ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State moves into top-10 of CFP Rankings

Incorrect. As Herbstreit himself said just hours ago, "The Rose Bowl can, and quite possibly will, take Penn State even if Ohio State finishes 5th"
I’d be shocked. They’d have a lot of splainin to do

Reactions: psu00
My observation from the recent past is that rankings change quite a bit in the last week to 'justify' the match-ups that the bowls want (within the constraints of conference tie-ins and group-of-five obligations). Does anyone else remember things that way or is it my imagination. If I'm right, and if one of the big bowls wants PSU in particular, the Lions' ranking will magically change to reflect that.
really only for the top 4. Sometimes on the last ranking they put those 4 in the order they want to get the semifinals they want versus just ranking them from best to worst.

really only for the top 4. Sometimes on the last ranking they put those 4 in the order they want to get the semifinals they want versus just ranking them from best to worst.
When there’s two SEC teams they make sure one is #1 and the other is #2 or #3. They have to keep the all SEC finals hope alive.

Just also beat UMich &/or tOSU in '23 (@ least 11-1) then I won't have to see all those anti HCJF posts/responses here.
Next%20Big%2012%20Champs_zpsq91cjk2r.png
That shouldn't be a problem....who beat them this year?

My observation from the recent past is that rankings change quite a bit in the last week to 'justify' the match-ups that the bowls want (within the constraints of conference tie-ins and group-of-five obligations). Does anyone else remember things that way or is it my imagination. If I'm right, and if one of the big bowls wants PSU in particular, the Lions' ranking will magically change to reflect that.
If we were going to jump Tennessee it would have been this week

Reactions: bdgan
The more Dabo spun the 'little ole Clemson' yarn, in my opinion, the more the hate grew. Multimillion dollar facilities, multimillion dollar assistant coaches - the exact opposite of the crap he was selling. Clemson has moved right onto my list of teams that I can never see lose enough.
Alright, since I know some are wondering, others on the list are:
Notre Dame arrogant
Meatchicken more arrogant
FSU bury the tomahawk chant and essence of good ole boy bb
Nebraska amazing how their linemen have gotten smaller.Wonder why
Iowa nasty fans. Children of the corn
Miami Goes back to the fiesta bowl
Clemson Dabo seems to be A major phony

Reactions: okinburg1
We always struggle with this concept on the board, but 2 realities can be true at the same time. Clemson was not a great football team this year in a year when there simply aren't a lot of great football teams. Clemson does play in a weak conference. Clemson is deserving of their brand recognition and have proven to be worthy on the field. Over the last 10 years or so, when they have played big games against tough competition, they have won(evidenced by their 2 NC trophies). They twice beat an Alabama team nobody in the country could beat those years 2016/2018(dominated in '18). Clemson is not a fake program by any means....they have been one of the very best over the last 6-8 years. They are not a great football team this year.

We always struggle with this concept on the board, but 2 realities can be true at the same time. Clemson was not a great football team this year in a year when there simply aren't a lot of great football teams. Clemson does play in a weak conference. Clemson is deserving of their brand recognition and have proven to be worthy on the field. Over the last 10 years or so, when they have played big games against tough competition, they have won(evidenced by their 2 NC trophies). They twice beat an Alabama team nobody in the country could beat those years 2016/2018(dominated in '18). Clemson is not a fake program by any means....they have been one of the very best over the last 6-8 years. They are not a great football team this year.
I agree with everything in your post, although I'll add that they also had a down year for them in 2021, so maybe a pattern is developing. Obviously, they haven't been able to replace Lawrence such that they now are losing to and struggling with lesser teams, and can't be classified as an elite team right now.

Just within the last week or two, they actually were ranked around 7th or 8th after getting blown out by a three-loss ND and struggling in several other games, which was ridiculous and just because of what that program did when Lawrence was their qb.

Last edited:
Reactions: bourbon n blues
They won two national championships in the last ten years.

d861d2f8-c2a5-4c42-8af2-1834567b4eb1_text.gif

The two aren't mutually exclusive. His personality doesn't seem genuine (which to be fair is probably true for the majority of public figures). Still waiting for him to retire now that players are getting paid.

Agreed with this--they've earned their reputation and brand. DJU just isn't a good enough for them to seriously contend or be a top 10 team right now

Utah wins, PSU vs Utah in Rose

Utah loses BUT TCU loses, PSU vs Wash in Rose

Utah loses and TCU wins, O$U in Rose. PSU to Cotton assuming LSU loses

Not necessarily, the Rose is entitled to select a Conference representative replacement for the Conference Champion selected for CFP 4-Team Invitational from several as long as they are ranked close to one another.

People are overcomplicating this
Scenarios
Utah wins (no other games matter)--Penn State vs. Utah in the Rose Bowl

USC wins, TCU wins--Ohio State vs. Washington in the Rose Bowl

USC wins, K-State wins, Ohio State goes to 4--Penn State vs. Washington in the Rose Bowl

USC wins, K-State wins, TCU stays ahead of Ohio State--Ohio State vs. Washington in the Rose

If you want the Rose just root for Utah and you're set.

What odds did it give TCU? OSU only needs TCU or USC to lose and TCU is probably in with a loss if USC loses to the team that already beat them.

Utah - USC was either team slightly favored ESPN vs Vegas. 50%. 20% USC in CCP would imply large possibility that Ohio State on an off week or 2 class Clempson or 3 loss LSU would pass them. USC should be in if they win.

ADVERTISEMENT