ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Penn State shocks No. 12 Illinois in 90-89 win at Rec Hall

ILL had a 7 pt lead and the ball with 40 seconds to go. They should never have lost.

Shannon missed a jumper instead of running the clock down. Coleman missed 2 FTs. They turned the ball over under the basket. They fouled Hicks on a 3 pt shot.

But give PSU credit for keeping up the fight. Brown made a 3, Johnson got the steal and scored, and Hicks made his 3 FTs. 8 pts in the last 35 seconds.
Do you realize how difficult it is to make three free throws with seconds left to win a ballgame? That was ultra clutch. Nice job, young man.

Last edited:
The real head-scratcher in all this is how we didn't get whistled for some BS foul on Illinois' last possession. That is automatic in this situation.
A foul could easily have been called there. 4 seconds to drive the length of the floor for another layup but fortunately it was contested just enough to cause him to miss.

A foul could easily have been called there. 4 seconds to drive the length of the floor for another layup but fortunately it was contested just enough to cause him to miss.
I got a pretty good idea that if Shannon had taken that shot, a foul would have been called.

Reactions: Kasparaitis
The GA Tech game comes to mind.

Yeah they should do it in reverse, play most games at rec hall and have the “special” game at the BJC… there’d be such demand for that one game because rec hall would have to be rationed it would actually fill it.
How about building a 10,000 seat arena for basketball with intimate seating…it can be done, and it should be done.

I agree that the atmosphere at Rec Hall is great…but, if you want to build this program, you need an arena that’s going to attract recruits. A 100 year old building that is more or less a glorified gym is not going to do it.

Amazing stats. PSU was 35-65 (54%) from the field which only gave ILL 30 opportunities for defensive rebounds except for missed FTs. ILL had 30 defensive rebounds

PSU was outrebounded 49-25 in spite of shooting 54%. Offensive rebounds favored ILL 19-5.

On the flip side PSU won turnovers 18-6.

How about building a 10,000 seat arena for basketball with intimate seating…it can be done, and it should be done.

I agree that the atmosphere at Rec Hall is great…but, if you want to build this program, you need an arena that’s going to attract recruits. A 100 year old building that is more or less a glorified gym is not going to do it.
Not going to happen

The real head-scratcher in all this is how we didn't get whistled for some BS foul on Illinois' last possession. That is automatic in this situation.
I am pretty sure if it was Shannon driving to the bucket in those last seconds he would have gotten a phantom call.

Reactions: AWS1022
Very little contact. Would have been a total horse s##t call like vs Ga Tech.

What's the price tag on it? $200 million? $300 million? "Can" and "Should" are easy to say when we ignore trying to figure out how to pay for it.

Friends at the game say that many of the empty seats in ends/corners are student seats but still some other empties around. Hard to believe we can't fill up Rec Hall for a game vs #12 team. All of the yapping of us being able to build a consistent program start with fan interest/support. Bardo just echoed that point on BTN.
When a school has more teams do you think the fans can support all of them?

I would like to see total attendance for all sports combined by school.

Maybe Psu has too many sports. Just a theory but I think Less teams will result in more support for the remaining teams.

I thought the officiating was really good, and consistent, tonight (interesting to see Bert Smith doing a few of our games as of late). I don't love how they are calling the block/charge this season, but it seems to be relatively the same night in and night out across the country (that being that it needs to be really obvious to be called a charge).

We now have a decent shot for 9-11 in conference. That could get us a 9 seed. We would hold a tiebreaker advantage over IU and Rutgers if we beat IU Saturday.

We now have a decent shot for 9-11 in conference. That could get us a 9 seed. We would hold a tiebreaker advantage over IU and Rutgers if we beat IU Saturday.
Tonight helps with tiebreakers over anyone that we split with too (ie, Indiana if they did beat us this weekend, Maryland if we can beat them at home, or Iowa if they beat us but then lose enough down the stretch).

I thought the officiating was really good, and consistent, tonight (interesting to see Bert Smith doing a few of our games as of late). I don't love how they are calling the block/charge this season, but it seems to be relatively the same night in and night out across the country (that being that it needs to be really obvious to be called a charge).
For the most part I thought they did well too except I think Shannon got a little bit of the Michael Jordan treatment. Kern would’ve been to the line more often if he got the same type of treatment. There was a lot of bumping and hacking going on, but one player got to the line way more than anyone else.

Cameron at Duke reminded me a bit of Rec Hall. A bit larger but same vibe.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
For the most part I thought they did well too except I think Shannon got a little bit of the Michael Jordan treatment. Kern would’ve been to the line more often if he got the same type of treatment. There was a lot of bumping and hacking going on, but one player got to the line way more than anyone else.
I think most of that was Shannon just being such a tough matchup for us (and everyone). He really attacks the basket and has been getting to the line at a high rate for years now. We just don't have anyone that can stay in front of him (then again, many other teams don't either).

If I'm Underwood, I'm not thrilled with how many 3's he takes. 138 two pointers vs 133 three pointers...and 6 games in a row now that he's taken at least 7 threes. He needs to attack the paint even more and settle for fewer jumpers.

It's a "what could have been" type of season for PSU. They had some inexplicable early losses in the season vs teams like Bucknell and Ga Tech. Win those and we're looking at an NIT bid. I guess it's still possible but it will be quite an uphill battle.

The season has still been better than expected from a team only returning 3 (now 2) players.

Reactions: bison13
GG58OgOXwAA4CDE

It's a "what could have been" type of season for PSU. They had some inexplicable early losses in the season vs teams like Bucknell and Ga Tech. Win those and we're looking at an NIT bid. I guess it's still possible but it will be quite an uphill battle.

The season has still been better than expected from a team only returning 3 (now 2) players.
We didn't lose vs Georgia Tech. Don't forget this, the moronic ref completely screwed us. A horrible, horrible call that decided a game. Just despicable and that ref should never ref again.

Count a win vs Tech, we beat Bucknell and don't blow the 2nd half vs Minny then we are looking good at this point. 13-14 and 7-9 in conference turns into 16-11 and 8-8 in conference and a decent shot to dance.

We didn't lose vs Georgia Tech. Don't forget this, the moronic ref completely screwed us. A horrible, horrible call that decided a game. Just despicable and that ref should never ref again.

Count a win vs Tech, we beat Bucknell and don't blow the 2nd half vs Minny then we are looking good at this point. 13-14 and 7-9 in conference turns into 16-11 and 8-8 in conference and a decent shot to dance.
I actually had a good feeling about this game because even good teams struggle when they have to play a road game in a truly hostile environment. There's no doubt in my mind that playing this game in Rec Hall played a big part in this win. My guess is that if this game at been played at the BJC, we would've lost by 8 to 10 points like against MSU. On the other hand, PSU might be undefeated at home in the Big 10 if they had played every game at Rec Hall.

I actually had a good feeling about this game because even good teams struggle when they have to play a road game in a truly hostile environment. There's no doubt in my mind that playing this game in Rec Hall played a big part in this win. My guess is that if this game at been played at the BJC, we would've lost by 8 to 10 points like against MSU. On the other hand, PSU might be undefeated at home in the Big 10 if they had played every game at Rec Hall.
I did too. And even when we were down 2 and Illini going to the line I had this strange good feeling we were going to win. The crowd was so pumped it lifted the team. It was like we were up 2 at that point.

Did you notice how Hawkins was irritated on the line before his foul shots? Like the ref did not give him the ball soon enough or what? Go back and watch, he definitely looks annoyed. That probably threw him off.

It will be important to finish the season strong. I hope we can get 3 more wins and that includes the BTT. I'll take more but winning at Iowa or Minny will be very difficult. Both teams are playing well.

I will be happy for the program with a trip to the dance two years in a row. A Micah Shrewsberry vs Mike Rhoades matchup would really be something!

Reactions: WaylonJ
I will be happy for the program with a trip to the dance two years in a row. A Micah Shrewsberry vs Mike Rhoades matchup would really be something!

Or instead, we get such a good seed that we're getting Pat Chambers or Jim Ferry in the first round! :)
Time to ease off the mushrooms, mates!🤪

Irrespective of the coach, I have also said this for a long time. To create some momentum we need to make the tournament two years in a row, not once every ten or twelve. Hell there are schools that go decades without missing it. Seems every time we sneak into the dance it's followed by at least four years of abject failure and three years of near-miss, etc. Easier said than done, I know.

Reactions: OldiesAtTheGaff
Or instead, we get such a good seed that we're getting Pat Chambers or Jim Ferry in the first round! :)
Chambers' team isn't dancing this year. But they do have a nice PF #32 that I wouldn't mind having at PSU.

Chambers' team isn't dancing this year. But they do have a nice PF #32 that I wouldn't mind having at PSU.
He's a PA kid too (though pretty sure he's out of eligibility after this year).

Really, their season starts in two weeks...A Sun tourney is pretty wide open, so they've got a much better chance that we do at this point.

Reactions: bdgan
I think most of that was Shannon just being such a tough matchup for us (and everyone). He really attacks the basket and has been getting to the line at a high rate for years now. We just don't have anyone that can stay in front of him (then again, many other teams don't either).

If I'm Underwood, I'm not thrilled with how many 3's he takes. 138 two pointers vs 133 three pointers...and 6 games in a row now that he's taken at least 7 threes. He needs to attack the paint even more and settle for fewer jumpers.
We’ve played against a ton of tough matchups and guys we couldn’t stay in front of and they didn’t get 19 free throws. I think Shannon is good at throwing his head back or grunting the right way to make it seem like a foul. The one foul where he got to shoot one and one wasn’t even close to a foul, but he fell to the side like it was. He seems to play the officials as well as he plays the game…so good for him to be able to do it, shame on the refs for falling for it every time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT