ADVERTISEMENT

Official Transfer Portal Thread

I believe you nailed it pretty well.

I thought Monroe looked quick and played well when I saw him, but that was mainly B/W games and obviously I didn't see him practice. But he seemed to never make a move up the depth chart, like some of the others. And with Brisker and at least one top true freshman that likely expect to play he would have had his work cut out for him to see real significant playing time as a 5th year Senior.

Pretty much the same for McPherson. Sure he was maybe 4th when you look at just returning players with experience. But Gordon is highly regarded and with the CB's coming in as true freshmen it seems that he could more than likely have been pushed further down, rather than moving up, the depth chart..........

Here's the rub. You're assuming that Brisker, or any other recruit at the position, is better than the guys who are departing. Maybe, maybe not. But as fans we do that and it doesn't matter.

The risk comes when the coaches do that. Of course, that's what they're paid to do . But keep in mind, that those very same coaches thought much the same thing of the guys to whom they are saying goodbye when they recruited them.

Here's the rub. You're assuming that Brisker, or any other recruit at the position, is better than the guys who are departing. Maybe, maybe not. But as fans we do that and it doesn't matter.

The risk comes when the coaches do that. Of course, that's what they're paid to do . But keep in mind, that those very same coaches thought much the same thing of the guys to whom they are saying goodbye when they recruited them.

Agree and Disagree.....the guys that are leaving were brought in to replace guys that were recruited during the sanction years. Not to hard to find someone that is better than them.

Agree and Disagree.....the guys that are leaving were brought in to replace guys that were recruited during the sanction years. Not to hard to find someone that is better than them.

The last class recruited under sanctions was 2014 and all of them have exhausted eligibility.

Last year Michigan had 7 transfers, so it’s not unheard of. Save for Johnson and Polk most of the transfers either played very little or were special teamers. I’m not a recruiting guru, but here’s my take on the transfers. Please correct any errors. Most of the transfers are understandable:

Wade - A lot of people say Wade was going to compete for a starting safety spot, but if that were the case I think we would have seen him play more than he did this year. Fact is Wade has Sutherland, Taylor, incoming 4 star Tyler Rudolph and incoming JUCO player Brisker to compete against. When he did get to play he appeared to be slow to the play, but the kid can tackle. I’m not too sure, however, that he has the speed for this level.

Ayron Monroe is set to graduate in the spring and had a chance to compete for a staring spot. After spending his whole college career at Penn State he now looks to transfer for one season - this one is perplexing.

Gellerstedt- Buried on depth chart.

Dalton - Buried on delth chart.

Polk - Passed up by true freshman. Played less and less as the year went on. I think he saw the writing on the wall.

Johnson - Big physical specimen but his numbers aren’t impressive. Has one more year left and clearly feels he’s not going to get the chance at Penn State to have the breakout season that I think he’s looking for.

Jenkins - Never able to crack the rotation. Unlikely to do so at this point so why not give it a go elsewhere?

Darien - Family issues.

Faison-Walden - He’s been buried on the depth chart. Maybe doesn’t see a lot of opportunity to play? Most of the backers are young and five star Smith and four star Dixon will be freshman next year and added to the mix.

McPherson - Junior last year with sophomore eligibility. Don’t get this one either. Maybe didn’t see much opportunity to play though from what I’ve read he was moving up the depth chart.

I agree with much of that. I was just listing the numbers for comparison since others (in 1 of the other portal threads I think) said this was just the norm now since PSU is now among the ‘elite’ of football. That’s why I listed the main big ten teams and Clemson/ Bama/ Georgia.

Last edited:
The last class recruited under sanctions was 2014 and all of them have exhausted eligibility.

Which is why he said the guys that are leaving were brought in to replace the guys recruited during the sanctions years.

Head coach left.
Team said they were not pursuing any other Q’s.
I’ve been pampered all my life and had smoke blown up my ass that I am the greatest, so I just deserve it.

OL
In other words, they’ll reward Martell and punish OSU for the way they handled the situation...only to turn around and reward them with Fields. Makes a lot of sense.

Didn't know that Martell to Miami was now "official".

Anyone wanna' take odds now on the likelihood of Fields being declared a "hardship case" and getting immediate eligibility?
If he doesn't, OSU may be looking at a 7-5 season :)

I predict Fields will not get a hardship waiver for UGA being a hostile environment. He will, however, get a waiver for the hardship for OSU if he has to sit out.

(Yes, TIC in case anyone wasn't sure!)

Last edited:
I have two sons who are lawyers and big sports fans so I will ask for them. Does the portal accept ads for hardship lawyers? If not, how can these poor souls get proper legal council?
Yes, this is TIC, except the part of the two sons being lawyers.

I'm pretty sure that at one time he was in a CFL camp, so that would rule out playing any more college football (I would think. I would assume that means he would have been paid something to be there).

Hopefully he IS in school and closing in on a meaningful degree.
He likely got paid less than the SEC going rate.

This will get changed. Not sure what they’ll do, but coaches are going to be lighting up the NCAA.

It's a net negative for the Big Dogs. The 3rd and 4th stringers are leaving the big programs, and except for some high profile QBs, most of them are leaving to get playing time at smaller programs. They have no incentive to go to another football power and be in the same situation.

Reactions: Lion Lineage
Upshur was a 4 star TE out of Philly that was considered a fairly big recruiting loss for PSU at the time. Interesting.
Noticing a trend with the guys in the portal Judge? Most even at other schools were guys who were there 2-3 years and didn't make a huge impact. This is like basically free agency for teams who really need depth in a certain area and singing a journeymen as a stop gap.

Reactions: bmw199
Noticing a trend with the guys in the portal Judge? Most even at other schools were guys who were there 2-3 years and didn't make a huge impact. This is like basically free agency for teams who really need depth in a certain area and singing a journeymen as a stop gap.

That's what it is right now; this is basically year one of the portal, right? Not saying it will happen, but you could easily see more high profile players looking to move for whatever reason in the future.

Oh, it's a shitshow. The next thing to watch for is if the NCAA gives out waivers like candy. If they do, you're going to have recruiting never stop. You have a talented recruit who comes in and doesn't get enough snaps as a freshman, he'll have college coaches texting him non stop telling him they would be playing at their school. That should work out great.

iu

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Oh, it's a shitshow. The next thing to watch for is if the NCAA gives out waivers like candy. If they do, you're going to have recruiting never stop. You have a talented recruit who comes in and doesn't get enough snaps as a freshman, he'll have college coaches texting him non stop telling him they would be playing at their school. That should work out great.
Death of college football. What coach would want to stay in the game and deal with that?

https://247sports.com/Article/NCAA-transfer-portal-names-players-destina...

Quarterback

Kelly Bryant, Clemson - Missouri
Justin Fields, Georgia - Ohio State
Ben Hicks, SMU - Arkansas
John Langan, Boston College - Rutgers
Devon Modster, UCLA - California
Riley Neal, Ball State - Vanderbilt
Shawn Robinson, TCU - Missouri
Jordan Travis, Louisville - Florida State
Jack Tuttle, Utah - Indiana
Brandon Wimbush, Notre Dame - UCF
Alex Delton, Kansas State - TCU
Tate Martell, Ohio State - Miami
Jalen Hurts, Alabama - Oklahoma

Undecided

Ross Bowers, Cal
Austin Kendall, Oklahoma
Ty Storey, Arkansas
Cameron Rising, Texas
Casey Thompson, Texas
Braxton Burmeister, Oregon
Chance Amie, Syracuse

Running Back

James Gilbert, Ball State - Kansas State
Trey Sneed, Rutgers - Fordham
Asa Martin, Auburn - Miami
Toneil Carter, Texas - Sam Houston State

Undecided

Greg Bell, Nebraska
Riley Burt, BYU
Mitch McNutt, Illinois
Craig Nelson, Indiana
Amir Rasul, Florida State
Trey Smith, Louisville
Charles Strong, Texas A&M

Wide Receiver

A.D. Miller, Oklahoma - Illinois
K.J. Osborn, Buffalo - Miami
Nate Craig-Myers, Auburn - Colorado State

Undecided

Lawrence Cager, Miami
Irvin Charles, Penn State
Charlie Fessler, Northwestern
Benaiah Franklin, Purdue
Carmoni Green, Illinois
Justin McGriff, Nebraska
Keith Mixon, Mississippi State
Sean Savoy, Virginia Tech
Montel Parker, Texas A&M
Juwan Johnson, Penn State
George Campbell, Florida State
Griffin King, Auburn

Tight End

Tyler Davis, UConn - Georgia Tech
Luke Ford, Georgia - Illinois
Jalen Harris, Auburn - Colorado

Undecided

Danny Dalton, Penn State
Austin Dorris, Indiana
Lou Dorsey, Illinois
Branden Hohenstein, Nebraska
Christian Roberson, Mississippi State
Eli Wolf, Tennessee
Naseir Upshur, Florida State

Offensive Line

Nathan Eldridge, Arizona - Oregon State
Tommy Kennedy, Butler - Miami

Undecided

Alex Gellerstedt, Penn State
Zeke Martin, Illinois
RJ Proctor, Virginia
Drew Richmond, Tennessee
Reuben Unije, Illinois
T.J. McCoy, Florida

Defensive Line

Darrion Daniels, Oklahoma State - Nebraska
Miles Fox, Old Dominion - Wake Forest
Cameron Goode, Virginia Tech - UCF
Aubrey Solomon, Michigan - Tennessee

Undecided

Malik Barrow Ohio State
Trevon Hill, Virginia Tech
Daviyon Nixon, Iowa
Jauntavius Johnson, Auburn

Linebacker

Drew Singleton, Michigan - Rutgers
Aundre Kearney, Virginia Tech - UCF
Levi Jones, USC - NC State
Jonathan Greenard, Louisville - Florida

Undecided

Oluwole Betiku Jr., USC
Dae'Lun Darien, Penn State
Aaron Mends, Iowa
Jaelan Phillips, UCLA
Guy Thomas, Nebraska
Kam Jones, Louisville
Nadarius Fagan, Syracuse

Defensive Back

Bubba Bolden, USC - Miami
Isaiah Humphries, Penn State - Cal
Jordan Hayes, Duke - UCF

Undecided

Jarius Adams, Rutgers
Trey Creamer, Iowa
Zaire Jones, Vanderbilt
Qwuantrezz Knight, Maryland
Jack Leius, Minnesota
Marcus Lewis, Maryland
Bennett Williams, Illinois
Jordan Moore, Texas A&M
Ayron Monroe, Penn State
Cameron Watkins, Illinois
Spencer Perry, South Alabama (former Notre Dame player)
Lamont Wade, Penn State
Nate Dalton, Arkansas

Penn State has had more players enter the portal than perhaps any other school.

Fans are losing their damn minds.

I get it, I really do. One of the biggest things that makes a team good is not just having 4- and 5-star players as the starters, but also having them as the backups. On special teams. On the scout team. Losing a bunch of good - if not starting - players hurts the depth of the team.

Give all credit to the amazing job recruiting that Franklin has done.

Under Franklin, recruiting has improved exponentially. From 2014 (when he had just a month to complete a class) to 2019, his classes have ranked #24, #14, #20, #15, #6, and currently #11 (still with room for additions). Those classes have included, respectively: 5, 13, 8, 11, 15, and 17 blue-chip players (still with room for additions).

This massive uptick in blue-chip recruiting has meant that the earlier classes - the juniors and seniors in the program - are now being challenged heavily by younger, more talented classes. Kids that have been waiting their turn on the depth chart are looking at the fact that they may never start, and are at least taking a look to see if there are greener pastures.

https://247sports.com/Article/NCAA-transfer-portal-names-players-destina...

Quarterback

Kelly Bryant, Clemson - Missouri
Justin Fields, Georgia - Ohio State
Ben Hicks, SMU - Arkansas
John Langan, Boston College - Rutgers
Devon Modster, UCLA - California
Riley Neal, Ball State - Vanderbilt
Shawn Robinson, TCU - Missouri
Jordan Travis, Louisville - Florida State
Jack Tuttle, Utah - Indiana
Brandon Wimbush, Notre Dame - UCF
Alex Delton, Kansas State - TCU
Tate Martell, Ohio State - Miami
Jalen Hurts, Alabama - Oklahoma

Undecided

Ross Bowers, Cal
Austin Kendall, Oklahoma
Ty Storey, Arkansas
Cameron Rising, Texas
Casey Thompson, Texas
Braxton Burmeister, Oregon
Chance Amie, Syracuse

Running Back

James Gilbert, Ball State - Kansas State
Trey Sneed, Rutgers - Fordham
Asa Martin, Auburn - Miami
Toneil Carter, Texas - Sam Houston State

Undecided

Greg Bell, Nebraska
Riley Burt, BYU
Mitch McNutt, Illinois
Craig Nelson, Indiana
Amir Rasul, Florida State
Trey Smith, Louisville
Charles Strong, Texas A&M

Wide Receiver

A.D. Miller, Oklahoma - Illinois
K.J. Osborn, Buffalo - Miami
Nate Craig-Myers, Auburn - Colorado State

Undecided

Lawrence Cager, Miami
Irvin Charles, Penn State
Charlie Fessler, Northwestern
Benaiah Franklin, Purdue
Carmoni Green, Illinois
Justin McGriff, Nebraska
Keith Mixon, Mississippi State
Sean Savoy, Virginia Tech
Montel Parker, Texas A&M
Juwan Johnson, Penn State
George Campbell, Florida State
Griffin King, Auburn

Tight End

Tyler Davis, UConn - Georgia Tech
Luke Ford, Georgia - Illinois
Jalen Harris, Auburn - Colorado

Undecided

Danny Dalton, Penn State
Austin Dorris, Indiana
Lou Dorsey, Illinois
Branden Hohenstein, Nebraska
Christian Roberson, Mississippi State
Eli Wolf, Tennessee
Naseir Upshur, Florida State

Offensive Line

Nathan Eldridge, Arizona - Oregon State
Tommy Kennedy, Butler - Miami

Undecided

Alex Gellerstedt, Penn State
Zeke Martin, Illinois
RJ Proctor, Virginia
Drew Richmond, Tennessee
Reuben Unije, Illinois
T.J. McCoy, Florida

Defensive Line

Darrion Daniels, Oklahoma State - Nebraska
Miles Fox, Old Dominion - Wake Forest
Cameron Goode, Virginia Tech - UCF
Aubrey Solomon, Michigan - Tennessee

Undecided

Malik Barrow Ohio State
Trevon Hill, Virginia Tech
Daviyon Nixon, Iowa
Jauntavius Johnson, Auburn

Linebacker

Drew Singleton, Michigan - Rutgers
Aundre Kearney, Virginia Tech - UCF
Levi Jones, USC - NC State
Jonathan Greenard, Louisville - Florida

Undecided

Oluwole Betiku Jr., USC
Dae'Lun Darien, Penn State
Aaron Mends, Iowa
Jaelan Phillips, UCLA
Guy Thomas, Nebraska
Kam Jones, Louisville
Nadarius Fagan, Syracuse

Defensive Back

Bubba Bolden, USC - Miami
Isaiah Humphries, Penn State - Cal
Jordan Hayes, Duke - UCF

Undecided

Jarius Adams, Rutgers
Trey Creamer, Iowa
Zaire Jones, Vanderbilt
Qwuantrezz Knight, Maryland
Jack Leius, Minnesota
Marcus Lewis, Maryland
Bennett Williams, Illinois
Jordan Moore, Texas A&M
Ayron Monroe, Penn State
Cameron Watkins, Illinois
Spencer Perry, South Alabama (former Notre Dame player)
Lamont Wade, Penn State
Nate Dalton, Arkansas

Wow....not sure the NCAA or anyone else expected this kind of volume. Perhaps it is because of the pent up need. In other words, next year's portal will contain just one-year's pent up demand. Regardless, this will create a lot of evaluation and recruiting work for our (and every other) college football staff. Heck, you can field a pretty darn good team by forgetting the recruiting of high school players and just pick kids off out of the portal.

Weill be interesting to watch how this matures.

Last edited:
Reactions: psu00
Upshur was a 4 star TE out of Philly that was considered a fairly big recruiting loss for PSU at the time. Interesting.

It is interesting. Can't remember what year he came out of H.S. or if he could be a Grad Transfer. But looking at PSU's TE roster, PSU is about the last team a TE would transfer to. Unless he just wanted to be close to home and go to a bowl game next Season.

At least we don't seem to be setting up to get the depth swept away at any position as bad as the Texas QB situation, if those 2 both leave.

Really, what position could a grad transfer, a 2nd or 3 team player at a top program, come to PSU and expect to see the field?

Maybe get in the DL rotation, for a mature Dlinemen.

OL - in many cases there are limited OL subs and 2nd team sits the bench with the 3rd team.

Last edited:
Seeing Irv Charles on the list, I'd love for CJF to bring him back onto the team for another swing. The kid is a physical freak and the WR group could use a little experience. And mainly, he was a wrecking ball on special teams, the area of the team that needs the biggest jump in performance to get to "elite"....

Reactions: step.eng69

I think this is going to be proven incorrect. There are going to be more kids in the portal than there will be spots left to land. Transfers count toward the annual recruiting count (25). If there are 1600 names in the portal, that's 13 per school. How many schools can take 13 more kids? And how many of those spots are going to high school kids? A lot of these kids will have to return to their current schools -- if they still have a spot. Or drop down a level.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT