ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Car headlights

91Joe95

Aug 15, 2003
So this past summer my parents decided to get rid of their 2003 Honda Accord EX with the 2.4L 4 cylinder engine, 180K miles. Because the AC needed a new compressor and it had an intermittent check engine light on they were only offered $500 in trade in. I told them that was ridiculous, but they were he'll bent on getting a newer car so I bought it off them as my beater car. $150 later and all is tip top shape again, until this Friday when the passenger headlight went out. Now, this is a simple $7 fix at Napa. However, I'm also mulling over replacing the headlights with LED's. Because of a minor deer hit last year, the driver side headlight is relatively clear and almost like new. The passenger side is original and frosted over, and it will never be totally clear again. So, I also researched a new headlight assembly for the passenger side, which brings me back to LED's. A lot of the assemblies have LED kits built into them. Obviously they are not OEM, but they look pretty nice without looking completely out of place on the car. They cost about $140 per pair, but I could then sell my current assemblies on Craigslist or eBay for surprisingly close to that amount. Another option is just getting an LED kit for my current assemblies for about $35 on Amazon. So, to summarize:

1. OEM halogen bulb for $7
2. LED bulb kit for current headlight assemblies for about $35
3. New non-OEM headlight assemblies with LED lights for abour $140, plus I then sell my assemblies on either Craigslist or eBay to recoup a large portion of the $140.

I will do all the installation myself in all the scenarios. Thoughts, including any recommended brands, etc? TIA.

Reactions: androcles
So this past summer my parents decided to get rid of their 2003 Honda Accord EX with the 2.4L 4 cylinder engine, 180K miles. Because the AC needed a new compressor and it had an intermittent check engine light on they were only offered $500 in trade in. I told them that was ridiculous, but they were he'll bent on getting a newer car so I bought it off them as my beater car. $150 later and all is tip top shape again, until this Friday when the passenger headlight went out. Now, this is a simple $7 fix at Napa. However, I'm also mulling over replacing the headlights with LED's. Because of a minor deer hit last year, the driver side headlight is relatively clear and almost like new. The passenger side is original and frosted over, and it will never be totally clear again. So, I also researched a new headlight assembly for the passenger side, which brings me back to LED's. A lot of the assemblies have LED kits built into them. Obviously they are not OEM, but they look pretty nice without looking completely out of place on the car. They cost about $140 per pair, but I could then sell my current assemblies on Craigslist or eBay for surprisingly close to that amount. Another option is just getting an LED kit for my current assemblies for about $35 on Amazon. So, to summarize:

3. New non-OEM headlight assemblies with LED lights for abour $140, plus I then sell my assemblies on either Craigslist or eBay to recoup a large portion of the $140.

I will do all the installation myself in all the scenarios. Thoughts, including any recommended brands, etc? TIA.

Another option for you to consider, you can buy Sylvania SilverStar Ultra bulbs for ~$100 bucks (2 low beam and 2 high beam bulbs) which are quite a bit brighter than OEM's without getting an odd/weird/cheap look like some aftermarket led kits (I've never had them but they get good reviews, keep in mind that their lifespan is shorter than OEM's)

Reactions: 91Joe95

Buy ONE halogen headlight bucket, install it on the psgr side, sell the other one or fire it in the trash. MMII is right. Don't be an inked up mouthbreather.

Most aftermarket HID headlights are low quality and will fog/look like crap/not last long/have lower light output than stock. $140 is dirt cheap with regards to car parts and you get what you pay for.

Putting aftermarket HID bulbs into a halogen housing is a complete dick move because there is no cutoff and it blinds oncoming traffic. It's also illegal but seems cops don't ticket for it.

You could find a retrofitter ( or diy if you think you are that handy) to retrofit oem projectors from another car (TSX and S2000 projectors were popular back when I had a Honda) but you're probably looking at more like a grand to do it correctly. http://www.v6performance.net/forums...08-post-your-7th-gen-retrofit-headlights.html

Stick with halogen bulbs.

Is the original passenger-side lens "glass" or "acrylic"? Can you purchase an after-market lens for the one that is clouded, and if so, how much for just the lens? I'd spend as little $$ as possible on a new lens and the best quality bulbs.

$7 Sylvanias are your answer... aftermarket LEDs are for those with (useless) cold-air intakes, fartcan exhaust tips, and stupid aero add-ons from JC Whitney **

I was leaning towards the $7 OEM halogen bulb, I just can't seem to like the high priced halogen with short life spans. That said, as I looked into my options the entire assembly kit became intriguing because 1) price after selling current was pretty negligible, and 2) I think with a fully designed assembly a lot of concerns would be alleviated.

Buy ONE halogen headlight bucket, install it on the psgr side, sell the other one or fire it in the trash. MMII is right. Don't be an inked up mouthbreather.

Being called an inked up mouthbreather is on my bucket list. Seriously, no one would ever confuse me with that picture, and I'm not considering this to "bling" up a beater car, nor would I pick any option that looked out of place on the car. I'm just looking for the best lighting option to see the road at night.

3. New non-OEM headlight assemblies with LED lights for a $140, plus I then sell my assemblies on either Craigslist or eBay to recoup a large portion of the $140.

Go with option 1 AND clean your frosted assembly per the attached video.

Is the original passenger-side lens "glass" or "acrylic"? Can you purchase an after-market lens for the one that is clouded, and if so, how much for just the lens? I'd spend as little $$ as possible on a new lens and the best quality bulbs.

It's acrylic, and the lens cannot be replaced, only the full assembly. I kind of ignore that option because it's about the same price as getting the full LED assembly.

Reactions: PeetzPoolBoy
Being called an inked up mouthbreather is on my bucket list. Seriously, no one would ever confuse me with that picture, and I'm not considering this to "bling" up a beater car, nor would I pick any option that looked out of place on the car. I'm just looking for the best lighting option to see the road at night.
You are the master of your own domain. Being "called" an inked up mouth breather is nothing. BEING an inked up mouth breather is the ticket. Stick a 7 dollar halogen bulb in the assembly, and spend the other $133 on tats. Then pick a fight with Gunsie at Champs, and once he breaks your nose, you'l be a mouth breather. Done.

Replace with normal bulbs, buff the cloudy headlight lense with toothpaste. You don't need to do all the sandpaper and additional steps. Buff it with toothpaste, wipe clean, rinse.

Reactions: Art and 91Joe95
Most aftermarket HID headlights are low quality and will fog/look like crap/not last long/have lower light output than stock. $140 is dirt cheap with regards to car parts and you get what you pay for.

Putting aftermarket HID bulbs into a halogen housing is a complete dick move because there is no cutoff and it blinds oncoming traffic. It's also illegal but seems cops don't ticket for it.

You could find a retrofitter ( or diy if you think you are that handy) to retrofit oem projectors from another car (TSX and S2000 projectors were popular back when I had a Honda) but you're probably looking at more like a grand to do it correctly. http://www.v6performance.net/forums...08-post-your-7th-gen-retrofit-headlights.html

Stick with halogen bulbs.

Actually, the replacement assembly with LED lights look an awful lot like the ones in your link.

Replace with normal bulbs, buff the cloudy headlight lense with toothpaste. You don't need to do all the sandpaper and additional steps. Buff it with toothpaste, wipe clean, rinse.

The one is beyond the toothpaste phase.

Really, really surprised there’s no wet T-shirt pics in this thread

I'll pick up the flag. :)

Wet-t-shirt-contests-make-good-.png

putting-a-new-twist-on-wet-t-shirt-contest-leo-3748743.png

55fe119302f5c236d470ba0a226b0949--classy-women-curvy-women.jpg

2317082.main_image.jpg

genevieve-wet-tshirt-lead-2.jpg

wet-t-shirt-1.png

Reactions: PeetzPoolBoy
Go with option 1 AND clean your frosted assembly per the attached video.

I was in a similar situation with an 08 Mazda. Headlights clouded etc. I bought the RainX headlight clearing system for app $15. Didn't do a very good job. So, after a while I gave it another shot with Maquirre's cleaning system. This worked very well as the headlights are now clear. Not only did it work better than the Rain X but it was easier to use. Cost app $25.

I was in a similar situation with an 08 Mazda. Headlights clouded etc. I bought the RainX headlight clearing system for app $15. Didn't do a very good job. So, after a while I gave it another shot with Maquirre's cleaning system. This worked very well as the headlights are now clear. Not only did it work better than the Rain X but it was easier to use. Cost app $25.
I've tried a couple of those that worked very well, but clouded up agaim in about 3 months. Wtf? How long did mcguirres last?

I've tried a couple of those that worked very well, but clouded up agaim in about 3 months. Wtf? How long did mcguirres last?
You've got to put a clear protective coating (Clear Coat at your hardware store) on after you've removed the oxide or it will re-oxidize in about...3 months! Geez, Lawyers! :p;)

You've got to put a clear protective coating (Clear Coat at your hardware store) on after you've removed the oxide or it will re-oxidize in about...3 months! Geez, Lawyers! :p;)
Followed the directions to a "t". The kind i used is weak.

Followed the directions to a "t". The kind i used is weak.
Alright, don't follow directions. Get the built up oxides off the headlamp and clean/dry it thoroughly and then apply a GOOD clear coat...several times, like 20 or more. If you allow oxygen to reach the unprotected surface it will oxidize quickly.

Alright, don't follow directions. Get the built up oxides off the headlamp and clean/dry it thoroughly and then apply a GOOD clear coat...several times, like 20 or more. If you allow oxygen to reach the unprotected surface it will oxidize quickly.
I drive a number of 10 plus yo cars. I just buy new headlight buckets. 20 coats of clear coat? Yeah, no.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT