ADVERTISEMENT

Noteworthy Results and Goldfish Games — Week of 1/20-1/22

Umm yeah...I'm not really looking for verification tho. Btw, Kolby Franklin is another I told you guys I'd be looking to recruit over. I still feel that way.
I know. Regarding Franklin, I agree. Already lost to a D3 guy at the Luther Open and to Evan Bates, back up for Northwestern. And we don’t see a lot of improvement in the room.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Now will the Brands Bros work their guys into the dirt during this week of practice to make them stronger after that performance? 🏋‍♂️🤼

They did shake hands at the end of the match though. They are maturing.
Working Shake Hands GIF

Minnesota over Purdue 20 - 12

• 125: Matt Ramos (Pur) knocks off Patrick McKee 4-2
  • 141: Parker Filius (Pur) knocks off Jake Bergeland 8-5
  • 157: Kendall Coleman (Pur) over Brayton Lee 5-2
Brayton Lee having a tough year with a record of 4-5 so far.

And just saw that Tony Negron (ASU) held Shane Griffith (Stan) to a 4-2 DEC. Perhaps its one of those where the score makes it look closer than it was, but that's a respectable outcome for Tony.

I know the general sentiment is that 125 is weak and Spencer won't have to beat anyone to get his 4th, but man, he is impressive and I am loving the fact that we get to watch a guy we will be talking about for a long time. His sheer domination over the top competition is something I've never seen, not even from our incredible crew. He is pinning everyone at will and making a statement this year. We can all say what we want about Iowa and how they push, stall, and scratch and claw (ahem, Brands), but damn, Spencer is fun to watch!
Best he ever beat was who?

Reactions: gptakba
Here it is. Gelogaev special, lateral drop with double overs + inside trip. Definitely a quick call. That said, Assad was stuck longer initially, before the ref got into position.

(Video embedded in the tweet, may need to click thru but it's there.)

At least a bit reminiscent of Bo Nickal throwing and sticking Sammy Brooks, with lots of wiggling and twitching by the Iowa wrestler.

That said, will always credit Brooks for at least having the stones to go toe-to-toe with Nickal, even though it never ended well for him (Brooks).

Edit - Added the video.

Last edited:
Best he ever beat was who?
As someone who loves watching good wrestling, I could care less about the PSU/Iowa rivalry when it comes down to this. Honestly, his overall resume of names he's beat is pretty good, and his full-boar style of wrestling has put him in bad spots a couple of times in his career (i.e. Picc and then Ramos this year). But I'd rather see him get tossed for being overly aggressive then sitting back and wrestling a Lewan-style match. He's exciting, and honestly, one of the few who wrestle the old school "Iowa-style" wrestling that is all but extinct in Iowa City.

Reactions: mcpat and Fatmarc
I know the general sentiment is that 125 is weak and Spencer won't have to beat anyone to get his 4th, but man, he is impressive and I am loving the fact that we get to watch a guy we will be talking about for a long time. His sheer domination over the top competition is something I've never seen, not even from our incredible crew. He is pinning everyone at will and making a statement this year. We can all say what we want about Iowa and how they push, stall, and scratch and claw (ahem, Brands), but damn, Spencer is fun to watch!
Pa trained.

That's probably about as good as Amos can do though.
Not converting the cradle with Franklin’s hip on the mat was a killer. And then, in giving it up, he telegraphs a “surprise” release-and-buck, getting no NF after having a freshman back-up dead to rights.
Painful to watch.
Sorry if that’s a little dramatic, but I came from a room where executing on NF opportunities was a big deal. It stuck with me into fandom.

Not converting the cradle with Franklin’s hip on the mat was a killer. And then, in giving it up, he telegraphs a “surprise” release-and-buck, getting no NF after having a freshman back-up dead to rights.
Painful to watch.
Sorry if that’s a little dramatic, but I came from a room where executing on NF opportunities was a big deal. It stuck with me into fandom.
I know we're extremely spoiled as PSU fans, but does anyone think that given a similar situation, one of our hammers doesn't pour it on and get a minimum of a major. It was tough to watch the potential for a win get wasted away.

Reactions: slushhead
Post-match interview with Brands; sometimes that dude cracks me up. Life metaphors, says Hilger was oiled up, etc.

Yikes. Can you imagine Cael publicly calling out specific wrestlers he thinks underperformed on his team following a dual? Or taking a dig at an opposing wrestler and saying "print that"?

I admire Brands' passion but his lack of self-awareness and social grace is startling at times. There's a place to coach up your guys and provide helpful critiques. Public comment to the media is not that place.

Painful to watch.
I got what you were saying, and appreciate your take. I am just saying, expecting Amos to deliver in that situation is placing your expectations outside Amos's executable skill set. At least at this point in his career, and most likely throughout his career.

Reactions: slushhead
Yikes. Can you imagine Cael publicly calling out specific wrestlers he thinks underperformed on his team following a dual? Or taking a dig at an opposing wrestler and saying "print that"?

I admire Brands' passion but his lack of self-awareness and social grace is startling at times. There's a place to coach up your guys and provide helpful critiques. Public comment to the media is not that place.
And the wrestlers he called out were true freshmen.

He’s a jack***, known for decades at this point. Nothing should surprise anyone.

HE MAKES THEM HATE THE SPORT !!!!

If you watch the last period of the Hamiti-Kennedy match, I’m pretty sure Hamiti had Kennedy in a Nickal vs. Brooks style spladle, and Kennedy was almost certainly decked.

If you watch the last period of the Hamiti-Kennedy match, I’m pretty sure Hamiti had Kennedy in a Nickal vs. Brooks style spladle, and Kennedy was almost certainly decked.
Yeah why were back points not rewarded there?

I know we're extremely spoiled as PSU fans, but does anyone think that given a similar situation, one of our hammers doesn't pour it on and get a minimum of a major. It was tough to watch the potential for a win get wasted away.

IIRC, in the Dual of the Century (Ohio State/PSU dual in 2018) Bo and Cenzo both pulled off bonus points late in the 3rd (verrrry late for Bo) knowing they needed ever little bit of help.

Reactions: PAgeologist

Yeah why were back points not rewarded there?
Not really close to NF in my opinion. Hamiti had the spladle locked and couldn’t sit/roll back with it or else the momentum would have pulled his trailing foot OOB. So he had to sit there with Kennedy stacked on his head in an awkward position. If that happens in-bounds, Hamiti just rolls back and sticks him.

Amos needs a change of scenery if he wants NCAA success. And maybe a Snyder type move to HWT. Amos looks so mediocre at 197. Hard to believe.

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT