ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan is next up! Most intriguing matchup…

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
The highest ranked battle is Kerk-Parris and despite Kerk’s dominance of Parris last season, it is intriguing, because reportedly Parris was injured all year. (I know, I know, Kerk was hurting also!) However, IMO, the matchup I most want to see is Levi vs #8 Lewan. Lewan, is very sound defensively, and while Levi virtually scored at will against Model, that won’t be the case vs Lewan. Will the Uber talented freshman prevail in a low-scoring defensive bout?

I’ll say Levi ekes out a 3-2 win.

What do others think? Predictions? How will the match play out?

At 125, Steen vs McHenry could be interesting. It seems that in most matches this year, Steen is sort of getting big-brothered, and McHenry is not a big 125 by any means. If Steen gets pushed around and taken down at will in this match, it will be telling that he needs to hit the weight room.

I want to see if RBY has completely separated himself from the pack at 133. Ragusin is a solid competitor and Intermat has him at #5. I have no doubt that RBY wins (he's currently 3-0 against him), but I want to see if he will be able to put up bonus.

Should be another match that Beau is able to have his way in at 141 against Mattin. If Beau truly is who he has looked like so far this year, it should be another controlled victory for him. In what looked like it could be the start of his most offensive match last year, Beau got to the legs quickly, but Mattin got hurt and Inj Def after 0:12. Will be a good measuring stick.

I believe Van Ness will show he should be closer to the Top 10 after this matchup with #20 Lamer. His pace and relentless attack is going to be trouble for anyone outside of the Top 5.

157 is the bout I, and probably everyone else, will be looking forward to. Perhaps Levi's in your face style will offset the boringness of Lewan, but he will need to be sure he stays in good position and finishes cleanly. I don't think Levi will be able to take the sloppy shots he did again Model and still be able to use his strength to pull the leg in to finish. This will be a great measuring stick for Levi, should he be the one who goes.

165 is another bout that has some interest from me. Again, I think Facundo is going to fall short, but I think it will be good to see where he is at at this point in the year.

174-197 will showcase our Murderer's Row doing what they do best. God, it's great to know we have that cushion in the back half of our lineup!

285 will finish the dual with a great match! It's nice to not be looking for the exits when Heavies take the mat. This should put to rest "_______ wasn't at full strength last year because he was injured." Both Kerk and Parris look healthy and ready to rock. Should be fun!

Overall, this should be a comfortable win for PSU with some fun matches to watch. Some of our young guys are going to get tested, and that's perfect for this time of year. Can't wait!

At 125, Steen vs McHenry could be interesting. It seems that in most matches this year, Steen is sort of getting big-brothered, and McHenry is not a big 125 by any means. If Steen gets pushed around and taken down at will in this match, it will be telling that he needs to hit the weight room.

I want to see if RBY has completely separated himself from the pack at 133. Ragusin is a solid competitor and Intermat has him at #5. I have no doubt that RBY wins (he's currently 3-0 against him), but I want to see if he will be able to put up bonus.

Should be another match that Beau is able to have his way in at 141 against Mattin. If Beau truly is who he has looked like so far this year, it should be another controlled victory for him. In what looked like it could be the start of his most offensive match last year, Beau got to the legs quickly, but Mattin got hurt and Inj Def after 0:12. Will be a good measuring stick.

I believe Van Ness will show he should be closer to the Top 10 after this matchup with #20 Lamer. His pace and relentless attack is going to be trouble for anyone outside of the Top 5.

157 is the bout I, and probably everyone else, will be looking forward to. Perhaps Levi's in your face style will offset the boringness of Lewan, but he will need to be sure he stays in good position and finishes cleanly. I don't think Levi will be able to take the sloppy shots he did again Model and still be able to use his strength to pull the leg in to finish. This will be a great measuring stick for Levi, should he be the one who goes.

165 is another bout that has some interest from me. Again, I think Facundo is going to fall short, but I think it will be good to see where he is at at this point in the year.

174-197 will showcase our Murderer's Row doing what they do best. God, it's great to know we have that cushion in the back half of our lineup!

285 will finish the dual with a great match! It's nice to not be looking for the exits when Heavies take the mat. This should put to rest "_______ wasn't at full strength last year because he was injured." Both Kerk and Parris look healthy and ready to rock. Should be fun!

Overall, this should be a comfortable win for PSU with some fun matches to watch. Some of our young guys are going to get tested, and that's perfect for this time of year. Can't wait!
Great post!

Reactions: mcpat and OzarkLion
I believe Levi will push the issue and score repeatedly. 8-3 or worse.

Facundo will struggle to get past Amine's hands, but this match will be one of those matches won or lost on attitude. Amine isn't going to wow the world with his offensive pressure. One of two things happens. Either Facundo pushes the attack pace relentlessly, which allows him to win, or Facundo allows Amine to wrestle a controlled match with tons of hand fighting and only one or two real attacks in which case Amine probably wins.

I believe Levi will push the issue and score repeatedly. 8-3 or worse.

Facundo will struggle to get past Amine's hands, but this match will be one of those matches won or lost on attitude. Amine isn't going to wow the world with his offensive pressure. One of two things happens. Either Facundo pushes the attack pace relentlessly, which allows him to win, or Facundo allows Amine to wrestle a controlled match with tons of hand fighting and only one or two real attacks in which case Amine probably wins.
it also helps that this is regular season amine. far from unbeatable. berge beat him last year after all

I’m an absolute homer but I think both Levi and Facundo win. Levi has impressed me most with how he is finishing a super high percentage of his attacks. He can’t get stretched out against Lewan like he did on his last td against Model but his other shots where he doubled off and lifted immediately were super clean. If he can get that deep against Lewan he will finish and it’s great because it leads right to his turk. Facundo vs Amine should be low scoring but Facundo has really been pushing the pace this year and I think it leads to a 3rd period td. Big tests for our young studs and I think they pass

The Lewan match feels like one he loses the first time 3-2 in really frustrating manner, but beats him the next time around. Lewan is underestimated a lot because he's so damn boring, but he does win matches.

Reactions: Fatmarc and zzs006
The Lewan match feels like one he loses the first time 3-2 in really frustrating manner, but beats him the next time around. Lewan is underestimated a lot because he's so damn boring, but he does win matches.
That’s fair and could very well happen. I’m hoping Levi’s offensive pressure will win out this time as well.

I mostly agree with this. Another factor is that there aren't a lot of guys in the PSU room to practice against who utilize Lewan's, um, style

However, if Levi can get swipes, especially a 2+2 or 2+4, not sure Lewan overcomes that. And Levi is pretty good at continuing takedowns into NF.

I want to see if RBY has completely separated himself from the pack at 133.
😎

One of those moments, if I asked the question, when someone would respond with an “asked, answered” type of response. Lol.

Your read on the match was good reading. Thanks!

Reactions: OzarkLion
I mostly agree with this. Another factor is that there aren't a lot of guys in the PSU room to practice against who utilize Lewan's, um, style

However, if Levi can get swipes, especially a 2+2 or 2+4, not sure Lewan overcomes that. And Levi is pretty good at continuing takedowns into NF.
I do not enjoy watching Lewan in a Stallalonga type of way but…..if Levi didn anything remotely like a NF on Lewan it would be impressive indeed.

Give me Amine vs Facundo assuming Alex is a go as the one I am most interested in. Alex used to beat Amine in HS but Amine has jumped levels definitely and is clearly the favorite. Last year, Amine took some weird losses in regular season (injury) but turned it on for the postseason beating Bull, Kharchla and Hamiti. Obviously how Levi (assuming he is a go) does against an AA is a good gage as well. How Kerk and Parris does both healthy is very intriguing.

Also surprisingly enough, Cole Mattin is probably Bartlett's toughest match to date. Bartlett beat him 8-4 in the free year at 141 and unfortunately last year, Mattin got hurt the first 10 seconds of the dual. Chance Lamer is no slouch as well, probably not Gomez/Paniro level but definitely a step up from anyone Van Ness has beaten this year so far. For reference, he beat Colin Realbuto 18-2 in 3:32.

So yeah, long story short, good dual all around.

Final Note: This dual has "team looks tired and flat and we wonder what's going on" written all over it. It's January, we aren't on the road for 3 duals in a row and just got back from Wisconsin (after the Holidays) I think Cael plans to train them through it and be rested for Iowa. Wouldn't be shocked if Cael pushes them very hard and we have a few matches that don't look good, wouldn't be shocked to even see a loss somewhere we aren't expecting. Don't panic lol.

it also helps that this is regular season amine. far from unbeatable. berge beat him last year after all
Hey, Berge had a lot of medical issues, or else he would have been in the debate as an all-time great.

Sorry. Wrong thread.

giphy.gif

😎

One of those moments, if I asked the question, when someone would respond with an “asked, answered” type of response. Lol.

Your read on the match was good reading. Thanks!
Thanks! And with RBY, I don't think anyone comes close to beating him this year, but he seems to wrestle a little tighter against better competition. It was a very controlled 4-0 decision the last time these two met after (2) 7 point victories. Our hammers in the past would absolutely dominate the best competition, leaving no doubt, bonusing guys in the Finals. While RBY has become a "next topic" kind of wrestler, I'm a sucker for bonus points!

Final Note: This dual has "team looks tired and flat and we wonder what's going on" written all over it. It's January, we aren't on the road for 3 duals in a row and just got back from Wisconsin (after the Holidays) I think Cael plans to train them through it and be rested for Iowa. Wouldn't be shocked if Cael pushes them very hard and we have a few matches that don't look good, wouldn't be shocked to even see a loss somewhere we aren't expecting. Don't panic lol.

Not an issue. Cael called and ask if I would practice with Levi this week. I have 40 plus closer to 45 plus) years and 60 pounds on Levi. I stand around, do nothing but sprawl and suck on O2. Levi has this.

My guess, and my hope, is that Levi’s desire to wrestle this season along with him separating himself a bit more from Claw with his recent dominance of Model, has forced the coaches’ hand and taken a redshirt for this season off the table.
Forced the coaches’ hand? I understand the concept but it seems oxymoronic when used in reference to Cael and co.

I'm very eager to see Kerk vs Parris. Two high level wrestlers that actually attack and try to score points.

I'm hoping we see Kerk continue what he started last year and erase all doubt that he is the man to beat at HWY.

Give me Amine vs Facundo assuming Alex is a go as the one I am most interested in. Alex used to beat Amine in HS but Amine has jumped levels definitely and is clearly the favorite. Last year, Amine took some weird losses in regular season (injury) but turned it on for the postseason beating Bull, Kharchla and Hamiti. Obviously how Levi (assuming he is a go) does against an AA is a good gage as well. How Kerk and Parris does both healthy is very intriguing.

Also surprisingly enough, Cole Mattin is probably Bartlett's toughest match to date. Bartlett beat him 8-4 in the free year at 141 and unfortunately last year, Mattin got hurt the first 10 seconds of the dual. Chance Lamer is no slouch as well, probably not Gomez/Paniro level but definitely a step up from anyone Van Ness has beaten this year so far. For reference, he beat Colin Realbuto 18-2 in 3:32.

I believe Cael did this last year against Michigan as well. Seems like a good time to do it with so many good/close matchups.

Reactions: McScoreley

You are probably right, but might be a little selective. Some might look tired Friday (Max) and brisk on Sunday, and the others more brisk Friday (Levi) and tired Sunday.

Reactions: McScoreley
The highest ranked battle is Kerk-Parris and despite Kerk’s dominance of Parris last season, it is intriguing, because reportedly Parris was injured all year. (I know, I know, Kerk was hurting also!) However, IMO, the matchup I most want to see is Levi vs #8 Lewan. Lewan, is very sound defensively, and while Levi virtually scored at will against Model, that won’t be the case vs Lewan. Will the Uber talented freshman prevail in a low-scoring defensive bout?

The question is will Lewan take any shots, It's Scums MO especially Lewan's to hang out and counter at the end on periods in tight matches.

I'm very eager to see Kerk vs Parris. Two high level wrestlers that actually attack and try to score points.

I'm hoping we see Kerk continue what he started last year and erase all doubt that he is the man to beat at HWY.
Me 2.

Kerk has been on a continual upward trajectory for 3 years and he is just now demonstrating his new level of skill, and physical dominance. He's gone from 230 to 240 to 250 and in my opinion has lost zero quickness, gained almost entirely muscle. He posesses both the size and power to handle the biggest guys.

That counter to the single last match was masterful. That was some high level wrestling. Kerk is so much more than a big body, his skill is impressive.

I hereby dub thee Greg 'Big Cat' Kerkvliet.

well Lewan doesn't score much either not to good on the O!!I take Levi all day long!

RBY could bonus everyone if he wanted to!

how has Amine jumped level when he can't score??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT