ADVERTISEMENT

Penn St - WVU prediction thread

Yes and yes
Right that explains your using them as excuses when in reality coaching must adapt to it and if they can't they'll fail. Both things are better for the players and any coach at any program can use them (especially the portal) to their advantage.

Right that explains your using them as excuses when in reality coaching must adapt to it and if they can't they'll fail. Both things are better for the players and any coach at any program can use them (especially the portal) to their advantage.
Please tell me how a school like WVU can use NIL when there’s no money in the state. And the transfer portal doesn’t seem to be helping the smaller schools. I’m not using anything as an excuse, it’s reality. If you think a school like WVU can compete financially with Alabama, Georgia, OSU or any of the other big money football programs regardless of who the coach is, then I don’t know what to tell you. And something that’s better for the players in the short term doesn’t mean it’s good for the sport long term.

Please tell me how a school like WVU can use NIL when there’s no money in the state. And the transfer portal doesn’t seem to be helping the smaller schools. I’m not using anything as an excuse, it’s reality. If you think a school like WVU can compete financially with Alabama, Georgia, OSU or any of the other big money football programs regardless of who the coach is, then I don’t know what to tell you. And something that’s better for the players in the short term doesn’t mean it’s good for the sport long term.
Transfer portal is a huge help to smaller schools. Look at all the guys starting that left bigger programs. It's absolutely good for the sport long term. These moves aren't designed to make older fans happy. They want to attract younger fans. We aren't going anywhere. We're committed. NIL doesn't need money from the state of WV. There's plenty of ways around that which is one of the reason you likely dislike it.

I don't disagree with you. Coaching won't help if your talent us substantially less than the other team's.

However, I just want to point out that WVu did really well in the portal. In fact, they took a WR that committed to PSU and flipped him to WVU. They also got a very good portal xfer from LSU in 6-7 230 lb TE/WR combo who played 32 games for LSU in three years.

I think we are beginning to see the portal in NIL play out. NIL is really only going to the top-end kids that are in glamour positions. Nobody is paying much NIL for a four-star Right Guard. Or 3-star DT. But the portal seems to be offsetting that. We now see the portal being used for kids that can move up from less visible schools (a two star that ends up being all MAC, ). We are also seeing kids move down if they are blocked by talent at their first school. DT Fatorma Mulbah portaled from PSU to WVU. Last year we saw Charlie Sizzle xfer from Iowa to Purdue. WVU got a TON of kids via the portal for this year's team.

I think we see Franklin coaching differently this season. He is making an effort to keep talented kids who are blocked on the roster by expanding the rotation. And I don't think NIL is making a big of an impact as was feared. That star QB or WR isn't going to be very good if the jimmys and joes in front of him are capable and the D doesn't get him the ball.

Because there is money in the state. lol. I live in WV. We don't have professional teams. We definitely have poor people just like PA does. However, many people earn good wages too and support our school and teams. Plus, check the stat on booster contributions for PSU. There was a report released recently that showed the rankings of booster donations. Pretty sure for such a large and fine school, PSU was not very much higher with per year donations compared to WVU, who ranked 27th.

WVU has some prominent donors that give generously and many $1000-$5000 per year donors.. Additionally, our collective, Country Roads Trust, is one of the top collectives right now.

Reactions: bison13
So dumb. Are you a marketing exec for Bud Light?

Penn State 38-17.
No Bud Light ignored everyone that drinks their beer and missed the boat entirely.
You and I aren't going anywhere. This is the right plan. They aren't comparable.

No Bud Light ignored everyone that drinks their beer and missed the boat entirely.
You and I aren't going anywhere. This is the right plan. They aren't comparable.
Don't agree. My interest in CFB is waning. Heard the same from other fans. I'm looking around for tee times this Saturday afternoon. Would have been unthinkable just a few years ago.

Don't agree. My interest in CFB is waning. Heard the same from other fans. I'm looking around for tee times this Saturday afternoon. Would have been unthinkable just a few years ago.
Ratings disagree with that though. The lack of great games this weekend is the bigger issue with teams playing weak non conference opponents for the most part.

Transfer portal is a huge help to smaller schools. Look at all the guys starting that left bigger programs. It's absolutely good for the sport long term. These moves aren't designed to make older fans happy. They want to attract younger fans. We aren't going anywhere. We're committed. NIL doesn't need money from the state of WV. There's plenty of ways around that which is one of the reason you likely dislike it.
Don’t tell me why I like something or don’t like it and I don’t think you can accurately categorize which fans that don’t like something by age. I know young fans who don’t like it and older fans who do. I personally don’t because I don’t believe these poor kids were struggling through college with nothing prior to NIL because I know better. They got plenty.

I don't disagree with you. Coaching won't help if your talent us substantially less than the other team's.

However, I just want to point out that WVu did really well in the portal. In fact, they took a WR that committed to PSU and flipped him to WVU. They also got a very good portal xfer from LSU in 6-7 230 lb TE/WR combo who played 32 games for LSU in three years.

I think we are beginning to see the portal in NIL play out. NIL is really only going to the top-end kids that are in glamour positions. Nobody is paying much NIL for a four-star Right Guard. Or 3-star DT. But the portal seems to be offsetting that. We now see the portal being used for kids that can move up from less visible schools (a two star that ends up being all MAC, ). We are also seeing kids move down if they are blocked by talent at their first school. DT Fatorma Mulbah portaled from PSU to WVU. Last year we saw Charlie Sizzle xfer from Iowa to Purdue. WVU got a TON of kids via the portal for this year's team.

I think we see Franklin coaching differently this season. He is making an effort to keep talented kids who are blocked on the roster by expanding the rotation. And I don't think NIL is making a big of an impact as was feared. That star QB or WR isn't going to be very good if the jimmys and joes in front of him are capable and the D doesn't get him the ball.
If these kids want to see what it’s like at the next level, then the transfer portal needs to be more limiting. NFL players are more locked in to a team than college kids and there’s something wrong with that. And for every transfer a smaller school gets, they lose two or three more to bigger programs. Like everything else in college football, these changes will simply make the big programs better.

Reactions: indynittany
Because there is money in the state. lol. I live in WV. We don't have professional teams. We definitely have poor people just like PA does. However, many people earn good wages too and support our school and teams. Plus, check the stat on booster contributions for PSU. There was a report released recently that showed the rankings of booster donations. Pretty sure for such a large and fine school, PSU was not very much higher with per year donations compared to WVU, who ranked 27th.

WVU has some prominent donors that give generously and many $1000-$5000 per year donors.. Additionally, our collective, Country Roads Trust, is one of the top collectives right now.
I didn’t compare them to PSU, did I? I compared them to Bama, Georgia and OSU. I lived in WV for 22 years, I know quite a lot about the state and overall, there isn’t much money.

Reactions: WV Bruno
Actually it’s a very good comparison…just like the NFL, college football needs the older fans…we have the interest and the money.

Actually it’s a very good comparison…just like the NFL, college football needs the older fans…we have the interest and the money.
And we're not going anywhere despite empty threats. This isn't like Miller Lite. Miller Lite was a cheap product that can easily be replaced. College football isn't.

And we're not going anywhere despite empty threats. This isn't like Miller Lite. Miller Lite was a cheap product that can easily be replaced. College football isn't.
It was Bud Light, but that’s not the point. The point is it’s perfectly fine to try and appeal to a different consumer base, but you don’t piss off your current base. I’m not going anywhere, but unlike you I don’t have the arrogance to think I speak for everyone in my demographic.

If these kids want to see what it’s like at the next level, then the transfer portal needs to be more limiting. NFL players are more locked in to a team than college kids and there’s something wrong with that. And for every transfer a smaller school gets, they lose two or three more to bigger programs. Like everything else in college football, these changes will simply make the big programs better.
Agree and disagree. The portal gives the kids leverage and I am OK with that. The colleges are clearly more accommodating now. And to negotiate anything will take some kind of player's representation (a union). Then they can negotiate a collective bargaining agreement. If limiting the portal is that important to these wealthy universities, they'll have to give up something else (pay, lifetime healthcare, more years in which to get an advanced degree, etc.)

It was Bud Light, but that’s not the point. The point is it’s perfectly fine to try and appeal to a different consumer base, but you don’t piss off your current base. I’m not going anywhere, but unlike you I don’t have the arrogance to think I speak for everyone in my demographic.
I apologize. Bud Light.
Ratings and even attendance support people aren't going anywhere. It's too much a part of society...and betting only will help it grow. I don't need to know what everyone is thinking when there's trends.
And, the point remains, the portal and paying players isn't comparable to Bud Light's ad campaign. It's just not even remotely the same.

I apologize. Bud Light.
Ratings and even attendance support people aren't going anywhere. It's too much a part of society...and betting only will help it grow. I don't need to know what everyone is thinking when there's trends.
And, the point remains, the portal and paying players isn't comparable to Bud Light's ad campaign. It's just not even remotely the same.
It is if they’re doing it to try and attract a younger audience.

It is if they’re doing it to try and attract a younger audience.
Bud Light wasn't looking younger. They were banking on diversity. That diversity isn't limited to "younger". Nor is this decision political in any way. Bud Light went against a conservative consumer base believing they'd keep them with a substandard product. For loyalty to exist you need more than that. Like graduating from a University and/or following them for decades.

Da Nittany Lions 104 Mountaineers 14

And to a certain fan base that resides in Morgantown WV. Put daaaat in urrr methpipes and smoke it.

• Haha
Bud Light wasn't looking younger. They were banking on diversity. That diversity isn't limited to "younger". Nor is this decision political in any way. Bud Light went against a conservative consumer base believing they'd keep them with a substandard product. For loyalty to exist you need more than that. Like graduating from a University and/or following them for decades.
Companies are under a lot of pressure from the likes of Blackrock to show how woke they can be.

PSU 38
WVU 0

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT