ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State v. Indiana Dual Thread (2/5/23)

I was at the match yesterday. I sat with my sons wrestling coach who wrestle for IU and the former team doctor for Iowa under Dan Gable who now coaches a youth program. Both have been around college wrestling for over 30 years. I heard many interesting stories about Iowa and some funny ones about the Brands brothers. This guy's still talks to them today.

They where both impressed with Levi Haines. Both feel he is going to do well at the NCAAs. They talked about his small in match adjustments. It took him a few times being in a position to learn how to score from it. They where also impressed with Carter's gas tank and how he broke DJ. It was clear to everyone in the gym that DJ wanted no part Carter after the 1st period. There is clearly dislike between both Carter and DJ. After the match we talked about how DJ should have been disqualified for stalling, not the pushing. That stuff sometimes happens in combat sports.

I do believe Carter was frustrated or disappointed that DJ wouldn't wrestle him during the 2nd or 3rd periods. I will say that after the match, I didn't see DJ again on or near the IU bench.

After Kerk's match there was several 100 people surround the PSU bench to get autographs and pictures. RBY signed autographs and took a picture with everyone of them until security made people move away. This was during the 2 extra matches.

The crowd was about 35-40% PSU fans, 5% IU fans and 60% Indiana high school wrestling teams there to watch PSU. I looked over and about 15 people where over on the IU side to get an autograph.

Cael was mobbed by everyone including my buddy who wrestled for IU. He brought a Cael Olympics Wheaties box and Cael signed it.

Our other wrestle to stay around for an hour to sign autographs... Carter Starocci. He signed everything and posed for pictures with at least 300 people. I saw him lean down and talk to everyone of the little kids and signed singlets or whatever until security kicked all of us out of the arena. I'm not sure what our wrestlers deal with at PSU home matches, but they are mobbed at road duels.
I don't know any of you who post since I live in Indiana, but I know you now. If you remember, my wife and I were sitting on the first row when you and your friend climbed up behind us. I was the one who asked about the Wheaties box and we talked briefly. I took over three hundred photos of the match. At PSU they won't allow large professional DSLR cameras, but at Indiana it was fine [PSU needs to change their policy]. I also got really good quality video of the last 30 seconds of Carter's match and the rhubarb afterwards.
Whatever your thoughts on the squabble, Carter is really good with his fans. When Carter was signing autographs near the end of the last extra match, he mentioned that he would be back for those who were still waiting. He then went through the line shaking hands with Indiana. Then the entire PSU team headed for the locker room. Carter was the only one to turn around and come back to the pile of fans. I was the first to talk with him as he was walking off the mat. We were from the Erie area and my wife took a couple of shots of us. I still like him in spite of his flaws. I have flaws too. Perhaps I hide them better than he does.

I don't know any of you who post since I live in Indiana, but I know you now. If you remember, my wife and I were sitting on the first row when you and your friend climbed up behind us. I was the one who asked about the Wheaties box and we talked briefly. I took over three hundred photos of the match. At PSU they won't allow large professional DSLR cameras, but at Indiana it was fine [PSU needs to change their policy]. I also got really good quality video of the last 30 seconds of Carter's match and the rhubarb afterwards.
Whatever your thoughts on the squabble, Carter is really good with his fans. When Carter was signing autographs near the end of the last extra match, he mentioned that he would be back for those who were still waiting. He then went through the line shaking hands with Indiana. Then the entire PSU team headed for the locker room. Carter was the only one to turn around and come back to the pile of fans. I was the first to talk with him as he was walking off the mat. We were from the Erie area and my wife took a couple of shots of us. I still like him in spite of his flaws. I have flaws too. Perhaps I hide them better than he does.
Clearly, Carter was just trying to avoid Cael ... ;)

And two refs…. But your point stands!
And probably more than 1 coach per team . . . probably some teammates from each team . . . a few friends of the two wrestlers . . . and then most of those people probably have girlfriends/wives . . . Chinese spy balloons & tech companies . . . WikiLeaks . . . Google . . .

It’s only a matter of time before the fans sitting matside have some clue what happened. 😉

Reactions: RandyL
Yep, I remember you. My buddy was the guy honored during intermission. I wish I could have talked to Aaron after but I understand these guys are constantly getting the attention.

How anyone (without an agenda) can watch this video and claim Carter initiated the confrontation after the whistle is rather baffling:

You have a joker on here who claims that Carter was shoving his forearm into Washington after the whistle instigating the altercation - which is utter bullshit as the video clearly proves. The video starts with Carter riding Washington in the final seconds and Carter is pinning Washington face-down to the mat with his forearm on Washington's upper-back- which is perfectly legal. Carter stops doing this as the horn sounds ending the match (you can clearly hear the horn in the background and Carter is no longer trying to pin Washington to the mat - proof is that Washington has risen to his knees as the horn is still sounding!). Carter is then attempting to get off Washington and get up to his feet and Washington is attempting to violently rise to his feet and back into Carter (again you can clearly hear the horn is still sounding while this is happening). Washington continues to back into Carter as he is getting up from the top position and as he comes to his feet, Washington wheels 180 degrees and immediately gets in Carter's face.

The same jabroni who claimed Carter starts it also makes the wholly made-up bullshit claim that Casey Cunningham came out and "grabbed Starrocci" - which the video again proves without question is a completely made-up BULLSHIT claim - Casey Cunningham never touches Starrocci - he walks up beside him and, if I had to guess, tells him to shake hands so the Ref can close the match. When Washington wheels after getting up and gets directly in Carter's face, one of the mat Officials gets directly in front of Washington and starts walking him backward. As he does this, the other mat Official stands in front of Carter, but at no point does anyone grab Carter in any way. The same cannot be said about Washington - as soon as the mat Official brings him back to center to raise Carter's hand, Washington clearly attempts to go at Starrocci again, to the point where the mat Official has to get in front of him and then Washington's coach has to physically grab him while standing in front of him and push him backwards off the mat. Washington is the only party who had to be restrained by their coach, grabbed by their coach and pushed off the mat by their coach. The party's claim on here that Carter was grabbed by Cunningham or Cael notwithstanding.

Lastly, this party goes into some nonsensical screed about anyone with two eyes would see his bullshit claims when the sportswriter who posted the tweet with the video, who is not a fan of either team, sees the instigator DIAMETRICALLY opposite the know-it-all (and in line with what I see), but I guess the person who posted, and commented upon, the freaking video doesn't count as "any person with two eyes". LMFAO
WOW.....Where does one begin? :
1. Where does it say that Carter pushed his elbow into Washington's neck after the whistle? It doesn't
2. Where does it say that Carter initiated the confrontation? It doesn't
3. Where does it say Cunningham grabbed Carter? It doesn't
While I feel bad that you can't comprehend the written word......it is useless to try to have a conversation with someone who can't. You enjoy your fairy tales. You might want to start your posts with "Once Upon A Time" Goodbye

Reactions: WexfordWarrior
That’s the only time I heard anything about a punch.

I was at the match and found myself wondering how Ironhead was describing C* motioning to Washington to come back onto the mat.

Reactions: 7Springs
Here's an article on the topic - weird the Twitter feed they link on the bottom to close out the article has a diametric opposite take to the know-it-alls on here - go figure. And the video included with the Twitter post in support of his comments doesn't support the know-it-alls claims in any way - go figure. HERE'S THE LINK.
Well, that settles it. Somebody wrote it on the Internet.

As an aside my kid told me country music stars Zach Bryan and Chris Stapleton can be big tools.
The former was a buddy of his who grew up in Bryan’s town, the latter was the owner of the Muscle Shoals studies.
All anecdotal . A friend told me Darius Rucker is a dick to fans, but when I met him he was pretty decent and bought me two shots of Jim Beam.
So I’d say it’s best to take it all with a grain of salt . Oh , we met the lead singer of cheap trick up in Syracuse in 2026. He was very nice and hung out with us for awhile .
Darius stopped in at a little bar here in Johnstown. Was polite, humble and quite accommodating to the customers and enjoyed getting up and playing wagon wheel for everyone. I'd rather of heard Let Her Cry but ya know...

Darius stopped in at a little bar here in Johnstown. Was polite, humble and quite accommodating to the customers and enjoyed getting up and playing wagon wheel for everyone. I'd rather of heard Let Her Cry but ya know...
We saw Skynyrd was playing at the Bloomsburg fair like 20 ish years ago, so we got tickets. They had an illness or health issue somehow so they got Hootie and The blowfish to sub in and it was a great show. We had a few drinks downtown prior to heading to the hotel and my wife asked me if I wanted to leave. I told her not yet, the band just rolled in. She thought I was kidding until she saw them, he was a good fellow.

Who knows? Maybe a few times he was having a bad day and whatever? He was good to us though.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
That’s the only time I heard anything about a punch.

He didn't say a punch was thrown - he said, "....then all of the sudden after it’s over wants to act like he’s going to throw a punch". There's a huge difference between the two and you are clearly misquoting him insinuating that he claimed a punch was actually thrown.

BTW, the first thing that clearly demonstrates Washington was the aggressor is the mat Ref's actions of immediately getting in front of Washington, literally grabbing him and pushing him backwards away from Starocci (the official clearly saw Washington as the aggressor).

Another thing that very clearly demonstrates Washington as the aggressor is the fact that after they are separated and things calmed down, Washington completely ignores the Mat Ref's instructions to remove the ankle wraps, leave them at center mat and shake hands before he raises the winner's hand. The video CLEARLY shows that Starocci was listening to, and followed, the Mat Refs instructions removes his ankle wraps and allows the official to grab his wrist in preparation for hand raising, while Washington is ignoring the Mat Ref instructions, still aggressively jawing at Starocci and acting in an aggressive manner - to the point where his coach is restraining him and, in fact, NEVER removes his ankle bands. Completely ignores the Mat Ref's instructions and instead continues to act, and jaw, aggressively as Starocci is IGNORING HIM and doing as the Mat Ref instructed him to do.

In addition, here is a second person who is completely unaffiliated with either school who analyzes the end of the match and sees Washington as the clear initiator directly after the buzzer - not Starocci! Go figure!

Last edited:
The Princess Bride Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

He should stop play Wagon Wheel and leave it to Old Crow Medicine Show. It is as bad as Guns and Roses doing Knocking on Heavens Door.

I don't have problems with covers. I just feel like Rucker has tried to claim this as his own. Kind of like so many have recorded Pancho and Lefty and not mention that it came from Townes Van Zandt.
Some covers take off and yes I know Townes did it first. Shane Smith and the Saints did a nice cover of that too btw.
I mentioned whiskey in the jar because my wife heard Thin Litzy’s version and thought someone ripped off metallica.
I mansplained how Thin Lizzy did like twenty five years prior but the song actually has been around since maybe the 1600 or 1700s
She was mad at my super extra big brain man smartness.

Lizzy does it best but Metallica did it justice...Metallica whiffed badly on "Turn the page" though because that song requires singing which a$$hole Hetfield cannot do at all.

There are many instances where a "tribute" performance of a song is more popular/famous than the original. "All Along The Watchtower" being a good example (written and originally performed by Bob Dylan, but the more famous tribute performance by Jimmi Hendrix). "I Shot The Sherriff" another good example (Original written and performed by Bob Marley, but more famous tribute performances by Eric Clapton).

There are many instances where a "tribute" performance of a song is more popular/famous than the original. "All Along The Watchtower" being a good example (written and originally performed by Bob Dylan, but the more famous tribute performance by Jimmi Hendrix). "I Shot The Sherriff" another good example (Original written and performed by Bob Marley, but more famous tribute performances by Eric Clapton).
True

Lizzy does it best but Metallica did it justice...Metallica whiffed badly on "Turn the page" though because that song requires singing which a$$hole Hetfield cannot do at all.
Hetfield as vocalist -6
Seger as vocalist -7

Lets not mistake “performer” for vocalist.

Full discloser: Metallica is my GOAT.

#masharaindamadodamada

What I saw was Carter getting frustrated at Washington's stalling.

So there was a face mush or two, a pulling of a hammer lock to lift DJ off the mat getting called PD, and a push off DJ at the end of the match when Carter got off him for the last time.

Then DJ approached Carter. Then Carter with a one armed push. Then DJ going over the ref back at Carter. Then the handshake followed by Carter finger pointing with a few more words.

Sure, I believe noone exhibits their best judgment when they lose a calm state of mind. And I think it's best to keep maximally cool. But when it comes to D1 wrestling, I have to say this is a nothing burger in the big scheme of things.

Heck, nobody was deducted a team point and we all know that ref was at the top of his game. 😉
Exactly right! No team deduction by ref because this was a big nothing burger. Guys in the heat of battle are gonna jaw a little now and then. Our guys are not out of some cookie cutter. For every AB we are gonna see a wrestler with a bit of hot blood. Cael’s not running a cult.

Last edited:
Reactions: nitlion6
Almost every Dylan song is done better by other people. Watchtower (Hendrix), Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door (GnR), Tangled Up In Blue (JGB), Mr. Tambourine Man (Byrds), Dylan was/is a great song writer, not so great singer.

Marley > Clapton

Almost every Dylan song is done better by other people. Watchtower (Hendrix), Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door (GnR), Tangled Up In Blue (JGB), Mr. Tambourine Man (Byrds), Dylan was/is a great song writer, not so great singer.

Marley > Clapton
Agreed on all points start to finish .

I 2nd that.
Of particular note was Marley> Clapton which is not the common opine.

Addendum: John Lennon solo music sucks.
I’m not sure, both were giants . I’m born in the early sixties btw and imo I think Clapton was much more commercially successful. Reggae was more niche back then btw.
Want a controversial local pa opinion? The Badlees were better than Hootie, lolol

But Hootie dominated the music scene and pushed aside bands like this with the help of grunge .

For St. Paddy’s day I downloaded like ten different versions for a Whiskey In The Jar playlist lol.
I recommend diving into Irish music , I’m no expert but it’s great stuff. I’ll find some stuff and post it here.
The drop kick murphys are an obvious one, but there’s other smaller but interesting artists . To me it’s like red dirt/Texas country . A whole new genre to explore.

ADVERTISEMENT