ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State

Cali_Nittany

Jan 5, 2016
The PRC
In honor of the big game coming up tomorrow, here's The Ohio State University wrestling lineup.

125 – Lucas (So) <Lima Central Catholic, OH>

Hunter Lucas went 21-5 in opens last season. He had no wins against NCAA qualifiers. Lucas was 3-0 against fellow tOSU 125lber Brady Koontz. Lucas takes over for 1-time champ/4-time AA Nathan Tomasello (3rd @125 in 2018, 3rd @133 in 2017, 3rd @125 in 2016 and 1st @125 in 2015). Or maybe Malik Heinselman starts as a true freshman.

133 – Pletcher (Jr) <Greater Latrobe, PA>

Luke Pletcher went 30-4 overall and finished 4th from the 3 seed last season. He qualified in 2017 @141 and went 2-2 from the 12 seed.

141 – McKenna (Sr) <Blair Academy, NJ>

Joey McKenna went 21-2 overall and finished 3rd from the 4 seed last season. He finished 3rd for Stanford in 2016 and R12 in 2017.

149 – Jordan (Sr) <St. Paris Graham, OH> or Hayes (Jr) <Park Hill, MO>

Two-time AA Micah Jordan returns for his final season with the Buckeyes. He went 25-9 overall and finished 6th from the 7 seed @157 last season. Jordan finished 4th @149 in 2017 and went to the round of twelve @141 in 2016. Jordan and Hayes are both listed @149 on the Ohio State roster so it looks like the wrestle-off winner will be rewarded with not having to endure future Nolf maulings.

157 – Hayes (Jr) <Park Hill, MO> or Jordan (Sr) <St. Paris Graham, OH>

Ke-Shawn Hayes went 29-7 overall and went to the round of 12 in the tournament from the 5 seed last season @149. Ronnie Perry’s upset of Brandon Sorensen setup the early exit for Hayes. {Hayes: Yah, Zain has graduated!!! What? Micah wants to go back to 149???}

165 – Romero (Fr) <Mechanicsburg, OH>

Kaleb Romero went 10-1 @174 in his redshirt season. His only loss was to Evan DeLong (Clarion) and he didn’t have any wins against NCAA qualifiers. Te’Shan Campbell went 19-12 overall and 2-2 in the tournament from the 13 seed last season. Campbell also qualified for the tournament twice for Pitt, going 2-2 in in 2017 and 0-2 in 2016.

174 – Campbell (Sr) <Penn Hills, PA>

Te’Shan Campbell returns for his final season at Ohio State, moving up from 165. He’s taking over for 4-time AA Bo Jordan who went 28-7 and finished 5th from the 6 seed last season. Bo finished 2nd @174 in 2017, 3rd @165 in 2016 and 3rd @165 in 2015.

184 – Martin (Sr) <McDonogh, NJ>

Three-time AA and 1-time champion Myles Martin is probably pretty happy that Nickal moved up to 197. Martin went 31-3 overall and finished 2nd, just like Ohio State, last season. All three of those losses were against Noodle Arms. He finished 5th @184 in 2017 and defeated Nickal for the 174 title in 2016.

197 – Moore (Jr) <Norwayne, OH>

Kollin Moore is still having nightmares about Kyle Conel. Moore is another multiple AA for the Buckeyes, finishing 4th from the 1 seed last season and 3rd from the 3 seed in 2017.

Heavy – Singletary (Fr) <Blair Academy, NJ>

Chase Singletary had a pretty good but apparently not good enough redshirt season going 22-3. His loses came to Joey Goodhart (Drexel), Devin Nye (Kent St) and Austin Faunce (Navy). Singletary has impossibly large shoes to fill in taking over for 3-time champion Kyle Snyder (and 2nd @197 in 2015).

Ohio State loses three 4-time AAs but does return the rest of their lineup which includes 5 AAs from last season. This is still a very good team and Ryan has a lot of great recruits coming in. It should be a good battle for 2nd place this season.

DnKveKcXsAAEqtx.jpg

Hey TJR!! This forum does provide a bit of a Blue & White slant :). What are your thoughts on tOSU's team this year? Always appreciate other team's fans perspectives here.

I think Ohio State will obviously be very good again but definitely not as as last year. Losing Snyder, Tomasello, and Bojo hurts a lot. Romero and Singletary should at least be qualifiers but I'm not sure about Lucas. I also think it will be better for the team if Keshawn stays at 149 and Micah goes 157.

Also, thanks so much for the hospitality.

I believe coach Ryan has said that Heinselman will be the starter at 125. I believe it was during one of the Flo interviews.

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
I think Ohio State will obviously be very good again but definitely not as as last year. Losing Snyder, Tomasello, and Bojo hurts a lot. Romero and Singletary should at least be qualifiers but I'm not sure about Lucas. I also think it will be better for the team if Keshawn stays at 149 and Micah goes 157.

Thanks for the response!!

I agree on Jordan and Hayes. The only scenario I see where tOSU scored more NCAA points with Jordan at 149 and Hayes at 157 is if Jordan wins, which is certainly possible, as 149 has cleared out quite a bit.

I’ve got 149 and 157 flip flopped I expect Hayes to struggle at 157 if he ends up there. Definitely think he can beat Jordan in a best of 3, where Micah’s game is weak his is pretty strong. It could come to Hayes just having to get a takedown to Pretty much seal a win and while Micah’s Pretty active on his feet he doesn’t always take the cleanest shots. Ethan Smith could legitimately challenge Te’shan Campbell for the 174 job as well

P.S while I thank you guys for grooming Saquon Barkley to be a NY Giant, Dwayne Haskins is gonna be tossing dimes tomorrow :D;)

Reactions: fronk71 and tikk10
I’ve got 149 and 157 flip flopped I expect Hayes to struggle at 157 if he ends up there. Definitely think he can beat Jordan in a best of 3, where Micah’s game is weak his is pretty strong. It could come to Hayes just having to get a takedown to Pretty much seal a win and while Micah’s Pretty active on his feet he doesn’t always take the cleanest shots. Ethan Smith could legitimately challenge Te’shan Campbell for the 174 job as well

P.S while I thank you guys for grooming Saquon Barkley to be a NY Giant, Dwayne Haskins is gonna be tossing dimes tomorrow :D;)
He may toss some silver coins, but his team is playing the Big10's gold standard tomorrow.
Nits take their second step towards the 2018 Big10 title.

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94

I would have sworn that oSu next to your name was orange lettering on a black background.

I was excited scrolling down the writeup for the signature picture that Cali_Nittany uses. I was hoping for something like this.

31D76BEF00000578-3474768-image-a-27_1457095104472.jpg

I don't even watch football like that, but this QB IS COOKING BRO!

I'm on the James Franklin bandwagon. He seems fun to compete for.

Also: nice tackle by Jan Johnson on that short yardage play. Didn't think they were going to overturn but it looked like he really stopped him.

Reactions: nerfstate
James Franklin is an awesome coach and recruiter but I am starting to see a pattern of losing huge games after being up by 2 TDs with 5 minutes to go. He needs to figure that one out. The Lions were far and away the better team tonight once again, but.... Where did I put those nitro pills.

Just, oof.....

But can we talk about Trace? Man, gonna miss that kid. He almost willed a victory by himself. And yeah, he prolly should had a chance to do so at the end....

Plenty of incentive after tonight to get them back in wrestling. Don't expect the final score to be as close.

Reactions: diggerpup
That play call:
03C25F8436C5FD76A5007F1DD15B1AF800B77DCB

I was yelling at the TV when we the 2 point conversion attempt, the 4th down call was horrible, and the Tommy Stevens flea flicker was I'll timed as we were driving it down their throats. Our punter vs theirs WTF - feels position nightmares. If only Chase pulled it down and ran instead of passing beyond the line......Multiple mistakes any one of which would have sealed it

Reactions: diggerpup
Well, he has a WIN magazine fleece on, and this was the hodge, so maybe an editor or something?

Reactions: tikk10
As an tOSU fan... the key to our season and having a prayer to compete with Penn State for a title is over achieving at around 3 weights, and doing so significantly....which is extremely unlikely.

The crucial ‘swing weights’ for us are gonna be 165 (Kaleb Romero), 174 Te’Shan Campbell, and HWY (Chase Singletary).

I think we need 2 of these guys to AA to even have a shot in the end, or at the very least 1 AA and another Round of 12 guy...but none of these 3 are likely or favored in doing so.

I think these 3 kids also give Tom Ryan a tremendous opportunity to showcase he and his coaching staff’s ability to develop kids they bring in and prove it by they all over achieving their predicted results.

I was extremely high on Romero coming in, and was all but certain he’d be ready to be a podium kid once his redshirt freshman season began. Not only is he in a brutal weight at 165, I didn’t see the dominance I would have liked in his redshirt season. Don’t get me wrong, he did good, but not dominant like the redshirt freshman contenders are in their redshirt year . I also know freestyle is much different than folk, but losing to a sophomore in Dustin Plott didn’t help my enthusiasm.

Anyone who watched Campbell last year would understand any uncertainty or trepidation regarding this kid. Helluva an athlete, could be elite from his feet...but has a gas tank that doesn’t exceed being on E. Trying to be optimistic, Campbell also was gigantic at 165 and that cut most likely had a huge part in the matches he literally gave away in the 3rd period last year completely and utterly gassed. He could be the surprise of the group having found his ideal weight, he was a conference champ while at Pitt, or he could be one in the same as last year which makes him a 2 and out kinda guy at Nationals.

Finally with Singletary, his problem has always been his size and being a tweener between the high school 220 weight and HWY. Reports and recent photos suggest Singletary is now approaching 250 pounds, which is a good 25-30 pounds heavier than what he competed at during his redshirt campaign. Speaking of that, Singletary lost some matches against some guys you would never expect an elite guy to lose to. But he also was vastly undersized and was reportedly working on specific attacks and different things designed for him by Tervel D to work on so he’s another guy we’re just gonna have to wait and see what happens. With the recent commitment of Daniel K, Singletary should/will be extremely motivated to wrestle well filling in at HWY.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT