ADVERTISEMENT

Obli's Observations; Missed Opp (or not)

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
I honestly wanted to feel worse after the game was over. I felt we were the better team coming in. But it didn't work out that way. Why? Never underestimate experience. Pitt's QB played the game of his life. He had a very efficient game at 11 of 15 passing (1 INT). But he also ran for 52 yards (6.5 ypc.).

Contrast that with McSorley, who played well, but gave up three turnovers (two fumbles and an INT), and lost 21 yards.

Why don't I feel bad? Read on....

• I think both coaching staffs approached this game correctly. CJF didn't want his young team choking, so downplayed it. Nard wanted his team playing like it was the super bowl, and they did.
  • I said going in, this was the game of the year....and I was right. This really gives Pitt a shot in the arm and I'll bet you they are ranked by year end. They play nobody but Clemson this year. NK, Okie State and Miami are OK, just not great teams. Meanwhile, PSU has four top 15 teams on the schedule. Ouch.
  • Pitt coaches are really good. They correctly saw our slow DE's and attached it. Gut punches from Connor, round houses from several on jet sweeps. Until we started to sub in faster DE's, we were powerless. The inside pitch on the final TD (3rd and 12) was a a great call against our sell-out defense. They also have good team speed on offense with Henderson and Whitehead. (not sure how the D didn't account for him when he was on the field on offense).
  • For us, I don't think we had a clue what game speed was. It took us some time to adjust on the offensive line, QB and on defense. We play so many sophs and freshmen, their only experience was Kent. A good defense but not Pitt. Shareef Miller and Manny Bowen look like good ones and we really, REALLY missed Cabinda.
  • McSorley managed the team well. And he seems much more comfortable throwing out of the pocket. Sadly, he avoids the sack about as well as Hackenberg, so far. I heard we are "on par" in sacks from last year. He is also NOT a strong runner. He hasn't broken a tackle yet this year. However, he passed it pretty darn well. He also showed a much better arm this week. I thought the underneath stuff was there all day long. We didn't have the patience. We either went short or deep. It reminded me of how the Steelers used to beat Marino. The guy had no patience and just had to throw it deep. And when he did it was either an INT or a lost play for no gain. McSorley is going to be a good QB, he just isn't one yet. The team is not playing to his strengths and away from his weaknesses. We did better, but I've got confidence in JoeMo. Plus, other than the turnovers, we didn't lose this game because of our offense, we lost it on defense.
  • BTW, I noticed almost zero engagement by CJF during timeouts. He is really a manager and lets the OC and DC call the game. I am sold on JoeMo. The team is crisp in and out of the game, substitutions, assignments (for the most part). i don't think we've called a "personnel" timeout yet this season. The D is crisp, too, but I am not quite sold out our new DC because it took too long to adjust. We gave up a LOT of points to a pretty mediocre offense. tOSU will kill us at this pace.
  • So PSU is shocked by the game speed and then turns the ball over twice in the first half. If you look at it, both offenses moved the ball almost at will. The difference was the turnovers.
  • But...we didn't convert a long kickoff return into a TD....we dropped a long ball that would probably have been a TD....we went for a deep ball with 1:30 left (WTF?) when a WR ran the wrong route and his defender right into the area where the TE (who was the intended receiver) was while the QB overthrew the ball by 10 yards. Why? Nerves, Pressure, not having been there before.
  • And Barkley, my man Barkley.....he gets first downs. Kid is a bull. If we had a line...wow. Reminds me of the old CLE Indians who would either have great pitching and no hitting, or great hitting and no pitching. Why not more passes to him? I recall some fantastic screens to him last year from Hackenberg, and that wheel route was wide open. If they are going to key on him running, lets get him the ball via passing.
  • CJF MUST do SOMETHING about Center and LT. Pitt attacked his all day long with stunts, twists and fake blitzes. The guard didn't know who to help. McSorley is doing his best Hackenberg in the Pocket imitation and the sacks are mounting up. Trace needs to learn to step up into the pocket because the rush is almost always coming from the left tackle. The other problem is that when someone sneezes, McSorley goes down. He is just not a great athlete and we need to game plan around that.
  • I honestly don't think we got outcoached. I think the players did some dumb things. It reminds me of a conversation my brother in law had with Chris Weber a few years ago. Weber told him that Coach Fisher said, twice, that Michigan was out of timeouts. And an assistant coach told him that there were no timeouts left. So what does he do? He picks up his dribble, gets double teamed, and what? Calls a timeout! That is what PSU looked like to me in the first half. They started out well, then when things when bad, they panicked. Ah the youth....
  • But, undaunted, they came back. McSorley started to throw darts, the line was giving him time, Barkley was picking up blitzes, PSU was moving the ball. Then what? We lose patience. After a long kickoff return, we don't run Barkley once. With 1:30 left, we start throwing long bombs. Why? Doesn't the game dictate we take time off the board and then try to score? It was just dumb...really, really dumb.
However, in the mess, we bounce one off of Hamilton and the team comforts him, and each other, on the sideline. Not sure why, but it seems one of those seminal moments. A moment when the team realizes who they are, the talent they have, and why they lost. They weren't outplayed, they beat themselves. They gave it their all, for many the first time, in a real high calibre, top college football game. They realized they belonged. They have the talent.

Sometimes, it takes something to realize you are good enough to play at this level. i think the kids realize it, now, and need to embrace it. I was very impressed with their in game courage and post game composure.

They can't turn it over, they can't drop balls, they need to maintain their poise, they need to take what the defense is giving, they need to be patient in close games and they need to believe in themselves. The staff needs to know who McSorley is and who he is not. I stick with my 7/8 win prediction for 2016. I just don't see anyone beating tOSU and UM. Sparty is superior. I am not that impressed with anyone else. Iowa is the next key game. Maryland is going to be a challenge.

So...sometimes you have to take a step back to take two forward. perhaps that was the opportunity seized. We'll see.

And Barkley, my man Barkley.....he gets first downs. Kid is a bull. If we had a line...wow. Reminds me of the old CLE Indians who would either have great pitching and no hitting, or great hitting and no pitching. Why not more passes to him? I recall some fantastic screens to him last year from Hackenberg, and that wheel route was wide open. If they are going to key on him running, lets get him the ball via passing.

Yep.

Reactions: Doc-M
I was not impressed by the Pitt coaches. They made a couple of decisions that made no sense at all. Attempting that field goal that wasn't even close gave us great field position that we converted into points. The smart play was pin us deep and let us burn some clock.

At the end of the day, I was pretty happy with the team. I expected us to lose by a touchdown or more and I was pleased with the way we kept fighting back. Unfortunately, it was a game we should have won.

Reactions: mn78psu83
I honestly wanted to feel worse after the game was over. I felt we were the better team coming in. But it didn't work out that way. Why? Never underestimate experience. Pitt's QB played the game of his life. He had a very efficient game at 11 of 15 passing (1 INT). But he also ran for 52 yards (6.5 ypc.).

Contrast that with McSorley, who played well, but gave up three turnovers (two fumbles and an INT), and lost 21 yards.

• I think both coaching staffs approached this game correctly. CJF didn't want his young team choking, so downplayed it. Nard wanted his team playing like it was the super bowl, and they did.
  • I said going in, this was the game of the year....and I was right. This really gives Pitt a shot in the arm and I'll bet you they are ranked by year end. They play nobody but Clemson this year. NK, Okie State and Miami are OK, just not great teams. Meanwhile, PSU has four top 15 teams on the schedule. Ouch.
  • Pitt coaches are really good. They correctly saw our slow DE's and attached it. Gut punches from Connor, round houses from several on jet sweeps. Until we started to sub in faster DE's, we were powerless. The inside pitch on the final TD (3rd and 12) was a a great call against our sell-out defense. They also have good team speed on offense with Henderson and Whitehead. (not sure how the D didn't account for him when he was on the field on offense).
  • For us, I don't think we had a clue what game speed was. It took us some time to adjust on the offensive line, QB and on defense. We play so many sophs and freshmen, their only experience was Kent. A good defense but not Pitt. Shareef Miller and Manny Bowen look like good ones and we really, REALLY missed Cabinda.
  • McSorley managed the team well. And he seems much more comfortable throwing out of the pocket. Sadly, he avoids the sack about as well as Hackenberg, so far. I heard we are "on par" in sacks from last year. He is also NOT a strong runner. He hasn't broken a tackle yet this year. However, he passed it pretty darn well. He also showed a much better arm this week. I thought the underneath stuff was there all day long. We didn't have the patience. We either went short or deep. It reminded me of how the Steelers used to beat Marino. The guy had no patience and just had to throw it deep. And when he did it was either an INT or a lost play for no gain. McSorley is going to be a good QB, he just isn't one yet. The team is not playing to his strengths and away from his weaknesses. We did better, but I've got confidence in JoeMo. Plus, other than the turnovers, we didn't lose this game because of our offense, we lost it on defense.
  • BTW, I noticed almost zero engagement by CJF during timeouts. He is really a manager and lets the OC and DC call the game. I am sold on JoeMo. The team is crisp in and out of the game, substitutions, assignments (for the most part). i don't think we've called a "personnel" timeout yet this season. The D is crisp, too, but I am not quite sold out our new DC because it took too long to adjust. We gave up a LOT of points to a pretty mediocre offense. tOSU will kill us at this pace.
  • So PSU is shocked by the game speed and then turns the ball over twice in the first half. If you look at it, both offenses moved the ball almost at will. The difference was the turnovers.
  • But...we didn't convert a long kickoff return into a TD....we dropped a long ball that would probably have been a TD....we went for a deep ball with 1:30 left (WTF?) when a WR ran the wrong route and his defender right into the area where the TE (who was the intended receiver) was while the QB overthrew the ball by 10 yards. Why? Nerves, Pressure, not having been there before.
  • And Barkley, my man Barkley.....he gets first downs. Kid is a bull. If we had a line...wow. Reminds me of the old CLE Indians who would either have great pitching and no hitting, or great hitting and no pitching. Why not more passes to him? I recall some fantastic screens to him last year from Hackenberg, and that wheel route was wide open. If they are going to key on him running, lets get him the ball via passing.
  • CJF MUST do SOMETHING about Center and LT. Pitt attacked his all day long with stunts, twists and fake blitzes. The guard didn't know who to help. McSorley is doing his best Hackenberg in the Pocket imitation and the sacks are mounting up. Trace needs to learn to step up into the pocket because the rush is almost always coming from the left tackle. The other problem is that when someone sneezes, McSorley goes down. He is just not a great athlete and we need to game plan around that.
  • I honestly don't think we got outcoached. I think the players did some dumb things. It reminds me of a conversation my brother in law had with Chris Weber a few years ago. Weber told him that Coach Fisher said, twice, that Michigan was out of timeouts. And an assistant coach told him that there were no timeouts left. So what does he do? He picks up his dribble, gets double teamed, and what? Calls a timeout! That is what PSU looked like to me in the first half. They started out well, then when things when bad, they panicked. Ah the youth....
  • But, undaunted, they came back. McSorley started to throw darts, the line was giving him time, Barkley was picking up blitzes, PSU was moving the ball. Then what? We lose patience. After a long kickoff return, we don't run Barkley once. With 1:30 left, we start throwing long bombs. Why? Doesn't the game dictate we take time off the board and then try to score? It was just dumb...really, really dumb.
However, in the mess, we bounce one off of Hamilton and the team comforts him, and each other, on the sideline. Not sure why, but it seems one of those seminal moments. A moment when the team realizes who they are, the talent they have, and why they lost. They weren't outplayed, they beat themselves. They gave it their all, for many the first time, in a real high calibre, top college football game. They realized they belonged. They have the talent.

Sometimes, it takes something to realize you are good enough to play at this level. i think the kids realize it, now, and need to embrace it. I was very impressed with their in game courage and post game composure.

They can't turn it over, they can't drop balls, they need to maintain their poise, they need to take what the defense is giving, they need to be patient in close games and they need to believe in themselves. The staff needs to know who McSorley is and who he is not. I stick with my 7/8 win prediction for 2016. I just don't see anyone beating tOSU and UM. Sparty is superior. I am not that impressed with anyone else. Iowa is the next key game. Maryland is going to be a challenge.

So...sometimes you have to take a step back to take two forward. perhaps that was the opportunity seized. We'll see.

giphy.gif

They weren't outplayed, they beat themselves.
I agree with about everything you say except this ^^^. Pitt's offense shoved it right down PSU's throat... all game long. To say our kids beat themselves takes it away from a Pitt team who clearly outplayed us. Sure, our kids were gutsy and almost pulled it out in the end, but to say Pitt didn't beat them is unfair to Pitt.

I was not impressed by the Pitt coaches. They made a couple of decisions that made no sense at all. Attempting that field goal that wasn't even close gave us great field position that we converted into points. The smart play was pin us deep and let us burn some clock.

At the end of the day, I was pretty happy with the team. I expected us to lose by a touchdown or more and I was pleased with the way we kept fighting back. Unfortunately, it was a game we should have won.
I had a bad feeling about the game. I told my friend we'd lose by 10 to 14. It really stung that PSU gave away their chance to win on such an ill-advised decision. Winnable game.

I agree with about everything you say except this ^^^. Pitt's offense shoved it right down PSU's throat... all game long. To say our kids beat themselves takes it away from a Pitt team who clearly outplayed us. Sure, our kids were gutsy and almost pulled it out in the end, but to say Pitt didn't beat them is unfair to Pitt.
Agree. But you can't turn the ball over four times and expect to win. The D cost us the game but they were Pty good down the stretch other than that shovel pass for the TD.

Agree. But you can't turn the ball over four times and expect to win. The D cost us the game but they were Pty good down the stretch other than that shovel pass for the TD.

Pitt definitely had their way with the D on many possessions. But despite this, 3 of Pitt's 6 scores came off short fields. They had a 12 yard TD drive after the kick return, a 10 yarder after the 1st fumble, and then a 30yd drive in the 1st half. Turnovers killed.

You mentioned more than once that we didn't covert after a long kick return???? I think you mean after Conner's fumble inside the 20. We never had a "long" kick return...

Reactions: Obliviax
McSorley will gain better pocket presence with experience, but he is already so much better than hackenburg in trying to extend the play. CH would just take the sack. McSorley goes through his progessions well and tries to make things happen. at one point Saturday, he simply threw the ball away rather than take a loss. That was a solid throw on the 2 pt conversion. he stood in the pocket and didn't force anything. his stats were very good, it's a shame the pick in the end spoiled what was a very good performance for only his 2nd start.

Talk about politically correct rephrasing, haha.

Let me say it as it was: Franklin did not have his team, YOUNG OR OTHERWISE, ready to play, and his team lost, because of it.

There, saved you 17 paragraphs.

Reactions: Chaos
McSorley will gain better pocket presence with experience, but he is already so much better than hackenburg in trying to extend the play. CH would just take the sack. McSorley goes through his progessions well and tries to make things happen. at one point Saturday, he simply threw the ball away rather than take a loss. That was a solid throw on the 2 pt conversion. he stood in the pocket and didn't force anything. his stats were very good, it's a shame the pick in the end spoiled what was a very good performance for only his 2nd start.
Just can't lay it down like that. He did do a lot of good things though and looks like a leader out there.

Half right, half wrong: I commend you for having the courage to be honest about LT and Center, especially on this board, comprised of 80 percent apologists. You are wrong about McSorely: He is a fantastic athlete, and a great leader, and if not for him, we lose 42-14.

Attention haters: READ THE STATEMENT ON TRACE MCSORELY. NOT NEGATIVE. POSITIVE, because it's true.

Last edited:
Reactions: DB2592
So Franklin really is a CEO. $4.5 M CEO. And we are better if our CEO stays out of any coaching during the game. Hmmm

Take a few hundred thousand dollars out during this off season, go see some old coaches, and have them train you on how to prepare your team to play from the opening kickoff. You make 4.5 million dollars, and you've lost, literally, five games in the past 3 years because you don't know how to motivate your players to play with intensity from the start of the game.

Half right, half wrong: I commend you for having the courage to be honest about LT and Center, especially on this board, comprised of 80 percent apologists. You are wrong about McSorely: He is a fantastic athlete, and a great leader, and if not for him, we lose 42-14.

Not sure how Trace is a great athlete. Weak arm, can't run away from anyone can't run through anyone ,and can't juke anyone. He did play a good game - but he made mistakes. That may improve with experience. He will not get bigger, more elusive, faster, nor will his arm improve. Better at least start getting Stevens some snaps because Trace is going to be ground into a fine powder as soon as one week from Saturday.

Sparty is superior. I am not that impressed with anyone else. Iowa is the next key game. Maryland is going to be a challenge.

Excellent observations. One thing I disagree with - we will not lose to Sparty this year. Our kids are growing up and by November, we will be the better team. 8 wins with a chance for 9 in a bowl.

WOAH! I just circled and saved your post amigo. Good stuff!
If that's not how it pans out, then I'll be happy to admit I'm wrong after our last game...certainly wouldn't be the first time I am wrong. I just think this team is finally trending upward. Yesterday's game came down to a play or two as the difference even after we fell WAY behind. They couldn't have come back last year the way they did yesterday. Sure the DL needs to grow up and the OL is still a work in progress, but after a half-dozen or so games under its belt (including a few potentially humbling outings against the big boys), things are going to click for this team and I think they're going to finish the season red hot.

If that's not how it pans out, then I'll be happy to admit I'm wrong after our last game...certainly wouldn't be the first time I am wrong. I just think this team is finally trending upward. Yesterday's game came down to a play or two as the difference even after we fell WAY behind. They couldn't have come back last year the way they did yesterday. Sure the DL needs to grow up and the OL is still a work in progress, but after a half-dozen or so games under its belt (including a few potentially humbling outings against the big boys), things are going to click for this team and I think they're going to finish the season red hot.
I will agree with you on one part of your analysis: NO WAY they come back last year, last year that's a 21 point loss...Trace is special, I am a true believer in McSorely. If we just didn't spring a new leak every time we get a new asset...Great defense two years ago, no O line and bad system. Great system with great RB and QB that fits this year, but no linebackers and inconsistent D line. Great punter this year, but still no kickoff coverage...just hard to handle. I will admit, the frustration is hard to deal with. I blame O'Brien's lack of recruiting.

I have been watching Penn State football since the early 1970s. Saturday was one of the most embarrassing displays of Penn State football that I have seen. No fire, no tackling - but a little mouthing off and hot dogging. About what, I am not quite sure. but I bet that is what led to the negative comments by former players. This team is not disciplined, makes too many mistakes, does not play smart, does not tackle, and seems to take the attitude - eh, we gave it a good try...another loss, oh well. Serious changes need to be made!

I have been watching Penn State football since the early 1970s. Saturday was one of the most embarrassing displays of Penn State football that I have seen. No fire, no tackling - but a little mouthing off and hot dogging. About what, I am not quite sure. but I bet that is what led to the negative comments by former players. This team is not disciplined, makes too many mistakes, does not play smart, does not tackle, and seems to take the attitude - eh, we gave it a good try...another loss, oh well. Serious changes need to be made!
Perhaps it's just me, but #9 and #5 sure didn't look like they were happy with the loss. Many (though admittedly not all) of the problems you mention can be attributed to youth. JoePa always said he'd rather play a kid a year too late than a game too early...the old man kinda/sorta knew what he was talking about. In a perfect world, Franklin wouldn't want so much youth on the field at one time...probably why he's sticking longer with some of his inept upperclass OL...he trusts their experience more than he trusts the potential of his younger blue-chippers.

What serious changes would you make?

Penn State' perimeter Defense was terrible. Pitt attacked the perimeter just like Northwestern did last year. We need to work on reading keys and playing fundamental defense.

Talk about politically correct rephrasing, haha.

Let me say it as it was: Franklin did not have his team, YOUNG OR OTHERWISE, ready to play, and his team lost, because of it.

There, saved you 17 paragraphs.

The defense was not ready to play. Offense and special teams played well enough to win minus the turnovers and the kick return we gave up.

The defense was not ready to play. Offense and special teams played well enough to win minus the turnovers.
Wrong. Special teams gave up a 90 yard kickoff return that gave Pitt the winning touchdown. Franklin has still not addressed kickoff coverage units. Find 10 men who want to whip a block and make a tackle. Hint: #1 is not one of them.

Perhaps it's just me, but #9 and #5 sure didn't look like they were happy with the loss. Many (though admittedly not all) of the problems you mention can be attributed to youth. JoePa always said he'd rather play a kid a year too late than a game too early...the old man kinda/sorta knew what he was talking about. In a perfect world, Franklin wouldn't want so much youth on the field at one time...probably why he's sticking longer with some of his inept upperclass OL...he trusts their experience more than he trusts the potential of his younger blue-chippers.

70, 72, and 53 need to be off the field. This board hates that fact, and so do the other two boards, but it's a fact, and Franklin needs to decide on if 6-6 with them, or 5-7 or 4-8 without them, is the right trade off, because two of those three are gone next year and it's back to square one if he keeps running them out there.

I will add that Simmons and Brown need their shirts lifted. 33 and 43 looked like Williams and Benfatti yesterday.

70, 72, and 53 need to be off the field. This board hates that fact, and so do the other two boards, but it's a fact, and Franklin needs to decide on if 6-6 with them, or 5-7 or 4-8 without them, is the right trade off, because two of those three are gone next year and it's back to square one if he keeps running them out there.

I will add that Simmons and Brown need their shirts lifted. 33 and 43 looked like Williams and Benfatti yesterday.
Question for the board (and my apologies if already addressed and I missed it) - where is Sterling Jenkins on the depth chart? He's still young, but why hasn't he cracked the 2-deep yet?

Play the Freshman on the OLine (that's fairly obvious). Not sure what to do with the Defense. All the vet LBs seems hurt. But I might suggest gambling with one-on-one coverage on the corners and overloading the box.

I hear you on Joe and agree with your "perfect world" statement. But we do not have that luxury - Joe had stacked teams for mist of his career. I'd be happy of we tried something new wth personel and scheme and showed a little fire. With what I saw on the field Saturday, to continue to do the same is insanity. And Saturday was not the first game we were not prepared for...

I will agree with you on one part of your analysis: NO WAY they come back last year, last year that's a 21 point loss...Trace is special, I am a true believer in McSorely. If we just didn't spring a new leak every time we get a new asset...Great defense two years ago, no O line and bad system. Great system with great RB and QB that fits this year, but no linebackers and inconsistent D line. Great punter this year, but still no kickoff coverage...just hard to handle. I will admit, the frustration is hard to deal with. I blame O'Brien's lack of recruiting.

21 Guns - I part ways with you on "Trace is special." Trace is serviceable. Again, he does not have the tools to be special...and they are not going to magically fall from the sky. If he were Special, he MIGHT be able to run for his life and survive the season. Not sure that is even remotely possible. He will be lucky to survive the first Big Ten game. And that arm is scaring no one - below average at best.

So not a strong runner, not a big arm, average accuracy...what is Special?? Better get Stevens some series against Temple...gonna' be needed at some point soon. May even have some upside down the road...

21 Guns - I part ways with you on "Trace is special." Trace is serviceable. Again, he does not have the tools to be special...and they are not going to magically fall from the sky. If he were Special, he MIGHT be able to run for his life and survive the season. Not sure that is even remotely possible. He will be lucky to survive the first Big Ten game. And that arm is scaring no one - below average at best.

So not a strong runner, not a big arm, average accuracy...what is Special?? Better get Stevens some series against Temple...gonna' be needed at some point soon. May even have some upside down the road...

You are right. The kid looked terrible as he carved up GA (who had the No. 1 pass defense in the country) in the second half of the bowl game and clearly he can't pass as evidenced by his 67% completion percentage and 300 plus yards against Pitt. Could have swore I saw him dodge about 3 people just to get some positive yards on some plays last Saturday. I am also pretty sure he rushed for about 40 yards or so against both GA and Kent State. In case you don't know, that is pretty good running production from a QB. But he clearly has two left feet. We must be watching different games. The kid was recruited by several schools as an athlete and the testing numbers he put up last spring were impressive for a DB let alone a QB. But let's flush him. Leading a team to 39 points in his first start on the road just doesn't cut it, right? SMH.

Last edited:
You are right. The kid looked terrible as he carved up GA (who had the No. 1 pass defense in the country) in the second half of the bowl game and clearly he can't pass as evidenced by his 67% completion percentage and 300 plus yards against Pitt. Could have swore I saw him dodge about 3 people just to get some positive yards on some plays last Saturday. I am also pretty sure he rushed for about 40 yards or so against both GA and Kent State. In case you don't know, that is pretty good running production from a QB. But he clearly has two left feet. We must be watching different games. The kid was recruited by several schools as an athlete and the testing numbers he put up last spring were impressive for a DB let alone a QB. But let's flush him. Leading a team to 39 points in his first start on the road just doesn't cut it, right? SMH.

"Carved up" Georgia - did we win that game? Putting up points against Pitt? Their secondary is horredous. Revisit this after the Michigan game. And if he is still standing, after OSU? And I didn't say flush him - I said be ready with Plan B as his tools are not going to cut it against big-time competition. You are right about one thing IMO, he was recruited as an athlete (i.e. without position) - not a QB. Was Alabama recruiting him? FSU? Even VA Tech? Virginia. Nope - only good ole' perennial power Vanderbilt!

"Carved up" Georgia - did we win that game? Putting up points against Pitt? Their secondary is horredous. Revisit this after the Michigan game. And if he is still standing, after OSU? And I didn't say flush him - I said be ready with Plan B as his tools are not going to cut it against big-time competition. You are right about one thing IMO, he was recruited as an athlete (i.e. without position) - not a QB. Was Alabama recruiting him? FSU? Even VA Tech? Virginia. Nope - only good ole' perennial power Vanderbilt!

Kid's a winner, pure and simple. He knows how to win. I'll certainly give him more than a 3 point loss in his first road start before I conclude he doesn't have it. I really believe he's going to make you eat your words.

Reactions: DB2592
I am also on the Lions den but I enjoy your write ups each week, very solid. with respect to being outcoached I will just leave these two observations here:

The team was flat again at the start, flat. This is an ongoing problem, particularly for away noon starts. I am sure the staff must be aware of and track this trend. Sooner or later they are accountable as well as the team.

the throw at the end for all the marbles, who called that play? Clock management?

and a last observation or concern moving forward. The short passing game is excellent, he is accurate on all of his short throws and I think they could even find a rhythm picking apart teams with a hurry up short passing game. The run game is predictable. McSorley is not much of a running threat. It is Barkley or nothing. How about using an H back in motion from time to time or in one of our big games if close, install a power I with a Fullback ( yes, I know they don't have one ) and keep the defense honest. Two people in the backfield and one can't run makes for easy targeting.

Kid's a winner, pure and simple. He knows how to win. I'll certainly give him more than a 3 point loss in his first road start before I conclude he doesn't have it. I really believe he's going to make you eat your words.

I'd love to eat my words.

And I agree - the kid is a winner. But that was at the high school level. Penn State is a whole new level. By my eyes (and many others), he simply does not have the physical tools to do what needs to be done to win against Big Time competition. Exhibit A - He just QB'd a loss to Pitt (hint: not Big Time). How did he lose to Pitt? By making critical mistakes. Why? Probably three reasons: 1. Lack of experience; 2. Horrid Offensive Line Play; 3. Lack of skill set to consistently deliver at critical moments.

Doesn't mean he is a bad person or is not trying or is not a leader. But just that this is a whole other level of football and he very likely does not have the skill set to succeed at the level needed at Penn State.

Never booed a PSU kid in my life and certainly would not boo Trace. But just trying to be realistic.

I'd love to eat my words.

And I agree - the kid is a winner. But that was at the high school level. Penn State is a whole new level. By my eyes (and many others), he simply does not have the physical tools to do what needs to be done to win against Big Time competition. Exhibit A - He just QB'd a loss to Pitt (hint: not Big Time). How did he lose to Pitt? By making critical mistakes. Why? Probably three reasons: 1. Lack of experience; 2. Horrid Offensive Line Play; 3. Lack of skill set to consistently deliver at critical moments.

Doesn't mean he is a bad person or is not trying or is not a leader. But just that this is a whole other level of football and he very likely does not have the skill set to succeed at the level needed at Penn State.

Never booed a PSU kid in my life and certainly would not boo Trace. But just trying to be realistic.

i suspect a good chunk of the folks that agree with you are the same folks that fixate on things such as star rankings and height when evaluating a player as opposed to being able to analyze film on their own and know what to look for. Time will tell. I remember a lot of folks crapping all over Matt McGloin's ability and claiming he is simply not a D1 player. When all is said and done, he might have one of the longest NFL careers of any PSU QB.

i suspect a good chunk of the folks that agree with you are the same folks that fixate on things such as star rankings and height when evaluating a player as opposed to being able to analyze film on their own and know what to look for. Time will tell. I remember a lot of folks crapping all over Matt McGloin's ability and claiming he is simply not a D1 player. When all is said and done, he might have one of the longest NFL careers of any PSU QB.

As you said, time will tell. So far, we have an unimpressive win against lowly Kent State and a loss to Pitt. And the skill sets that I referred to were directly attributable to both.

As you said, time will tell. So far, we have an unimpressive win against lowly Kent State and a loss to Pitt. And the skill sets that I referred to were directly attributable to both.
You're way too hard on this young team in general and esp. on the QB. In his second game, he threw for more than 300 yards, and led an offense that scored 39 points. I suspect he and his coaches will work hard to help him cut down on mistakes and he can use the playmakers he has to move the ball.

Don't know if you recall, but our last QB, despite his strong points, was not good on short passes. McSorely does fine on those.

Reactions: joeparules
You're way too hard on this young team in general and esp. on the QB. In his second game, he threw for more than 300 yards, and led an offense that scored 39 points. I suspect he and his coaches will work hard to help him cut down on mistakes and he can use the playmakers he has to move the ball.

Don't know if you recall, but our last QB, despite his strong points, was not good on short passes. McSorely does fine on those.

I agree with everything you said. But I am not trying to be hard on TMc - just realistic. Let's not make Pitt out to be the Denver Broncos on defense. While I agree that work will be done to clean up mistakes and that might be evident against the Pitts and Temples and Akrons of the world, it will not cut it against the meat of our schedule.

As the competition levels rise, I suspect that the talent shortcomings will be further highlighted.

And remember, if nothing were to change, Penn State may be signing up to three years this level of play - slightly improving but with a very low ceiling. Acceptable? Perhaps to some, but not enough to fill a stadium of 107,000 people.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT