ADVERTISEMENT

Next National Champ.

In all seriousness, there are 8 to 10 teams that have a legit shot at the 2024 NC with the new 12-team Playoff. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2-loss team win it

In all seriousness, there are 8 to 10 teams that have a legit shot at the 2024 NC with the new 12-team Playoff. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2-loss team win it
I disagree. By the end of the season, we'll probably see 3-5 teams that are "it" when it comes to having a shot.

It's one thing to win a playoff game as the 10 seed (going to #7 and winning on Dec 21)...it's another thing to then go beat the #2 team in the country on Jan. 1...and then beat the #3 or #6 seed on January 9-10...and then beat the #1 or #4 seed. That's an incredible run...beating #7, #2, #3, and #1 in about a month's time. And if the team was only #10 in the regular season, they aren't going to have that kind of strength and consistency.

History tells us that there are 3-5 teams in any given season that truly have the talent/depth to make a run like this. 2008 was one of the few anomalies in recent history where 7-8 teams were truly qualified for a title run.

I disagree. By the end of the season, we'll probably see 3-5 teams that are "it" when it comes to having a shot.

It's one thing to win a playoff game as the 10 seed (going to #7 and winning on Dec 21)...it's another thing to then go beat the #2 team in the country on Jan. 1...and then beat the #3 or #6 seed on January 9-10...and then beat the #1 or #4 seed. That's an incredible run...beating #7, #2, #3, and #1 in about a month's time. And if the team was only #10 in the regular season, they aren't going to have that kind of strength and consistency.

History tells us that there are 3-5 teams in any given season that truly have the talent/depth to make a run like this. 2008 was one of the few anomalies in recent history where 7-8 teams were truly qualified for a title run.
Agreed but that 10 seed might be Bama or Georgia or even Ohio State if things fall a certain way. 7-10 are going to have a tough path but that 11 seed could always be dangerous depending on who finishes 6th.

For sake of argument...let's say the 12 look like...
1 Texas
2 Ohio State
3 Clemson
4 Iowa State

5 Oregon
6 LSU
7 Penn State
8 Alabama
9 Notre Dame
10 Miami
11 Georgia (say 9-3)
12 Boise State

Is it hard to see Georgia beating LSU and Clemson to get to a semis?

I think we'll get more chaos then we think because those 3/4 seeds are far from locks to be elite teams. Those 3-5 contender could often include teams ranked 5-9 or even a surprise 10 or 11

Is it hard to see Georgia beating LSU and Clemson to get to a semis?
Well, if Georgia is really 9-3, are they the juggernaut we usually expect from the Bulldogs? Just sayin...
I think we'll get more chaos then we think because those 3/4 seeds are far from locks to be elite teams. Those 3-5 contender could often include teams ranked 5-9 or even a surprise 10 or 11
That's a GREAT point. With this current set-up, those 3/4 champs are very likely worse than 5-9 (and maybe even an 11 seed).

I was initially angry about the playoff structure shift happening in 2 years...but with the Power 2 standing so dominant over the rest of the landscape, only the top 2 should really get that bye. And then it just makes sense to have 12 other teams battling out on Dec. 20-21 (6 games).

But I seriously hope the bracket creep stops there. Actually not sure how they could add any more games to the schedule...so I think we should be good...but you never know with this chaotic era...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT