ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State vs Lehigh: Most Intriguing Matchup

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
How about some wrestling talk as a distraction from the nonstop idiot Iowa poster garbage?

It’s either Nagao vs Crookham or Brooks vs Beard. Though I like Beard, I don’t really think he’ll have much for Aaron. Let’s talk about Nagao vs Crookham.

Crookham seems kind of tall for 133, and at least against Vito his defense was elite. Nagao is shorter in stature and his strength is mat wrestling, not the neutral position. How do people see this going down? Thoughts? Predictions?

I’ll say fairly low scoring but Nagao’s ride is too much. Nagao wins 5-2.

Reactions: FatWoodchuck
What interests me most is who Cael sends out at 125. I’m guessing it’s not yet decidedly Davis and therefore he won’t go so that he can keep using one-day tourneys (where he can wrestle multiple opponents) for his five events. So I expect to see Howard.

Reactions: NittanyChris
How about some wrestling talk as a distraction from the nonstop idiot Iowa poster garbage?

It’s either Nagao vs Crookham or Brooks vs Beard. Though I like Beard, I don’t really think he’ll have much for Aaron. Let’s talk about Nagao vs Crookham.

Crookham seems kind of tall for 133, and at least against Vito his defense was elite. Nagao is shorter in stature and his strength is mat wrestling, not the neutral position. How do people see this going down? Thoughts? Predictions?

Don’t underestimate Nagao’s neutral wrestling..

Reactions: Ja1339 and Sullivan
Crookham will not take down against Aaron. He's too smart. He didn't even take down against McGonagle. He will give himself two periods starting in his best position.

I also don't see Crookham putting himself in a position to get reversed. He'll just cut Aaron if things are getting hairy.

Aaron will probably have to get a TD to win this. He likely only needs one, but it will be difficult.

I'll go 6-3 Crookham this go round. We'll see what happens later in the year.

Reactions: hlstone

Nagao isn’t short. He’s a pretty lanky 133. Significantly taller than Daton Fix, taller than 141 Jesse Mendez, etc.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
Nagao isn’t short. He’s a pretty lanky 133. Significantly taller than Daton Fix, taller than 141 Jesse Mendez, etc.
If you reread my post, I never wrote that he was short, I wrote he was “shorter in stature” relative to Crookham. I think that’s accurate, but I could be wrong.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cael sent Robbie out there against Seymour. Davis has already proven he can beat guys of that caliber, so maybe Robbie gets another shot to see if he can improve. Or not.

I wonder who we send out at 141. Beau just put it on Hines a couple of weeks ago. Evans lost a close one to him. Maybe we send out Kasak for a test since he's still got 4 free dates left. I might do that, but Cael probably just plays it straight.

What do we do at 57 if Levi needs another week or so? Does it make any sense to wrestle him against somebody he just bonused if he's not fully 100%? Would we send out Gibson maybe? Brignola would be a tough one for him but that would be interesting.

I don't think Beard-Brooks will be close. MD at the least.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cael sent Robbie out there against Seymour. Davis has already proven he can beat guys of that caliber, so maybe Robbie gets another shot to see if he can improve. Or not.

I wonder who we send out at 141. Beau just put it on Hines a couple of weeks ago. Evans lost a close one to him. Maybe we send out Kasak for a test since he's still got 4 free dates left. I might do that, but Cael probably just plays it straight.

What do we do at 57 if Levi needs another week or so? Does it make any sense to wrestle him against somebody he just bonused if he's not fully 100%? Would we send out Gibson maybe? Brignola would be a tough one for him but that would be interesting.

All sound great on paper as a plan forward.

IIRC, in his first presser of this year, Cael said something about making sure all eventual NCAA starters got enough matches to qualify for corresponding NCAA ranking criteria. If this is a real focus, then I think there may be fewer exploratory substitutes this year. So Howard vs Davis could be telling.

Fewer substitutes might especially apply to any who may need to take future time and miss a future dual to prepare for US Senior Nationals. I'm not sure whether any you mentioned is definitely going. Maybe Bartlett or Haines have plans for Senior Nationals. If they do, then I see them more likely to start against Lehigh.

IIRC, in his first presser of this year, Cael said something about making sure all eventual NCAA starters got enough matches to qualify for corresponding NCAA ranking criteria. If this is a real focus, then I think there may be fewer exploratory substitutes this year. So Howard vs Davis could be telling.
Davis and Howard have each wrestled 7 matches.

If Davis goes against Lehigh, then he's likely the starter for the rest of the year. He's already beaten comparable/better, and 5 significantly better remain on the schedule, so there's no value in using a competition date here. If Howard isn't capable, Steen could go.

No long-term conclusion can be drawn by starting Howard.

There are nearby opens in each of the next 3 weekends: Mat Town on Sunday, Patriot (George Mason) on 12/3, and Cleveland State on 12/9. Decent chance of our 125s going to at least one of them.

Davis and Howard have each wrestled 7 matches.

If Davis goes against Lehigh, then he's likely the starter for the rest of the year. He's already beaten comparable/better, and 5 significantly better remain on the schedule, so there's no value in using a competition date here. If Howard isn't capable, Steen could go.

No long-term conclusion can be drawn by starting Howard.

There are nearby opens in each of the next 3 weekends: Mat Town on Sunday, Patriot (George Mason) on 12/3, and Cleveland State on 12/9. Decent chance of our 125s going to at least one of them.
My thought is maybe keep sending Davis to tournaments to accumulate more matches while retaining redshirt status (5 event limit) while you start Howard in duals and see if it comes together for him.

Again you people know little about wrestling Nagao will be to much for Crookham to handle and we have Gabe taking out Carter joke’s people get real

Send Kasak out there. Isn’t he from the Lehigh Valley?

My thought is maybe keep sending Davis to tournaments to accumulate more matches while retaining redshirt status (5 event limit) while you start Howard in duals and see if it comes together for him.
It's tricky with Howard too, because he has wrestled better in earlier matches. Is that due to lesser opponents, or conditioning and tourney wear/tear? Probably some of each ...

Seymour stand-alone would help answer the former. More tourneys would address the latter.

For either, potentially some good opponents at Mat Town (Noto, Ungar); Patriot (Noto, Gallagher, Miller); CSU (Berginc).

Reactions: mcpat

Having Kasak go against Lehigh is interesting, but I doubt it will happen. Expect to see Bartlett again.

Haines will be a spectator if he's not 100%. PSU doesn't need him in this dual, so it makes no sense to have him go with even a minor ding. Not sure who would fill in for Haines, maybe Heard or Pierce bumps up from 149?

Is Gibson able to go at 157? Thought he was at 165?, but that may be only because that's where the spreadsheet has him.

Will Lehigh send out Crookham? Will we send out Howard or Davis? Or the much improved GasTank Gary Steen?

• Haha
Reactions: JimNazium
Is Gibson able to go at 157? Thought he was at 165?, but that may be only because that's where the spreadsheet has him.
This has been asked before and not yet answered. Nobody seems to know his certification weight.

If he's certified at 157, then descent is not a rules issue since he has yet to officially weigh in this year.

Nagao’s ride will need to produce some NF or it‘s only worth 1 point.

How does Crook get 2?? He aint escaping or reversing Aaron is he?
He took down Arujau, right?

IMO Nagao is better, but Crookham adopted the Lehigh style and will look for counter takedowns. Nagao will need to remain disciplined on feet fo 6+ minutes.

If he does, he might win 1-0. Or 7-0 with two T3 + RT.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
He took down Arujau, right?

IMO Nagao is better, but Crookham adopted the Lehigh style and will look for counter takedowns. Nagao will need to remain disciplined on feet fo 6+ minutes.

If he does, he might win 1-0. Or 7-0 with two T3 + RT.
Agreed. Im picking our guy. As of now Crook is a flash in the pan IMO,beating Nagao might move him to everyone‘s top spot, not just Flo’s.

Reactions: hlstone and El-Jefe
Does anyone know what Carter weighed on Tuesday? Is it possible he can get down to 74 kgs by Dec 15th?

If not, winning the NC or the final qualifier held shortly after the season is his only other avenue to the trials ... am I wrong?

Agreed. Im picking our guy. As of now Crook is a flash in the pan IMO,beating Nagao might move him to everyone‘s top spot, not just Flo’s.
I would hardly characterize Crookham as "a flash in the pan". He was a highly ranked recruited (PSU went after him pretty hard as I recall) and has passed his one big test so far. We'll see how it goes against Nageo and Fix, but no reason at this point to think he's not legit.

Crook beat Arrington and Haines in HS and proved himself twice in day in D1. He's no joke. I as well think that Nagao will win on his feet and be prepared for lots of scrambles!

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Wasn’t crookham a top 3 signing and highest ever recruit at Lehigh?

I would hardly characterize Crookham as "a flash in the pan". He was a highly ranked recruited (PSU went after him pretty hard as I recall) and has passed his one big test so far. We'll see how it goes against Nageo and Fix, but no reason at this point to think he's not legit.
Agree Bruce…and if Cael had landed him, then he beat Vito, we’d be saying he’s a future multi time champion…

Agree Bruce…and if Cael had landed him, then he beat Vito, we’d be saying he’s a future multi time champion…
I agree with this, but at the same time, THAT was not the Vito I saw in Belgrade or the NCAA tournament last year.

Wasn’t crookham a top 3 signing and highest ever recruit at Lehigh?
He was a highly ranked recruit. Probably was top 3 at one point, not sure he was at the end, after missing his entire JR year and most of his SR year.

Highest ever at Lehigh? Conceivable. Beckman and Jordan Wood were top 10. Darian Cruz probably was too. In any case, Lehigh has not been a destination for top recruits.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
FYI - I heard from a very reliable source that Vito is dealing with a minor ding and he won’t be competing at CKLV. (bummer). Whether or not that had anything to do with how he wrestled against Crookham, I do not know.

Hidlay did take it to Beard 12-3 two weeks ago, so there is that data point to take into consideration.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT