ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Rules changes coming!!

And lastly, and this is by far my biggest point:

These rule changes aren't even necessary. Like, at all. The sport has a few dud matches here and there, but, aesthetically, it's the best it's probably ever been. This stuff about reductions in viewership or whatever, please. If you want to grow the sport, then find ways to increase the numbers of programs and opportunities (looking at you, federal courts and ADs).
I grew up around sprint car racing here in central PA. Doug Wolfgang, a legend of that sport, used to say he liked change, because he wanted to grow and adapt. But that doesn't have to be from rule changes. In sprint car racing, it came from guys building better parts and trying new styles of driving.

We already have enough change in our sport from coaches like Cael forcing people to adapt, and not just be "play hard, work hard" old schoolers like Smith or whatever went on at Minnesota a few years ago. We don't need massive rule changes.

The NCAA also just formally announced they're eliminating time stoppages after first downs in college football.

Another wholly unnecessary and misguided change from the geniuses.

Reactions: lockhavenlion3
Would have liked to see a reversal changed to 3 points as well. Feel that is also undervalued and it is usually an exciting type move.
It may be that we don't have all the information but I found this odd too. Reversals are already devalued relative to takedowns--in my opinion reversals should be worth 1 more point than takedowns because a reversal is essentially a takedown and an escape, accomplished in one move. You're essentially being penalized a point for being too efficient.

No score in second period, Wrestler A chooses down, reverses; Wrestler B escapes; Score is 2-1 Wrestler A.
No score in second period, Wrestler A escapes; score is 1-0 Wrestler A.

Reversing + allowing an escape should not be equivalent to an escape.

So if reversals are one point less than takedowns, they're effectively worth two less points--why bother? Just work on the escape.

The NCAA also just formally announced they're eliminating time stoppages after first downs in college football.

You don't understand, that will allow the television networks to add 15 more minutes of commercials to a game. Game no shorter but more profitable.

Reactions: Ski

More time in a 4 hour 15 minute game to broadcast commercials.

The one rule they didn’t adress is the ultimate tie breaker where one guy can dance around the final period and win. And by doing away with riding time point except as a bonus back point, there may be more tied bouts going into that flawed (IMHO) set of periods.

You know what puts my knickers in a knot? When bottom guy works for an escape, gets to standing, has control of one leg while the top guy is hopping on the other, and all the while riding time is racking up because the ref doesn’t want to call a premature 1 escape and 2 takedown.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT