ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Audiophiles, Speaker Question

mickey_PSU

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2006
NEPA
This might be a shot in the dark but this is my go to site for answers to technology questions. I plan on posting on some audio boards but in case anyone here can give me their opinions, I'd appreciate it.

I've been reading a lot about the new Andrew Jones designed ELAC Uni-fi UB5 bookshelf speakers. Many, many say that for the price, they can't be beat. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to listen to them anywhere. Has anyone here heard them or own them and if so, what are your thoughts? I'm also looking, at 4X the price, a pair of KEF R300 bookshelf speakers as well as a pair of KEF LS50 Mini Monitors (at 3X the cost). Again, finding local places anymore where you can listen to the various types of speakers and compare yourself is nearly impossible, gone are the days when you had audio shops who carried a lot of this equipment and you could compare side by side.

One option for me is to order all 3 pairs then listen myself- but I would like to try to avoid the hassle of returning two pairs. I've read a ton of on-line reviews, both so-called expert and then from owners but I haven't found direct comparisons. BTW, Andrew Jones designs are well known in the KEF world so that's part of why I'm thinking the buzz around the ELAC Uni-fi UB5s is justified. I own a pari of now 30 year old Kef Reference 103.3 speakers and they're still sounding sweet (some of you might remember this, I've posted this before).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News