ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State v. Indiana Dual Thread (2/5/23)

Tom already said “off the mat he’s a nice guy, on the mat, he’s a mean little bastard.”
While that is convenient, the rumor since his high school days was that he's an asshole both on and off the mat. Admittedly, I have no idea if it's true, just what I've heard.

I don't really care, was just seeing if jsnumbers was willing to say the same about an Iowa guy that face mushed a teammate and ran his mouth after a match or if it only applies to PSU guys.

I think we all remember Cenzo calling out and threatening to fight Keaton Subjeck, and Mark Hall’s infamous throat slash and best Triple H “suck it” impression toward Alex Meyer several years later.

Edit: forgot about last year when Cael called Paul Jenn’s dad collect and threatened to beat him up.
Don’t recall those lol.

Reactions: Fatmarc and mcpat
While that is convenient, the rumor since his high school days was that he's an asshole both on and off the mat. Admittedly, I have no idea if it's true, just what I've heard.

I don't really care, was just seeing if jsnumbers was willing to say the same about an Iowa guy that face mushed a teammate and ran his mouth after a match or if it only applies to PSU guys.
As an aside my kid told me country music stars Zach Bryan and Chris Stapleton can be big tools.
The former was a buddy of his who grew up in Bryan’s town, the latter was the owner of the Muscle Shoals studies.
All anecdotal . A friend told me Darius Rucker is a dick to fans, but when I met him he was pretty decent and bought me two shots of Jim Beam.
So I’d say it’s best to take it all with a grain of salt . Oh , we met the lead singer of cheap trick up in Syracuse in 2026. He was very nice and hung out with us for awhile .

Some more backstory from the Collegian:

“According to Starocci, the rivalry between the two was more sparked by Washington’s actions after the match rather than the loss itself. Starocci said that Washington would “give [him] the stare down” at wrestling tournaments following Washington’s 10-9 decision.”

It’s all starting to make sense.
The stink eye?! Well then…if I’d have only known that was a justification I’d have killed at least a dozen people during Covid.

As an aside my kid told me country music stars Zach Bryan and Chris Stapleton can be big tools.
The former was a buddy of his who grew up in Bryan’s town, the latter was the owner of the Muscle Shoals studies.
All anecdotal . A friend told me Darius Rucker is a dick to fans, but when I met him he was pretty decent and bought me two shots of Jim Beam.
So I’d say it’s best to take it all with a grain of salt . Oh , we met the lead singer of cheap trick up in Syracuse in 2026. He was very nice and hung out with us for awhile .
Ice? Maybe.
Mountain Dew? Sure

Salt??

Are you sure you werent drinking tequila?

• Haha
Reactions: bourbon n blues
I was at the match yesterday. I sat with my sons wrestling coach who wrestle for IU and the former team doctor for Iowa under Dan Gable who now coaches a youth program. Both have been around college wrestling for over 30 years. I heard many interesting stories about Iowa and some funny ones about the Brands brothers. This guy's still talks to them today.

They where both impressed with Levi Haines. Both feel he is going to do well at the NCAAs. They talked about his small in match adjustments. It took him a few times being in a position to learn how to score from it. They where also impressed with Carter's gas tank and how he broke DJ. It was clear to everyone in the gym that DJ wanted no part Carter after the 1st period. There is clearly dislike between both Carter and DJ. After the match we talked about how DJ should have been disqualified for stalling, not the pushing. That stuff sometimes happens in combat sports.

I do believe Carter was frustrated or disappointed that DJ wouldn't wrestle him during the 2nd or 3rd periods. I will say that after the match, I didn't see DJ again on or near the IU bench.

After Kerk's match there was several 100 people surround the PSU bench to get autographs and pictures. RBY signed autographs and took a picture with everyone of them until security made people move away. This was during the 2 extra matches.

The crowd was about 35-40% PSU fans, 5% IU fans and 60% Indiana high school wrestling teams there to watch PSU. I looked over and about 15 people where over on the IU side to get an autograph.

Cael was mobbed by everyone including my buddy who wrestled for IU. He brought a Cael Olympics Wheaties box and Cael signed it.

Our other wrestle to stay around for an hour to sign autographs... Carter Starocci. He signed everything and posed for pictures with at least 300 people. I saw him lean down and talk to everyone of the little kids and signed singlets or whatever until security kicked all of us out of the arena. I'm not sure what our wrestlers deal with at PSU home matches, but they are mobbed at road duels.

Last edited:
Was it the most sportsmanlike display from Starocci? No, but I actually like seeing him a little aggressive. It's not like he crossed the line into intentionally trying to injure anyone. I hope this is like his moment like Spencer had where he was "forced" to wrestle Ayala and got pissed has gone scorched earth on the rest of the season. A more aggressive Starocci like that is going to be a lot more fun to watch.

I was at the match yesterday. I sat with my sons wrestling coach who wrestle for IU and the former team doctor for Iowa under Dan Gable who now coaches a youth program. Both have been around college wrestling for over 30 years. I heard many interesting stories about Iowa and some funny ones about the Brands brothers. This guy's still talks to them today.

They where both impressed with Levi Haines. Both feel he is going to do well at the NCAAs. They talked about his small in match adjustments. It took him a few times being in a position to learn how to score from it. They where also impressed with Carter's gas tank and how he broke DJ. It was clear to everyone in the gym that DJ wanted no part Carter after the 1st period. There is clearly dislike between both Carter and DJ. After the match we talked about how DJ should have been disqualified for stalling, not the pushing. That stuff sometimes happens in combat sports.

I do believe Carter was frustrated or disappointed that DJ wouldn't wrestle him during the 2nd or 3rd periods. I will say that after the match, I didn't see DJ again on or near the IU bench.

After Kerk's match there was several 100 people surround the PSU bench to get autographs and pictures. RBY signed autographs and took a picture with everyone of them until security made people move away. This was during the 2 extra matches.

The crowd was about 35-40% PSU fans, 5% IU fans and 60% Indiana high school wrestling teams there to watch PSU. I looked over and about 15 people where over on the IU side to get an autograph.

Cael was mobbed by everyone including my buddy who wrestled for IU. He brought a Cael Olympics Wheaties box and Cael signed it.

Our other wrestle to stay around for an hour to sign autographs, Carter Starocci. He signed everything and posed for pictures with at least 300 people. I saw him lean down and talk to everyone of the little kids and signed singlets or whatever until security kicked all of us out of the arena. I'm not sure what our wrestlers deal with at PSU matches but they are mobbed at road duels.
That's great to hear and a nice report, thanks.

Was it the most sportsmanlike display from Starocci? No, but I actually like seeing him a little aggressive. It's not like he crossed the line into intentionally trying to injure anyone. I hope this is like his moment like Spencer had where he was "forced" to wrestle Ayala and got pissed has gone scorched earth on the rest of the season. A more aggressive Starocci like that is going to be a lot more fun to watch.
Agreed.

100%. Carter was the problem today. Anybody thinking otherwise has fan blinders on.

Eventually, you all need to reckon with the god’s honest truth: Carter Starocci is a huge asshole. But he’s YOUR asshole and an incredible wrestler, so enjoy the product he puts on the mat.

Save your breath on defending him. It gets exhausting. Trust me, I went through it with Gilman and Desanto. Every sport has its villains. You guys finally have one!
We all have our own assholes, both figuratively and literally.

if you win no big deal but if you lose and talk shit well then its a big deal Cater can back it up by the way no one knows what was said after the match but losers usually talk trash just sayin! GO CARTER

js8793 and you know this how ,after CS won the other kid looked to be talking shit after his ass kicking!

On another topic, I'm watching the recording of the Michigan State/Illinois dual. In the 149 match there is a great example of why I would like to see teams increase the size of the out-of-bounds portion of their mats. The Illinois wrestler is in the splits and is able to get his toe out-of-bounds right as he gets pulled in and taken down. The 2nd official did a good job catching it (as did the Illinois staff) and the call was reversed. The out-of-bounds rules have made college wrestling immeasurably more exciting and it would be great if the mat sizes added to rather than took away from that excitement. I am sure price and space are issues, but I would imagine most schools could tape a three or four foot wide section of mat running the length of the four sides of the mat without too many issues.

Section 1. Mats Art. 1. Mat Specifications. Mats shall have a competition circle between 32 and 42 feet in diameter. There shall be a matted area with a minimum width of five feet that extends entirely around the competition circle. The competition circle and matted area shall be differentiated by the use of either contrasting colors or a 2-inch-wide line. This 2-inch-wide line that outlines the edge of the competition circle is part of the wrestling area and therefore in bounds. (See Diagram 1 at the end of Rule 1.) Note: Since shrinkage occurs in wrestling mats, it is recommended that when purchasing or reconditioning a mat, institutions indicate to the manufacturer that the final shrunken diameter shall be no less than 32 feet. Art. 2. Mat Safety Standards. The entire competition circle and surrounding matted area shall be the same thickness and all wrestling mats shall comply with the ASTM Specification Standard for wrestling mats. All mats that are in sections shall be secured together.
Kuhn pins Tomasello if Rec Hall had adequate mat boundary area.

Ahh yes…another thoughtful message from a non-biased, objective poster. Thanks for your input!

Question…Have you ever seen Terry Brands wrestle? Huge asshole or not…in your “objective“ opinion?
huge asshole 100%

Reactions: raslen007
On another topic, I'm watching the recording of the Michigan State/Illinois dual. In the 149 match there is a great example of why I would like to see teams increase the size of the out-of-bounds portion of their mats. The Illinois wrestler is in the splits and is able to get his toe out-of-bounds right as he gets pulled in and taken down. The 2nd official did a good job catching it (as did the Illinois staff) and the call was reversed. The out-of-bounds rules have made college wrestling immeasurably more exciting and it would be great if the mat sizes added to rather than took away from that excitement. I am sure price and space are issues, but I would imagine most schools could tape a three or four foot wide section of mat running the length of the four sides of the mat without too many issues.

Section 1. Mats Art. 1. Mat Specifications. Mats shall have a competition circle between 32 and 42 feet in diameter. There shall be a matted area with a minimum width of five feet that extends entirely around the competition circle. The competition circle and matted area shall be differentiated by the use of either contrasting colors or a 2-inch-wide line. This 2-inch-wide line that outlines the edge of the competition circle is part of the wrestling area and therefore in bounds. (See Diagram 1 at the end of Rule 1.) Note: Since shrinkage occurs in wrestling mats, it is recommended that when purchasing or reconditioning a mat, institutions indicate to the manufacturer that the final shrunken diameter shall be no less than 32 feet. Art. 2. Mat Safety Standards. The entire competition circle and surrounding matted area shall be the same thickness and all wrestling mats shall comply with the ASTM Specification Standard for wrestling mats. All mats that are in sections shall be secured together.
A) this is the reason HS’s cannot adopt the the same OOB rules. Or a least some can’t so it’s not adopted. Space for area OOB. It’s a shame because it dramatically objectifies the OOB ruling. Colleges? Meh, no excuse. There was even space this weekend on a small mat, and taped gym mats were along side. Just get a bigger mat with minimum circle and move on.

B) Washington had no problem setting up camp between the OOB and mat edge and staying there. Thank goodness the ref was smart enough to stop the action and tell him to get out of his tent or he might have to call stalling. -_____-

Holy Sheep Dip, what a thread. Twitter? Lmao. There is bad blood between these two wrestlers. Twitter did not create this. If you believe that, you're an idiot. They don't like each other. That's it.

Next. Ever raise chickens and get a number of cocks? They kill each other and no one gives a sh&t. You separate the cocks or one gets killed. And we're talking Twitter? Lmao. Sh&t happens, move along. Cael is the coach. If he feels things were inappropriate, he'll deal with it. Real sh&t happens on the mat. It also happens on a football field. Get the F over it. A big nothing burger.

after the TD Washington did nothing he should been disq by stall!

How anyone (without an agenda) can watch this video and claim Carter initiated the confrontation after the whistle is rather baffling:

You have a joker on here who claims that Carter was shoving his forearm into Washington after the whistle instigating the altercation - which is utter bullshit as the video clearly proves. The video starts with Carter riding Washington in the final seconds and Carter is pinning Washington face-down to the mat with his forearm on Washington's upper-back- which is perfectly legal. Carter stops doing this as the horn sounds ending the match (you can clearly hear the horn in the background and Carter is no longer trying to pin Washington to the mat - proof is that Washington has risen to his knees as the horn is still sounding!). Carter is then attempting to get off Washington and get up to his feet and Washington is attempting to violently rise to his feet and back into Carter (again you can clearly hear the horn is still sounding while this is happening). Washington continues to back into Carter as he is getting up from the top position and as he comes to his feet, Washington wheels 180 degrees and immediately gets in Carter's face.

The same jabroni who claimed Carter starts it also makes the wholly made-up bullshit claim that Casey Cunningham came out and "grabbed Starrocci" - which the video again proves without question is a completely made-up BULLSHIT claim - Casey Cunningham never touches Starrocci - he walks up beside him and, if I had to guess, tells him to shake hands so the Ref can close the match. When Washington wheels after getting up and gets directly in Carter's face, one of the mat Officials gets directly in front of Washington and starts walking him backward. As he does this, the other mat Official stands in front of Carter, but at no point does anyone grab Carter in any way. The same cannot be said about Washington - as soon as the mat Official brings him back to center to raise Carter's hand, Washington clearly attempts to go at Starrocci again, to the point where the mat Official has to get in front of him and then Washington's coach has to physically grab him while standing in front of him and push him backwards off the mat. Washington is the only party who had to be restrained by their coach, grabbed by their coach and pushed off the mat by their coach. The party's claim on here that Carter was grabbed by Cunningham or Cael notwithstanding.

Lastly, this party goes into some nonsensical screed about anyone with two eyes would see his bullshit claims when the sportswriter who posted the tweet with the video, who is not a fan of either team, sees the instigator DIAMETRICALLY opposite the know-it-all (and in line with what I see), but I guess the person who posted, and commented upon, the freaking video doesn't count as "any person with two eyes". LMFAO

Oh , we met the lead singer of cheap trick up in Syracuse in 2026
Michael J Fox Marty GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

Folks act as if athletes don't loose their sh&t on the mat or other sports. Life ain't pretty and athletes make bad decisions. That's new? Penn State athletes are perfect? Give it a rest. Cael will handle the team. Athletes are human and they make mistakes.

Meanwhile, I just had a Chinese spy balloon fly over my area in NC and no one here gives a sh&t!

LIGHTEN UP FOLKS. IT'S NOT THE END OF THE WORLD.

Bottom line to all this ridiculous drama. Cael will handle it. Furthermore, it doesn't matter if you were mat side. Only 4 people actually knew what has taken place. 2 wrestlers and 2 coaches.

Folks act as if athletes don't loose their sh&t on the mat or other sports. Life ain't pretty and athletes make bad decisions. That's new? Penn State athletes are perfect? Give it a rest. Cael will handle the team. Athletes are human and they make mistakes.

Meanwhile, I just had a Chinese spy balloon fly over my area in NC and no one here gives a sh&t!

LIGHTEN UP FOLKS. IT'S NOT THE END OF THE WORLD.
Yet.

How anyone (without an agenda) can watch this video and claim Carter initiated the confrontation after the whistle is rather baffling:

You have a joker on here who claims that Carter was shoving his forearm into Washington after the whistle instigating the altercation - which is utter bullshit as the video clearly proves. The video starts with Carter riding Washington in the final seconds and Carter is pinning Washington face-down to the mat with his forearm on Washington's upper-back- which is perfectly legal. Carter stops doing this as the horn sounds ending the match (you can clearly hear the horn in the background and Carter is no longer trying to pin Washington to the mat - proof is that Washington has risen to his knees as the horn is still sounding!). Carter is then attempting to get off Washington and get up to his feet and Washington is attempting to violently rise to his feet and back into Carter (again you can clearly hear the horn is still sounding while this is happening). Washington continues to back into Carter as he is getting up from the top position and as he comes to his feet, Washington wheels 180 degrees and immediately gets in Carter's face.

The same jabroni who claimed Carter starts it also makes the wholly made-up bullshit claim that Casey Cunningham came out and "grabbed Starrocci" - which the video again proves without question is a completely made-up BULLSHIT claim - Casey Cunningham never touches Starrocci - he walks up beside him and, if I had to guess, tells him to shake hands so the Ref can close the match. When Washington wheels after getting up and gets directly in Carter's face, one of the mat Officials gets directly in front of Washington and starts walking him backward. As he does this, the other mat Official stands in front of Carter, but at no point does anyone grab Carter in any way. The same cannot be said about Washington - as soon as the mat Official brings him back to center to raise Carter's hand, Washington clearly attempts to go at Starrocci again, to the point where the mat Official has to get in front of him and then Washington's coach has to physically grab him while standing in front of him and push him backwards off the mat. Washington is the only party who had to be restrained by their coach, grabbed by their coach and pushed off the mat by their coach. The party's claim on here that Carter was grabbed by Cunningham or Cael notwithstanding.

Lastly, this party goes into some nonsensical screed about anyone with two eyes would see his bullshit claims when the sportswriter who posted the tweet with the video, who is not a fan of either team, sees the instigator DIAMETRICALLY opposite the know-it-all (and in line with what I see), but I guess the person who posted, and commented upon, the freaking video doesn't count as "any person with two eyes". LMFAO
Can you re-post this with time-stamps and still-frames?

ADVERTISEMENT