ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Favorite Fresh Water Fish

Canadian Walleye, not the fish from Lake Erie.
Bug eaters vs fish eaters food base
Walleye are in the Perch family and they are great too.

Reactions: Cosmos and TheGLOV
Actually, the 'water-wolf'

Northern Pike!!!
Well they are the same family. They po'd me a few times. Have had stringers of crappies destroyed by them(Northern's/ Pickerel in the south?).

It's been way too long since I have fished.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Crappie #1. Walleye is damned good, but it runs second to crappie.
YEP, Crappie, especially when caught through the ice. Pan fired trout are a close second.
Off to do some Trout fishin in the nice snow and 19 degree tempos off northeast Iowa :)
c041we.jpg

tbuHbz.jpg

I think large mouth bass are the best to eat. Most say Walleye, but I don't see any difference in taste, but Walleye are more mushy like trout. Large Mouth bass are similar to cod in texture, and have their own unique smell. I like catching bass so much I always feel guilty killing them to eat, so I don't keep many.

YEP, Crappie, especially when caught through the ice. Pan fired trout are a close second.
Off to do some Trout fishin in the nice snow and 19 degree tempos off northeast Iowa :)
c041we.jpg

tbuHbz.jpg

Nice! Must have hit a crappie hole! Crazy that if find the right area you can catch you limit in less than an hour. That trout looks awesome as well.

I think large mouth bass are the best to eat. Most say Walleye, but I don't see any difference in taste, but Walleye are more mushy like trout. Large Mouth bass are similar to cod in texture, and have their own unique smell. I like catching bass so much I always feel guilty killing them to eat, so I don't keep many.

Maybe it's the area, but in Minnesota and of course Canada, the Walleye don't seem to be so mushy. Removing the Y bone stinks though. Large mouth bass seem to be kind of muddy tasting up here. Fun to catch though.

Reactions: Gitzit and TheGLOV
Walleye
Crappie
Perch
Trout
Bullhead are great if you can get a few decent size ones else a PITA to clean.
Have yet to be lucky enough to pull in a Pike to try.

Reactions: PSU87
I remember seeing walleye selling for $19.99 a pound at Wholefoods had to pass for Rockfish.

Unfortunately my good man, those aren't the originals. It's cool that several companies are trying to fill the void but I want those perfect textured, perfect flavored grape Swedish fish from my youth back. The red ones were a close second, but as I recall, the larger ones in the different colors were as hard as woodpecker lips and didn't taste as good.

From my cursory search of the internets;

Do they still make grape Swedish Fish?
Friday a box from Blair Candy in Altoona, PA arrived on my doorstep and inside was a bag of the grape fish. Now, since they're not manufactured by the original maker of the Swedish fish, these “Nordic Grape Fish,” as they are now called, have a slightly different texture and a strong grape flavor.Jul 16, 2017

And from that bastion of truth known as Wikipedia;

Swedish Fish - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_Fish

Originally colored red with a flavor unique to the candy (often guessed to be lingonberry, but never verified), they are now also available in several different colors, such as Orange & Lemon-Lime. Purple Swedish Fish in grape flavor were discontinued in 2006.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT