ADVERTISEMENT

Official PSU - Ohio State Game Thread

Their qb literally didn’t have a completion more than 10 yards down the field. Everything was screens and tosses out wide yet it’s like we didn’t realize that on the last couple drives. Blitzing a team that you know is going to throw a screen is a big play waiting to happen

Coaching on both sides was strange as hell. Glad to come out with a victory but Penn St had this game won easy. This was one of the weirdest games I have ever seen. Like each team was playing against themselves instead of against each other. Tough one
Well said.

Reactions: psu7113
For me, the biggest play in the whole game was the stoppage to say the play was short. No shit. Allowed OSU to sub out. Convert there and who knows. Sure, you can point to a lot of plays but at least the players decided the plays. I’ve never seen such nonsense.

Reactions: wex18
The horrible thing is that the whole night recruits are in a once-in-a-lifetime environment. We had that part of the battle won, then they witness that from our staff. Ugh.

Even if they saw something like the middle opening up and decided that was the best play, they did not consider the optics of failure if it did not work. It was a heck of a gamble that gives you no option if a defender happens to get in the right gap. Took the ball away from the guy who made plays all night. Ugh again.

We’re just not there yet on the DL and LB. Need more experience and talent. OSU has studs everywhere and you can tell - they’re big and fast

I would’ve thrown to the TE. With Hamler knocked out of the game, he is our best weapon. The drops cost us the game, not the last play but the drops. It’s evident the staff has little confidence in the WRS, so they thought Miles was their best option. Let’s also not forget the targeting penalty that eliminated one of her best d-lineman.

It was a horrible call. A lot of coaches would feel heat for a call like that. A few would be fired.

Getting constantly burned on screens is on the coaches. The screen to Dobbins most likely won them the game. Can't have them pinned inside the 5 and give up 40 on a screen.
Helps when they] O line can hold on it---in the end zone..... But that's rarely called.

I wonder what went through Trace's mind when he heard that play called? "WTF coach. You serious?"

If that's your belief, the coaches can never lose the game, because the players should've just executed better. The first half Stevens crap was a disaster and they refused to accept it for way too long. The fourth down play calls were atrocious. Yes, the players failed to make some plays, no doubt. But that happens every game. They played well enough to win. The coaches took points away from them. And this is the third time it's happened in big games. At some point it isn't just a coincidence, but something to be concerned about with Franklin.

Polk’s drop, Johnson’s drop, Reid missed tackle on the TD, TCF’s missed tackle which led to a TD, a missed FG, a RB tripping over his feet instead of getting a first down and so forth and so on. None of that was the coaching staff. The staff made a terrible play call on 4th and 5. Other than that they did a pretty good job of getting kids in position to make plays. They didn’t.

Reactions: Cold Smoke
How many games have we GIVEN away in the fourth quarter by our coaching decisions?

How many points did we leave on the field tonight?

I hope the coaching staff apologizes to the team and then gives them the next week off.

Recruits? They’re gonna be laughing their ass off at the final play call. Heck, ANYONE between 8 and 80, blind crippled or crazy is out there laughing their ass off.
So we lost by one point to a team that was better than us in terms of talent. If they’re laughing, we don’t want them anyway .

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
Two years in a row the D lays down in the fourth quarter. Two years in a row the O can’t bail them out.

And that fourth down play call was completely moronic. I posted earlier about trusting the coaches but I’m not so sure after that. No way I’d do anything other than leave it in Trace’s hands.

Just a few tackles, and this was in the books. Some poor decision making by the coaching staff all around in the 4th quarter didn't help.

Our TB should have kept his original # and focus and won this game for us. He was a no show.

Reactions: Omar81
I actually was surprised with how well the DL played. The young LBs need experience, the talent is there. I think the DL is sufficient, not great. Secondary had some poor tackling TCF and Reid with some bad misses leading to TDs

Reactions: Grass
We’re just not there yet on the DL and LB. Need more experience and talent. OSU has studs everywhere and you can tell - they’re big and fast

Lmao. These words were never uttered with LJ senior and vanderlinden in the building. Half the defense plays like excrement when it matters for the past 4-5 years. That’s on numbnuts Pry and company.

The only thing that can possibly explain that fourth-down call, was that it was a read option and Trace made the decision to give it to Sanders. I saw them talking on the sidelines afterward and I wonder if that's what they were discussing.

I feel bad for Trace. He deserved better efforts from his teammates and his coaching staff. That is all I am gonna say.

I’m going to stand up for the play call here.

Rewatch it in slow motion, if 71 blocks #2, Sanders walks to the end zone. 7 of Ohio States players were on the left side of the line. Trace ran the RPO and made the right call, if he holds it, he has no time to pass or run. Ohio States stunt with #2 could not have been executed any more perfectly.

I think the coaches outsmarted themselves thinking OSU would target Trace. Still no excuses for that. You live and die with Trace

On the screen pass from the 4, number 66 in white had two handfulls of the d lineman and threw him to the ground at the goal line. WTF was that? No call and a fourty yard run. SMH. Zebras swallowed their whistles

Reactions: NittanyChris
I would’ve thrown to the TE. With Hamler knocked out of the game, he is our best weapon. The drops cost us the game, not the last play but the drops. It’s evident the staff has little confidence in the WRS, so they thought Miles was their best option. Let’s also not forget the targeting penalty that eliminated one of her best d-lineman.

It was a horrible call. A lot of coaches would feel heat for a call like that. A few would be fired.
I agree it was a bad call and I would’ve thrown to the tight end, but we were only in this position because of the drops in key situations earlier in the game. God, if you told me we had 500 total yards of offense and held Ohio state under 30 points, I would expect a two touchdown victory.

If that's your belief, the coaches can never lose the game, because the players should've just executed better. The first half Stevens crap was a disaster and they refused to accept it for way too long. The fourth down play calls were atrocious. Yes, the players failed to make some plays, no doubt. But that happens every game. They played well enough to win. The coaches took points away from them. And this is the third time it's happened in big games. At some point it isn't just a coincidence, but something to be concerned about with Franklin.

Ahhh, I see... you’re saying that the players should have run faster*

Disagree

He DL and LBs played lights out.

This game was lost by The :

WRs
Coaches
Menet
Trace

Hard to win a game when you convert 4 third Downs drop 5 passes including one in the end zone and miss a field goal against an elite team... Bottom line
True but Franklin has lost a lot of big games with Q4 leads. In the early days MD, ILL, & NW. Recently USC and OSU twice. It defies the law of averages.

Polk’s drop, Johnson’s drop, Reid missed tackle on the TD, TCF’s missed tackle which led to a TD, a missed FG, a RB tripping over his feet instead of getting a first down and so forth and so on. None of that was the coaching staff. The staff made a terrible play call on 4th and 5. Other than that they did a pretty good job of getting kids in position to make plays. They didn’t.
The last offensive play call was the worst I’ve ever seen. But stil not bad enough to make me forget the bullshit play call to Tommy Stevens in the first quarter when we had first down at the OSU 17. That deserves its own spot in the moronic playcall hall of fame. And constantly getting caught in blitzes on screen passes is hardly “a pretty good job of getting kids in position to make plays” — unless you mean the Ohio State kids.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT