ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Be careful what you wish for... new job offer in Colorado

Ranger Dan

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2003
York PA
I want to relocate to the rocky mountain area someday, as does me wife. She actually lived in Colorado for 6 years before moving back to PA to be closer to family. So, when I updated my resume on Monster, I had a company approach me about a position in Colorado. The good news is that they've made me an offer. The bad news is that I have to move by the end of summer. Its time to "put up or shut up" and I'm really stressed. I could end up getting a new job in my present company that would satisfy my professionally, and I could put off moving to a point where my wife and I are more ready to move. We both still want to relocate there "someday"... how do you know whether its the right time or not?

you dont, there will always be a reason not to, besides bird in the hand

is worth 2 in the bush. I dont know if you could leverage this job against your company dragging their feet and letting you know, something to consider, but its up to you. Where in Co??

In all seriousness....

no snarkiness intended.......I would think you know its the "right time", when you don't feel any need or desire to get opinions from third parties.

If you are comfortable making the move - regardless of what any other folks might say........go,

If its the right job in the right place with the right opportunity to

retire comfortably where you want to be, then now is the right time. No idea how old you are but imagining you are mid 40s to mid-fifties. If everything else is right, its the right time.
This post was edited on 3/16 9:41 AM by demlion

Dan, I think you've answered your own question

It doesn't seem that you're ready.

If you, as a couple, want to move there "someday", then now isn't the time unless the job is a huge jump in both career and bank account. You'll both know it's time to make the jump.

I'm very risk averse in personality and by profession...

I dream of moving out west... it's just harder to pull the trigger than I thought.

I go through this almost every year. For me, I'm getting to the point in life where I feel I need to seriously start thinking about retirement(not that I haven't since I graduated college). I would like to retire in my mid 50's. I got a good 15 years for that. for me, it is all about how much money can I save so I can live off my savings. I don't wan't to work into my 60's.

I live in PA and have flirted with moving to Texas/Florida(company have offices there) before. Now with the proposed massive tax increases being proposed, it may make my decision pretty easy. I'm going to get hit HARD by the income tax increase and to a lesser extent the sales tax increase that they are proposing. Property tax reduction won't be nearly enough to offset this since I chose to live in a "modest" house. So for me, given my situation, if this happens, I'm probably going to leave. Most of my family is gone from PA and the wife only has a few relatives left here. For us, financial decisions will be the deciding factor.

So in short, everyone has their own reasons and I'm not sure anyone can answer that question for you.

It's not like my wife and I had mapped out a plan and in X years we'd move.

We never really discussed the reality. My wife has more family reasons to stay than I do. Her parents are both alive and very social, mine are both gone.

It's good for my career...

My wife wants to change careers, which would mean taking a pay cut, but I support that if it's what she needs to do to be happy.

Ranger- had a similar situation 20+ years ago. My wife and I wanted to relocate to Arizona and I was out of a job with a 2 year change of control package. We are both professional(RN/CPA) and could have worked into a nice transition. We blinked and stayed in PA. Can't say I am terribly disappointed (easier to follow PSU)and we are older now and that type of geography change would be difficult. Moral of the story make changes at a younger age and DON'T look back! My son moved to Denver area 4 yrs ago and we visit annually - a great State to relocate to. Hope my post helped.

I'm not asking a third party to make my decision for me...

I'm commiserating with "friends" (internet friends at least) about an important decision I'm going to be making.

Thanks, It's helpful to hear other people discuss their thoughts

on relocation. Good luck in your early retirement. I'll be one of the suckers working into his mid 60's!

A PROPOSED dent to your net income of 0.63% would force you to move?

I understand there are going to be a lot of folks who don't like the new Gov's budget proposal......but 1 - it is just a proposal at this point, and 2 - if enacted as currently constructed (which is probably less than a 50-50 shot) you are talking about of income tax hike of less than 2/3 of 1%. That might cause me to get angry.....but it sure wouldn't force me to move from a location where I was otherwise comfortable.

do it.

first, you can go to where you dream of living AND be on a high end payroll which gives you flexibility should something go a little off. I am assuming the company would pay for your move.

second, nothing is forever, you can always come back.

I am assuming you wife's family situation is no longer a major issue.

Bottom line is that jobs are no longer forever. I take a job committing for a year, expecting three. Five exceeds all expectations.

This post was edited on 3/16 10:07 AM by Obliviax

Ever hear the metaphor, "the straw that broke the camel's back?"

Maybe the extra .63% is just that for him?

This post was edited on 3/16 10:00 AM by thecoolestfish

Re: A PROPOSED dent to your net income of 0.63% would force you to move?

Yes it will because it won't be the last either. Compound that money that I won't have over 15-20 even with a low interest and you aren't talking about pennies. It adds up pretty fast and starts approaching a good bit of money. I highly doubt the taxes will DECREASE in PA during that time either. It adds up pretty significantly.

1. PA Gas tax going to be the highest in the country in a few years
2. 20% increase in state income tax
3. 10% increase in sales tax

I personally don't think this will be the last either. Regardless my tax rate in Florida/Texas would be way less then in PA. So for me, it is a big deal. Like I said for you it may not be an issue, for me it is.

Re: Ever hear the metaphor, "the straw that broke the camel's back?"

Compound that money I lose every year(and it's a lot more then a few dollars). Assume a 5% return, which isn't unrealistic, and it isn't chump change when you are saving for retirement. People don't think about that aspect at all.

Sounds like you're ready, but if the wife moved back to PA

to be closer to family, is she ready? You might need to have a serious talk with her about that one. At the worst this is also an opportunity to nudge your current company into giving you an answer, and also upping your salary. Nothing spurs higher salary like a bidding war. As always, approach your company that they are your first choice but you are concerned your career may be stalling.

It's all comfort zone stuff....

selling our current house (we are redoing a master bath as we speak), buying a new one, what will my wife do for a living (she wants to retire, but that isn't happening)? It's all possible, or I would have considered it. In fact, the job is with a consulting company with 50% travel and I floated the idea of travel based out of current house for another year to give us time to figure stuff out.

I'm in the same boat...

I live in North Carolina and have always wanted to move back to Pennsylvania. Well I was given the opportunity a few months ago and have pulled the trigger with a move scheduled for the end of April. It makes sense for me financially and family-wise. However I still have reservations about it.

Good look with the decision.

Ok, I get that. My wife (gf at the time) were living in the DC 'burbs....

...seven years ago. Every day I complained about DC traffic and my commute, and talked about how I was "planning" to get out of there. But because of "comfort zone" (which, wasn't very comfortable at all, so maybe it was more inertia) -- my wife and I both owned houses there -- I wasn't making any effort to get out.

My wife/gf eventually took the initiative and we started a process to figure out where we wanted to move. Then, once we decided on Boulder, CO, she took the initiative to make it happen. At some point, I was like, "wow this is happening." Eventually -- the whole process took about a year, mainly because she had her own business as a wedding planner, and had clients booked for about 8 months out -- it actually did happen, and I couldn't be happier. My only regret is not doing it sooner, but you can't focus on that.

Now, with that all said, it sounds like I was less happy/content in where I was than you are -- So perhaps it's not *as much* a slam dunk that you'll be as happy with a move as was I.

I have lived in Colorado now since 2000 (1989 PSU grad), and I have to say it has exceeded my wild expectations. I have lived in NC, DC, NY and Philly and while I love all those places, nothing compares to here for us. I lived in Lodo, Wash Park and now Greenwood Village (needed a yard, etc.). The people, schools, weather, cost of living, activities are awesome. I have never heard anyone say "boy, I moved here to soon", but I do hear a lot of "I wish I had moved here sooner". If your heart says to do it, I am sure it will be an awesome experience.

Ha!

Originally posted by psu_1989:
I have lived in Colorado now since 2000 (1989 PSU grad), and I have to say it has exceeded my wild expectations. I have lived in NC, DC, NY and Philly and while I love all those places, nothing compares to here for us. I lived in Lodo, Wash Park and now Greenwood Village (needed a yard, etc.). The people, schools, weather, cost of living, activities are awesome. I have never heard anyone say "boy, I moved here too soon", but I do hear a lot of "I wish I had moved here sooner". If your heart says to do it, I am sure it will be an awesome experience.
Ha! Check out my post below.

https://bwi.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=36&mid=179534389&sid=890&tid=179533094&style=1

Or, use this direct link...

I agree Jim...

I guess some people just come here for game discussions, recruiting news, the sandusky mess, or other PSU related stuff. I also consider this a community of people who are willing to share their opinions (informed or not) to help people with decisions, problems, commiserate, etc. This is the reason why I choose the McAndrew board for my primary Penn State resource. It's not because the news is better.

Ranger Dan,

What you will find most of all in moving to CO from the northeast is that the weather will blow you away. The Denver area is essentially a high desert, so the sun shines at least 80% of the time. As a result, when they get snow, it melts quickly. I have known at least 15-20 people over the years who moved to CO without a job and not a single one regretted that decision. Conversely, we have known several CO people who have had kids go to college back east--many on scholarships--and a huge number of those kids (about 60-80%) don't finish college back east and come back to CO to finish.

The one area where people tend to get sticker shock is housing, which can be very expensive in the Denver-Boulder area and in the mountain resort areas. More reasonable housing prices can be found in other parts of CO. Good luck with your decision!

Ranger, good luck in your decision. I am a native PA guy....

that can't wait to move south. I have wanted to for years, as I hate the cold weather, and hate it more every year. I have kids which is what has held me here in PA. They are great kids, that do well in school, and have a lot of good friends through sports, etc. I despise every day I wake up with the cold/snow/ice.

I am counting down the years to move (probably Charleston, SC area), however, there are certain things that are getting harder now. My father had quadruple bypass surgery in December. My mother is going to be getting knee replacements. More friends than I care to mention are now going through major challenges health-wise, etc. Been to more funerals in the last year than probably the 8 years before that. I am 48 and my wife is 47. I guess my point is sometimes you may need to just make the decision as to whether you will have more regrets if you don't get a chance to make the move. Nothing has to be forever, but no-one knows what tomorrow or next year, or 5 years from now will bring. I torment myself each day by having my weather updates set to my home, as well as Charleston, SC. It is probably not a smart move on my part;-)

Good luck with your decision, and whatever you decide just move forward 100% and try not to live with the what-ifs....

Many here are focusing on the location. My focus would be on the job.

What if you make the move, love the location, but hate the job? Are there other options open to you in Colorado if that happens?

Bottom line is that you have to love doing what you do. Never change

jobs for money or location unless you also really like the job. At the end of the day you're the guy that has to get out of bed in the morning and go to work. If you don't really love the job, it's not worth it. Colorado isn't going anywhere. It will still be there when the time is right.

My 2 cents...

I've relocated from Dallas to Silicon Valley and back to Dallas...twice. The second time was for a 3 year stint with my new/2nd wife. On this occasion I was promoted so I didn't have to deal with relo and new company. It was my experience that the stress/chaos of moving can expose any stress points in a relatively new relationship. However if you have the acuity to recognize this and practice empathy for each other you will be fine.

As far as the decision in general I have always found it effective to gather all the facts and opinions and then stuff them into your brain... trying your best not to place judgments. Let your subconscious process the data for a few days. Get your sleep and go about your normal routine and do not force yourself to decide or to define a timetable. Eventually, perhaps after 4-5 days, you should feel a peace come over you and the decision made. For me I have done this many times and eventually one morning I wake up refreshed and at peace with a decision.

In the end this sounds like a wonderful opportunity... so long as you do not believe yourself to be compromising professionally.

Well, FWIW, I left PA in 1998 for Seattle and have never regretted it. I really wanted to experience the PNW for the outstanding outdoor activities in addition to the thriving tech opportunities (the .com thing was booming when I moved out here). Those 2 things and others have served me well, and I'm still here 17 years later. That noted, I did (and still do) miss the people back east, so until recently I always went back for Thanksgiving and also continued to attend an annual fishing trip with my buddies that we had done since we were in high school. Having those reconnections to look forward to each year really helped me get over the initial isolation. Also, don't necessarily expect folks to come visit you. That was something that caught me a bit by surprise. My folks used to come visit but that's about it. My best friend from PA came to visit me once, and only then it was because he had a medical conference in Seattle. I can't tell you how many times I've been visiting home and had friends and family members tell me they were coming out to visit but never actually got around to doing so. Good luck with your decision.

This post was edited on 3/16 11:55 AM by Dixi

My experience tells me, if you don't go now, you won't. Her family isn't getting younger. Lots of things will come up that make it more difficult to move away as her parents get older. Bite the bullet and take the plunge. You won't regret.

Something to consider are children. If you don't have any yet, then your in-laws will be a big help when (or if) you do have them. I'm guessing you already have considered that.

Kinda funny you said that... I am in a similar situation. I am looking at Raleigh/Durham(RTA area) as well as the Delray Beach/Boca Raton area in FL. In my mid 40s and am close to having several op's with different companies to move. Have family/friends in the Delray area and my kids have said they would rather relocate to FL rather than NC which was kinda surprising to me and the wife. Lots of friends in Raleigh area and man if you have any kind of IT background there are oodles of jobs down there in a beautiful area. So not sure what I am going to do either. Figure with impending large tax increases coming in PA it might be telling me its time to jump. Tired of my taxes going up and up. Let alone how the state is going to deal with the billion dollar underfunded public employee and teacher retirement funds. Most likely on the back of the middle class taxpayer... so I am thinking very hard and really not sure what I want to do....

Now I'm daydreaming. Colorado seems amazing. What industry are you in?

How much in demand was your job? Are there large employers looking for your services? Did you use Monster with the intent of moving to Colorado or was it random that you were found by an employer there?

First of all, Colorado is great. Lots of people live there and lots of people vacation there. As one poster said , it isn't going anywhere so try not to have too much anxiety over this decision. Usually a decision can be easily made if you can't make one or have too hard a time making one.

Two things to think about and I believe age may be a big factor in one of them. The first is your wife's parents. If they are older there is only so much time to be able to spend with them before they are gone. Alot depends on their closeness and her need to be near them before they pass. You don't want to live with guilt if she moves and regrets having moved away.

The second is 50% travel for your new job. You will be gone alot, your wife will be new in town and not have her friends/family near her. She may be fine with it and excited for a "new adventure". Hopefully, that's the case.

Spend time on what you want for your retirement. Money, activities, weather, city size, health care. Plan on how long it will take to get there. What age will you retire? Do you want to be in Colorado?

Some personal experience. I moved to Denver when I graduated PSU in 1979. It was fun, active, sunny. I left because my PSU girlfriend didn't like it and we wound up in Oregon. I've been here 31 years. Twice a year I have traveled to PA to see my parents. It ate alot of my vacation time and money. For a decade I made the trip 3 times per year because my Father was ill and I never wanted to regret not making the effort to see him. He has passed and I have no regrets.

Rambling... there is no clear choice for you. Do what you and your wife want. It's still your lives and up to you how you want to live it. I have done so and for the most part it has worked out well. But there is no perfect decision so weigh and balance the excitement and adventure the Colorado move offers you with current situation in PA. Goodluck.

Many Of Life's Decisions Are Not Easy!

And it's hard.....really really hard.....not to look back or second-guess yourself.

My only "words of wisdom", Dan, are these: Time will fly as you get older.....and there are no guarantees about tomorrows.

I was born in 1950.....and events from my childhood, high school & college, my married days (1984-1997), all seem like they happened yesterday......or maybe only a few years ago. I just celebrated the anniversary of my first "adult" vacation: Harbor Town / Sea Pines Plantation......forty years ago. I've been retired since 1998.....where'd the time go?

And, now, all of a sudden, I'm on Medicare, age 65. Again, where did the time go? Some of my bucket list "wants" aren't as practical now......some are not possible now.

(BTW, I'm stressing out today, too. Do I rescue a 6-7 year old basset hound or go for a puppy in a litter available in 6 weeks? If I pass on a puppy now, next time I'll be too old. As I said, many of life's decisions are hard. But at the same time, sometimes there are no "right" or "wrong" decisions.)

Guess what I'm trying to tell you.....or suggest to you.....you might not have this opportunity down-the-road. Life might interfere with your future plans. Don't always count on tomorrow's plans, because tomorrow will be here very very quickly, without much notice.

GOOD LUCK - Let me know when I can come visit NO MATTER WHAT DECISION YOU MAKE!

This post was edited on 3/16 1:04 PM by ILLINOISLION

For what it's worth...and my experience may not be typical

Without going into a lot of details, I think it's important to consider one thing...your age.
We all like to believe we have developed an impressive work record and that feeling is reinforced as we receive interest letters and offers based on our experience, reputations, and possibly even brief working relationships with the offering party.

But those day can come and pass. After you pass 40 and even more as you approach 50, I think companies begin to look at you much differently. By then, your expected (and objectively justifiable) salary is considerable and they may wonder whether they should go to a younger candidate who they think is still hungry enough to work harder for less pay. Someone they can groom for further advancement and will give them a higher overall ROI...in part because of how long they may stay.

I think this even more the case in tech fields where its tough to keep up skills-wise with candidates less distanced in time from their intensive techical education.

Your case may certainly be different...but be careful forgoing an opportunity because it may not come again when the timimg is more ideal for you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT