ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Qualifier Allocations are out

Check out RPI. Same crazy rankings. Kemerer is #1 at 157, Nolf is #3. Retherford is #4 at 149 with Collica at #1. Gabe Dean is #7 at 184.

Just curious, Do they wrestle for the 9th allocation at Bigs ? I was checking last years brackets and didnt see it so I was just curious. Thanks for any info.

Just curious, Do they wrestle for the 9th allocation at Bigs ? I was checking last years brackets and didnt see it so I was just curious. Thanks for any info.
Yes. B10 just failed to show it in the brackets, but they'll wrestle to whatever # places are needed.

So they will seed 7 at 125, meaning only two get the byes and it's random draw? Nick will need to wrestle twice, I believe.

Yes. B10 just failed to show it in the brackets, but they'll wrestle to whatever # places are needed.
I have the "bonus brackets" from the last couple years, but can't find the internet link to post here.

It works this way for 133, 141, 157, 174 and 184.

The Big Ten will seed all the way to 14.
1 & 2 get byes. After that, it's;
3 vs 14, 4 vs 13, 5 vs 12, 6 vs 11, 7 vs 10, and 8 vs 9.
The losers in the 2nd Round of wrestlebacks will be placed in a 4-man bracket, by seed (lowest seed vs highest seed, and middle 2 seeds wrestle). Winners wrestle, and winner of that bout is the 9th guy in (goes to NCAA's) at that weight class.
These bonus matches do NOT count in any way towards the team score (NO Placement, NO Advancement, NO Bonus).

For our 133 to get in, it's either;
Win any 2 matches in the Championship or Wrestleback Brackets, OR
Win a 1st Round wrestleback match, then 2 "bonus" matches.

Lose his 1st Round Match, then his 1st Round wrestleback match, and he's done.

Last edited:
Reactions: dunkej01 and aalion
Highlights For PSU:

Coaches Poll
125: Suriano - 2nd
133: No PSUer
141: Gulibon - 11th
149: Zain - 1st
157: Nolf - 1st
165: Joseph - 4th
174: Hall - 5th
184: Nickal - 2nd
197: Cutch - 7th
285: Nevills - 3rd

RPI
125: Suriano - 3rd
133: No PSUer
141: Gulibon - 20th
149: Zain - 4th
157: Nolf - 3rd
165: No PSUer
174: Hall - 5th
184: Nickal - 1st
197: Cutch - 5th
285: Nevills - 2nd

B1G Qualification Allocations
125: 7
133: 9
141: 9
149: 6
157: 9
165: 6
174: 9
184: 9
197: 7
285: 5

Took a look at last years' 133 bracket in which all 14 were seeded. After Clark, you get the 11 seed, win that and you get the 8 or 9 seed I believe. Win there and you're in, lose and you get 13, and then either 10 or 12, if there are no upsets.

George's path, to me, is to peak for the tournament, get his first win in the first round of consy's, then hope to pull an upset, but if not, hope there are no major upsets, which make his next two matches winnable.

There appears to be some errors in the RPI's. For example, Joseph is missing:

I was wondering about his absence from the RPI. It's not necessarily an error. You need to have 17 matches to be in the RPI. Joseph's record was 13-3 heading into the Ok. St. dual. He won that, making his record 14-3 -- just making the minimum number. If any of those 17 matches are against a wrestler who is not in D1, then he would not meet the threshold. I don't have the time to check now. If anyone does, my suggestion would be to check the Keystone Classic matches that Joseph had.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
Well, Clark is a loss, and Micic most likely another loss, HOWEVER, after that, provided there are no upsets, both matches are winnable to get to 9th.

I was wondering about his absence from the RPI. It's not necessarily an error. You need to have 17 matches to be in the RPI. Joseph's record was 13-3 heading into the Ok. St. dual. He won that, making his record 14-3 -- just making the minimum number. If any of those 17 matches are against a wrestler who is not in D1, then he would not meet the threshold. I don't have the time to check now. If anyone does, my suggestion would be to check the Keystone Classic matches that Joseph had.
#6 Rogers, Chandler (18 - 5) #1 Oklahoma State 02/19 Penn State - Oklahoma State Dual 165 W MD 12 - 4
#134 Gerish, Patrick (10 - 15) #58 Maryland 02/12 Maryland - Penn State Dual 165 W FALL 3:58
#1 Martinez, Isaiah (23 - 0) #9 Illinois 02/10 Illinois - Penn State Dual 165 L DEC 5 - 2
#37 Burcher, Cody (15 - 13) #3 Ohio State 02/03 Penn State - Ohio State Dual 165 W MD 11 - 1
#2 Jordan, Isaac (21 - 2) #8 Wisconsin 01/27 Penn State - Wisconsin Dual 165 L SV-1 6 - 4
#57 Gunther, Joey (17 - 6) #4 Iowa 01/20 Penn State - Iowa Dual 165 W DEC 7 - 4
#100 Scott, Willie (16 - 9) #19 Rutgers 01/13 Rutgers - Penn State Dual 165 W TF5 19 - 3 4:55
#50 Williams, Dustin (14 - 12) #6 Nebraska 01/08 Penn State - Nebraska Dual 165 W MD 20 - 7
#15 Wanzek, Nick (23 - 9) #11 Minnesota 01/06 Penn State - Minnesota Dual 165 W DEC 7 - 4
#64 DePrez, Vincent (13 - 5) #54 Binghamton 12/11 Binghamton - Penn State Dual 165 W DEC 10 - 5
#20 Longo, Drew (10 - 6) #12 Lehigh 12/04 Lehigh - Penn State Dual 165 W DEC 10 - 5
#16 Campbell, Te`Shan (18 - 2) #30 Pittsburgh 11/20 Keystone Classic 165 W DEC 9 - 5 A
#5 Walsh, Chad (27 - 4) #29 Rider 11/20 Keystone Classic 165 W DEC 12 - 5
#194 Kasper, David (2 - 10) #45 Eastern Michigan 11/20 Keystone Classic 165 W TF5 21 - 6 5:55
#42 Rose, Austin (18 - 11) #32 Drexel 11/20 Keystone Classic 165 W TF5 23 - 6 6:41
#24 Subjeck, Keaton (19 - 6) #15 Stanford 11/13 Stanford - Penn State Dual 165 L DEC 18 - 12
#60 Mendel, Andrew (17 - 11) #37 Army 11/11 Penn State - Army Dual 165 W TF5 21 - 6 5:36

some of those RPI's are horribly off...

huh? The coaches poll is subjective. The RPI is a straight mathematical formula. It's not a computer generated ranking. It's a Rating Percentage Index, which is based upon a wrestler's wins and losses, and the records of those that they wrestled.

huh? The coaches poll is subjective. The RPI is a straight mathematical formula. It's not a computer generated ranking. It's a Rating Percentage Index, which is based upon a wrestler's wins and losses, and the records of those that they wrestled.
...and the records of his opponents-opponents.

New to this, so because Nolf and Zain can't wrestle themselves, their rating drops? I don't see how undefeated guys are rated 3rd and 4th?

New to this, so because Nolf and Zain can't wrestle themselves, their rating drops? I don't see how undefeated guys are rated 3rd and 4th?

It doesn't matter where you are in RPI, it's just important you make it in. Still not understanding Joseph since Roar just showed all 17 of his matches were D1 opponents?

It's more complicated than that.

Look at it this way: the B1G only gets 6 automatic qualifiers at 149. The only weight they get fewer at is 285. In short, 149 is not very strong in the B1G. Then look at the Coaches Ranking for 149. 1) Zain, 2) Collica, 3) Sorensen, ... 5) Micah Jordan. So the only guys in the top 10 that Zain wrestled were Collica, Sorensen, and Jordan. That hurts Zain's RPI.

Reactions: PSUer1989
Took a look at last years' 133 bracket in which all 14 were seeded. After Clark, you get the 11 seed, win that and you get the 8 or 9 seed I believe. Win there and you're in, lose and you get 13, and then either 10 or 12, if there are no upsets.

George's path, to me, is to peak for the tournament, get his first win in the first round of consy's, then hope to pull an upset, but if not, hope there are no major upsets, which make his next two matches winnable.
So what if Law has beaten and beats George in the wrestle off again....Who get's the spot ?

It's not as easy as saying a guy can't wrestle himself, or just look at the top guys a wrestler faced. It's easy to see the second level of math (a guys opponents, as the first level is the wrestler's own win%). Tom already noted that you could look at the number of top guys each wrestler faced, and you should look at the other end too. Zain wrestled 6 guys with .500 or losing records. Collica, Mayes, and Sorensen only had 4 each. That lowered Zain's RPI. Then there's the third level of math...the opponents-opponents records...and that becomes a bear to check out...and by the time you would do that, cowbell would be toast !!

Btw, it's a RATING, not a RANKING, which may help...but the NCAA blows that by having a subline "17 match minimum vs. Division I opponents required to be ranked"

Last edited:
Reactions: Maddog
I doubt either one will earn points at nationals if they would somehow get a spot.. and because of that, I think Carpenter has earned the right to wrestle at B1Gs.. He has taken it on the chin all year and kept that chin up and battled hard.. to now sit him would seem to be a poor move IMO..

Reactions: Flying_Tiger
So what if Law has beaten and beats George in the wrestle off again....Who get's the spot ?
The guy who Cael thinks has the best opportunity to qualify for nationals. Who may or may not be the same guy who wins a wrestle-off ... which OBTW isn't guaranteed to happen or a prerequisite to Cael's decision.

I am still confused about 133 (who wrestles). George has been wrestling in the dual meets and that makes sense because he is tough to pin. But if he only saved us a point or two (giving up 4 or 5 instead of 5 or 6), why didn't Law wrestle? Law needing as much experience as possible (if he is going to wrestle). This is assuming that the posts are correct and Law is winning in the room.

It's not like we risked losing a dual by who wrestled at 133 (in hindsight).

George has earned it.
Not if Law beats him every time in wrestle offs....My point is George is better at not giving up techs or pins but Law gives us a much better chance at winning 2 matches....If you talk to the right people the wrestle offs have not even been close BUT in the big duals he is better at not giving up big points in order for us to win...Now we are not in any duals so a win is a win and a loss is a loss with these 2...It does not matter by how much....So send out the best guy to win a spot,,,,JMO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT