ADVERTISEMENT

Official PSU - Auburn Whiteout Game Thread

And they didn't Review The Play!!! On Review, the booth Officials are supposed to mark the ball where it is when the whistle blows the play dead. As you state, replay clearly shows the ball is well past the 1st Down Mark (like more than a yard!) when the whistle is blown ending the play! The ball was marked a good 2-3 yards BEHIND where the ball was when the whistle actually sounds as replay CLEARLY demonstrates.
That was an absolute show of cheating, no other way to explain it.

Wow, what a game. I had to watch it on DVR since I was at a wedding, but I didn’t know the score so I was able to have a heart attack like everyone else. Clifford played really well. The officiating was absolutely criminal….this was beyond just missing a call or two, this was blatant. I didn’t know it was an SEC crew until after I watched and started reading this board, but I guessed it. Lovett is a freaking stud….he will be RB1 soon. Love the play calling except we got a little too cute a few times near the end zone. At that point, give the ball to Lovett. A great win and the SEC should be ashamed of themselves.
Did you still yell at the TV even though it was taped? Certainly wouldn't blame you one bit! :););)

Reactions: creamery freak
Statement from the SEC on the missed down where PSU was forced to punt on 3rd down:

“At 11:45 in the 2nd quarter, Penn State throws an incomplete pass that was judged to be Intentional Grounding. The crew’s enforcement of the penalty erroneously set the down to 3rd; the correct down should have been 2nd. The replay booth was consulted to confirm the down prior to the punt. The replay booth had the down as 4th down as well.

The error was discovered during the media timeout that followed the punt and by rule it could not be corrected at that time."

Credit to BWI’s Greg Pickel for getting that.

Between that play and the debacle in the Miss State-Memphis game, the conference may not have enough officials to work next week's games. Both of those crews should be suspended a week for today's stupidity.

Statement from the SEC on the missed down where PSU was forced to punt on 3rd down:

“At 11:45 in the 2nd quarter, Penn State throws an incomplete pass that was judged to be Intentional Grounding. The crew’s enforcement of the penalty erroneously set the down to 3rd; the correct down should have been 2nd. The replay booth was consulted to confirm the down prior to the punt. The replay booth had the down as 4th down as well.

The error was discovered during the media timeout that followed the punt and by rule it could not be corrected at that time."

Credit to BWI’s Greg Pickel for getting that.

Gee, you think you could get them to explain how Intentional Grounding that CLEARLY wasn't by rule (on several rule criterias) was called a penalty, but later in the game, BLATANT Intentional Grounding by Nix (as confirmed by video - which is a "Reviewable Play" by the Review Booth) was not only ignored, but not reviewed either???

Gee, one would expect that such egregious officiating error AND terrible behavior/game-management when the correct party attempted to show them the error of their ways on a rather simple and basic matter would come with some type of punishment or sanction, wouldn't you?

Didn't have time to go through all 30 pages of this thread so maybe already mentioned, but in the first half I counted at least half a dozen times that the linesman on Penn State side of the field marked our guys at least a visible half yard or more shorter than we actually gained. He also would Mark Auburn players at least a visible half yard or more longer than they gained as they went out along the sideline. It continued in the second half to where they were at least 10 more total plays where he had marked them longer than they actually gained or Penn State shorter than they actually gained. Did anybody record the game so that they can go back and actually look at his spots each time?

Gee, one would expect that such egregious officiating error AND terrible behavior/game-management when the correct party attempted to show them the error of their ways on a rather simple and basic matter would come with some type of punishment or sanction, wouldn't you?
No, in the sec "if you are not cheating, you are not trying." It must be a southern culture thing.

Didn't have time to go through all 30 pages of this thread so maybe already mentioned, but in the first half I counted at least half a dozen times that the linesman on Penn State side of the field marked our guys at least a visible half yard or more shorter than we actually gained. He also would Mark Auburn players at least a visible half yard or more longer than they gained as they went out along the sideline. It continued in the second half to where they were at least 10 more total plays where he had marked them longer than they actually gained or Penn State shorter than they actually gained. Did anybody record the game so that they can go back and actually look at his spots each time?
I agree. Numerous times. By the way, did anyone read JF’s lips as he celebrated leaving the sideline and headset behind? Looked as if he were quoting Bill O’Brien.

I’m sure it’s all just a misunderstanding.

I was calling it the “One yard Penn St” penalty pretty frequently. It’s a shame

Reactions: bison13

How about the mark on Auburn's last scoring drive where the Auburn receiver caught a little dunk pass underneath the coverage on 2nd down..... the Auburn player then ran backwards in an attempt to get around the defender before any contact was ever made and then was promptly tackled at that point.... The corrupt SEC Crew marked him 3rd-&-1 giving him forward progress to point where he caught the ball despite the receiver never having been touched by a defender and ran backwards voluntarily trying to evade the defender??? Literally should have been 3rd-&-3 or 4 and they marked him inside a yard of the line to gain!!!

Joey Porter Jr. was robbed. That ball was dislodged by whomever got a hand on it and the Auburn player was trying to resecure it before he hit the ground.

Reactions: Midnighter2
Joey Porter Jr. was robbed. That ball was dislodged by whomever got a hand on it and the Auburn player was trying to resecure it before he hit the ground.
I agree with you. It was at the very least questionable enough to not overturn the call. Maybe the worst part of it is the announcers not bothering to take a critical look at the replay to acknowledge the possibility. I was happy to not be able to hear the announcers over the crowd noise most of the night.

All 8 game officials should see discipline. Seriously? 8 of them, and not 1 was with it enough to say "ummm, why are we saying it's 4th down when it's only 3rd down?"
I’ve seen officials dropped from the BiG roster in a different sport for this level of error. Probably just demotions to lower level games for this football crew, for years.

Reactions: Madsol
I agree with you. It was at the very least questionable enough to not overturn the call. Maybe the worst part of it is the announcers not bothering to take a critical look at the replay to acknowledge the possibility. I was happy to not be able to hear the announcers over the crowd noise most of the night.
Herbie had that as not a fumble before the replay….he was on it. I’m usually okay with Herbie, but he was ridiculous last night about Auburn.

Herbie had that as not a fumble before the replay….he was on it. I’m usually okay with Herbie, but he was ridiculous last night about Auburn.

He was like, ‘Okay - good job - now get back to the line of scrimmage and stop the clock - ok good- now you have time to get set for the next play.’

I’ve seen officials dropped from the BiG roster in a different sport for this level of error. Probably just demotions to lower level games for this football crew, for years.

I mean let's be serious - how hard is it for replay to run the video back to the start of the series.... and count 2 plays???? Yet the SEC's absurd statement says their Field Referee confirmed it with the Replay Booth before making his absurd announcement on National TV.

“We’ll enjoy this win tonight, and then it’s back to work tomorrow.”

Come on, guys. It’s tomorrow. Enough about auburn. Time to work. We need to focus now on Villanova or the team will never be ready next Saturday.

Come on, guys. It’s tomorrow. Enough about auburn. Time to work. We need to focus now on Villanova or the team will never be ready next Saturday.
Hopefully we will be ready for Nova on this board…we better not get caught overlooking them.

Did we ever really prepare for Ball State?

Well Bob I think we should petition the BIG to allow that SEC crew to ref the Michigan/OSU game this year. I'm sure that PSU fans would put up the money as a free gift to the BIG.

Well Bob I think we should petition the BIG to allow that SEC crew to ref the Michigan/OSU game this year. I'm sure that PSU fans would put up the money as a free gift to the BIG.
They would likely call a good game because they don’t have line to cheat for in that one.

Not looking at things critically bothers me as well. That ball was moving and they won’t even look at it. How you don’t question whether he secured it before being grounded misses the entire point.

ADVERTISEMENT