ADVERTISEMENT

NIL & Recruiting

bdgan

May 29, 2008
I looked at the 5 highest ranked recruits from PA, MD, OH, & NJ because those are our traditionally strong recruiting regions. It looks like the only top 5 PSU will land from any of those states is Jamir Joseph who is the #5 ranked prospect from NJ.

A lot of PSU's star players will likely be gone after this year (Allar, Warren, Singleton, Allen, Carter, Sutton) so there's a lot of opportunity for early playing time. So why is PSU missing out on the top recruits? I assume NIL has a lot to do with it. Maybe Franklin is using it to hold onto last year's recruits.

I realize that NIL doesn't come from the university but I can't help but to think it could in an indirect way. What if our $700 million stadium upgrade was cut back to $500 million. That would be $200 million more to pay players ($20 million per year for 10 years). How much of that $700 million is coming from donors? Couldn't they be encouraged to redirect $200 million to NIL? It just seems like there ought to be a way.

The 5th highest payroll in the BiG would be the envy of the 13 teams below us but it would still leave us in a tough position to compete with the teams ahead of us. If we can't compete on money we might have to start taking a Wisconsin type approach. Concentrate on big OL who are less expensive than top skill players.

Thoughts?

About a year ago, Franklin stated we were 2 years behind in NIL. He believes Kraft will put us in a better position going forward. They are coming after the alumni for part of it.

Last edited:
I looked at the 5 highest ranked recruits from PA, MD, OH, & NJ because those are our traditionally strong recruiting regions. It looks like the only top 5 PSU will land from any of those states is Jamir Joseph who is the #5 ranked prospect from NJ.

A lot of PSU's star players will likely be gone after this year (Allar, Warren, Singleton, Allen, Carter, Sutton) so there's a lot of opportunity for early playing time. So why is PSU missing out on the top recruits? I assume NIL has a lot to do with it. Maybe Franklin is using it to hold onto last year's recruits.

I realize that NIL doesn't come from the university but I can't help but to think it could in an indirect way. What if our $700 million stadium upgrade was cut back to $500 million. That would be $200 million more to pay players ($20 million per year for 10 years). How much of that $700 million is coming from donors? Couldn't they be encouraged to redirect $200 million to NIL? It just seems like there ought to be a way.

The 5th highest payroll in the BiG would be the envy of the 13 teams below us but it would still leave us in a tough position to compete with the teams ahead of us. If we can't compete on money we might have to start taking a Wisconsin type approach. Concentrate on big OL who are less expensive than top skill players.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are why are we paying a coach $10M per if we need to pay recruits their highest bids to get them?

The model is broken and with NIL you dont have anything worth caring about. We won'r compete.

Just pay your money and be happy.

LdN

My thoughts are why are we paying a coach $10M per if we need to pay recruits their highest bids to get them?

The model is broken and with NIL you dont have anything worth caring about. We won'r compete.

LdN
I agree. This isn't a dig at Franklin.

My question is would we be better off with a coach earning $1 million less and a player payroll that's $1 million higher?

I realize the money is coming out of different pockets but there ought to be some way to make it work.

I think the Nittany Lion Club money goes toward scholarships. Can that go towards NIL?

Last edited:
Reactions: LionDeNittany
About a year ago, Franklin stated we were 2 years behind in NIL. He believes Kraft will put us in a better position going forward. They are coming after the alumni for part of it.
Good luck getting 750,000 alumni to donate to player salaries. Maybe 5% of them will.

37,500 x $100 = $3,750,000. Maybe more if you get PSU merchandise for your $100.

LdN
That is an interesting perspective you bring up about paying head coaches less. If the focus is on generating NIL money to pay the best players do we need coaches salaries to be as high? I can see where a trade off can be helpful to keep players. In the NFL, the best players earn more than the best head coaches. Could we see a similar compensation comparison coming to college.

Last edited:
I agree. This isn't a dig at Franklin.

My question is would we be better off with a coach earning $1 million less and a playyer payroll that's $1 million higher?

I realize the money is coming out of different pockets but there ought to be some way to make it work.

I think the Nittany Lion Club money goes toward scholarships. Can that go towards NIL?

The money is coming from alumni in either case.

Cut his salary fo 5M and send 5M to nil

LdN
You must have missed how other programs are paying their coaches as much or more than Franklin and have more NIL money as well. But hey never miss a chance for a cheap shot huh?

You must have missed how other programs are paying their coaches as much or more than Franklin and have more NIL money as well. But hey never miss a chance for a cheap shot huh?
It's not a cheap shot. The question is what you want to prioritize - Facilities, staff, or players?

That's great for other programs.

The space race for coaches salaries was 95% about recruiting.

Now the alumni are asked to do that.

Take the 95% back and pay appropriately.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT