ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State vs Kent State Threadstravaganza

I was skeptical about Mahon at LT and I think, my skepticism is justified, just not good enough feet. But yes, the coaches know a lot more than me and they are actually at practice.

young-frankenstein.gif

New OC, new QB, same crappy offense. Wasn't expecting 94 ... But wanted better than the last two years!

Last edited:
In other words it looks exactly like last years offense. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss?
Frustration and bourbon are not a good mix, I need another hobby. :)

We're only about 20 yards shy of what our total offense was for the whole first game last year...I would say that's an improvement.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Based on everything I've read throughout the first half, most of you people must have had some real pie-in-the-sky expectations given this team has a whole new offense under a new QB with an o-line that no one still trusts. It's no good only being up 16(17)-13 on these clowns at half but it's not like we're watching Matt Senneca vs USC or BOB's first game vs Ohio. I'd like to see more straight stuff to Barkley rather than the read-option stuff. On the TD drive, Trace was real good with the reads but since then, it hasn't been as good. He missed out on an easy first down opportunity on 3rd and 1 when he handed off to Robinson and then watched Barkley get swept under by a run blitz instead of pulling and taking off. From a throwing standpoint, I think I've seen one pass over the middle and that was the Hamilton TD. In fact, that might be Hamilton's only target. Is there a rule when you step on the UP campus that 85% of the throws have to go up the sideline? Defensively, they've adjusted well to the misdirection stuff Kent State has thrown at them but I think they're still a step slow in certain spots. The back 4 need to be a little more aggressive in the running game as it doesn't look like Kent State is all that interested in throwing the ball. We'll see what kind of adjustments they've got cooking.

Offense looks remarkably like last year. No running room and everything deep is incomplete.

Defense just lacks playmakers outside. White and Reid.

Kick returns no better but punting much better

Just a refresher Illinois beat this team by 50 last yr. So you ask why Pitt is confident. There you go.

S/B 17-6.....(I KNOW, COULDA SHOUDA)!

Lots of positives:

- no procedure or delays on O
- 2 of 3 kickoffs were touchbacks
- outstanding punting
- D gave up only 6 pts

It's the first game.....they'll be fine!

Reactions: irncty
Just my opinion, but in person it looks like McSorley is missing a lot of reads on the read option out there. He needs to keep it more than he has so far.

Reactions: CDLionFL
Most of you guys are over reacting. The OLine is struggling but the offense overall is way more dynamic. We will be fine. I'm more concerned about the DLine. I like that they are playing a lot of guys, but I'm not sure anyone on the interior is separating themselves. Tackling has been poor. Overall, this team is an improvement over last year. Let's get McGovern and Menet in the game this next half!!!

Reactions: Nitt1300
Franklin is a big part of the problem sorry if you wanna pay him $5 mill for this garbage..why?

Franklin is a big part of the problem sorry if you wanna pay him $5 mill for this garbage..why?

And who would be better? Didn't you post a while ago that Matt Rhule would be better? So much for your opinion.

Most of you guys are over reacting. The OLine is struggling but the offense overall is way more dynamic. We will be fine. I'm more concerned about the DLine. I like that they are playing a lot of guys, but I'm not sure anyone on the interior is separating themselves. Tackling has been poor. Overall, this team is an improvement over last year. Let's get McGovern and Menet in the game this next half!!!
Actually Phil Steele rates Kent state as best defense in MAC THIS YEAR. They have a GOOD D, but offensively they are are weak and minus top 2 wr. We need to adjust defensively this half. Crossroads for Pry here.

In scores of other games (say it like the 80s/90s Beaver Stadium PA guy, not the moron that's up there now) -- Wisky is having no problem with that so-called Southern speed in Lambeau. 13-0 Badgers.

I was overly optimistic going into today's game and have been very negative during the game.

I just fired me as a Penn State fan.

It is disappointing because we all know if OL stinks this will be what offense does all yr. Other teams with better defenses will load box and you'll see Barkley tagged in backfield all yr. Get your booz ready..long yr.

And Wiscy going to beat LSU good for them. Maybe some day PSU will get its moment in the sun. Just not in our lifetime it appears.

One other thing that hasn't changed from previous years is that the negativity on this board is already in midseason form for game one. Good thing we're not UTenn, Miss St, NW or Temple fans or there would likely be reports of mass suicides throughout the fan base!

I understand we're not putting a UM or OSU style whooping on KSU, but I'll wait until we lose before thinking about jumping off a cliff.

KSU had the worst ranked offense in FBS last yr!! Look decent with true frosh against this defense. I have had it with Shoop and Pry that is for sure.

It is disappointing because we all know if OL stinks this will be what offense does all yr. Other teams with better defenses will load box and you'll see Barkley tagged in backfield all yr. Get your booz ready..long yr.

don_draper_drinking.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT