ADVERTISEMENT

Midlands/Soldier Salute

Honestly it’s a bit sad what the “playoffication” effect has done to wrestling.

I know guys want to be healthy come March and are now on a rep count bur some of these Midlands fields are horrendous. Teams are going but just sitting out a number of their best guys.

Looking through the brackets, it appears there is one non-Iowa wrestler ranked in the top 20.

The Hawks got eight #1 seeds.

I guess most of the better programs have forgiven the Midlands for canceling last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjmirv
There is one top 30 and eight top 15 wrestlers not entered in a single holiday individual tournament, all wearing Blue and White. Maybe other teams are catching on

It seems to have been a thing for quite a few years. Iowa only wrestles the best competition when they think they can crush them. Their schedule always seems weak except for their dual schedule. I do not know if it is a constant attempt to build the guys confidence, or they think their room is good enough to build better wrestlers or what it is.
I do get the feeling that they want to promote the idea that they are invincible and do not want to take the chance of being shown to be mere mortals. Otherwise, they wrestle you guys and return the favor of you guys dealing them in Carver that one year.
Unlike the gauntlet that Penn St has gone through. Lock Haven, Rider, Lehigh, Oregon St, Central Michigan, North Carolina and Iowa St. Why no PSU guys at the Scuffle or Midlands?

Because when you have won nearly every team championship since your arrival, you really don’t have to entertain questions like that. Conversely, the rest of the pack, Iowa included, must be more transparent due to their performance during this same period.

Of the available D1 schools in Iowa, the Hawkeyes wrestle 1/2 of them, can PSU say that about PA?

Because when you have won nearly every team championship since your arrival, you really don’t have to entertain questions like that. Conversely, the rest of the pack, Iowa included, must be more transparent due to their performance during this same period.
Now I get it. Thanks for the clarification.

Now I get it. Thanks for the clarification.
season 6 friends GIF

Of the available D1 schools in Iowa, the Hawkeyes wrestle 1/2 of them, can PSU say that about PA?
So, PSU has 16 competition dates, and you want them to use 5 every year to wrestle only PA programs? The excitement over Franklin and Marshall and Bloomsburg would be palpable! After you add in the B1G schedule that doesn't leave much wiggle room for other opponents. Then the complaint will be we don't wrestle out of state/out of B1G enough. Much easier to schedule half the state when you only have 3 schools.

Unlike the gauntlet that Penn St has gone through. Lock Haven, Rider, Lehigh, Oregon St, Central Michigan, North Carolina and Iowa St. Why no PSU guys at the Scuffle or Midlands?

Rider, Lehigh, North Carolina and Iowa State are all ranked. Lock Haven is often ranked. I wouldn’t sleep on Oregon State.

Now let’s talk about California Baptist, Sacred Heart, Buffalo and Chattanooga.

So the Soldier Statue tournament is basically an intrasquad meet for the Hawkeyes?
Famous Brands quote, “The challenge is the same every year. The battle is in-state. The battle is the Big 10 Conference. The battle is national. The battle is planet Earth. And if they find life out there, then the battle will be universal."
“The battle is intrasquad.”
Nation, Earth, and Universe ducked. Didn’t want to go to carver 3x before they could get a home match.

So, PSU has 16 competition dates, and you want them to use 5 every year to wrestle only PA programs? The excitement over Franklin and Marshall and Bloomsburg would be palpable! After you add in the B1G schedule that doesn't leave much wiggle room for other opponents. Then the complaint will be we don't wrestle out of state/out of B1G enough. Much easier to schedule half the state when you only have 3 schools.
Never said or implied that. You guys take this shit way too serious

As far as the starters go, PSU wrestles at Wisconsin on January 6th. Most likely Cael does not want his guys going into B1G competition coming off a tournament where they wrestled 4 to 7 matches less than a week ago. Makes sense. Oddly, PSU is off until the 20th after the Wisconsin match. Had Wisconsin been January 13th, good chance some PSU starters are at the Scuffle.

Famous Brands quote, “The challenge is the same every year. The battle is in-state. The battle is the Big 10 Conference. The battle is national. The battle is planet Earth. And if they find life out there, then the battle will be universal."
“The battle is intrasquad.”
Nation, Earth, and Universe ducked. Didn’t want to go to carver 3x before they could get a home match.
Iowa is always good to go battle, just so they don't have to do battle in State College, PA. That's just too hard and unfair.

18 trips to State College and Iowa is 12-5-1. It is unfair.
Hey, it isn't me refusing to bring my team to State College unless I am forced to. That would be Coach Brands, and your numbers only enhance the silliness of Brands' fear.

Since you are already asking him for someone else why he isn't sending his kids to one of the traditional holiday tournaments, can you also ask him for me why he is so afraid of competition in State College?

Reactions: Split shot
Hey, it isn't me refusing to bring my team to State College unless I am forced to. That would be Coach Brands, and your numbers only enhance the silliness of Brands' fear.

Since you are already asking him for someone else why he isn't sending his kids to one of the traditional holiday tournaments, can you also ask him for me why he is so afraid of competition in State College?
He said he will be there on Jan 27

My buddy teaches at Mt Pleasant. For what a 9th graders word is worth, Pitzer’s little brother said if Dayton has a “good tournament” the shirt is coming off.
Beating Schultz probably qualifies as having a good tournament.

Iowa is always good to go battle, just so they don't have to do battle in State College, PA. That's just too hard and unfair.
so true the brands brothers only like Penn State matches in iowa or they try and cancel or change the rotation!LOL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT