ADVERTISEMENT

Narduzzi being called out by Pitt players

Damn Bob! You are killing it!!

Thank God we are good board friends!!

Sez who?! :mad:

Kidding. I speak for my own POV, with no expectations that anyone sees it my way. I generally like any of the posters I don't have on ignore... you included, Glov!

I do hope these discussions are free of any animosity or lingering hard feelings from anyone. I know I'm going to get ripped directly or indirectly by some folks because this is a controversial subject, and that's ok. Good discussions make any day better.

Reactions: TheGLOV

Kidding. I speak for my own POV, with no expectations that anyone sees it my way. I generally like any of the posters I don't have on ignore... you included, Glov!

I do hope these discussions are free of any animosity or lingering hard feelings from anyone. I know I'm going to get ripped directly or indirectly by some folks because this is a controversial subject, and that's ok. Good discussions make any day better.

Bob, you were well spoken sir. I like your post sir. All the best to you.

Yes discussion is good food

Reactions: TFBaum
There were plenty more comments but here are a few. Does this make you guys racists?

Ford is Vontaze Burfict Jr. --- a dirty player who tries to injure others. I think that is why he didn't opt for the draft this year. The pros got scared off. They don't want crazy thugs. -lemonears

Just another reason why Narduzzi can't attract decent recruits. "Come to pitt and you will leave as an illiterate thug without a degree." - lemonears

He is a rock head neanderthal that thinks it cool to have players act like thugs. - sunshinedynomite

I’m sure Tosu will recruit two more thugs who will be arrested in due course. Round and round we go. -bobpsu92

These teams are a bunch of thugs. Time for these bowl games to go. -joebot409

They probably should have been penalized more. They played a thug like game...-mikemauti42

That said....I can't root for Harbaugh or the thugs from MSU. -psu87

There were plenty more comments but here are a few. Does this make you guys racists?

Ford is Vontaze Burfict Jr. --- a dirty player who tries to injure others. I think that is why he didn't opt for the draft this year. The pros got scared off. They don't want crazy thugs. -lemonears

Just another reason why Narduzzi can't attract decent recruits. "Come to pitt and you will leave as an illiterate thug without a degree." - lemonears

He is a rock head neanderthal that thinks it cool to have players act like thugs. - sunshinedynomite

I’m sure Tosu will recruit two more thugs who will be arrested in due course. Round and round we go. -bobpsu92

These teams are a bunch of thugs. Time for these bowl games to go. -joebot409

They probably should have been penalized more. They played a thug like game...-mikemauti42

That said....I can't root for Harbaugh or the thugs from MSU. -psu87

Lol. Major difference between what fans on the internet say and what the highest paid employee at a university says to his teenage students.

Regardless of what anyone here thinks his intentions were, telling HIS OWN players they need to cut their dreadlocks and and that they're thugs for wearing a hoodie is a huge no no in today's climate. If he was coaching at a relevant program, this would be major sports news. An NBA coach, just this past year, quite literally had to resign for using "thugs" in front of his players. If it isn't acceptable to use in front of professional athletes, why would he get a pass at a institute of higher learning?

NArduzZI hasn't been shy about his hatred towards JF and it's no secret why.

Last edited:
Lol. Major difference between what fans on the internet say and what the highest paid employee at a university says to his teenage students.

Regardless of what anyone here thinks his intentions were, telling HIS OWN players they need to cut their dreadlocks and and that they're thugs for wearing a hoodie is a huge no no in today's climate. If he was coaching at a relevant program, this would be major sports news. An NBA coach, just this past year, quite literally had to resign for using "thugs" in front of his players. If it isn't acceptable to use in front of professional athletes, why would he get a pass at a institute of higher learning?

NArduzZI hasn't been shy about his hatred towards JF and it's no secret why.
Look, call him dumb, hate him or whatever, however, Joe told one of my roommates to stop stop wearing his holey jeans, so pick your battles!

Look, call him dumb, hate him or whatever, however, Joe told one of my roommates to stop stop wearing his holey jeans, so pick your battles!

I don't care what Joe said. I’m talking about what Naruzzi is saying in 2020.

Look at how much negative media attention the Sutherland letter received. That was a letter written by an old guy who has no interaction with the athletes otherwise. This is a coach saying it to his players. It doesn’t matter what you or I think. It isn’t acceptable in the current climate. That isn’t debatable. Beilein would have gotten away with what he said 20-30 years ago too.

Additionally, Pitt, according to their fans, is the “big city” school that is a symbol of inclusion and this shouldn’t be happening there.

Last edited:
I don't care what Joe said. I’m talking about what Naruzzi is saying in 2020.

Look at how much negative media attention the Sutherland letter received. That was a letter written by an old guy who has no interaction with the athletes otherwise. This is a coach saying it to his players. It doesn’t matter what you or I think. It isn’t acceptable in the current climate. That isn’t debatable. Beilein would have gotten away with what he said 20-30 years ago too.

Additionally, Pitt, according to their fans is the “big city” school that is a symbol of inclusion and this shouldn’t be happening there.
If I follow your logic then Pitt, Miami USC and UCLA should have no rules. And then you can call players on those teams criminals etc. Right. Only schools like Alabama don’t have coaches trying to correct their players because they only listen to country. Rap bad

Last edited:
Pejorative words and terms get thrown around all too easily imo.
Boy I agree with you. I like coming over here and seeing what is being discussed. We had a very good conversation going on and then ...boom. I love the Navy Army game because as a former midshipmen I can always smile when some monkey dresser talks to me but it is over.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I can tell you for a fact that at least one kid on the team has talked to teammates about possibly quitting. I will not say anything more, but it is absolutely true.

Reactions: PSUoh90
I can tell you for a fact that at least one kid on the team has talked to teammates about possibly quitting. I will not say anything more, but it is absolutely true.
Let him quit. Why do you care it is Pitt they are nothing to PSU. They are not a rival they are just another school in western pa

When I first started reading this thread I figured it would be the I hate Pitt which it was but imho it has turned into a very interesting and good conversation.

I also think this has been a really interesting thread. Lots of calm and interesting discussion done in a respectful manner about a controversial topic. It is interesting to note who has and has not participated in the thread.

Reactions: TFBaum
I applaud you for furthering your learning and career growth.

Imo, the difference here is what constitutes an informed opinion vs. a gut-reaction opinion. Again, speaking for myself only, I consider my opinions to be informed when I've considered other input besides my gut reactions.

An example: I used to be of the mindset that a little flirting or a comment here or there in the workplace targeted at a woman (and for this example, I'll talk about women and not harassment in general) could be and should be shrugged off, and that the woman should simply tell the person to knock it off. I have your back on taking this approach, so toughen up, Sally. That's my opinion, and it was a solid one. Who would argue it? Certainly none of my male buddies argued it.

Ok, but as I found out by actually talking with Sally about it, that is only the surface of the issue in her eyes. The real issue is that if the bad behavior is ongoing, or widespread, and not addressed seriously, it is tacitly approved and now becomes a bigger part of her workday. Even if the behavior is idle for a few days, she may worry about it at home, she may be distracted at work and maybe cannot perform at her best. I believe it is in every employees best interest to help everyone be able to max their contributions. If someone is concerned with how they are treated and believing they are objectified at work, they have an artificial barrier to performing to their max. They may be a great employee, earn accolades and promotions, but may still be looking to leave because the unaddressed behavior of a few overshadows all the great stuff about working there, in their mind. The better approach is to handle the offender early and get rid of that nonsense with no doubt about how seriously the company takes the issue.

And same with the person who harasses another - they may be a great employee in many ways, but their behavior harms the team as a whole. As a coach, you no doubt have seen this in a few of the team dynamics you've been involved with... great player, bad for the team, team better off without him or her if they can't change their behavior.

So I agree that an informed opinion is extremely valuable, and to me that means my opinion is based on relevant input from a couple of viewpoints other than my own.

My place of employment has a lot of turnover. My position is one of very little power. After selling my business which I owned for 16 years, it was my dream to work doing something I truly love and fortunately my family has the level of financial comfort necessary where I can do it. I sell books, for very little money and find it tremendously rewarding.

The manger is reasonably competent. He does everything required of him, but exhibits no interest in his employees on a personal level. I spend most days greeting new employees, talking to others and chatting with them in between helping customers. I write down little things about them. Their likes and interests and some biographical information, usually. Not sure why I do it, probably simply habit built over many years. It is one of the things which makes my job so enjoyable.

Back to the manager. We have an employee who is in her early twenties. Nicest girl you are ever going to meet. The manager makes comments to her which are completely inappropriate. They aren’t things which are sexual and I truly believe if you hooked the manager up to a polygraph test and asked him if he was being deliberately offensive he could truthfully say no. The guy simply has no ability to empathize with other human beings and build rapport with them. I have been with the company for 2 years and when the regional manager enters the building he makes no effort to talk to anyone but the manager. Ignores every other employee. So it appears to be established corporate culture.

The manager’s behavior is not overtly wrong in the sense that if you wrote down his words on paper they would not appear offensive. However his comments amount to bullying, because he is deliberately targeting an employee who can not defend herself and worst of all he does it in a public setting. Your middle paragraph made me think about this and what my responsibility is in this situation. I comfort the girl when she is upset and listen to her and I have even urged her to contact HR which she did. I honestly wonder if I should do more. What would the more be though? The world is changing and this rock headed, Neanderthal approach to management is shifting, thankfully. It is so incredibly frustrating to still see it in action.

My place of employment has a lot of turnover. My position is one of very little power. After selling my business which I owned for 16 years, it was my dream to work doing something I truly love and fortunately my family has the level of financial comfort necessary where I can do it. I sell books, for very little money and find it tremendously rewarding.

The manger is reasonably competent. He does everything required of him, but exhibits no interest in his employees on a personal level. I spend most days greeting new employees, talking to others and chatting with them in between helping customers. I write down little things about them. Their likes and interests and some biographical information, usually. Not sure why I do it, probably simply habit built over many years. It is one of the things which makes my job so enjoyable.

Back to the manager. We have an employee who is in her early twenties. Nicest girl you are ever going to meet. The manager makes comments to her which are completely inappropriate. They aren’t things which are sexual and I truly believe if you hooked the manager up to a polygraph test and asked him if he was being deliberately offensive he could truthfully say no. The guy simply has no ability to empathize with other human beings and build rapport with them. I have been with the company for 2 years and when the regional manager enters the building he makes no effort to talk to anyone but the manager. Ignores every other employee. So it appears to be established corporate culture.

The manager’s behavior is not overtly wrong in the sense that if you wrote down his words on paper they would not appear offensive. However his comments amount to bullying, because he is deliberately targeting an employee who can not defend herself and worst of all he does it in a public setting. Your middle paragraph made me think about this and what my responsibility is in this situation. I comfort the girl when she is upset and listen to her and I have even urged her to contact HR which she did. I honestly wonder if I should do more. What would the more be though? The world is changing and this rock headed, Neanderthal approach to management is shifting, thankfully. It is so incredibly frustrating to still see it in action.
Wow that’s a tuff one. The world is changing and hopefully people realize they can now more than ever create their own path e.g. Edx classes etc.

Good for you for recognizing the situation and acting to help the employee.

I apologize in advance for the long response, especially as we are off the original topic now. Those not interested should opt out now!

High, unwanted turnover could be BAU within the industry (retail bookstore?), and/or it could be a result of bad management, most often meaning poor interpersonal skills, and other factors such as training and career opportunities, of course.

There is so much information available showing that poor people skills are one of the bigger deterrents to a company's higher levels of success, and there is a ton of training available to help people become better managers, so there is really no excuse for having bad managers in place.

If the employee went to HR, good for her but bad for all if HR sits by idly. This situation won't be resolved without at least a serious conversation with the manager by HR and his management, but may be better resolved through targeted training around Mgmt 101.

From my experience, the best way to convey the damage or potential damage is to have someone relate their personal experience in a training session. Like I said, I had one approach to these types of situations back in the 90s, even talked about it during new employee orientation, and it was accepted and applauded. But better information came about by listening to those directly impacted and not guessed at by the likes of me. So I changed the approach and insisted on management training to set the right tone for the company's expectations of our managers and leaders. Some managers or potential managers opted out - that was fine, maybe they were great individual contributors and that was where we'd all be better off. But they also came away knowing that certain behaviors were not ok and would be addressed.

So within the training sessions, I'd ask for someone - in this situation, a woman - to talk about her reactions and level of comfort or discomfort in such a scenario. But first, I'd ask the folks in the session to just give their thoughts about the scenario... how would you handle it, what would you say, etc. Most answered the way I used to, some said they'd kick it to HR and run away and hide, some said that Sally should just be able to shrug it off. Then I'd ask how they'd answer of their wife or gf or sister or mother came to them with the same scenario. The tough guy 'they'd be eatin' chicklets' approach was often cited. Then I would ask what was the difference? Usually crickets.

Then I'd ask for any of the women to volunteer their experiences, their feelings about it, their thoughts about it. I think I always had at least one volunteer, if not multiple. Sometimes the responses were full of emotion, including tears, anger, and mocking disbelief at how out of touch the guy was in the situation. This was the most impactful aspect for folks such as the manager you reference. Me saying it was: 'HR said yadda yadda and we hate HR because we can't have any fun'. Their respected colleague saying it, and really feeling it, drove home the point to others in the room. And that's how that particular bad-culture aspect was changed, and at a more rapid pace than by corporate edict and punishment. The managers and leadership now owned it, not HR.

So, if you are comfortable in talking with the manager directly to gauge what kind of reaction you may get to relating your observations about his behavior, you can go that route. Or perhaps consider going directly to HR yourself and bypassing the manager. (I'd still followup with HR if you talk with the mgr first). In either case, let them know that you have personally observed the situation and you are concerned about this person and about the work culture. Let them know how you feel about what you witness. Let them know it impacts this person, and it impacts you - you're spending time thinking about it, you're concerned for your colleague, you know from your success in your own business that treating people this way is a bad formula. Your words should carry some weight with both the manager and with HR. Ask HR about training for managers and in general. If you're concerned over retribution from this manager toward either you or the other employee, let HR know that without being accusatory. You should be covered by an explicit policy that prohibits retribution for voicing concerns.

This manager's level of emotional maturity will impact his reaction to whatever gets said to him. Consider that prior to deciding to talk with him. I'd say that even if you do talk with him, let HR know the whole deal, and if you can, document it to HR as a note to file via the email system. Make it clear you're not trying to handle the discipline yourself, you're making a personal observation about the underlying culture of the workplace. It is important to you, and it is safe to assume that it is important to others as well.

Bad managers are often more of a pita than bad employees.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT