ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Penn State Men's Basketball upsets No.11 Wisconsin 87-83

Great start. But I'm back on the UD game and will watch the rest off the DVR........

Good start with good shooting but IMO they won't be able to sustain it if the don't involve Wahab.

Really interesting player rotations by State. Haven't watched them a lot this year- Brown, Lilley. O'Boyle again defending bigs.

Happy to be up 4 but coulda been more. #11 for Wisky lit up NW on Saturday in a really good game. Will be tough to hold on.

PSU lead down to 4 at half. PSU is still in the game because Hicks is 3-4 from 3pt range. Predictably Wisconsin outrebounded PSU 20-13.

Crowl continues to play great against PSU with 4-5 shooting and 5 rebounds. Wahab has no points, no rebounds, and 2 fouls. IMO that has to change for PSU to stay in this game.

Really interesting player rotations by State. Haven't watched them a lot this year- Brown, Lilley. O'Boyle again defending bigs.

Happy to be up 4 but coulda been more. #11 for Wisky lit up NW on Saturday in a really good game. Will be tough to hold on.
I like this coach and team, but one criticism is that the coaching staff seems to like playing O'Boyle more than they should.

Penn State hanging, up 4. Have to be better on defense against the dribble drive. Too easy for Wisky.

Very dumb foul by Clary followed by dumb foul by Kern. Wisconsin getting easy points with no time running off the clock.

PSU probably has to score 4 more pts to win this game because they can't stop Wisc in the paint.

Need to dial up a good play here. And cannot just keep fouling them. It is gifting them 2 points every trip.

OMG, Dunn fouls with no time off clock. Won't matter but it's unacceptable.

Real tough shot by Clary on previous possession. Also a huge block by Wahab on the play before that.

I didn't think PSU had a chance without much from Wahab and Wisconsin scoring at will in the paint and at the FT line. But 27 from Clary and 20 from Baldwin were enough. Great win.

Baldwin 4-5 from 3pt range after missing his previous 13 attempts. Tough to win that way but it worked tonight. Also credit to Lilkey. He's gradually improving.

Pretty poor night at the defensive end, but we picked a good night to have our best offensive night of the season. We did many of the things we need to do to win…force turnovers, get to the line, limit turnovers. Add in making our 3s, and it was a good recipe. Ace is playing more like himself, and Kern is playing with a lot more confidence at the offensive end.

If PSU fans only watch our games, they’d think that Crowl is an All-American…at least he’s only got one more season to go off on us.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
That's keeping them in the game.

Crowl 7-10, 10 rebounds.
Wisc has 12 more rebounds.
That is something that really hurts this team all year. What I did like though, was we didn't double down on Crowl in the post, let him have his points, and stayed out on the 3 point shooters. It worked real well.

Reactions: Parkland Fan
Pretty poor night at the defensive end, but we picked a good night to have our best offensive night of the season. We did many of the things we need to do to win…force turnovers, get to the line, limit turnovers. Add in making our 3s, and it was a good recipe. Ace is playing more like himself, and Kern is playing with a lot more confidence at the offensive end.

If PSU fans only watch our games, they’d think that Crowl is an All-American…at least he’s only got one more season to go off on us.
Take away some of the mental errors by Meech, and this was a decent defensive night. Wisconsin has a high scoring team, ranks 6th in the country in offense, is a tremendous 3 point shooting team. Wisconsin shot for a high average mostly because we didn't double down on Crowl, let him have his points, and stayed on the 3 point shooters. They made 7, but the last one was given to them as it meant nothing.

And by the way, Wisconsin had something like 2 field goals in the last 5.5 minutes of the game. Most of their scoring came at the free throw line, not all deserved.

At least two plays he rolled to the basket and got a pass and there was not a defender within 10 feet. I could have converted those.

I missed the whole first half and the beginning of the 2nd half, started watching with about 14 minutes left. From that point for about the next 4 minutes I noticed Wisky could just get to the rim with ease. Easily beating us off the dribble. They converted on like 5 or 6 straight possessions. Fortunately we were hot also and could hold on to the lead. Contrast this to the NW game where their run was comprised of them getting to the hoop essentially at will as we were getting beat like a drum off the dribble. But in that game the offense disappeared hence their big run and ball game.

Not sure what our season team defensive stats look like but if we want to have a pretty good season we need to tighten up the D. Maybe the stats don't support my opinion but just my observations.

In the post game Gard credited PSU with disrupting Wisky early- which set the tone and caused them to play "out of character." Specifically he credited Clary and Baldwin- but I think our whole team had moments where they hustle played positive outcomes.

However multiple times you could see frustration with the lack of rotation on the backside d. I recall Lilley gesturing at O'Boyle on the Crowl dunk. Myles Dread also discussed it frequently in the broadcast.

Boy it felt like we were going to lose like so many other times against them. They were in the bonus early and double bonus. I think the foul count was 10 vs 2. Others mentioned stupid late fouls.

Clary had a few dribbling errors which typically would be turnovers that worked out. The dunk off of the inbounds hot potato was a play that typically goes against us in these types of games. Last night it all broke in our favor.

The loss of Klesmit was huge- and we took advantage. That made up for some tough calls on Ace and Kern.

Every time I watch Wisconsin I think of Bo Ryan and what could have been here. Native of Chester and success at lower levels- his style would've been perfect for PSU. He was not without his challenges and controvery. Famously waiting until being in season to "retire" so his guy Gard had a chance was unconventional. Turns out he was right.

Great win- congrats to all who had a part- including the students and fans who ventured out.

As I posted last week, Utah St is the one with the great early returns in it.
And maybe in the end all win. I really like Odum at VCU. Shrew will eventually get Big East kids going to the smaller Catholic schools to go to the mothership- he has access to every kid at a parochial school in the country.

Rhodes could be a PSU lifer. Post game he commented about having everyone involved with the team as promoters- by just talking to other students and folks in State College. He mentioned listening- which is a big part of being sincere.

It seems like he is taking a similar approach to Chambers but with more homespun mannerisms. This may work out well all around.

LMAOROFL. Go away, far, far away negative nanny. Yes, your mama did love you brothers and sisters more.

OK, here's a criticism from an old timer. Back in the day we fought through the screens. Now it's all about switching but that creates mismatches even when it works and opponents being unguarded when it doesn't. I've noticed that Wahab & Lilley often switch to a player outside the paint leaving PSU with no inside defenders. That's one reason why we give up so many offensive rebounds.

OK, here's a criticism from an old timer. Back in the day we fought through the screens. Now it's all about switching but that creates mismatches even when it works and opponents being unguarded when it doesn't. I've noticed that Wahab & Lilley often switch to a player outside the paint leaving PSU with no inside defenders. That's one reason why we give up so many offensive rebounds.
Fighting through screens vs switching is for the most part schematically driven by the HC. If you're supposed to fight through but can't then the 'switch' communication needs to be made.

If you switch every time, that's by design. And your opponent will attempt to exploit those mismatches. I can't comment further as I have not been watching our team yet this year.

It's really become the norm throughout college hoops. Seems that everyone is more willing to switch from 1-5 these days, rather than fight through every screen. We really used it to our advantage last year, as it seemed like all you needed to do was set a screen to get a switch and get Pickett matched up with whoever you wanted on the other side.

Great win!! Rhoades's signature win. 1st win vs top 15 team since Jan 30 2021. Hopefully this propels us to some other upsets.
I am hoping this gives us confidence in inevitable close games to come. I really like Rhoades attitude toward his players. Don't beat them up after a loss. And keep them off this board so they don't get beat up on here.

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
And maybe in the end all win. I really like Odum at VCU. Shrew will eventually get Big East kids going to the smaller Catholic schools to go to the mothership- he has access to every kid at a parochial school in the country.

Rhodes could be a PSU lifer. Post game he commented about having everyone involved with the team as promoters- by just talking to other students and folks in State College. He mentioned listening- which is a big part of being sincere.

It seems like he is taking a similar approach to Chambers but with more homespun mannerisms. This may work out well all around.
the truth is, we probably got the better end of the deal by ending up with Rhoades. Shrewsberry has been mythologized based on last year and his connections to Stevens; but really last was a normal season that turned into a hot streak in the last two weeks. then he left he cupboard bare. if we hadn't gone through the coaching change, every game this year would be 30 minutes of Shrewsberry Jr., and i don't know that we would have seen a win last night

Reactions: NC2017 and 81b&w
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT