ADVERTISEMENT

Official Penn State vs Michigan game thread!

A few things:

- Just realized that Mustipher's head seemed to be pushed backwards at a 90 degree angle on the final defensive play
- It appears that Thorpe helped "pull" Hamler a few extra inches on the game winning first down.

And the comment that will cause many amusement:
-Even Franklin mentioned Don Brown during his on-field postgame iterview. lol

Reactions: paws1957
We were fortunate to win this game. Fortunate to get Michigan in a hole early.

We let Michigan attack with their front 7 without making them pay. I get the idea of going long when it's one-on-one man coverage but we don't throw enough short passes over the middle. Running back screens are not in the offense probably because we've shown no evidence of being able to block them.

As a result, it's rather easy to stop our running game. The linebackers are not worried about pass protection. Freiermuth should have a field day over the middle -- 5 or 10 yards most times, 20+ on occasion to keep them honest. We should then be able to run at will.

I think we threw one short slant to Hamler, and it was successful.

Last week we had some quick passes off the RPO. They were executed perfectly and resulted in sizable gains. Today I don't recall seeing any. Instead, it looked like we wanted to spread Michigan wide but none of that was successful against Michigan's speed.

So I'm happy for the win but this one could have easily gone the other way, and needlessly. With the number of snaps Cain got I would have gone ballistic had we lost. Slade breaking free for a long run probably means we will have more running back by committee.

Well I feel great that we won but now I know that beating OSU is probably not going to happen and we’re a little further away than maybe we thought. If we would settle on Cain as the starter, I think this game would’ve been 35-14, because the defense can’t stay on the field that long and expect success against an upper level opponent.

we were further away from beating osu after the Michigan game in 2016. Osu is over a month away.
True, but we had Trace and Saquon then, this season we have Sean and no consistency at rb (by design!). If Franklin has not yet settled now at rb, it is doubtful he will in 4 weeks, unless we see injuries.

We were fortunate to win this game. Fortunate to get Michigan in a hole early.

We let Michigan attack with their front 7 without making them pay. I get the idea of going long when it's one-on-one man coverage but we don't throw enough short passes over the middle. Running back screens are not in the offense probably because we've shown no evidence of being able to block them.

As a result, it's rather easy to stop our running game. The linebackers are not worried about pass protection. Freiermuth should have a field day over the middle -- 5 or 10 yards most times, 20+ on occasion to keep them honest. We should then be able to run at will.

I think we threw one short slant to Hamler, and it was successful.

Last week we had some quick passes off the RPO. They were executed perfectly and resulted in sizable gains. Today I don't recall seeing any. Instead, it looked like we wanted to spread Michigan wide but none of that was successful against Michigan's speed.

So I'm happy for the win but this one could have easily gone the other way, and needlessly. With the number of snaps Cain got I would have gone ballistic had we lost. Slade breaking free for a long run probably means we will have more running back by committee.
Well if Clifford had been accurate with his throw to a wide open Freiermuth down the middle on third down, I think that may have changed things a little for the defense.

Reactions: NovaPSULuvr
Kinda happy I wasn’t on this board while I was enjoying the game. As I look back through these pages, I see so many negative messages and so much whining and bitching.
The TV guy hates us.
The officials screw us.
The coaching stinks
We aren’t as good as we should be.
OMG, it was a great game, very entertaining and the team everyone here follows WON.
Why would anyone care what the TV guy says? Really, who cares?
Calls go both ways. We have people posting here who believe PSU never deserves a penalty and the opponent - every opponent - should be flagged on every single play.
Complaint after complaint about play calling. It’s not the call, it’s the execution.
For me, this team is slightly better than I expected. First year QB, backs without much experience, mediocre offensive line, great front seven on D, secondary that tends to clutch and grab too much, pretty good special teams.
Anybody expecting this squad to be as good as OSU is fooling themselves. But it is a fun team to watch that is going to have a pretty darn good season.

ok so I can't decide if I hate this one certain thing about the game or love it

on Hamler's touchdown in the 4th quarter the defensive back literally gave up and started jogging before Hamler even caught the ball

as a football fan that just irks the crap out of me and if I were his coach he would be running.....a lot....

but then I realize that its that Metellus kid who said some stupid crap earlier in the week and I kind of get a nice laugh out of that so....I dunno.....

True, but we had Trace and Saquon then, this season we have Sean and no consistency at rb (by design!). If Franklin has not yet settled now at rb, it is doubtful he will in 4 weeks, unless we see injuries.

trace wasn’t trace and saquon wasn’t saquon then.

Absolutely brutal second half. At least they hung on.
Will we ever get beyond the four running back rotation this season?
TThe backs need to be whittled down to 2. Game flow, getting "into" the game helps you get into a rhythm. I be;ieve this and cannot understand why we play all 4 so much. Pick 2 and go for it.

Reactions: psu00 and tlbakernc
There’s nothing impressive at all on Don Brown’s resume.

Franklin mentioning him can be explained by the fact that Brown was the DC at Maryland when Franklin was the OC.

Reactions: paws1957
It was interesting to see Franklin hugging Khaleke Hudson after the game...most likely a result of the relationship built during Hudson's recruiting process...despite the fact that Hudson went elsewhere and was an opponent tonight

There’s nothing impressive at all on Don Brown’s resume.

Franklin mentioning him can be explained by the fact that Brown was the DC at Maryland when Franklin was the OC.
honestly could see it being Franklin poking fun at the whole Don Brown defense meme that the broadcasters fall into

Harbaugh is now 1-10 against to 10 teams. Mich has ND and OSU left to play. By seasons end Harbaugh very well may 1-12 against top 10 teams.

ok so I can't decide if I hate this one certain thing about the game or love it

on Hamler's touchdown in the 4th quarter the defensive back literally gave up and started jogging before Hamler even caught the ball

as a football fan that just irks the crap out of me and if I were his coach he would be running.....a lot....

but then I realize that its that Metellus kid who said some stupid crap earlier in the week and I kind of get a nice laugh out of that so....I dunno.....

Metellus is also the one Clifford hauled across the goal line on his rushing TD. Karma!

Where is that idiot Michigan player who was running his mouth earlier this week? He can kiss my a$$.
He is in the highlight reel!! You see him bail the minute Hamlet toasted his ass to make it 28-14. Of course he was trash talking after making a play, of course, they were down 21-7 at the time

now to get over the Sparty hump, then we can reset during bye for the final four game push

in reality, I see us probably in Rose Bowl at this point. Keeping up with Ohio St will be a tall order.

Reactions: PrtLng Lion
@Midnighter I suddenly feel the need for a drink called a "nail biter". You need to create such a cyber mixture. :)

LOL. I fell asleep at half time last night putting my daughter to bed. I checked my phone this morning to see who won before deciding whether or not to finish watching the game. I won't go back through this thread (I mean, I'm not that much of a masochist!) but am gonna finish watching now. Will have to get a Nail Biter queued up (hopefully never!) in the event of a 'next time'. For now, breakfast of champions; on first glance, seems like this the kind of game we maybe lose in the past:

giphy.gif

Kinda happy I wasn’t on this board while I was enjoying the game. As I look back through these pages, I see so many negative messages and so much whining and bitching.
The TV guy hates us.
The officials screw us.
The coaching stinks
We aren’t as good as we should be.
OMG, it was a great game, very entertaining and the team everyone here follows WON.
Why would anyone care what the TV guy says? Really, who cares?
Calls go both ways. We have people posting here who believe PSU never deserves a penalty and the opponent - every opponent - should be flagged on every single play.
Complaint after complaint about play calling. It’s not the call, it’s the execution.
For me, this team is slightly better than I expected. First year QB, backs without much experience, mediocre offensive line, great front seven on D, secondary that tends to clutch and grab too much, pretty good special teams.
Anybody expecting this squad to be as good as OSU is fooling themselves. But it is a fun team to watch that is going to have a pretty darn good season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT