ADVERTISEMENT

MBB #44 KenPom rank 3-1-19

All depends on resumes to separate them so that they aren’t equal. It’s how it’s been for 30 years, but you don’t get it (or want to believe it).

The funny thing is that if you asked Syracuse fans, they’ll tell you how often the committee screws them.

Those “resumes” are going to be heavily based on KenPoms mathematical computations.

I think the NET rankings and Quad records are supposed to be the key metrics, though other information will also be available to the committee of course.

Penn State is 50th in the NET rankings as of this morning (unofficially) per

https://herosports.com/ncaa-tournament/college-basketball-net-rankings-ahah

For purposes of comparisons, the ESPN college hoops version of gameday discussed Indiana as a bubble team. The question was would they be in or out if they win their last three regular season games. Out of the three "experts", two said "out" and one said "in". For purposes of comparison:
IND: NET = 58 record = 14-14 (5-12) KenPom = 49
PSU: NET = 50 record = 12-16 (5-12) KenPom = 44
So I think if it looks grim for Indiana, it looks grim for PSU. The same criticism "too many loses" applies. I think penn state is getting some respect as a good team with a crappy record, for what that's worth.

For us blind optimists, the key is to get us out of the bottom 4 in the B1G, so we can dream of a run in the conference tournament (I think winning five in a row is just impossible).

How many times in your life did you choose your friends over trying to escape poverty?

Chances are he is not going to escape poverty without having his degree. car wash and hamburger flippers are a dime a dozen. and what he makes in europe will only go so far that is, if he manages his money correctly.

I hoped for much more from Watkins. He was an offensive threat on the pick and roll with Carr last year. The absence of a proven PG this year put an end to that and Watkins hasn't shown an ability to score with his back to the basket. Surprisingly his rebounding is also down. One good thing is that he is doing a better job keeping his feet on the ground on defense.

His rebounding isn't down. What is down is the number of minutes that he's playing per game, perhaps because his medications are limiting his endurance.

Last year he averaged about 26 mpg, this year he's averaging about 21. That's down almost 20%.
He averaged 8.9 rpg last year. This year he's averaging 7.1. That's also works out to about 20%. In other words, his drop in rebound numbers can be attributed entirely to his drop in minutes.

He's still one of the best defensive rebounders in the country. Last year he was ranked 6th in the country in defensive rebounding percentage (which adjusts for the minutes that you play). This year he's 5th in the country. There's nothing wrong with that part of his game.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Chances are he is not going to escape poverty without having his degree. car wash and hamburger flippers are a dime a dozen. and what he makes in europe will only go so far that is, if he manages his money correctly.
He can make a career out of playing in Europe. It’s not like he can only play for a couple years then he has to come back and flip burgers. There was a player that went to my son’s high school who’s been playing in Europe for almost 10 years now and doing quite well.

When it comes to “bracketology”, no “insider” will tell you name brand matters, because it doesn’t. Shaka never had another team on the bubble, so their “brand” never came into play.

Again, the most curious selections of the past 20 years have been Air Force, New Mexico, and then probably USC. How does that fit with “numbers have to be so obvious to take the lesser team”?
Name brand is a factor, specifically when the committee seeds the blue bloods and how they try to clear their path for meetings for ratings and to push them through as far as possible. It's blatantly obvious every year. Though I agree, with bubble teams I don't think they care one way or another. If anything, they'll keep the better one out to protect their Duke Kansas Kentucky.

Name brand is a factor, specifically when the committee seeds the blue bloods and how they try to clear their path for meetings for ratings and to push them through as far as possible. It's blatantly obvious every year. Though I agree, with bubble teams I don't think they care one way or another. If anything, they'll keep the better one out to protect their Duke Kansas Kentucky.
Examples? When I hear people criticize it, it's usually because they don't understand how the seeding occurs and the bracket is filled.

When it comes to “bracketology”, no “insider” will tell you name brand matters, because it doesn’t. Shaka never had another team on the bubble, so their “brand” never came into play.

Again, the most curious selections of the past 20 years have been Air Force, New Mexico, and then probably USC. How does that fit with “numbers have to be so obvious to take the lesser team”?

I don think you get my point. They knew their cache went up with that run. They may not have needed it those next few year but IF they did, they were now more likely to get the benefit

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT