ADVERTISEMENT

Official National Signing Day Thread

The quality of this class is little different from three months ago. It's the other classes that improved.
The real quality of every schools class won't be known for 2-3 years.
We have closed with the four lowest rated players in the class. We just aren't in on the top players except those who have been all PSU from the start

Reactions: HunterPSU96
BTN is borderline disrespectful in their coverage of PSU signing. They emphasize the decommits not the signings.

Is it being disrespectful or simply reporting the bigger story surrounding PSU 2016 recruiting. I'm typically a glass is half full guy, but when I think back on this class, I will certainly think of Sanders, Menet, Simmons etc, but foremost probably remember the extraordinary number of decommits. Now saying that, we may be getting a taste of the future. This is the landscape in college recruiting.

Extraordinary? Either youre a drama queen or you don't follow recruiting
Only 3 were significant. Prtys, Dioubate, and Hill. Missing on Hamlin and Hudson were also blows. Overall still a lot of talent that will help this team nearly immediately.

Is it being disrespectful or simply reporting the bigger story surrounding PSU 2016 recruiting. I'm typically a glass is half full guy, but when I think back on this class, I will certainly think of Sanders, Menet, Simmons etc, but foremost probably remember the extraordinary number of decommits. Now saying that, we may be getting a taste of the future. This is the landscape in college recruiting.
I think they got a number of very high end recruits. Sanders, Simmons, and Menet are arguably the best at their position in the country. How every one of them isn't a 5 star player on rivals is typical for the way they treat PSU recruits. I'm surprised they didn't get one of Hamlin, hill, or ferns, but none of their decisions were really a surprise. Overall though, I I think if Sansers, Simmons and Menet were ranked on rivals as they should be people on this board would have a very different perspective on this class.

Reactions: Judge Smails
Only 3 were significant. Prtys, Dioubate, and Hill. Missing on Hamlin and Hudson were also blows. Overall still a lot of talent that will help this team nearly immediately.

"Only Three"...well, that's 15% of this class. Plus, we added nobody of significance for quite some time. While the class is respectable, things aren't trending well.

We have closed with the four lowest rated players in the class. We just aren't in on the top players except those who have been all PSU from the start

To your point, interesting watch Dabo Sweeney on ESPNU talking about how strong the Clemon brand is; so strong, in his opinion, that Clemson could seal the deal (and they did) with highly ranked prospects they were late to recruit. Looking forward to the day Franklin is able to close like that with the uncommitted 'big fish' late in the recruiting season.

Reactions: bmw199
Franklin up next on BTN

Just caught the most recent PSU segment on BTN (missed the one CJ was referring to) and actually thought they were quite positive in their praise- particularly in discussing the highest rated players

Incidentally, mcGovern(sp) looks like a beast in the highlights that were shown of him.

To your point, interesting watch Dabo Sweeney on ESPNU talking about how strong the Clemon brand is; so strong, in his opinion, that Clemson could seal the deal (and they did) with highly ranked prospects they were late to recruit. Looking forward to the day Franklin is able to close like that with the uncommitted 'big fish' late in the recruiting season.
You and me both.

"Only Three"...well, that's 15% of this class. Plus, we added nobody of significance for quite some time. While the class is respectable, things aren't trending well.

Not sure that one year is a trend. And I disagree with your "added nobody of significance" line. I think the 2 JC DTs will pay huge (pun intended) dividends this year, both from their performance but also from the fact that maybe we won't have to rush someone along who isn't ready and burn their shirt or force them to play a position that they're not suited to. We should now be able to have a serious rotation of legitimate FBS DTs. That was a real concern about 48 hours ago. So that is a big development, IMHO.

Not sure that one year is a trend. And I disagree with your "added nobody of significance" line. I think the 2 JC DTs will pay huge (pun intended) dividends this year, both from their performance but also from the fact that maybe we won't have to rush someone along who isn't ready and burn their shirt or force them to play a position that they're not suited to. We should now be able to have a serious rotation of legitimate FBS DTs. That was a real concern about 48 hours ago. So that is a big development, IMHO.
If chavis ends up being good enough to start he may have more of a positive impact on the team than any freshman next year.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
Finishing with a top 20 class when the team hasn't had a top 20 finish in years is an accomplishment. Franklin had a big job to do when he got here, and I think he's getting it done.
If you honestly expected more this soon you were deluding yourselves.

If chavis ends up being good enough to start he may have more of a positive impact on the team than any freshman next year.

I think you're right, with maybe the exception of the punter (can't remember his name for the life of me).

Except for Hill the ones we lost were the lowest rated in the class. Furthermore the ones we gained were at positions more needed than the ones we lost.
Not really, its not just decommits. replaced Hill with Johnson, Dioubate with Thrift, Nixon with Temple kid. Those are the late offers. Missed on Hudson, Ferns, and Hamlin with no other LBs signed.

Pryts committed to Stanford and I really call BS on him. To never officially decommit, it doesn't seem like something his family or him would have done. Good luck to him but I think it is a poor look.

Have to agree - thought Pryts and family were solid, but that's pretty low rent to bail on the eve of signing day...low f'n rent!

My only criticism, and it's one that a coach can only do so much about, is that we whiffed, and whiffed hard, on several top prospects in the region. I mean, not really in the conversation with these guys - Gary (NJ), Jones (MD), Hall (DC), and Taylor (VA) are five star talent (according to Rivals) we were never really in it with. My hope is that as we start to win, these guys will want to give us a look.

My only criticism, and it's one that a coach can only do so much about, is that we whiffed, and whiffed hard, on several top prospects in the region. I mean, not really in the conversation with these guys - Gary (NJ), Jones (MD), Hall (DC), and Taylor (VA) are five star talent (according to Rivals) we were never really in it with. My hope is that as we start to win, these guys will want to give us a look.
Looking ahead we are in it for those type guys in 17 and 18. The deal will be to win and sell the performance to them. I think it will happen

Looking ahead we are in it for those type guys in 17 and 18. The deal will be to win and sell the performance to them. I think it will happen

Yeah - the '17 class could be really, really special if things align for us. That includes beating some teams we've been losing to recently.

Yeah - the '17 class could be really, really special if things align for us. That includes beating some teams we've been losing to recently.
Must beat Pitt and Temple. Steal one of Iowa, UM, MSU, and OSU. I think that's something to sell. With a few breakthrough Freshman performances to sell playing time. Looking at Sanders and Juwan Johnson there.

3-tom-brady-stupid-golf-face.jpg

Not really, its not just decommits. replaced Hill with Johnson, Dioubate with Thrift, Nixon with Temple kid. Those are the late offers. Missed on Hudson, Ferns, and Hamlin with no other LBs signed.
The post i replies to was about the quality of the class three months ago as to the present.
Had nothing to do with offers that decided to go elsewhere.

Must beat Pitt and Temple. Steal one of Iowa, UM, MSU, and OSU. I think that's something to sell. With a few breakthrough Freshman performances to sell playing time. Looking at Sanders and Juwan Johnson there.
I agree.

The hell with Prytz and his old man. I'm not letting his last min switch ruin what is an epic 2016 haul. Myers and the rest better watch out because PSU is a sleeping giant poised to break out

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles

Audrey Snyder getting on my nerves....'thank you sir, may I have another?'....(also, how do you embed tweets so my posts don't look like pure garbage?)...

Audrey Snyder ‏@audsnyder4 26s26 seconds ago

Audrey Snyder Retweeted Adam Rittenberg

For sure. PSU just played highlights on a video board, did q&a with early enrollees. Not super engaging for fans.

Audrey Snyder added,
Adam Rittenberg @ESPNRittenberg
@audsnyder4 Right. Few programs have the national reach and ability to attract celebs like Michigan. Harbaugh huge help there.
0 retweets0 likes

Snelson has deleted a number of Minn retweets. Penn State ones remain. I know a lot of people think it's UCF, but not how I'm reading it. Would be my first one wrong today.

His last tweet that was about a different school was the 17th and since then 8 for Penn State.

Don't really agree - as you say, these prospects showed little interest in PSU from the start. Absurd to blame that on a coach as a "whiff" - a coach cannot force a prospect to have interest....that's just recruiting, some top prospects will have interest in your program and some just won't; it has doodley-squat to do with Franklin and his staff "whiffing".

Last edited:
Everyone at Flanagan High School (Snelson's school) is announcing at the same time. It's like 40 athletes. Snelson is last and while he was waiting retweeted a BSD article about him announcing.

Snelson has deleted a number of Minn retweets. Penn State ones remain. I know a lot of people think it's UCF, but not how I'm reading it. Would be my first one wrong today.

His last tweet that was about a different school was the 17th and since then 8 for Penn State.

Sorry but I think you read it wrong. :(

He would have been a really nice get...

Sorry but I think you read it wrong. :(

He would have been a really nice get...
Plenty of guys would be really nice gets.

Nothing but best wishes for him and UCF.

I think we need to break ourselves of getting all gloomy about losing guys to the likes of UCF. That is all.

Pryts committed to Stanford and I really call BS on him. To never officially decommit, it doesn't seem like something his family or him would have done. Good luck to him but I think it is a poor look.

He's a drama queen.

His family just wanted to stick it to PSU and he played along the whole time.

I hope his dad breaks his hip!!

:p:p:p:p

A major part of recruiting is based upon relationships with the staff. Franklin is building solid relationships, which is a positive foundation for the future.

Consider that, in addition to rebuilding from the sanctions, PSU needed to strengthen it's staff. Many fans were calling for changes on the offense, including the OL.

Now we have new coaches at OC and the OL, who came in late. Moorehead looks to be a big improvement on offense. But, staff transitions can impact recruiting. We can make gains on the field after the staff transition. But it can impact recruiting in the short run. When staff relationships change late in the process, that can impact recruiting. That may have happened to some extent this year.

Some similar relationship situations may have happened on defense, at least with Pryts. He had ties to the DC who is gone.

The good news is this newly upgraded staff has more good players moving up as starters and backups. So, while all transitions in staff can take time on the field, this group is starting with a better cupboard of talent than during the worst sanctions years. Depth is improving in most areas.

We were very lucky to have stability in staff during PSU's peak years. Now with some adjustments and upgrades in staffing, hopefully we are laying a foundation for further success on the field and with future years' recruits.

Now we have new coaches at OC and the OL, who came in late. Moorehead looks to be a big improvement on offense. But, staff transitions can impact recruiting. We can make gains on the field after the staff transition. But it can impact recruiting in the short run. When staff relationships change late in the process, that can impact recruiting. That may have happened to some extent this year.

Good point. I'll gladly take a one-time hit to recruiting (if indeed we did) to get rid of Donovan and Hand for the expected (hoped for?) payoff on the field in the coming seasons.

Reactions: T J and bmw199
A major part of recruiting is based upon relationships with the staff. Franklin is building solid relationships, which is a positive foundation for the future.

Consider that, in addition to rebuilding from the sanctions, PSU needed to strengthen it's staff. Many fans were calling for changes on the offense, including the OL.

Some similar relationship situations may have happened on defense, at least with Pryts. He had ties to the DC who is gone.

The good news is this newly upgraded staff has more good players moving up as starters and backups. So, while all transitions in staff can take time on the field, this group is starting with a better cupboard of talent than during the worst sanctions years. Depth is improving in most areas.

We were very lucky to have stability in staff during PSU's peak years. Now with some adjustments and upgrades in staffing, hopefully we are laying a foundation for further success on the field and with future years' recruits.

That kid pledged his loyalty to PSU AGAIN and AGAIN after our DC left.

There were pictures, twitter crap, all this 'I firm with my PSU commit' from him.

Screw him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT