ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Favorite Fresh Water Fish

In Florida - snook, in NJ Snookie

Flag picked up...
581325_v9_ba.jpg

Walleye to eat.

Brook trout to catch. I enjoy finding Class A streams on maps of Pa. and hiking into areas where only a small percentage of people ever go. I then fly fish for brookies. They average maybe four inches long, but are among the most beautiful fish in the world. When they're feeding you could put a bandaid on a hook and catch them. The trick is not letting them know that you're there.

Maybe it's the area, but in Minnesota and of course Canada, the Walleye don't seem to be so mushy. Removing the Y bone stinks though. Large mouth bass seem to be kind of muddy tasting up here. Fun to catch though.
There is no y bone in Walleye, there is a Y bone in the Pike family. Walleye is a member of the Perch family.

Learn to fillet and keep your knife sharp. Good fillets are so much better than digging through bones no matter what the fish. ...but, you're allowed one native brook trout in your life to eat and it needs to be over a fire in a cast iron skillet. That's the law

They are saltwater, have an allowable slot length of only 28-32", have a closed season and they cannot be sold commercially.
Eating snook is not something the average Floridian does often.
They are very good, but the lack of availability adds to the flavor:cool:
Lets say they are brackish water. Never far from fresh and/or salt water.
I guess, I should have put a few of these :p:confused::rolleyes:

Reactions: PSU87
Lets say they are brackish water. Never far from fresh and/or salt water.
I guess, I should have put a few of these :p:confused::rolleyes:
True with one caveat....they can be found very far from fresh water. I've caught them in the lower Keys which is very far from any fresh water. I catch them off the beach near my house which is 20 miles from the nearest inlet as the fish swims:)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT