ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State vs Oregon

Day is a veteran coach who makes millions and has one of the top coaching jobs in the country. It is his job to know clock management and its intricacies. Online his seat is getting warm. A loss to Penn State and it will get much warmer.

I read that someone said, "Two years ago he was born on third base and thought he hit a triple. Today he is still on third base".
Yes. Day has a team that is very well resourced and very talented. He recruits very well. He wins when he has a big talent edge on the opponent (which is often). Day generally does not win the big games against an opponent who has as much or nearly as much talent as he has. Personally, I think Day is a great recruiter, runs a scandal-free program, but is not a good game coach. Are standards high for an OSU football coach? Yes. But he knew that when he took the job. It probably can be hard on one's mental health. I think Urban Meyer discovered that.

IMO, a 9-3 Georgia is not going to be the 5th SEC Team in the playoffs over all 6 of the teams mentioned above. Cutting out 2 ACC teams (especially when one is Clemson) + ND, each with less losses than Georgia, to give the SEC 5 teams in the playoffs is not going to happen. I understand how the head to head arguments for each of the above teams may arguably favor Georgia, but the broader argument set forth above is simply not going to play well anywhere and will trump the head to head arguments.

IMO, there is a better chance that a 9-3 Georgia makes it as the 4th and final SEC team to make the playoffs than being the 5th SEC team to make the playoffs over the above 6 teams.
Fair...we'll see but I think we disagree on the ACC/ND. I don't believe the ACC gets two unless a 12-1 Miami is the 2nd

100% disagree with Klatt. The close up shows that exact extension he talks about. The CB falls backwards at least a yard or 2 while Smith makes his cut.

Of any call I saw all weekend (and I watched from noon until nearly midnight before falling asleep), this was 100% right and textbook. This was more blatant than the Fleming OPI call.
Facts

100% disagree with Klatt. The close up shows that exact extension he talks about. The CB falls backwards at least a yard or 2 while Smith makes his cut.

Of any call I saw all weekend (and I watched from noon until nearly midnight before falling asleep), this was 100% right and textbook. This was more blatant than the Fleming OPI call.
Klatt going for the biased douchebag commentator of the weekend award, but I think Cowherd beat him out.

• Haha
Reactions: lazydave841

I agree with you. My first thought was that the DB was play acting to get the call. But at that point in the game, that would be a heck of a risk. He had to fall down because of the push and it was fairly far down field. They were also letting the DBs and WRs play physical so I'd not have been shocked if they let it go. But by the rule, it was OPI.

I also find this speculation interesting. The play before the final play, Oregon had too many men on the field. They stopped the clock to announce and then assess the penalty but the clock starts rolling again. Apparently, on certain penalties the clock starts right up again as opposed to others the clock doesn't start until the ball is snapped. tOSU doesn't see the clock running and once they see it, they can't call timeout because they only have the one left. So they ended up wasing about ten seconds at a critical time when they just needed a FG to win it.

Dan Patrick speculates that this was done on purpose to drain the clock. Rick Nuheisel (sp?) relays a story that this was done to him on the goal line right before halftime when he coached at UCLA>

I also find this speculation interesting. The play before the final play, Oregon had too many men on the field. They stopped the clock to announce and then assess the penalty but the clock starts rolling again. Apparently, on certain penalties the clock starts right up again as opposed to others the clock doesn't start until the ball is snapped. tOSU doesn't see the clock running and once they see it, they can't call timeout because they only have the one left. So they ended up wasing about ten seconds at a critical time when they just needed a FG to win it.

Dan Patrick speculates that this was done on purpose to drain the clock. Rick Nuheisel (sp?) relays a story that this was done to him on the goal line right before halftime when he coached at UCLA>

Because the clock starts once the officials say the ball is ready for play there. That's just a QB and coach not knowing the rules.

Because the clock starts once the officials say the ball is ready for play there. That's just a QB and coach not knowing the rules.

I believe it's the difference in a live ball vs dead ball foul. If it were a dead ball foul, there would have been a 10 second run off unless a time out was called if I'm not mistaken.

Reactions: LandoComando

The clock did not start after the penalty. The "issue" is that since it was a live ball penalty, the clock was running during the play and that time doesn't get re-added since the play happened (unlike a dead ball penalty occurring before the snap). Ohio State gained 5 years but lost 3 or 4 seconds on the play.

I believe it's the difference in a live ball vs dead ball foul. If it were a dead ball foul, there would have been a 10 second run off unless a time out was called if I'm not mistaken.
Yes and no. A dead ball penalty only causes a runoff if the clock would have otherwise been running. In this case both the play before the penalty and the play where the penalty occurred were incomplete passes and stopped the clock so there would have been no runoff question.

That said, even if it were a running clock and there would be enforced a 10 second runoff, the non-penalized team can decline the runoff if they want to keep the time on the clock. The penalized team can prevent the runoff by using a timeout.

The clock did not start after the penalty. The "issue" is that since it was a live ball penalty, the clock was running during the play and that time doesn't get re-added since the play happened (unlike a dead ball penalty occurring before the snap). Ohio State gained 5 years but lost 3 or 4 seconds on the play.

Just rewatched the clip of the last drive. The clock restarted after the OPI. There was 22 seconds left when the flag was assesses. Then on the 2nd and 25, the clock ran down to 15-16 second mark before OSU snapped it.

This is the clock running I was talking about, not the time lost (4 seconds) from the too many men on the field penalty down (which if Oregon planned that, then wow, kudos to them for coming up with that on the fly).

Reactions: LandoComando
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT