek. In this dual, the shake-up in MN's lineup might actually hurt them because I think Wanzek probably beats Morelli/Rasheed.
174- Morelli dec Pfarr (20-7 PSU) Morelli could bonus, here, but I think Pfarr will have his tactics in order.
184- Nickal maj Steveson (24-7 PSU) Nickal could tech, but I think he'd have to really pour it on at the end. Steveson holds good position and he's learning to score, but Nickal is probably out of his class right now.
197- Pfarr dec McCutcheon (24-10 PSU) Pfarr has shown how close he is to the top-flight of 197, so this could be a good test. In all honesty, Pfarr could be capable of a major, here, but neither guy will be too committed to attacking very often, and Pfarr struggles to score unless the other guy initiates it (with the upper-level type guys).
285- Nevills dec Kroells (27-10 PSU) Kroells' offense is struggling right now, and Nevills has wins over some high level guys this year. It will be a close, hard-fought match, but I'm taking Nevills to stay undefeated.
Final- 27-10 PSU

Reactions: dropster45
Has it been stated anywhere that Cortez isn't wrestling this weekend? I see some people are assuming Carpenter is going

Has it been stated anywhere that Cortez isn't wrestling this weekend? I see some people are assuming Carpenter is going

Has not been stated.

Perhaps CS will comment on 133 tonight on the Coaches Show. If any of you listen to the show, please post a summary.

Reactions: pish69
From Jim Carlson yesterday:

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/01/cael_sanderson_not_overly_conc.html

WHERE'S CORTEZ? Sanderson said 133-pound starter Jered Cortez "probably" won't wrestle this weekend. He suffered an injury during the Dec. 4 match against Lehigh and likely will be replaced by George Carpenter (1-0).

"He's been back in the room wrestling,'' Sanderson said about Cortez. "There's a chance he'll wrestle this weekend but probably not. We're not going to rush him back into anything because we need him at the end. It's more of a day-to-day feel with him; we'll figure that out.

"He has to be confident and eager and champing at the bit to get back to the mat, too. His conditioning is great; it's just making sure his confidence is there in all positions he'll get put in.

"Obviously, you want to have him in the lineup but you have to think the big picture here.''

Cael said tonight on the coaches show that Rasheed probably wouldnt have wrestled in Reno due to his knee infection. Something to watch.

Cael said tonight on the coaches show that Rasheed probably wouldnt have wrestled in Reno due to his knee infection. Something to watch.

that was known/announced before Reno. The long break since the last dual may have been good for Rasheed, at least for his recovery from the infection.

CS doesn't give away a lot in the coaches show, and he wasn't on it all that long (Zain followed CS, and he was followed by one of the ice hockey coaches).

He did mention that Cassar was cleared to practice on Monday. He went on to say that he's talented, but has been out for basically 2 years. He followed it up with a comment about how he might get involved this year, or perhaps not, which would mean he'd have 3 years left. (Believe it was wrapped around a comment about making decisions which are good for the wrestler, and also good for the team.)

Ironhead and CS talked a bit about how the Bo - Dudley matchup should be a good one. They also talked about many of the other intriguing/challenging matches that some of the PSU wrestlers will be facing this weekend. CS is rather low key on the radio, but I was struck by how aware he seemed to be about how various guys on other teams had done at the Scuffle or at Midlands.

that was known/announced before Reno. The long break since the last dual may have been good for Rasheed, at least for his recovery from the infection..

the injury yes, the infection yes, but I dont remember him saying Rasheed wouldnt have wrestled in Reno because of it. If he did I guess your correction was warranted. fingers crossed......

that was known/announced before Reno. The long break since the last dual may have been good for Rasheed, at least for his recovery from the infection.

CS doesn't give away a lot in the coaches show, and he wasn't on it all that long (Zain followed CS, and he was followed by one of the ice hockey coaches).

He did mention that Cassar was cleared to practice on Monday. He went on to say that he's talented, but has been out for basically 2 years. He followed it up with a comment about how he might get involved this year, or perhaps not, which would mean he'd have 3 years left. (Believe it was wrapped around a comment about making decisions which are good for the wrestler, and also good for the team.)

Ironhead and CS talked a bit about how the Bo - Dudley matchup should be a good one. They also talked about many of the other intriguing/challenging matches that some of the PSU wrestlers will be facing this weekend. CS is rather low key on the radio, but I was struck by how aware he seemed to be about how various guys on other teams had done at the Scuffle or at Midlands.

That was some interesting info on Cassar. I had wondered if he was a 6th year candidate, but wasn't sure since he wasn't enrolled last year. I'd sit him if I thought I could get 3 more years out of him. Stout hasn't been good at all and AJ Nevills has wrestled heavyweight.

Reactions: Maddog
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT