ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State v. Indiana Dual Thread (2/5/23)

Read his comment. He said he wished they didn’t break it up. That insinuate he wishes Carter would have done more to him. Nobody said that is what happened.
You are so much better when you take the Giffy route. I really don't want to have to call in another Hawk poster to replace you Madden. I like you... lol

It’s hard. He’s like the baby wildebeest separated from the herd. So easy to attack. However, he never dies like they do on the Discovery channel.
He seems easy to attack because his arguments are never informed and rarely based on salient or factual underpinning.

But, in fact, it's difficult. Twain is credited with a couple of great quotes on the subject:

"Never argue with fools. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Sounds like your beef is with the officiating then.
Shocked GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Haha
Reactions: Reslo
I will agree with the Gilman and Starocci comparisons. Not the Desanto. Desanto was way different.

I will share a story. I didn't know much about UFC 5 years ago. A cute wrestling mom invited me over to watch an event. I didn't know one guy competing, except for Connor McGregor(sp?). Connor was a trash talker before the match. Then performed his best during the match. And respected his oppenent after. Later in his career he said that's his plan.

Hype, work, respect. That's how to make money in the combat game.

That is exactly what Carter did for this match.
Well, two outta three ain’t bad

• Haha
Reactions: Ski and hlstone
I'm an old, white man, indeed, won't deny that. I'm simply offering my opinion as are others. You disagree and that's perfectly fine. You may not have blamed Carter but others have been quite critical of him. Again, Washington had ample opportunity to kick Carter's butt during the match. He didn't.

On that note, I'm out on this one. Nothing more need be said, IMO.

On a slightly different note, just so you don't think I hate EVERY Iowa wrestler, I'm rooting for Warner to finish second to Max again at NCAAs. I'm not fond of his wrestling style, but he's always been a very classy guy. I also really kind of like Cassioppi as well. The others...well. Lol.

Interesting contrast.

You're okay with Carter's boorish behavior, but the reason you're rooting for Warner is that "he's always been a very classy guy".

Reactions: Ski and js8793
Van Ness vs Rooks NOW UP!

1st Period
Double leg TAKEDO.WN, Van Ness up 2-0.
Escape makes it 2-1.
Stall against Rooks, followed by a TAKEDOWN, Van Ness leads 4-2 after a Rooks escape.
Period ends after a Van Ness TAKEDOWN, leading 6-2.

2nd Period
Rooks down, gets the escape.
Van Ness with 1 minute RT.
Van Ness TAKEDOWN, up 8-3.
Escape Rooks, now 8-4.
Period ends

3rd Period
Van Ness neutral.
TAKEDOWN!! Van Ness up 10-4.
1:30 left. He has 1 good bit of RT.
Gives the escape, 10-5.
TAKEDOWN Van Ness, leads 12-5.
Locks up the cradle, but runs out of time. WINS 17-5!!
Hey ... I'm an old white man.
Knock it off fellas.
As are most wrestling fans. This is such bullshit, when did white men become such bad guys! Didn’t we build the American Dream?

What I'm hearing is likely a bunch of old, white, men telling the young gun how he should or should not behave, including just shut your mouth, act like you've been there before and "stay off the twitter".

Well, fellas, it's a new day and Twitter exists. Carter chose to talk smack on it, as some do, and he backed it up with a major decision. Washington wrestled a nice first period and then gassed and stalled his butt off to the point where it was simply ridiculous and a competent official would have stalled him out. In short, he had the opportunity to shut Carter up, on the mat, but he was incapable of doing so. Then, failing at that, he decided to act all tough and start some crap, after the whistle.

That's the long and short of it. Glad Carter is on my team and proud of his work ethic, drive, intensity and success. Don't change a bit, Carter. Not one bit.

WE ARE!!!
^^^^^^ Can always count on this mope for the race talk. Dude's obsessed ^^^^^

Reactions: Ski
You know what bothered me the most about the whole thing today? Seeing our Coach out there having to help break things up. It just felt so beneath the GOAT to me. I know it seems like a holier than thou opinion but Cael ALWAYS seems like he is in complete control of his environment and his athletes and its always done so effortlessly....like his boys dont want to disappoint him. The appearance of it all just didn't jive with the culture Cael has built within his program.

You know what bothered me the most about the whole thing today? Seeing our Coach out there having to help break things up. It just felt so beneath the GOAT to me. I know it seems like a holier than thou opinion but Cael ALWAYS seems like he is in complete control of his environment and his athletes and its always done so effortlessly....like his boys dont want to disappoint him. The appearance of it all just didn't jive with the culture Cael has built within his program.
Well if it's any consolation consider what it took to get it there: The most controversial tweet by a wrestler with a history of them, followed by the other wrestler practically stalling himself out, followed by a thorough beat down, followed by a bizarre reaction by the same wrestler who basically tapped out of the same match that he suddenly was interested in again after getting hammered for 7 minutes....

That's not likely to happen again in that sequence, regardless of the opponent, now that it's resulted in the mess that we just saw.

Cael will handle it and Carter will behave better, but don't expect the ghost of Andy Matter to take over the twitter account either.

Totally agree with your take JTS. I hope that Aaron Brooks has a heart to heart talk with CStar. The way Aaron handled the end of his match at Nationals with Amine, when Amine was frustrated, is how it's done. Total class act when he could have chirped on Aaron's part.

I’m with you 100%

Could it be Carter took out his angst towards Arnold on Downtown Darnell? DJ didnt even respond to Carters tweet(s) though,did he? Hopefully the coaches reel this in, there isnt a place for it in NCAA.this wasnt quite as bad as Desanto’s kimura but still doesnt belong here.
I dont like the tweets, I dont like the shit-talk, and I dont like the dirty tactics. He went too far today.
Just wrestle.

All I care about is how Cael feels. Something tells me we as fans wont ever really know either way his thoughts.

All I care about is how Cael feels. Something tells me we as fans wont ever really know either way his thoughts.
If Carter tones down the rhetoric it will, to me, say a lot about how Cael felt about the situation. I'm expecting Carter to tone it down going forward.

Some more backstory from the Collegian:

“According to Starocci, the rivalry between the two was more sparked by Washington’s actions after the match rather than the loss itself. Starocci said that Washington would “give [him] the stare down” at wrestling tournaments following Washington’s 10-9 decision.”

It’s all starting to make sense.

“According to Starocci, the rivalry between the two was more sparked by Washington’s actions after the match rather than the loss itself. Starocci said that Washington would “give [him] the stare down” at wrestling tournaments following Washington’s 10-9 decision.”
See...Jesus Christ would just shrug that $hit off...

Here's an article on the topic - weird the Twitter feed they link on the bottom to close out the article has a diametric opposite take to the know-it-alls on here - go figure. And the video included with the Twitter post in support of his comments doesn't support the know-it-alls claims in any way - go figure. HERE'S THE LINK.

It’s all starting to make sense.
Are they teenage girls? It’s a combat sport ffs. Settle it on the mat.

Reactions: Hotshoe and Ski
100%. Carter was the problem today. Anybody thinking otherwise has fan blinders on.

Eventually, you all need to reckon with the god’s honest truth: Carter Starocci is a huge asshole. But he’s YOUR asshole and an incredible wrestler, so enjoy the product he puts on the mat.

Save your breath on defending him. It gets exhausting. Trust me, I went through it with Gilman and Desanto. Every sport has its villains. You guys finally have one!
I'm surprised I'm agreeing with you ever, but you are spot on here. I've mentioned a few times that I've competed and coached at this level and would have never done that or accepted that from one of my wrestlers. I appreciate Penn State and love the way they approach the sport and carry themselves. This was a big, big exception. The social media is tough but tolerable with today's kids. This isn't.

As are most wrestling fans. This is such bullshit, when did white men become such bad guys! Didn’t we build the American Dream?
Maybe not the wisest choice to wade into such a hot topic as race, but I view this Board like family, and lots of topics get discussed around the family dinner table that wouldn't be discussed elsewhere. I feel as a society we would be served much better by leaving race out of conversations that are not race related and especially not use someone's white race as a general put down. For instance, how come all "Karens" are white? It just seems like a way to disparage someone in large part because of their race (and obviously along with their entitled attitudes) without actually mentioning race. And why are all grumpy old men always white? : ) Imagine inserting a minority race instead of the word white. It doesn't sound too pleasant. And yes, I am an oldish (soon to be 59) white guy, but hopefully people won't pre-judge me because of my race and I will always do my best to judge a person by their character and not the color of their skin. Please also understand that even though my comments on this topic are brief, I am not unaware of the concepts of intersectionality, oppressed vs. oppressor/privileged, Liberation theology, etc. I just believe that not injecting race into an otherwise non-racial discussion would be helpful. I also don't mean to insinuate that this thread was over-the-top in this area. It just got me thinking about the topic. Thanks, Gaylon

Here's an article on the topic - weird the Twitter feed they link on the bottom to close out the article has a diametric opposite take to the know-it-alls on here - go figure. And the video included with the Twitter post in support of his comments doesn't support the know-it-alls claims in any way - go figure. HERE'S THE LINK.

Here's the Twitter that was linked to bottom of article - video included demonstrates that Washington clearly initiates the altercation directly after the whistle. Video also demonstrates that Washington keeps jawing and has to be taken off the mat by his coach as he continues to jaw, point and threaten which is positively hysterical given what a wuss he acted like while the match was being contested.

I thought that's what just happened? Did I miss something? Does the match no longer count? Should we add this to the "Yianni wasn't trying" category?
If they were getting chippy at each other prior , then after , then silliness ensues it doesn’t sound like it was over now, does it?
Because it obviously wasn’t over.

Reactions: Hotshoe and Ski
I just watched the replay and I see Washington getting up and getting in Carters face after the match. That's what I see.

Exactly - I just linked a video demonstrating the same thing. Not only that, but Washington has to be physically pushed off the mat by his Coach while he continues his jawwing, pointing and threats directed at Carter (who is doing nothing but leaving the mat - and Cael never says a word to him). The video looks nothing like what the Iowa trolls and their board sympathizer know-it-alls claim. Go figure.

I'm surprised I'm agreeing with you ever, but you are spot on here. I've mentioned a few times that I've competed and coached at this level and would have never done that or accepted that from one of my wrestlers. I appreciate Penn State and love the way they approach the sport and carry themselves. This was a big, big exception. The social media is tough but tolerable with today's kids. This isn't.

Washington initiated the altercation - ridiculous to claim a social-media posts justifies his actions on the mat. Utterly ridiculous.

Lol you all still talking about Cstar and Washington and I’m over here thinking about Beau Bartlett coming out that aggressive with a cradle and Levi Haines is the real deal. Paddy Gallagher had a big win over Trevor Chumbley today and Levi absolutely smoked Paddy on Friday. SVN and Facundo wrestled great as well and consistently got to their leg attacks.

Season is going great.

Lol you all still talking about Cstar and Washington and I’m over here thinking about Beau Bartlett coming out that aggressive with a cradle and Levi Haines is the real deal. Paddy Gallagher had a big win over Trevor Chumbley today and Levi absolutely smoked Paddy on Friday. SVN and Facundo wrestled great as well and consistently got to their leg attacks.

Season is going great.
Lol such a great post. We are so used to winning we dont even talk about it. Young guns performed well today.

Maybe not the wisest choice to wade into such a hot topic as race, but I view this Board like family, and lots of topics get discussed around the family dinner table that wouldn't be discussed elsewhere. I feel as a society we would be served much better by leaving race out of conversations that are not race related and especially not use someone's white race as a general put down. For instance, how come all "Karens" are white? It just seems like a way to disparage someone in large part because of their race (and obviously along with their entitled attitudes) without actually mentioning race. And why are all grumpy old men always white? : ) Imagine inserting a minority race instead of the word white. It doesn't sound too pleasant. And yes, I am an oldish (soon to be 59) white guy, but hopefully people won't pre-judge me because of my race and I will always do my best to judge a person by their character and not the color of their skin. Please also understand that even though my comments on this topic are brief, I am not unaware of the concepts of intersectionality, oppressed vs. oppressor/privileged, Liberation theology, etc. I just believe that not injecting race into an otherwise non-racial discussion would be helpful. I also don't mean to insinuate that this thread was over-the-top in this area. It just got me thinking about the topic. Thanks, Gaylon
When i think grumpy old men, i think of those hilarious guys in , Coming to America, in the barber shop. Oh, and Clint Eastwood. So both movies.

In real life, Im kind to people and they are usually kind to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT