ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State v. Indiana Dual Thread (2/5/23)

Here's the Twitter that was linked to bottom of article - video included demonstrates that Washington clearly initiates the altercation directly after the whistle. Video also demonstrates that Washington keeps jawing and has to be taken off the mat by his coach as he continues to jaw, point and threaten which is positively hysterical given what a wuss he acted like while the match was being contested.

BTW, this guy is not a fan of either program - he has a general sports page and just comments on current events or stuff he finds interesting.

Lol you all still talking about Cstar and Washington and I’m over here thinking about Beau Bartlett coming out that aggressive with a cradle and Levi Haines is the real deal. Paddy Gallagher had a big win over Trevor Chumbley today and Levi absolutely smoked Paddy on Friday. SVN and Facundo wrestled great as well and consistently got to their leg attacks.

Season is going great.
I agree with all you wrote except for Trevor losing. You should know that we love NU around these parts. Our favorite goalie is going there next year! :D

i think you look really stupid if you act like that when you're surrounded by guys like RBY, Brooks, and Kerkvliet who are some of the most likable, humble, and respectful guys in the sport AND are more exciting to watch on the mat.

I just watched the replay and I see Washington getting up and getting in Carters face after the match. That's what I see.

I just posted the video at end of match - it 100% diametrically disagrees with the claims made by the Iowa trolls and their know-it-all board sympathizers. Funny how there is nothing more factual than the video and the video demonstrates that the altercation was 100% initiated by Washington in stark contrast to the made up claims... but it's all crickets from the know-it-alls who supposedly want to deal in "facts", but really want to deal in their typical self-serving made up bullshit. (The party who made the Twitter post with the video is not a fan of either team - is unbiased in his view, but somehow sees it diametrically opposite from the Iowa trolls and their know-it-all sympathizers on here - go figure.).

Startin’ that chum line again?

work.jpg

i think you look really stupid if you act like that when you're surrounded by guys like RBY, Brooks, and Kerkvliet who are some of the most likable, humble, and respectful guys in the sport AND are more exciting to watch on the mat.

Says the a-hole who is loud of mouth and short of facts. The video demonstrates you're completely full of shit troll and that Washington was 100% the instigator. Not only the instigator, but the only one who continued to the point where he had to be pushed off the mat by his Coach while continuing his laughable and lame jawing, threats and pointing after illegally refusing to wrestle during the match.

Just my opinion but this shit took place three years ago in Carter's freshman year or something to that effect. Who cares I'm wondering why Carter was so amped up years later. I think it was what was mentioned above where he wanted to hype himself up for a match
He's Michael Jordan. He needs it.

What I saw was Carter getting frustrated at Washington's stalling.

So there was a face mush or two, a pulling of a hammer lock to lift DJ off the mat getting called PD, and a push off DJ at the end of the match when Carter got off him for the last time.

Then DJ approached Carter. Then Carter with a one armed push. Then DJ going over the ref back at Carter. Then the handshake followed by Carter finger pointing with a few more words.

Sure, I believe noone exhibits their best judgment when they lose a calm state of mind. And I think it's best to keep maximally cool. But when it comes to D1 wrestling, I have to say this is a nothing burger in the big scheme of things.

Heck, nobody was deducted a team point and we all know that ref was at the top of his game. 😉

Here's the Twitter that was linked to bottom of article - video included demonstrates that Washington clearly initiates the altercation directly after the whistle. Video also demonstrates that Washington keeps jawing and has to be taken off the mat by his coach as he continues to jaw, point and threaten which is positively hysterical given what a wuss he acted like while the match was being contested.

My biggest takeaway from the video is that the idiot student announcer legitimately thought that Cael and Escobedo were going to brawl on the mat lmao

Says the a-hole who is loud of mouth and short of facts. The video demonstrates you're completely full of shit troll and that Washington was 100% the instigator. Not only the instigator, but the only one who continued to the point where he had to be pushed off the mat by his Coach while continuing his laughable and lame jawing, threats and pointing after illegally refusing to wrestle during the match.

921b6ada52213bf9b4686d3bc02267af.jpg

The video starts with Carter pushing his elbow into Washington's neck while trying to turn him. The horn blows. Carter pushes Washington downward after the horn. The Ref is in the way but you can still see it. Nothing egregious but also unnecessary. Washington gets in Carter's face and the ref pulls Washington away. Carter stays close and pushes Washington......escalating the situation. Coaches grab their wrestlers and tell each to shake hands. They do but keep jawing. If you can't see Carter pointing and jawing after the handshake you are being willfully ignorant. We don't know what was said ( but you claim to know Washington was threatening someone...... DUHH ) but the coaches do. Coach Cunningham was pretty upset and Cael looked upset. Indiana's coach was equally upset with his wrestler. THAT is what is visible on the tape to anyone with their eyes open. I anxiously await your childish swearing and name calling.

Last edited:
On another topic, I'm watching the recording of the Michigan State/Illinois dual. In the 149 match there is a great example of why I would like to see teams increase the size of the out-of-bounds portion of their mats. The Illinois wrestler is in the splits and is able to get his toe out-of-bounds right as he gets pulled in and taken down. The 2nd official did a good job catching it (as did the Illinois staff) and the call was reversed. The out-of-bounds rules have made college wrestling immeasurably more exciting and it would be great if the mat sizes added to rather than took away from that excitement. I am sure price and space are issues, but I would imagine most schools could tape a three or four foot wide section of mat running the length of the four sides of the mat without too many issues.

Section 1. Mats Art. 1. Mat Specifications. Mats shall have a competition circle between 32 and 42 feet in diameter. There shall be a matted area with a minimum width of five feet that extends entirely around the competition circle. The competition circle and matted area shall be differentiated by the use of either contrasting colors or a 2-inch-wide line. This 2-inch-wide line that outlines the edge of the competition circle is part of the wrestling area and therefore in bounds. (See Diagram 1 at the end of Rule 1.) Note: Since shrinkage occurs in wrestling mats, it is recommended that when purchasing or reconditioning a mat, institutions indicate to the manufacturer that the final shrunken diameter shall be no less than 32 feet. Art. 2. Mat Safety Standards. The entire competition circle and surrounding matted area shall be the same thickness and all wrestling mats shall comply with the ASTM Specification Standard for wrestling mats. All mats that are in sections shall be secured together.

• Love
Reactions: Ski and RealMicah
Ge
good luck getting the cult to see reality. it’s not enough for the team to be great. they all have to be choir boys too. cael would NEVER allow a jerk on his team you know….
Take your dictionary out and look up cult lol. If your going to use the English language understand what the hell your saying. If it were a cult everyone would agree what he did was ok but it is clearly apparent that some on this board have an issue with this behavior and I'm one of them. Annnnd nobody said a thing about Cael condoning it you just threw that in like a typical Iowa fans oblivious of what's real. Get it straight

The video starts with Carter pushing his elbow into Washington's neck while trying to turn him. The horn blows. Carter pushes Washington downward after the horn. The Ref is in the way but you can still see it. Nothing egregious but also unnecessary. Washington gets in Carter's face and the ref pulls Washington away. Carter stays close and pushes Washington......escalating the situation. Coaches grab their wrestlers and tell each to shake hands. They do but keep jawing. If you can't see Carter pointing and jawing after the handshake you are being willfully ignorant. We don't know what was said ( but you claim to know Washington was threatening someone...... DUHH ) but the coaches do. Coach Cunningham was pretty upset and Cael looked upset. Indiana's coach was equally upset with his wrestler. THAT is what is visible on the tape to anyone with their eyes open. I anxiously await your childish swearing and name calling.

Laughable bullshit - funny how the impartial generalist sports writer who posted the twitter sees it completely diametrically opposite of your claims and in-line with what I posted. Funny how that works - you claiming the opposite of what the person who posted the video states, but somehow you're winning..... LMAO.

On another topic, I'm watching the recording of the Michigan State/Illinois dual. In the 149 match there is a great example of why I would like to see teams increase the size of the out-of-bounds portion of their mats. The Illinois wrestler is in the splits and is able to get his toe out-of-bounds right as he gets pulled in and taken down. The 2nd official did a good job catching it (as did the Illinois staff) and the call was reversed. The out-of-bounds rules have made college wrestling immeasurably more exciting and it would be great if the mat sizes added to rather than took away from that excitement. I am sure price and space are issues, but I would imagine most schools could tape a three or four foot wide section of mat running the length of the four sides of the mat without too many issues.

Section 1. Mats Art. 1. Mat Specifications. Mats shall have a competition circle between 32 and 42 feet in diameter. There shall be a matted area with a minimum width of five feet that extends entirely around the competition circle. The competition circle and matted area shall be differentiated by the use of either contrasting colors or a 2-inch-wide line. This 2-inch-wide line that outlines the edge of the competition circle is part of the wrestling area and therefore in bounds. (See Diagram 1 at the end of Rule 1.) Note: Since shrinkage occurs in wrestling mats, it is recommended that when purchasing or reconditioning a mat, institutions indicate to the manufacturer that the final shrunken diameter shall be no less than 32 feet. Art. 2. Mat Safety Standards. The entire competition circle and surrounding matted area shall be the same thickness and all wrestling mats shall comply with the ASTM Specification Standard for wrestling mats. All mats that are in sections shall be secured together.
We were watching the match today and thought the exact same thing.

I am so confused with all of this talk both for and against Carter. I'll have to wait for FLR tomorrow for the fair and fully unbiased analysis.

Reactions: RealMicah
Ge

Take your dictionary out and look up cult lol. If your going to use the English language understand what the hell your saying. If it were a cult everyone would agree what he did was ok but it is clearly apparent that some on this board have an issue with this behavior and I'm one of them. Annnnd nobody said a thing about Cael condoning it you just threw that in like a typical Iowa fans oblivious of what's real. Get it straight
Ian Astbury is flexible with a mic stand, But he's 60 years old and has zero mobility with those boots and those scarves...Billy Duffy can play guitar like a God, but cannot stop a freight train double. Matt Sorum probably is the best wrestler on the team but he only wrestles difficult drum fills, rather than actual college wrestlers.

The Cult..as a wrestling team...stinks. But as a classic rock band...is top 20.

Reactions: Petch
Well if it's any consolation consider what it took to get it there: The most controversial tweet by a wrestler with a history of them, followed by the other wrestler practically stalling himself out, followed by a thorough beat down, followed by a bizarre reaction by the same wrestler who basically tapped out of the same match that he suddenly was interested in again after getting hammered for 7 minutes....

That's not likely to happen again in that sequence, regardless of the opponent, now that it's resulted in the mess that we just saw.

Cael will handle it and Carter will behave better, but don't expect the ghost of Andy Matter to take over the twitter account either.

The thing is the tweet was unnecessary. I hear folks say Washington had his 7 minutes in the circle to take care of it. Well, the tweet only happened because Washington took care of business in the circle 3 years ago. If CStar didn't like it, he didn't need to tweet about it. Take your 7 minutes in the circle to take care of business this year, shake his hand, and mission accomplished. CStar unnecessarily instigated it. If he needs to do that stuff publicly to get himself mentally ready to wrestle, then he needs to step back and reevaluate his approach.

He can bring it back out when he is in MMA. It will sell tickets and make him money. I am still naive enough to believe college athletics should be above this.

One other point of view to consider. Wrestling is a sport such that sometimes rivalries develop that become personal. I don’t have an example in mind that I can think of right away, but I’m pretty sure everyone posting here knows what I’m talking about.

It appears that Starocci and Washington have developed a rivalry that has become personal. I’m not pointing fingers at either wrestler regarding who did whatever first. I’m guessing that the coaches on both teams are going to have a private discussion with their respective wrestler and tell them to stop the BS before it gets out of hand. If today’s events are the worst, it’s not going to amount to much over the long term.

100%. Carter was the problem today. Anybody thinking otherwise has fan blinders on.

Eventually, you all need to reckon with the god’s honest truth: Carter Starocci is a huge asshole. But he’s YOUR asshole and an incredible wrestler, so enjoy the product he puts on the mat.

Save your breath on defending him. It gets exhausting. Trust me, I went through it with Gilman and Desanto. Every sport has its villains. You guys finally have one!
Ahh yes…another thoughtful message from a non-biased, objective poster. Thanks for your input!

Question…Have you ever seen Terry Brands wrestle? Huge asshole or not…in your “objective“ opinion?

Carter claiming Washington stares him down at tournaments strikes me as some Terry Brands level paranoia tbh. They probably made just made brief incidental eye contact and Carter felt it was an eternity because Washington beat him before. Candidly though, maybe there is something we don't know. After all, he never had extras with Michael Kemerer (who can to be honest?) to my knowledge and Kemerer beat him worse.

Cael is all about psychological advantages, he views being humble as one of them. Said after a dual where there was excess showboating "never give your opponent a reason to want to beat you more" Carter takes a polar opposite approach to that. I wasn't a fan of him posting on Instagram that he "killed Mekhi's dreams" after the class his parents (and Mekhi as well) showed him matside after the finals. I think Carter thinks any kind thoughts is disadvantage to what he wants to do.

Carter claiming Washington stares him down at tournaments strikes me as some Terry Brands level paranoia tbh. They probably made just made brief incidental eye contact and Carter felt it was an eternity because Washington beat him before. Candidly though, maybe there is something we don't know. After all, he never had extras with Michael Kemerer (who can to be honest?) to my knowledge and Kemerer beat him worse.

Cael is all about psychological advantages, he views being humble as one of them. Said after a dual where there was excess showboating "never give your opponent a reason to want to beat you more" Carter takes a polar opposite approach to that. I wasn't a fan of him posting on Instagram that he "killed Mekhi's dreams" after the class his parents (and Mekhi as well) showed him matside after the finals. I think Carter thinks any kind thoughts is disadvantage to what he wants to do.
I’ve not been anywhere close to this level at anything but I preferred a calm focus. It worked for me.

The thing is the tweet was unnecessary. I hear folks say Washington had his 7 minutes in the circle to take care of it. Well, the tweet only happened because Washington took care of business in the circle 3 years ago. If CStar didn't like it, he didn't need to tweet about it. Take your 7 minutes in the circle to take care of business this year, shake his hand, and mission accomplished. CStar unnecessarily instigated it. If he needs to do that stuff publicly to get himself mentally ready to wrestle, then he needs to step back and reevaluate his approach.

He can bring it back out when he is in MMA. It will sell tickets and make him money. I am still naive enough to believe college athletics should be above this.
Makes sense , I personally blame them both. It’s hard to have real drama if you don’t play into it.

Reactions: Shot of Espresso
I think we all remember Cenzo calling out and threatening to fight Keaton Subjeck, and Mark Hall’s infamous throat slash and best Triple H “suck it” impression toward Alex Meyer several years later.

Edit: forgot about last year when Cael called Paul Jenn’s dad collect and threatened to beat him up.

• Haha
Reactions: bourbon n blues
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT