ADVERTISEMENT

Midlands/Soldier Salute

I think I heard earlier in the year that he was up to 225 but they want him to be around 240-245.
In the Lehigh match he appeared (eye test?) bigger than HS, but yeah 245 of lean muscle makes him a more than a handful foe everybody but maybe 2 other Hwts.

First year tourneys don’t bring in top teams year one. Let’s give it a few years and see what happens.
I generally like you and don’t mean to give you a hard time, but . . .

. . . Maybe if TnT weren’t absolute friggin’ a-holes to basically every opposing staff and team on the other side of the mat during competition, maybe some would participate in an elective Hawk-hosted event.

I don’t see this thing growing on the men’s side of the equation anytime soon. IMO, this is actually intended to be a jumpstart for the women’s program to lead an annual national attraction for women’s wrestling, and the boys are putting in some time now to be supportive (while TnT simultaneously work off their anger about Midlands). I don’t see competitive D1 teams doing TnT any favors for a while.

Iowa should be back at Midlands in a couple years or so . . . which will be a convenient time for the program to market how it “saved” a classic tourney from extinction.

Wrestling fans who act like the frequent non-participation isn’t a problem for the sport are just burying their heads in the sand.
It’s a problem for fans, and few others. Until wrestling is actually a revenue sport, whether we watch or not is a non-issue for wrestling.

It’s a niche sport, and a handful of fans opting to do something else with their day is inconsequential. Whether these tournaments had every expected wrestler show up had little bearing on how many fans were going to buy a ticket. And those who subscribe to the streaming services were probably already subscribed. How many (if any) of those subscription dollars actually go to the sport of wrestling, anyway?

Dead horse is still dead.

When Nationals can’t sell out because too many are miffed about non-participation during the regular season, then maybe we’ll have something to talk about regarding non-participation and non-growth of the sport. Poor participation during holiday tourneys isn’t going to move the needle, though.

I generally like you and don’t mean to give you a hard time, but . . .

. . . Maybe if TnT weren’t absolute friggin’ a-holes to basically every opposing staff and team on the other side of the mat during competition, maybe some would participate in an elective Hawk-hosted event.

I don’t see this thing growing on the men’s side of the equation anytime soon. IMO, this is actually intended to be a jumpstart for the women’s program to lead an annual national attraction for women’s wrestling, and the boys are putting in some time now to be supportive (while TnT simultaneously work off their anger about Midlands). I don’t see competitive D1 teams doing TnT any favors for a while.

Iowa should be back at Midlands in a couple years or so . . . which will be a convenient time for the program to market how it “saved” a classic tourney from extinction.
For women, I get it.

For men, Iowa should've taken their kudos for a one-year save of Midlands, and used that goodwill to book their tourney at some other time that does not directly conflict with Midlands.

Pitzer gonna beat Schultz tonight.

6c476348d30a592f6c15414a2aa6ba4543981863.gif

Schultz just got beat 4-0 by Pitt's Pitzer. He gave up a ton of riding time, a reversal and I believe a stall point on bottom. I blame Zeke, there's no way he should have been anywhere near D1 competition, he could have wrestled a few opens and been a #1 seed at NCAAs.

Pitzer over Schultz 4-0.

I know we like to poo poo Schultz but he looks significantly worse this year than last year. It’s very weird. Still a good win for Pitzer.
Something has to be wrong with Schultz.

Same dude who beat Adam Coon now can't score one point on an undersized true freshman?

And it's gotta be fairly recent, since he majored Elam earlier in November.

But good win for Pitzer. Interested to see how he does this year.

Schultz just got beat 4-0 by Pitt's Pitzer. He gave up a ton of riding time, a reversal and I believe a stall point on bottom. I blame Zeke, there's no way he should have been anywhere near D1 competition, he could have wrestled a few opens and been a #1 seed at NCAAs.
You blame Zeke for Schultz being 'a little' over rated and winning most of the time against vastly inferior competition?

He is a physical monster, but you can't win it all with just a size advantage, and there is more to collegiate wrestling than protecting your seed in December.

The kid needs to see where he stands and make adjustments. It now looks like he has a list of things to address.

He wasn't better last year, he was better protected. Take that behavior to another sport. I think if he commits himself, works hard he could be a finalist, but this is Kerk's year. Regardless of seed Kerk will beat him in the semis or finals.

You blame Zeke for Schultz being 'a little' over rated and winning most of the time against vastly inferior competition?

He is a physical monster, but you can't win it all with just a size advantage, and there is more to collegiate wrestling than protecting your seed in December.

The kid needs to see where he stands and make adjustments. It now looks like he has a list of things to address.

He wasn't better last year, he was better protected. Take that behavior to another sport. I think if he commits himself, works hard he could be a finalist, but this is Kerk's year. Regardless of seed Kerk will beat him in the semis or finals.
I think you missed something with his post. Lol

I just don't get the "better protected" angle in light of the fact that Schultz beat Jordan Wood 2x last year.

Maybe Zeke should've seen Pitzer as a bigger threat than Wood or Elam?

Though, reportedly, Parris was wrestling injured for much of last season.

I actually think a healthy Parris is Kerk’s biggest competition despite how Kerk handled him last year. I think Kerk has clearly moved beyond Cassioppi and Schultz has looked pretty bad thus far.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
Cole Matthews with a 4-3 win over a D3 wrestler, a 1-0 win over Daniel Coles of Princeton and then 2-1 over Joey Olivieri. He's very good (obviously can ride for days and hard to takedown) but ... quite a bit of fire playing.

Cole Matthews with a 4-3 win over a D3 wrestler, a 1-0 win over Daniel Coles of Princeton and then 2-1 over Joey Olivieri. He's very good (obviously can ride for days and hard to takedown) but ... quite a bit of fire playing.
It’s honestly remarkable

Reactions: mcpat
I truly hope the seeding committee takes a stand this year. Severely docking guys who avoided high end competition, wrestled only a handful of matches ect. I know they won’t. Well, unless it’s Nolf sitting out a match at BIG10s with a torn up knee. Or Kemerer that same bracket. You know, actual warriors with legitimate injuries. That’s the guys they punish.

Unfortunately it's pretty established, regular season ducks don't come with penalties but postseason tournament MFFs do. Committee isn't watching and analyzing every regular season situation bottom line.

4 points for Matthew's is an offensive explosion.

Reactions: goldenanimal
Speaking of Pitzer… why hasn’t Feldman wrestled any matches yet?

Unfortunately it's pretty established, regular season ducks don't come with penalties but postseason tournament MFFs do. Committee isn't watching and analyzing every regular season situation bottom line.
this 100%.

Pitzer over Schultz 4-0.

I know we like to poo poo Schultz but he looks significantly worse this year than last year. It’s very weird. Still a good win for Pitzer.
Pitt's future at the upperweights looks very good. Pitzer is undersized as hell but seems to be the real deal at HWT and Mac Stout made the semis at 197 and will be a good replacement for Nino in the next 4. If they can continue keeping all these PA studs in state and developing them they will be very good

Pitt's future
Being (originally) from SE Allegheny County, PA, I would like to see PSU more regularly schedule Pitt (home and away) over two seasons in as many sports as possible, including wrestling. However, I realize limited competition dates, which include fixed lengthy in conference ones, creat a challenge. But at least the baseball team seems to have started doing similar (home and away in-season).

Being (originally) from SE Allegheny County, PA, I would like to see PSU more regularly schedule Pitt (home and away) over two seasons in as many sports as possible, including wrestling. However, I realize limited competition dates, which include fixed lengthy in conference ones, creat a challenge. But at least the baseball team seems to have started doing similar (home and away in-season).
Where in Allegheny Co.?

I hope Pitzer redshirts, slowly puts on a few pounds over the next year or so, and then hits the portal right when Kerk graduates 🤪

Reactions: goldenanimal
Where in Allegheny Co.?
West Mifflin, the North (Vikings) part. This way I can add more compass points to my SE. 😉

Worked at Kennywood back in the day.

WM became just one HS area for my youngest sister's graduation (Titans).

Last edited:
Though, reportedly, Parris was wrestling injured for much of last season.

I actually think a healthy Parris is Kerk’s biggest competition despite how Kerk handled him last year. I think Kerk has clearly moved beyond Cassioppi and Schultz has looked pretty bad thus far.
end of yr most wrestlers have some kind of injuries!

I go back to when there was WM South and had a number of friends who went to South. Grew up close to Jefferson Hospital.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT